• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Thing is, Meta Knight's combination of agility and multi-jumps means that he has quite a few positives going for him out of the gate. Alongside the multiple jumps and lots of recovery mixups he's also able to chain and pressure with those very quick attacks of his. Even to the point where an opponent has to watch out for ladder combos (which oftentimes start from Dash Attack) or his Shuttle Loop / Mach Tornado just killing off the top. The ladders are very hard to pull off, but he doesn't lack options to pressure or set up traps of sorts. Down Tilt is a good example, since it can trip / lock at low % - while B-Air can drag-down opponents into the ground if one fast falls with it and thus set up another trap.

As a likely trade off, he does not have many attacks that linger (only his Specials do - those do put him at a helpless state if used in the air - and there's no shockwave or other projectiles) and he's kinda vurnerable once hit. It's also likely why his attacks are generally not that strong individually (except for F-Smash, and that has a very tight window) - Sakurai went all in on the "trade range for agility" aspect with him to emphasise his swordmanship. I don't get the impression that Sakurai meant to sell power with him - rather the fantasy of being this Zorro esque fencing master where skill is rewarded. Only with a short sword.

I don't mind Sakurai's implementation of him because of that - and while I wouldn't mind hearing ideas re: how to rework him if needed I do feel that those ideas would need to keep that combination of multi-jumps + agility in mind.
If he succeeds at what he's supposed to do, that makes me wonder if his primary issue is the lack of powerful hits combined with an extremely high skill floor. His Special Moveset and overall design might give players the impression that he's way easier than he is as well.

EDIT: Not issue. What I meant to say is that this may be why he feels bad to most people.

But obv ultimately it's subjective.
I see wat u did dere. :p

Last edited:

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
Lol that's wild. When Ultimate was announced, I was a sickly kid in the hospital for anxieties. Now I'm gonna learn French, coding, babysit for work and I attribute my success to Steve Minecraft getting into Smash.
still can’t believe he made it in tbh

it’s too good to be true (but it is)

Last edited:

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
I'm not sure I follow your logic.

SMTV was part of the 2017 Switch Presentation.
It "was", and then it began development a year later. And then we saw actual gameplay two years after development fully began.

That's completely different from "this game got announced and we're seeing it in action a year later".

A JPEG of a game's title isn't good enough to be considered, especially for a series as low profile as SMT.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
apparently back in the brawl days the masked man was a big request
this thread has more replies than the Bomberman, Isaac. and even Ness threads.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
I maintain no hype cycle will be topped by the era of the DOJO being active daily, running the chance of getting a newcomer dropped on you out of nowhere.

And if not that, even just getting a veteran or stage was pretty sweet too. My glasses couldn't be tinted more rosy.
I have vivid memories of waking up to Olimar and Pokémon Trainer reveals. Peak hype

Ivander

Smash Legend
who else been on the speculation hype train since brawl ?
While not on here, I was definitely on it when the Nintendo Power forums were up. And I certainly remember the hype when the sign "NEW CHALLENGER APPROCHES" appeared on the Dojo and we were shown Ike. Also, the memes that happened with some of the Dojo's Entries like "You Must Recover!" and whatnot.

Afterwards, I was away from the speculation train after Nintendo Power's forums changed until I joined here around almost 7 years ago in 2014, shortly after Smash 4 for Wii U came out.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
When Smash 64 became a thing, I was learning English.

When Melee was a thing, I was getting good grades and trying to catch them all.

When Brawl was announced, I was embodying Hot Topic and being depressed.

When Brawl was released, I was probably dying my hair, and doing some drugs.

When Smash 4 was announced, I was switching degrees like I was a thermostat, and attempting to keep a LDR afloat.

When Smash 4 was released, I was using hedonism to successfully combat my mental wellbeing.

When Ultimate was announced, I was living in New York with my boyfriend, working two jobs.

Now, I am happy if snarky dog-mom with my girlfriend, getting my master's done. :)

Somehow, of all things, Smash has been a constant. And yet, in (almost) all that time
I STILL HAVEN'T GOTTEN ISAAC

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Ah yes, Vectorman. One of SEGA's forgotten characters back in the 90s. If this forgotten robot was added, he would be a ranged fighter with all of his transforming modes and weapons. For the Final Smash, use OVERKILL (Yes, that is the weapon's name) as a vicinity blast.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I got a Question

So Nick All Star Brawl has some interesting Mechanics that seperates itself from Smash Bros, with one of the main things being no Dodges or Shield, but instead having Air Dashes and more Movement Options as it's defense

If Nick All Star makes a Splash in terms of reception and Sales, do you think we could see Smash take a few cues from Nick, like the Air Dashes. I've been interested in what Air Dashes would bring to Smash, and while I don't think shields and Dodges should be removed from Smash, perhaps we could see some ideas shared between the 2 games

Dukefire

Smash Master
Smash Ultimate has reused some mechanics from past smash iterations with some news ones like attacking on ladders and Final Smash meter (which could've been inspired by Super Smash Bros Crusade and Super Smash Flash 2).

I would say it is up to Nintendo on future Smash titles as Sakurai is stepping down from one of his life's work

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Crackpot Smash Ideas: The final fighter is all of the Dream Friends from Kirby Star Allies (except Meta Knight & King Dedede). You can actually unlock them for free, but you have to beat super EX versions of all of them in a new boss rush mode. Oh, and you have to complete the mode. It doesn't count if you just beat a few. Here's who you're up against:
  1. Bandana Waddle Dee
  2. Rick & Kine & Coo
  3. Marx
  4. Gooey
  5. Adeline & Ribbon
  6. Dark Meta Knight
  7. Daroach
  8. Magolor
  9. Taranza
  10. Susie
  11. The Three Mage-Sisters
Have fun. :troll:

EDIT: Also, this is a True Arena style gauntlet. You get a limited amount of healing items and that's it.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
Super Smash Bros brawl was when I was starting to actually care about character inclusions or have "MWs"

When SSB64 was a thing, I was just a wee lad and I was just excited to see Mario, Link, Pikachu, and Kirby all in a game together (God its kind of crazy to think back to such simpler times...)

Melee honestly just kind of came out of nowhere to me. My first recollection of its existance was seeing it at a Target store and seeing someone play as Sheik on the Super Mario World stage.

By the time Brawl was a thing, I was older then and I've expanded my gaming tastes and all, so I was starting to actually put thought into what chractaers could be in Smash and who I'd like to see in Smash.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
Brawl's wild west of speculation was definitely a cool environment (even though I wasn't really following Smash pre-Brawl's release). The idea of just seeing a newcomer out of nowhere one day is crazy.

But I love the character reveal trailers we get now. Every character feels like an event and special. That feeling of waiting with bated breath when the Smash logo appears. Seeing if you can figure out who it is as the trailer's playing. Sometimes being vindicated, and sometimes being caught off guard. They've got it down to a science at this point. The Kazuya trailer was great about that. At first I thought it was a new Zelda character, and then being blown away when I realized halfway through that it was actually a Tekken character, and then being blown away once more with the realization that it wasn't Heihachi but actually Kazuya.

Similarly, the Sephiroth trailer is definitely the best one they've put out for Smash and is one of my favorite game trailers period. Those opening notes of one winged angel, man. You just can't beat that.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
My history with Smash started with Brawl in about....2012. Yeah I was late to the party but at that time I didn't play too many Nintendo games aside from Mario, Pokemon, Kirby and a few others. I don't remember exactly what drove me to try out Brawl. I just saw it at a Walmart one day and asked my parents to get it. I think I was just curious because I heard things about it here and there and a Nintendo crossover fighter sounded intriguing. I sucked at it (And to this day I still think the controls are slippery and just not very good) but I enjoyed playing as Pikachu and some others so I pulled through and got a good ways through Subspace and the challenges.

Flash forward to two more years and I hear about Smash for 3DS and the fact that it had Pac Man and Mega Man caught my attention. Plus I was looking for more 3DS games to play. Let me tell you all, Smash 3DS came out at the perfect time in my life. It came out in the first semester of my high school freshmen year and I ended up finding a group whom I would hang out with for the rest of high school, and I have Smash to thank for that. I still talk to some of those people and we still play Smash and other games often.

Ultimate came out right as I ended high school and started college so in a way it marked a new era for me. I can't forget the summer of 2018 when I got a text from my best friend and he was freaking the **** out. "Yo dude, they brought back everyone! Including Snake and Ridley is here!" I was like no way and had to look up the presentation since I wasn't following Nintendo directs at the time, in fact I think that marked the time period where I did start to watch them live. The next 6 or so months were painful waiting for this game.

As for speculating characters, my friends did do that from time to time but it wasn't a major point of discussion for the most part and it wasn't until Ultimate that I started to get into the speculation scene. Even for Smash 4, my only want was for Snake to come back and that was pretty much it, aside from wanting Saffron City to return since we did get some standalone stages. But for Ultimate I jumped on the hype train and started to think about characters like crazy. Which paved the way for me to get psyched when I saw the August and when it opened with a castle, I just knew that my most wanted at that time was in. Oh man that feeling, that god dam feeling of hype is unlike anything else.

So eventually two years ago I made an account on here and the rest is history. I just want to say that this journey has been absolutely amazing. Ultimate has been a big part of my life for what feels like so long (Even though 4 years really isn't that long in the grand scheme of things). I got to meet so many wonderful people on here and I got to discover lots of video games that I otherwise might not have gotten the curiosity to try or even learn of their existence.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Since we’re sharing - I never had Smash 64, but loving recall that awesome mascot brawling commercial. My cousin had melee and we would play so much I convinced my parents to get me a GameCube and a copy of melee. I spent probably days worth of game time playing and inspecting every single trophy I could unlock. It was skimming through that catalogue where I started to wonder what other characters could make the cut in some far off sequel. That’s where my love of Nintendo history really began. I didn’t know what a Mach rider was, didn’t know what a kid icarus was, why some games said “Japan only” - but I started doing the homework to find out. Then the first Brawl trailer was on G4’s E3 coverage and I say metaknight, pit, wario - I knew something special was happening. From that point on it’s history

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Since others are doing it. I didn't know what a Smash Bros. was until my brother found out that Sonic was going to be in Brawl and then we watched all the pre release videos and when it finally came out we played it a lot, I still have fond memories like not knowing what a smash attack was and thinking the Hot Head was "The Fire Emblem" then several years passed I watched Nintendo's E3 conference started and Sm4sh was revealed and I was pretty into that games release cycle it came out, then Ultimate was announced and now I'm here typing about all of this right now.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
It is heavily rumored that God of War will be shown at the playstation showcase this week, it's also likely they might announce Uncharted for PC.

Nintendo could do a direct this week, but to do it in the same week when everybody would be talking about God of War and Uncharted would be foolish, anything they do is obviously gonna be overshadowed by a title as anticipated as God of War, even a Smash reveal. So it would be a very bad idea to drop it this week, next week is far more likely.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
When Smash 64 came out I wasn't even a fetus yet

When Melee came out I was literally a baby

When Brawl came out I was at like 1st grade, occasionally playing fanmade Sonic and Mario games on Newgrounds while being blissfully unaware of what the **** a "Nintendo" is

When Sm4sh came out I was a dumb kid who was just starting to get into gaming beyond flash games

When Ultimate came out I was an edgy teenager with too much snark for his own good and was the first time I was truly involved with speculation, if only briefly

And now that it's all over I'm a depressed 20 year old with a terrible job. Hopefully by Smash 6 I'll be able to turn my life around

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Might as well join in on this little retrospective..

Smash 64 released about a month before I was born, and wasn't even aware of it's existence til well after I got into Brawl (For a while I assumed Melee was the first game in the franchise).

My cousins were big gamers and had Melee which most of us would play whenever we visited (I was pretty young then, so not sure if I joined in or not, but I definitely remember it being played).

Then Brawl came around and my cousins again got it, and we played a ton, up to the point, my family ended up getting our own copy a couple years later. I was hooked, this was the game that really got me to to become the Smash fan I am today.

Smash 4 was the first game I followed prerelease, though I didn't follow in-depth speculation at all really, mostly just checked in on the Smash website and Smash wiki daily.

Ultimate was the first game I delved super deep into speculation prerelease. I watched speculation videos, caught up on the latest rumors, and eventually even joined a little site called Smashboards to really be part of the conversation. Honestly surreal it's been going for a good 3 years now. Let it be known it's been a fun (for the most part) ride and it's been an honor experiencing it with y'all.

Here's to next game

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
When Smash 64 came out I wasn't even a fetus yet

When Melee came out I was literally a baby

When Brawl came out I was at like 1st grade, occasionally playing fanmade Sonic and Mario games on Newgrounds while being blissfully unaware of what the **** a "Nintendo" is

When Sm4sh came out I was a dumb kid who was just starting to get into Nintendo beyond Flash Games

When Ultimate came out I was an edgy teenager with too much snark for his own good and was the first time I was truly involved with speculation, if only briefly

And now that it's all over I'm a depressed 20 year old with a terrible job. Hopefully by Smash 6 I'll be able to turn my life around
I also wanna add that I discovered Super Smash Flash and SSF2 way before I knew about the official Smash games, and have been making roster mockups ever since. Only recently though did I start asking myself what I actually think constitutes as a good character choice for Smash, though I had my wants for years (including two that got in :ultridley::ultkrool:)

Also, Greninja was the most hype inclusion for me ever since I was just getting into Pokémon and Froakie was my first, and their inclusion made me way more hyped for the game than I was initially. Just in case y'all think "shill picks" can't attract new audience.

Edit: I also lurked on Smashboards here and there, so I recognized Mega Man and Little Mac as characters people wanted. Well, I recognized Mega Man from SSF2 as well, but you know.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
  1. Cellphone game characters. I dont think there is anything wrong with them but I dont want cellphone games to get that big of a promotion. Its mostly my dislike on how those kind of games work. I just dont like this predatory kind of games and smash sometimes makes people go play the games. I wouldnt want a boost for these kind of games.
I'm a bit confused by this. Many mobile games are not gatcha games- they are simply one time pay, or DLC pay. Do you mean simply the gatcha, or any kind of mobile games?
  • Octoling/Dixie Kong - Both of these characters just scream Echo fighters to me. They just look way too similar to Inkling and Diddy Kong be part of a separate challenger pack. It'd be like if Isabelle was part of a challenger pack and everyone paid 5.99 just to find out that she played similarly to Villager. People would be like "Why wasn't she part of the base game?". Challenger packs should be saved for totally unique characters that you can't get from the base game.
Isabelle doesn't fight like VIllager. Do you just mean characters who have similar looking moves- the old 'semi clone' conversation, like Lucas and Ness, all team Starfox, etc?
That I have no real problem with thanks to gameplay/story segregation. Otherwise Smash is already implying that Isabelle is a match for Sephiroth.
(I wrote a whole thing here, and it seems to have been deleted, so, quickly).
I disagree with this fully. In their home games, Sephiroth and Isabelle are very different.
The Smash continuity itself would be broken if a character who is all powerful then becomes playable, at anything other than an unbalanced advanced tier. it is how I feel with boss characters being playable in general, especially in fighting games. The whole point of them is to have a significantly unfair advantage in their favor. It just wouldn't feel like the character anymore. Sakurai goes out of his way to, at least in his eyes, make the characters feel like who they are- not just randomly sticking on flash animations that happen to have some visual context.

Konami and SNK have most of their big names in the game already so that cuts it down to Capcom and Sega
RIBBIT RIBBIT

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom