• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I really wish we got more interactions like Palutenas Guidance, it’s such a fun way to let characters interact.

Using characters that don’t need voice acting would probably make the Budget less of an issue.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
Okay, but what does having similar color scheme have to do with actually getting in? If anything, it'll just make things more confusing when both characters are on screen
Well... both Pyra & Zero (Z) are spirits.

Also, got a look at your new avatar. You, too, are a man of culture.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Well... both Pyra & Zero (Z) are spirits.
Not what they meant. They meant that having two characters with the same color scheme could cause you to confuse the two with each other during a match. I wouldn't worry for Pyra and Zero (Mega Man Z), but it is kind of a thing for characters like Marth and Lucina.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
No. I hope for the next game, they just record a bunch of dialogues for potential characters so that they can add them in retroactively.
That would ruin speculation for sure. People would be BEGGING for their character to be "an intruder from another dimension".

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Custom specials were just a total disaster in every regard.

It's just a fundamentally flawed concept, I think. Obviously you can't make fully original moves for everyone because that's hundreds upon hundreds of extra moves you'd have to design, animate and balance, so all you're left with are just a bunch of half assed and janky variations for everyone outside of Palutena and the Miis. Like part of the fun of Smash is seeing all of these characters come together and do the stuff they do in their games, so who in their right mind wants to see stupid **** like Mario throwing fireballs that don't bounce or DK becoming an air/fire bender? Throw in the ludicrous unlock system and it's like, god damn. The whole thing was a tire fire, and I'm so glad it didn't come back in Ultimate.
You overestimate just how many specials are remotely faithful or even are in the original source game.

You also overestimate how many of those specials were... good.

No no no, the issue was getting those specials on everyone, which made them go through a stupid box breaking minigame. Practically everyone loved the option of getting new moves for characters we've played for many much years already.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Bayonetta was extremely popular outside of the Smashboards-style fanbase as well, especially as she was just coming off of a Game Of The Year contender in Bayo 2. She was a big time request, just not in the usual circles.

It was only until later due to the lack of balance patches that she became infamous. At the time it made perfect sense to people not as in-tune with Smash speculation that she would be the final character and she was extremely hype for many.
Yeah, I am surprised people were surprised, in my social circle, everyone was talking about Bayonetta

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Looking back at Smash 4, custom special moves were such a wasted effort and potential.

Look at Mario, he has 30+ years of games to pull from for custom moves and what does he get? Fireball, weak fire ball and slow fireball. And with few exceptions every character's recoveries were "higher but no damage" and "powerful but crap reach".

Even that could have been forgiven somewhat if they didn't have the genius idea of having custom moves be drop system only things and to have them double up on themselves.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
It "was", and then it began development a year later. And then we saw actual gameplay two years after development fully began.

That's completely different from "this game got announced and we're seeing it in action a year later".

A JPEG of a game's title isn't good enough to be considered, especially for a series as low profile as SMT.
SMTV didn't began development in 2018. I assume you're talking about how with the time more people joined the development, but that's how it goes in the industry. Games begin their development with a small group of core people (and what is a small number here varies on the company), then the number of devs gradually increase as they hire more workers or they finish other projects.

And your last point is just dumb, no offense. That's just an arbitrary reason to say "SMTV's reveal at the Switch presentation doesn't count", which I honestly don't get what difference it would make for anyone.
SMTV was officially announced there, and that's something not debatable at all.

Otherwise we should consider Fire Emblem Warriors' announcement at the same event non valid, because it showed even less than SMTV.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Bayonetta was extremely popular outside of the Smashboards-style fanbase as well, especially as she was just coming off of a Game Of The Year contender in Bayo 2. She was a big time request, just not in the usual circles.

It was only until later due to the lack of balance patches that she became infamous. At the time it made perfect sense to people not as in-tune with Smash speculation that she would be the final character and she was extremely hype for many.
I would say Bayonetta was very popular even on the boards. People were just going to be upset that their character wasn’t chosen no matter who it was.

The speculation on the evidence was also misconstrued. Bayonetta might not have “won” the entire ballot but it’s a safe bet that she placed highly in the early days of the ballot. Enough to warrant being chosen as a ballot choice even if it was just from the earliest results.

Bayonetta was a popular choice we do know that. It was even one of Kamiya’s big reasons for blocking people for like a few years prior.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
It is worth noting that the announcement for the 2/17/21 Direct (which itself fell on a Wednesday) occurred the day before around 9:00 AM EST, so fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Last edited:

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
Why is everyone so certain we are getting an announcement tomorrow? You do realize we are having a big playstation showcase this week, which might feature the first gameplay for God of War: Ragnarok and Uncharted for PC. Why would it make sense for Nintendo to drop a direct this week?

Literally anything they do is gonna be overshadowed by God of War, the game is that anticipated.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Me who’s very confident that it will be Mega Man Zero due to Pyra having a similar color scheme to him:

But for real though: look at Pyra’s color scheme:View attachment 329362

Now look at Zero (Z)’s:
View attachment 329364

It was REALLY easy for me to mistake Pyra for Zero when I first saw the color scheme.
Hey, that mixup can't happen with the AT, you just need to look for the one with boobs.
download.jpeg

Wait...

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
If they decide to bring customisation back into a new Smash game then I hope they make use of the elemental effects. Like you add an elemental effect on Mario like electricity and now all of his normal attacks have electrical properties. I think that would be pretty cool and you could have actual type matchups like what was shown a little bit in brawl with the Pokemon Trainer and the starter pokemon.

Then bring back squad strike and have a button to switch characters on the fly and then you'd switch into someone who has a type advantage against the character and elemental effect you were struggling with.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Why is everyone so certain we are getting an announcement tomorrow. You do realize we are having a big playstation showcase this week, which might feature the first gameplay for God of War: Ragnarok and Uncharted for PC. Why would it make sense for Nintendo to drop a direct this week?
I mean, even if we assume that Nintendo views other company's presentations as factors in the timing of their videos (which has not stopped the former from doing major reveals at E3 and the Game Awards), for all we know they might view the two as having separate audiences and/or thinking that it makes all the more sense to get ahead of Sony in terms of notable announcements. Given Sony's struggles in Japan, Nintendo might see a Direct as being strong enough to dominate discussion/news in that market, even if it might be fighting for attention in the West.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Why is everyone so certain we are getting an announcement tomorrow? You do realize we are having a big playstation showcase this week, which might feature the first gameplay for God of War: Ragnarok and Uncharted for PC. Why would it make sense for Nintendo to drop a direct this week?

Literally anything they do is gonna be overshadowed by God of War, the game is that anticipated.
If they were planning on doing it this week, then they wouldn't be able to push it back for a few reasons:
  1. It would be a bit of a scheduling nightmare.
  2. WarioWare: Get it Together would be on it, and they would miss the opportunity to promote it before it releases.
    • Similarly, any surprise titles that drop on the same day of the direct would cause the direct to have to be edited again to change the date, and that's if they can delay those games, which is more logistics to worry about.
    • Also, there's potentially something from Monolith Soft that's going up on their website soon, which would mean that Nintendo would have to delay that if they were going to delay the direct.
All in all it's just too short a notice for Nintendo to just change plans based on the State of Play.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
I mean, even if we assume that Nintendo views other company's presentations as factors in the timing of their videos (which has not stopped the former from doing major reveals at E3 and the Game Awards), for all we know they might view the two as having separate audiences and/or thinking that it makes all the more sense to get ahead of Sony in terms of notable announcements.
Or maybe... Kratos is gonna appear in the Nintendo Direct too ;)

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
SMTV didn't began development in 2018. I assume you're talking about how with the time more people joined the development, but that's how it goes in the industry. Games begin their development with a small group of core people (and what is a small number here varies on the company), then the number of devs gradually increase as they hire more workers or they finish other projects.

And your last point is just dumb, no offense. That's just an arbitrary reason to say "SMTV's reveal at the Switch presentation doesn't count", which I honestly don't get what difference it would make for anyone.
SMTV was officially announced there, and that's something not debatable at all.

Otherwise we should consider Fire Emblem Warriors' announcement at the same event non valid, because it showed even less than SMTV.
It began full scale development (i.e the part that matters) late 2017. Also, SMTV didn't get announced at that presentation, "a new Shin Megami Tensei title" got announced. They couldn't even say it was V at the time until a few months later.

As for Fire Emblem Warriors, it may have, but it also released that year, so I don't see your point. Presence at the presentation is merely a benchmark for "what could happen". And Not only could they not show anything from SMTV, they couldn't for three years after that.

My point is that "SMT was announced there", but not in any sort of meaningful way. It's the same as saying Bayonetta 3 or Metroid Prime 4 were revealed at their respective events; it's true, but what does it matter when they showed jack **** of it? And for a series like SMT, that's practically a death sentence.

There was much more interest for them to add Travis than SMTV Protagonist, since Travis not only had a game there, he was also being given ports in the pipeline, and NMH3 moved on very quickly. In the time it's taken for SMTV to be announced, shown off three years later, then released, we've gotten Travis Strikes Back, NMH1 and 2 ports, and NMH3 as well. If there was any interest in a shill character, it would have been him; he's the easiest to develop a plan around.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
It began full scale development (i.e the part that matters) late 2017. Also, SMTV didn't get announced at that presentation, "a new Shin Megami Tensei title" got announced. They couldn't even say it was V at the time until a few months later.

As for Fire Emblem Warriors, it may have, but it also released that year, so I don't see your point. Presence at the presentation is merely a benchmark for "what could happen". And Not only could they not show anything from SMTV, they couldn't for three years after that.

My point is that "SMT was announced there", but not in any sort of meaningful way. It's the same as saying Bayonetta 3 or Metroid Prime 4 were revealed at their respective events; it's true, but what does it matter when they showed jack **** of it? And for a series like SMT, that's practically a death sentence.

There was much more interest for them to add Travis than SMTV Protagonist, since Travis not only had a game there, he was also being given ports in the pipeline, and NMH3 moved on very quickly. In the time it's taken for SMTV to be announced, shown off three years later, then released, we've gotten Travis Strikes Back, NMH1 and 2 ports, and NMH3 as well. If there was any interest in a shill character, it would have been him; he's the easiest to develop a plan around.
For what it is worth, the youngest third party character we got before they were revealed was
:ulthero:, a 2017 character with the first pass being finalised in 2018.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
I'm a bit confused by this. Many mobile games are not gatcha games- they are simply one time pay, or DLC pay. Do you mean simply the gatcha, or any kind of mobile games?
I also dont like P2Win and dislike grind fest F2P.

Cirno gets confirmed, non Touhou fans ask who the hell this idiot is, Touhou fans celebrate their favourite idiot in the meantime
Cirno? You mean this girl? So, I had previous exposure to the series even if it is just this video....

I wish I could participate in the life retrospective between smash generation but my life would proably bore everyone out. So, I´ll spare the details.

Edit since new posts have been added:
It's gonna be tomorrow. I can feel it.
1630946262626.jpeg

Last edited:

toonito

Smash Ace
RE: Customs

I support a refined custom move system. Easier to obtain than Smash 4, the moves should be balanced for both free-for-all and 1 on 1. I like the idea of the same character having different builds. I get why they couldn't go super crazy with them (8 additional specials x +80 characters = 640 specials to balance on top of their regular moves).

If that isn't feasible then I wouldn't be opposed to additional echo fighters who use their original's custom specials.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Just saw an add for Fortnite and...Jonesy is a villain? What?
From what I can tell (I still play fortnite sparingly with a buddy) - Jonesy rebelled against the hunger games like overlords who run fortnite. At least, that’s how I interpreted it 🤷‍♂️

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Custom moves are a mixed bag. I think trimming it to 2 per Input and focusing on making them easier to obtain would go a long way to see them get more use.

Or, if thats too time consuming. Custom Final Smashes would be amazing. Lot of fun to be had there without worrying too much about balancing.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Could you imagine if Smash Ultimate newcomers had custom moves

Get ready for Windy Propellerpack for K. Rool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom