• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Honestly, I don't know why fan polls are considered consequential when the final character was decided long ago.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Also honorable mention to Monokuma, who's been my completely out of left field screwball choice since before we knew about Min Min lmao

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Ehhh, that's missing the point a little, fanpolls aren't trying to see who's the likeliest but rather try and see who people generally want
I get that, but some people seem to think they're "untrustworthy" because of things like typos and a lack of vote numbers, when in reality, why would it matter if it's trustworthy or not?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I get that, but some people seem to think they're "untrustworthy" because of things like typos and a lack of vote numbers, when in reality, why would it matter if it's trustworthy or not?
To get a good feel of who's popular as there's a lot of times where a character is popular in one place but not mentioned in another. A good example is Bayonetta, a charscter who saw next to no discussion here yet was commonly requested on NeoGAF and tumblr, not to mention polls are only as good as the statistics brought with them, if it's a sample size of 5 it's not worth looking at, sample size of 5k? Much more worthwhile

ryuryunonoroi

Smash Apprentice
Yes, I've heard of that technique, but I think the one we should be paying more attention to is one called "Occam's razor."
Occam's Razor doesn't cut through plausible deniability. And the fact is that Nintendo has been much more effective at stopping leaks over the course of FP2 than FP1. It really isn't a stretch to consider that they've completely overhauled their approach to dealing with potential leakers and that they might employ other similar techniques alongside those. They would have the finances to do so, the Switch being as successful as it is.

Also, I added these to the previous post but in case you missed them:
  • As N3ON has mentioned, leaks, whether real or fake, generally don't make a guessing game out of things but instead just deliver the information upfront. If Nintendo engineered this bait leak, however, this would be logical, as they would ultimately still want to keep the identities of the other fighters under wraps.
  • The leak mentions making Waluigi a playable fighter would be "Sakurai breaking his own rules", yet it asserts this as public knowledge, when in fact Sakurai has never publicly stated the existence of any such rule. But if Sakurai does in fact have such a rule, then it is further evidence of an internal asset at Nintendo fabricating a false leak.
  • While final character reveals have never been major, they have always been unusual and unexpected.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Does it even matter if Nintendo made a fake leak themselves or not? In the end of the day, a fake leak is still a fake leak. Who made it is irrelevant.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
A Vyse man, eh? You have good taste.
He looks really cool, don't get me wrong, but I've never played Skies of Arcadia (you're lucky you got the chance to!). I'm amazed you haven't noticed me gushing about the character I'm talking about every so often.
Aight, I finished going through the ****show that was the last few pages. There's a comparison I want to make but I don't want to get political so I won't make it.
Anyway, since we apparently have nothing better to talk about anymore... List your most wanted characters, I guess? I know it's a cliche subject, but it's better than discussing 4chan leaks.
I'll post this as many times as I deem necessary. Feel free to pass it over if you'd like, though, it's just mindless adoration for the most part.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
At the end of the day, while I find it silly to entertain the idea that Nintendo themselves made the Rapper Mario leak of all things, whether they did or not means nothing. It gives us literally no info one way or another.

On one hand, it's an unbelievable 4chan leak.

On the other, if you subscribe to the idea it's some elaborate setup by Nintendo themselves, then the info in it can't even be trusted.

So either way, it's trash.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
At the end of the day, while I find it silly to entertain the idea that Nintendo themselves made the Rapper Mario leak of all things, whether they did or not means nothing. It gives us literally no info one way or another.

On one hand, it's an unbelievable 4chan leak.

On the other, if you subscribe to the idea it's some elaborate setup by Nintendo themselves, then the info in it can't even be trusted.

So either way, it's trash.
Yes but one makes you feel like a genius regardless of how silly it sounds so I'll go for that

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I find it funny that most "leaks" in Smash speculation have such funny names... Grinch, Cacomallow, Rapper Mario, Sassy Geno... lol
Anyway, while I find it possible for Nintendo to spread a fake leak for strategic reasons (didn't they made up the Star Fox Grand Prix thing?), I still think it's unlikely, regardless. I think Rapper Mario is just your average 4chan text "leak", no more no less.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I find it funny that most "leaks" in Smash speculation have such funny names... Grinch, Cacomallow, Rapper Mario, Sassy Geno... lol
Anyway, while I find it possible for Nintendo to spread a fake leak for strategic reasons (didn't they made up the Star Fox Grand Prix thing?), I still think it's unlikely, regardless. I think Rapper Mario is just your average 4chan text "leak", no more no less.
Kinda.

Star Fox Grand Prix was leak "bait". It was effectively bad info to help weed out anyone who could be leaking things internally, so say, if only 3 people know that "Star Fox Grand Prix" is a thing, you can narrow it down drastically who was the one to leak first.

This is just a straight up leak, but a fake one all the same.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Hot as **** take.

We don't know when the "Mr.Sakurai presents: Kazuya!" was filmed, but something tells me that if it had been filmed pre E3, then we wouldn't have had to get that little blurb with Sakurai going "We haven't filmed it yet!"

Isn't that literally enough to bury Rapper Mario? Since it quite clearly alluded to the CP11 presentation being done and filmed already in January iirc?
I interpreted it as they filmed the little E3 message and the presents one after the other. It doesn't make sense to put together the set, film a 2 minute message and then leave it for multiple months to film a 50 minute presentation.
Regarding Rapper Mario, why the he'll does anyone believe this? Their description of Pyra and Mythra could apply to literally any character and their description of Kazuya applied to quite a few characters too (and it's a bit of a stretch to apply it to Kazuya, which is honestly impressive how close they were to being wrong with such a horoscope-issue prediction)
I honestly think the leak was intended as a joke which no one was supposed to take seriously, it's pretty close to parody.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I have a genuine question
View attachment 328339
How do we feel about the timeline where this happens and Metroid gets the same treatment as Kirby, Star Fox, Kid Icarus and FE, going from seen as underrepped to overrepped after a single game adding quite a bit of content?
Reps don't mean **** to me so I genuinely don't care
I do think the Metroid cast as it is now feels complete but as long as the new characters are cool i have no problem with them. I thought the FE cast in Sm4sh was fine but Chrom and Byleth are some of my favorite newcomers for different reasons.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
My thing with the Chozo dude is that is he going to be an important, reoccuring villain going forward? Or is he just a one and done deal like Ghirahim, Zant, etc?

If it's the former then sure, I could see it happening at some point. If it's the latter...no lol.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
My thing with the Chozo dude is that is he going to be an important, reoccuring villain going forward? Or is he just a one and done deal like Ghirahim, Zant, etc?

If it's the former then sure, I could see it happening at some point. If it's the latter...no lol.
No way to know for now. Dread's literally the last game in the timeline currently.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Reps don't mean **** to me so I genuinely don't care
I do think the Metroid cast as it is now feels complete but as long as the new characters are cool i have no problem with them. I thought the FE cast in Sm4sh was fine but Chrom and Byleth are some of my favorite newcomers for different reasons.
Note that despite me saying this I don't see Chozo Dude happening.
Aside from some very specific cases, I personally think they don't pick promotional characters for games that already have a rep. Also Dread is literally too new.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
If it somehow happen, Seeing someone unironically say that Sakurai is bias toward Metroid due to Big bird getting in would be like a highlight of the year for me.
Especially since I remember this guy having a 12-inch hate-[EXPLETIVE] towards Sakurai in the Wii U/3DS days, always expressing it in comments of videos that had anything to do with Ridley and screaming his head off about how Sakurai hated the west because of it. Wonder what happened to him after E3 ‘18?

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Especially since I remember this guy having a 12-inch hate-[EXPLETIVE] towards Sakurai in the Wii U/3DS days, always expressing it in comments of videos that had anything to do with Ridley and screaming his head off about how Sakurai hated the west because of it. Wonder what happened to him after E3 ‘18?
Wasn't it the same guy who was absolutely LIVID that Mewtwo & K.Rool weren't on the base roster of Smash 4 by hazard?

I actually didn't meet or talk to him back then, but I did hear about him.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
So another Smash poll just concluded today.

View attachment 328334

It's pretty safe to say that these polls are prone to bandwagons, but Rayman, Crash, Waluigi and Sora always do well so I think those 4 might be some of the highest requested characters.
A world where Freddy Fazbear is more requested than Bandana Dee is not a world I want to be real.

Fortunately, I don't think it is. I hadn't heard this poll was happening, so it only represents a part of the fanbase.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Probably the same as someone I know who got violently upset whenever someone acknowledged Zelda as Zelda's the reason why Metroid isn't mainstream according to them. Last I heard, they recently played Zelda and fell in love with the series

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Probably the same as someone I know who got violently upset whenever someone acknowledged Zelda as Zelda's the reason why Metroid isn't mainstream according to them. Last I heard, they recently played Zelda and fell in love with the series
That's a....surprisely wholesome ending all things considered.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Got curious about the Fighter Pass 1 deadline since I thought it came up in regards to the last FP2 character. Maybe when people were discussing Nahobino?

"All packs will be released by Feb. 2020."
That's a month to spare, since Byleth came out in January 2020. Dunno if they'd cut it that close again, but they're in the clear if they want to :V

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
So you claim. But your stated desire for Dark Sakura and Rera spotlighting paints a different picture.
JUST LET PEOPLE LIKE WHAT THEY WANT AND DON’T SAY THEY HAVE A FETISH OVER IT, OK?! MY MOST WANTED IS A GUY FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
The only scenario where I could see any more characters after FP11 is if one final standalone DLC is released alongside FP11 as a "We had some extra time, so we put this together" surprise that fills the final announcement spot after the one (presumably) announcing FP11's release.

Beyond that? Sakurai has been way too persistent this is the end for Smash Ultimate for there to be anything else.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Well, support for Ultimate needs to end at some point so time can pass and new hardware can be developed so Smash 6 can enter the starting phases.
I'm relatively confident that the earliest discussions for the next Smash game have already begun. We're about 4.5 years into the Switch's life, modern consoles generally have a lifespan of 7 years, and a Smash game takes three years to develop. Nintendo knows Smash is a killer app and will definitely want a Smash game released in the system's life, so development will be starting soon, if not right now.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Serves me straight for playing MK instead of SF1. Learn something new I guess.
I mean, no. Playing MK over SF2 is a foul, for sure. But playing MK over SF1 is the correct choice. That game is no bueno.

JUST LET PEOPLE LIKE WHAT THEY WANT
Yeah...nah. When someone is like "The next SF game focus Sakura's non-existent evil version!" or "SamSho's Smash character should be a character that's not even in that franchises top 10", I'm not just gonna nod and go "Yeah, great idea, chief!"

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I'm relatively confident that the earliest discussions for the next Smash game have already begun. We're about 4.5 years into the Switch's life, modern consoles generally have a lifespan of 7 years, and a Smash game takes three years to develop. Nintendo knows Smash is a killer app and will definitely want a Smash game released in the system's life, so development will be starting soon, if not right now.
I think it'd be pretty anticlimactic for Sakurai to insist that Ultimate is going to be the grand end to a decades worth of development for Smash beginning with Smash 4...only for them to immediately start working on a new Smash game right after.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
Censor Dodge Removed
Sakurai when Nintendo asks him to develop a new Smash game:

I dunno, it's hard to predict what will happen after Ultimate especially as it's been built to be this "all inclusive and encompassing" Smash game. Smash as an IP will, of course, never be forgotten, it's a huge seller for Nintendo, but I think depending on hardware (like if they'll go on with revisions of the Switch or have something completely new on the line) and development (whether Sakurai is on board or not) things could look a bit different than before.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think it'd be pretty anticlimactic for Sakurai to insist that Ultimate is going to be the grand end to a decades worth of development for Smash beginning with Smash 4...only for them to immediately start working on a new Smash game right after.
If true though it’s probably just the early planning phases, programming will start much later

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Here's a thing I did for speculation on the last character:
  • Who I want: Sora, Eggman, BWD (I'm more torn on Crash)
  • Who I think it'll be: Anyone who hasn't been deconfirmed yet
  • Who would be possible: No idea
  • Who I feel is unlikely: Anyone who has been deconfirmed or otherwise may not make it
  • Who would be funny: Phoenix Wright
  • Who I don't want: Any Assist Trophy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom