• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I still think we’re getting a new company in smash that has no connections to smash whatsoever

pass 1 had 2 new company’s. Those being snk and Microsoft and so far in this pass whilst Namco are already on the trademark, they’re still technically a new company to the pass. 1 more evens things up and I’m going into the last fighter thinking it’s gonna be a new company.

don’t have a clue if I’m honest what Japanese company though. The 2 next big companies talked about in Japan are koei tecmo and level 5 from what I know when it comes to gaming company’s or they’re at least the most known so it could be either of them or it could be someone completely under the raidar.
Isn't it a bit arbitrary to notice patterns, and then qualify Namco as something new just because it wasn't in pass one? It's really bending the logic a lot to make it work.
I dont really know much about the series. Its always interesting to learn more about all sorts of characters. What about her gameplay? How would she translate to smash? I am a bit curious.
Magical Girl Trope

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I not so good at math but on January 21, 1999 I was playing Tekken 3 for hours a day taking one last class before graduation from university so I was 23.

When I was 7 researchers would adopt tcpip and the rest is funny to watch but my first computer experience was Logo in kindergarten.............. I'm fn old but there is one around SB that is older.... A few even.

8sr8ddexhf431.jpg

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
We've had 12 characters so far, and only 6 have been from a JRPG. So actually half. Unless you're counting double Byleth, but then you gotta count Steve & Alex separately too. Since we've had 12 separate numbers(Piranha Plant through Kazuya), well. Either way, it evens out to half at this time.

Anyway, yeah, I'd be good with more variety too(despite my most wanted being from a JRPG). I'd love an FPS rep(Doomguy, Master Chief, for instance).
ONLY half. I disagree with this phrasing. I'd say, "half of the f***ing DLC has been...."
Personally, I would absolutely love to see a series of maybe OVAs of sorts, each one focusing on lesser-known Nintendo series. For instance, something stylised like Akira but based on Mach Rider, a racing OVA based on Excitebike (and maybe with reference to Stunt Race FX,) a Joy Mech Fight-based tournament arc, the possibilities are endless. I know it's not just one series, but I love the idea of some lesser known IPs being experimented with!
What is an OVA?

Lyncario

Smash Ace
There will be a Direct this week but there will be no fighter reveal. We will get a date for a "Final Ultimate Presentation" which is where they'll reveal the character

The presentation will be in...

November
Direct the same week as Cirno's day
Final fighter revealed in November, the month of Touhou's anniversary
I was just making jokes about a direct on Cirno's day, stop fueling my conspiracy theory, Nintendo.
ONLY half. I disagree with this phrasing. I'd say, "half of the f***ing DLC has been...."

What is an OVA?
An OVA is basically a special anime episode or set of episodes. It stands for original animated video, so non-canon stuff. Talking about stands, the one big exception is an old OAV for Jojo part 3 before the 2000s that was the first animated Jojo media, and the french dub for said OAV gave a magnificent voice to Polnareff.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Closest thing to a character that doesn't interest me is Frisk(due to liking the "pacifist route"), and honestly, I see potential anyway. Where'd that spirit event, at least...

I'm not too picky in general. I'm sure whoever it is will be fun and interesting~

Ohhhhh, right, Classic Sonic. The current Sonic, while inspired with a decent amount of Modern, also has quite a bit of Classic sprinkled in. He's basically both. Though the more annoying thing is trying to say Classic Sonic would be an Echo, despite them having an actual different bodyshape. :facepalm:
The original echoes included Pichu and Young Link- they are different body shapes.
DK: Cartoon
Zelda: Anime
Metroid: Live-action movie
Mario: Opera
I guess this makes sense, considering we have already gotten:
DK: Opera
Mario: Live Action

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Above everything, I just want a character who I'd have a connection with. Them having a realistic design or being a swordfighter matters very little to me as long if they came from a game or franchise that I'm familiar with and/or like to play.

That applies to pretty much every reveal for me. There's no greater feeling than understanding all the references and nods added alongside a character, like what inspired their attacks or what their stage is based off of. Makes it a lot easier to appreciate the character that way.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
When Smash 64 came out, I was a little kid with little to no gaming knowledge. The little I did know was from watching my friend play Super Mario 64 and Star Fox 64 and of course seeing Pokemon everywhere. Another friend had Smash at their house and it was real fun seeing Mario, Fox and Pikachu all in the same game. I wanted to know where "Browser", Falco, Peppy and Slippy were.

My first exposure to Melee was actually and in store kiosk. I was with my friend who owned Smash and there was a Melee demo available to play. And I saw "Browser!" I picked him right away. Years later, I got my first console, the Gamecube and soon bought Melee for myself. This was where my love of the series started and Melee became one of the default games to play with friends.

I was old enough to follow video games when Brawl was announced, but young enough to fear that Mario, Link, Kirby, Pikachu, Samus, Meta Knight, Pit, Zero Suit Samus, Wario and Snake were going to be the only characters. It wasn't til Fox was revealed that I finally understand that this was a true sequel. The excitement for Brawl made me really dig into Melee once more and I explored every nook and cranny. I really started to read trophies and learn about all the different IPs. I would listen to the tracks in Sound Test and realize that video game music can be incredible (and sparked my love for it). When Brawl finally released I had experienced a variety of Nintendo IPs and found some all time favorites like Metroid, The Legend of Zelda and Kirby.

When Smash 4 was announced, I had just graduated high school. This was also the time where I finally got the nerve to try making an account for websites I frequented. I was significantly more cringey back then but my love and knowledge of Nintendo IPs had only strengthened and expanded. I went out of my way to play smaller franchises like Punch Out!!, Fire Emblem, Golden Sun and Xenoblade around that time. I also started expanding to more third party games as well, and even got a non Nintendo console (gasp) around that time. When Smash 4 released, I was in college but I had really started to become my own.

When Ultimate was announced I was doing student teaching and even snuck a tab of the livestream to watch it when I wasn't supposed to (oops). Everyone is Here and Ridley being revealed made it my dream game. And as Ultimate released I became a teacher. After a rough first year, I'm really starting to like my career. Things are just going well. Smash wise, and me wise. :4pacman:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
places all characters into an arbitrary binary that ignores almost anything that makes them distinct

"Why we can't have more variety?"
Woah the guy who loves stirring the point has a laughably bad argument? Colour me surprised
Direct announcement tomorrow BET
This isn't going to happen, silly Jondolio, BET isn't a timezone!
I was just making jokes about a direct on Cirno's day, stop fueling my consmiracy theory, Nintendo.
Cirno gets confirmed, non Touhou fans ask who the hell this idiot is, Touhou fans celebrate their favourite idiot in the meantime

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I sometimes like to think that Nintendo and sakurai were sat in a room when deciding on the pass and they just randomly said out loud “the punishment for leaking Ken is………. BYLETH!!!” And that’s how we ended up getting byleth.

it’s a random thought that I thought would be funny to share with people lol
Me, sitting here thinking that... Fire Emblem characters are the punishment to Smash everytime we act out.
Hence why we have eight of them.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Cirno gets confirmed, non Touhou fans ask who the hell this idiot is, Touhou fans celebrate their favourite idiot in the meantime
Tohou content in Smash will never be worth it unless we get Cirno's theme in Smash.

Then its 999999999999999x worth it.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
If being presented with frequent discourse about the character lessens your reception to them in any way, I feel my post applies. If the difference between being excited and being unmoved is the existing conversation, I feel my post applies. It doesn't just have to be to their continued existence.

I don't agree with that last analogy. If Sakurai came and told me who was going to be added, yes that would take a bit of wind out of my sails for the reveal, because then I would empirically know. That's why I kinda resent leaks that happen immediately before the show. But people here, to my knowledge, aren't Sakurai. They can talk and talk and talk, and that doesn't actually bring their outcome any closer to reality than had they said nothing. Myself very much included. It's not an answer, it's a proposition, and that doesn't reveal content. It's certainly not a spoiler of what's to come, like someone divulging the entire synopsis of a movie.

Hearing people entertain a character doesn't ruin the reveal for me, because talking about and actually getting said character is a totally different experience.

I'll counter with a different analogy. If someone goes on and on about how much they want to eat a dish at a restaurant, about how they really want to order this thing, does that make the food taste worse when it arrives? If it does, maybe don't go dining with that person.
Ironically, the user you are quoting posted Steve as an example of a surprise that wasn't ruined.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I maintain no hype cycle will be topped by the era of the DOJO being active daily, running the chance of getting a newcomer dropped on you out of nowhere.

And if not that, even just getting a veteran or stage was pretty sweet too. My glasses couldn't be tinted more rosy.
DOJO truly helped me immensely in my life. My father had just died, and it game me something every day to look forward to.
The day of his funeral, my sisters only video game love- Yoshi- made it in.
On my birthday, my beloved Dedede made it in.
In between, a dream came true, and Squirtle made it in- not just Squirtle, the essence of the Pokemon games themselves.

Smash means so much more to me than just silly speculation, it has truly been a work of pop art that hashelped me cope with some of the hardest challenges of my life.

"Everyone is here" was definitely better. That or Pac Man's announcement in SSB4.
Were you a part of the DOJO? It was absolutely special. Like a game of soccer- a point could be scored at any moment.
As for Pac Man--- that was, unquestionably, the worst reveal in the history of Smash. A reveal to a board room, with news stories relaying the information, sans a single image at all.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Not me. I barely paid attention before Mega Man, and didn't really start wishlisting until Ultimate was announced.

Though I've been jokingly pointing at this for ages:

This key doesn't make sense.
Some Mii costumes are blue, some are yellow.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
When Smash 64 became a thing, I was learning English.

When Melee was a thing, I was getting good grades and trying to catch them all.

When Brawl was announced, I was embodying Hot Topic and being depressed.

When Brawl was released, I was probably dying my hair, and doing some drugs.

When Smash 4 was announced, I was switching degrees like I was a thermostat, and attempting to keep a LDR afloat.

When Smash 4 was released, I was using hedonism to successfully combat my mental wellbeing.

When Ultimate was announced, I was living in New York with my boyfriend, working two jobs.

Now, I am happy if snarky dog-mom with my girlfriend, getting my master's done. :)

Somehow, of all things, Smash has been a constant. And yet, in (almost) all that time
I STILL HAVEN'T GOTTEN ISAAC
This is a good new game!

*Smash 64- Young kid, seeing these commercials; I was in awe waiting for this game, even writing fantasy stories about the game (mostly, me wanting it).

*Melee- I was a preteen, with no social skills; intense blizzards kept us inside for several weeks, and I became the hit of the neighborhood with having Smash, gaining lifelong friends and learning how to talk to people

*Brawl- My dad had died, and I was moving to NYC for school, finally understanding my life purpose; daily updates are what gave me a daily reprieve from my fears and pains

*Sm4sh- I was in physical rehab for some health issues, and used Smash speculation as an escape

*Ultimate- I was officially working in gaming as a part of my legit career; also, that thing that happened across the globe

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Ironically, the user you are quoting posted Steve as an example of a surprise that wasn't ruined.
I mean, Steve was leaked

5 minutes before he was revealed.

So while you're technically correct, barely anyone saw it, and ZhungEX also didn't outright say Steve, he teased him. It was PracticalBrush12 that outright name dropped Steve, but again, only a few minutes before his presentation.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It is heavily rumored that God of War will be shown at the playstation showcase this week, it's also likely they might announce Uncharted for PC.

Nintendo could do a direct this week, but to do it in the same week when everybody would be talking about God of War and Uncharted would be foolish, anything they do is obviously gonna be overshadowed by a title as anticipated as God of War, even a Smash reveal. So it would be a very bad idea to drop it this week, next week is far more likely.
Disagree.
Smash reveals are so big they make non-gaming news.
Smash is a part of the cultural zeitgeist.
God of War and Unchared are just a part of the Gamer zeitgest.
8 out of 11 have been humans while only 2 are cartoony.
Humanoid:
:ultjoker: :ulthero: :ult_terry: :ultbyleth: :ultminmin:ultpyra::ultmythra::ultkazuya:
Cartoony:
:ultbanjokazooie::ultsteve:

Wouldn't it hurt to have some more variety?
I'd argue steve isn't even cartoony, at least not anymore than say, Link.
His proportions are slightly exaggerated- which is true of many of the human characters.
Steve is just in an 8 bit format, like all characters were in 1990. That, to me, is not cartoony.
(But, Plant is absolutely cartoony... so 2/12)

Well, that's not what matters in selection. What matters is how they play. That's always been the constant.
I find this to not be very true. Things like Byleth playing differently 'because he has different weapons,' when that doesn't actually effect gameplay at all- they might as well all be a sword, since they are just bludgeoning items.
All characters are going to play differently no matter what- so what is even the point of using this as an argument?
places all characters into an arbitrary binary that ignores almost anything that makes them distinct

"Why we can't have more variety?"
Artstyle and silhouette isn't arbitrary. Sakurai has expressed many times how important a character's silhouette is, at least in the four prior games.
Notice two key things- 1- the old reveals used silhouette strictly to show off the characters; 2- The character colored outlines in 3DS- Sakurai's repetition about how characters must look unique, so that from a distance, even in chaos, they can be picked out from the rest

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Anyway

While I'd like a Direct this week, and have kinda been betting on one

With the GB/GBC on NSO, and the fact that NSO turns 3 years old next week... kiiiiinda banking on it next week ngl. I 100% hope I'm wrong, and I'd love to wake up to the announcement of a Direct in the morning, but I kinda feel like next week lines up too well.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I mean, Steve was leaked

5 minutes before he was revealed.

So while you're technically correct, barely anyone saw it, and ZhungEX also didn't outright say Steve, he teased him. It was PracticalBrush12 that outright name dropped Steve, but again, only a few minutes before his presentation.
He was also HEAVILY speculated leading up to the reveal. I mean, HEAVILY, and I recall constantly reading how users felt it was less of a shock because it was 'leaked' a while ahead of time (though, those werent the same level of legitimacy as the leak 5 minutes before).

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
This key doesn't make sense.
Some Mii costumes are blue, some are yellow.
Green means the character's franchise is represented by a Fighter. Blue means the character's franchise is represented by a Mii/AT/Spirit, etc.

Toad is technically mislabeled.

When Smash 64 came out I wasn't even a fetus yet
I was in college when Smash 64 came out.

I just didn't start speculating about characters until Smash 4.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Green means the character's franchise is represented by a Fighter. Blue means the character's franchise is represented by a Mii/AT/Spirit, etc.

Toad is technically mislabeled.
It was looking at Toad, Arthur, and the Black Mage that gave me confusion.

Shroob

Sup?
He was also HEAVILY speculated leading up to the reveal. I mean, HEAVILY, and I recall constantly reading how users felt it was less of a shock because it was 'leaked' a while ahead of time (though, those werent the same level of legitimacy as the leak 5 minutes before).
Right, but the surprise wasn't 'ruined'.

Ruined would imply something akin to say, the 5 minute leak happening several hours beforehand and spreading like wildfire.

Banjo was hinted at by a ResetERA mod several days before his reveal, but his surprise wasn't 'ruined'.

A character who is heavily speculated doesn't have their surprise ruined just because they're heavily speculated.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Right, but the surprise wasn't 'ruined'.

Ruined would imply something akin to say, the 5 minute leak happening several hours beforehand and spreading like wildfire.

Banjo was hinted at by a ResetERA mod several days before his reveal, but his surprise wasn't 'ruined'.

A character who is heavily speculated doesn't have their surprise ruined just because they're heavily speculated.
You're taking this out of context.
The topic at hand was that speculation would ruin Crash, for said user, because it was so widely discussed.
Their counterargument was that what constitutes a surprise is something unknown, like with Steve.
I said that was ironic, because between 'heavy speculation among users, based on very little,' and, 'semi leaked information heavily pointing towards Steve,' the latter is- perhaps even objectively- more of a ruined character (compared to users speculation blankly).

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I had a rather nasty thought.

Bayonetta as a character was hype but thanks to poor balancing, she ended up killing Smash 4's comp scene or at least left it radioactive. What if the final DLC character, with the team wanting things to be done with after three years of post release production, snaps the game in two.

Shroob

Sup?

Bayonetta as a character was hype but thanks to poor balancing, she ended up killing Smash 4's comp scene or at least left it radioactive. What if the final DLC character, with the team wanting things to be done with after three years of post release production, snaps the game in two.
I'd be very surprised if that happened, considering how 'balanced' Ultimate feels. With Smash 4, the latter end of the DLC felt very overtuned, Corrin's counter killed at like 30% iirc.

This DLC cycle? Pretty balanced all things considered.

Staarih

Smash Master

Not only do I think that another Bayonetta-situation will try to be avoided from the get-go already, but also Ultimate's development began, like, immediately after Smash 4 DLC so the priorities were understandably on the new game and not so much in updating Smash 4 anymore... though I think we did get some balance patches after Bayonetta's release. I feel this time around there isn't a feeling of urgency after the DLC is said and done so patches to adjust balance will likely continue a while onward.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
I'd be very surprised if that happened, considering how 'balanced' Ultimate feels. With Smash 4, the latter end of the DLC felt very overtuned, Corrin's counter killed at like 30% iirc.

This DLC cycle? Pretty balanced all things considered.
Honestly a lot of the new DLC from FP2 has been considered top tier, particularly :ultpyra:/:ultmythra: who is consideration for top 3 by a lot of people atm and :ultminmin is making a ruckus in Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom