• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
The way I see who the last company could be is this. Remember this is my personal opinion so don’t take this as facts. It’s just the way I feel like with who FP11 won’t be.

I don’t see it being bandi Namco because I don’t see them getting 2 reps back to back

I don’t see it being square Enix or Microsoft because I don’t see them getting 2 reps in 1 pass. I feel if there was a company that was allowed 2 in 1 pass it would be Namco due to working on the game but I don’t think they’ll get it

I don’t see capcom getting a rep because of the successive amount of news costumes along with all their returning costumes they got in this dlc pass

I don’t see it being a 1st party rep

I don’t see it being Konami because on top of their old costume they got, they also got a new deluxe mii costume that just gives me the impression they’re done

I don’t see any company that got a new set of costumes being the last spot

and I personally don’t see any western company taking the last spot due to how long it took Microsoft and Nintendo with how close Microsoft is.

my head is with it being either SNK, sega (not atlus. Just officially sega themselves) or just a new company that’s got very little representation in the whole off the game and has had no mii costumes in pass 2

I’m a bit doubtful though I’ll admit with snk. I feel like terry wasn’t just to represent Terry’s part of his franchise. It was more to represent the whole of snk so I’m on the doubt side of that but I think it’s a possibility
With all that in mind, I’m really liking Lu Bu’s chances. Koei-Tecmo has a great relationship with Nintendo and doesn’t have a character yet. Hyabusa doesn’t seem as likely based on interviews but I think Lu Bu has a real shot.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
If it was SEGA, who would it be and the music track and stage to come with it.

IDK if Sonic is getting another. Vectorman, Ristar, Altered Beast, AiAi (Monkey Ball), or even Nights to name some are another rep to consider, but most haven't received a comeback in a while (Well, exclude Monkey Ball as a lot knows its return soon).

Edit: adding Arle from Puyo Puyo since I forget
I dunno man, this selection of characters to supposedly consider feels like it's painting a very incomplete and misguided picture of what SEGA have to offer.

Some of the ones to look out for IMO are Puyo, Yakuza, Sakura Wars, SMT and Phantasy Star. It's hard to tell with Streets of Rage but I think it at least has enough merit to be included. Shenmue and a sort of representative for their arcade history I think might be potential darkhorses, and I'd have been fully behind the idea of Virtua Fighter being possible were it not for the fact that two of the most prominent characters in the franchise - including its main character - have already been Mii'd

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I don't know if someone has already brought it up but... didn't Sakurai say that the final character is gonna take some time to be revealed, but it's still gonna be this year? It might be pointless, but I translated this into it will come out later than usual but don't worry it will still come out.

It means that IMO it will probably be an end of october or even novemer reveal... unless they want to release it for holidays so even later.

Honestly, I just want to know who the character is and then forget about Smash for a few years, so I hope it happens as soon as possible, but I'm not much positive about it happening next week honestly.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Final DLC character is Yuri Lowell from Tales of Vesperia.

He will be a fun and unique character but casual smash fans will catalog him of “generic anime swordsman”

Hardcore smashboards fans will be pised because they didn’t choose Lloyd, though Sakurai at his presentation will explain why Yuri.

Nobody will complained from all music from different Tales games that will be included.

He has a purple hair so fits the color background theory.

How do you will react?
Yuri is one of my most wanted so no complaints

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman
So is Fire Emblem. The moment there's a relevant thing to pull a character from with these series, they will do it.
With Pokémon Nintendo will go out of their way to add something to the base roster even if a new Pokémon game doesn’t exist yet because the Pokémon fanbase is that important to Smash. With Fire Emblem they automatically add the main character of a new game wherever they can but so far have not gone out of their way to make a base roster addition(they added Chrom because they wanted him in for Smash 4 but that didn’t work out and an echo fighter was relatively easy to throw into Ultimate so they did that). Fire Emblem has had new characters be dlc, Pokémon hasn’t.

I don't disagree, especially since the last Fire Emblem game was leaps and bounds better than the last Pokémon game, though that's the equivalent of comparing high quality chocolate with actual ****.
If they added another Fire Emblem character to Ultimate(they won’t)it wouldn’t be from Three Houses.
We don't know if spirit events mean anything for characters. It's all hypothetical.
Pokémon is the biggest franchise in the world, and this year is its 25th anniversary. And unlike some other series owned by Nintendo, they make sure to remind us of that fact constantly.
I'm just saying.
Yes, we do know what spirit events mean, they mean that Nintendo took the time to recognize a game in Smash. Adding a fighter in Smash after they already took the time to recognize the game via spirits just means they wasted their time making those spirits.

Pass 2 characters were decided in early 2019 at the latest(and likely before that in 2018), which means there would be no reason whatsoever to make a spirit event for Sword and Shield because the character was already decided by then. ARMS and Xenoblade 2 are the only exception to the spirit “rule” because those spirits/assist trophies/mii costumes were created BEFORE pass 2 was decided.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

He will be a fun and unique character but casual smash fans will catalog him of “generic anime swordsman”

Hardcore smashboards fans will be pised because they didn’t choose Lloyd, though Sakurai at his presentation will explain why Yuri.

Nobody will complained from all music from different Tales games that will be included.

How do you will react?
I mean... I'll take Yuri but it could have been Lloyd.

We were this close to greatness. This close. :drshrug:

GreninjaMarth

Smash Rookie
where my mind’s at:
• Capcom is the only company that hasn’t received an entirely non-echo character / new series in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate which is bit bizarre for numerous reasons, so I can see it being either a Resident Evil character (Jill Valentine) or Phoenix Wright.

• I can also see another Sega character, since two companies in the first pass have already received another character in the second (Square & Microsoft). And to fit with the villain theme, Eggman makes perfect sense.

• Ryu Hayabusa has been long rumored and goes alongside the theory that Pass 2 characters have been second chances/ past negotiations.

• We know nothing. CP11 is someone that none of us have predicted.

SKX31

Smash Master

How do you will react?
Sure, not going to expect a second Bamco character in a row, but hey, he'd be cool.

There's a distinct lack of swordusers that have a lot of multi-hit attacks (the only ones I can think of are :ultmetaknight:, :ultpit: and :ultswordfighter: - TBF they have different uses for their multihits). Usually multi-hits are reserved for jabs, a special or two and maybe an aerial / smash attack (discounting Down Smashes for obvious reasons). Someone who's typically does a lot of them would be honestly rather refreshing.

Besides, I did get a very positive impression of him from his PXZ appearances, so hey, that's a major plus.

I don't know if someone has already brought it up but... didn't Sakurai say that the final character is gonna take some time to be revealed, but it's still gonna be this year? It might be pointless, but I translated this into it will come out later than usual but don't worry it will still come out.

It means that IMO it will probably be an end of october or even novemer reveal... unless they want to release it for holidays so even later.

Honestly, I just want to know who the character is and then forget about Smash for a few years, so I hope it happens as soon as possible, but I'm not much positive about it happening next week honestly.
"A while" is in this context intentionally vague, so it's a matter of waiting and seeing. I mean, "a while" could still be September for all we know since that would be 2 and 1/2 months (at least) removed from the Kazuya reveal / presentation.

It could be later on into October, November or hell even December, that I'm not disputing. But I'm leaning towards September since they've usually paired reveals into Directs (key word being usually - :ultsteve: 's a notable exception due to his reveal being tied to Minecon IIRC).

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
If Eggman is the last one, what stage, music and any ideas of the trailer will play out?

For me, I can see fighters fighting until a mechanized army is deployed. Sonic on the other hand notices WHO is the mastermind and gets hit from a familiar machine and laugher.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Every time someone reads too much into the "take a while" comment, the announcement gets delayed by another day
Well, we might as well let it be delayed to the absolute limit, December 31st, then. Then, we’d know exactly when the reveal will be, and we’d be able to more confidently just tune out until then, since the uncertainty would be removed.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
With Pokémon Nintendo will go out of their way to add something to the base roster even if a new Pokémon game doesn’t exist yet because the Pokémon fanbase is that important to Smash. With Fire Emblem they automatically add the main character of a new game wherever they can but so far have not gone out of their way to make a base roster addition(they added Chrom because they wanted him in for Smash 4 but that didn’t work out and an echo fighter was relatively easy to throw into Ultimate so they did that). Fire Emblem has had new characters be dlc, Pokémon hasn’t.

If they added another Fire Emblem character to Ultimate(they won’t)it wouldn’t be from Three Houses.

Yes, we do know what spirit events mean, they mean that Nintendo took the time to recognize a game in Smash. Adding a fighter in Smash after they already took the time to recognize the game via spirits just means they wasted their time making those spirits.

Pass 2 characters were decided in early 2019 at the latest(and likely before that in 2018), which means there would be no reason whatsoever to make a spirit event for Sword and Shield because the character was already decided by then. ARMS and Xenoblade 2 are the only exception to the spirit “rule” because those spirits/assist trophies/mii costumes were created BEFORE pass 2 was decided.
You're projecting an awful lot with your arguments. You have no actual hard evidence to prove any of your arguments, you're just looking at patterns that may or may not exist.
And I guess that's fine, but like I said before, I don't believe in any patterns unless I see any concrete proof, which is very rare. So I'm gonna hold on to that prediction until the curtain falls.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
The Spirit event for Sword and Shield was made to advertise the release of the game, which has been a while. It features far from every choice and is very obviously made from pre-release assets, so it’s not as much of a deconfirmation as a Spirit Event that properly represents its source material or was released later than the game itself. As for now, Sword and Shield can definitely be due for a different sort of promo since it’s been so long since the release date Spirit Event.

Do I think a Pokémon is likely? Maybe in a scenario where they kept open a slot for a more recent character but COVID struck and they had to stretch all the way back to the ol’ reliable promo Poké, otherwise I’m leaning towards it being in an awkward position. That said, ARMS and Xenoblade 2 weren’t exactly recent as well and simply represented the best of the Switch, so awkward timing isn’t as much of a death grip on Sword and Shield compared to the usual situation of recency DLC

Last edited:

FreeFox

Smash Lord
I am confused. Didnt someone say a few weeks ago that the translation wasnt completely on point about what Sakurai said? And that it didnt point to it being as late as the translation make it seem. Or am I remembering wrong?

SNEKeater

Smash Master
There are a lot of good choices but my first pick would be a Yakuza character. They can go either with Kiryu or Ichiban, both are great. For the stage, Millenium Tower feels like a no-brainer. For tracks, I'd rather have them pull from all main games which would give us something like this:

Receive You
Funk Goes On
Son of a Gun (Kiwami)
Outlaw's Lullaby (Kiwami 2)
Bad Fortune Flower
Rebellious Phase
Speed Star
Massive Fire
Crash Addiction
One-Eyed Assassin
The Battle for the Dream
Pledge of Demon
Ichibanka
Millennium Tower Dungeon
Bakamitai (remix)
This is a very neat selection. I miss a few tracks but I guess it's inevitable, considering Yakuza has a lot of cool music. I kinda bat an eye when I see people only talking about the karaoke music when it comes to Yakuza. Don't get me wrong, it's great and I love it, but I feel some people overlook the "regular" soundtrack of the games. So I'm glad to see a selection like this one

Props for including Ichibanka, such a good and emotional song, though I could see Sakurai and his team going for a remix of the song.

I'd personally add Fly which IMO is a classic of the series, and a few others such as For Faith which I think is perfect for a cool remix, or Theory of Beauty.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I am confused. Didnt someone say a few weeks ago that the translation wasnt completely on point about what Sakurai said? And that it didnt point to it being as late as the translation make it seem. Or am I remembering wrong?
That would make complete sense as that happens a lot with interviews. And for the sake of this community, I sincerely hope this is the case.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
If it was SEGA, who would it be and the music track and stage to come with it.

IDK if Sonic is getting another. Vectorman, Ristar, Altered Beast, AiAi (Monkey Ball), or even Nights to name some are another rep to consider, but most haven't received a comeback in a while (Well, exclude Monkey Ball as a lot knows its return soon).

Edit: adding Arle from Puyo Puyo since I forget
When you haven't gotten a game for literal decades but get in anyways
unknown-1.png

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I mean... I'll take Yuri but it could have been Lloyd.

We were this close to greatness. This close. :drshrug:
In a perfect world, Lloyd and....

and.....

uh.....
phoenix-thinking(a).gif

...Eh, I can't remember their name on top of my head, but i'm sure it was a fan-favourite or somethin'.

Either way, shame we don't live in that world.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I must‘ve missed it, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the case.
yeah a few weeks ago someone on here said they were currently leaning Japanese and we’re quite fluent in it and they said sakurai didn’t actually say it’ll take a while. Apparently sakurai said “we’ll see you when we next announce the character” or something along those lines if I remember rightly.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
yeah a few weeks ago someone on here said they were currently leaning Japanese and we’re quite fluent in it and they said sakurai didn’t actually say it’ll take a while. Apparently sakurai said “we’ll see you when we next announce the character” or something along those lines if I remember rightly.
Yep, I remember the same. Also, someone showed a video of many mistranslations done in the past as evidence to support the claim.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I know Sonic has it better compared to base game FF, but people are seriously overestimating how well-represented the series is. Eggman being a DLC character can fill in some of the holes the series has in Smash:
  • Some songs and Spirits that should feel like no-brainer inclusions aren't in Ultimate
    • In the former case, Right There, Ride On was cut from Ultimate
  • The two stages we have are just two versions of Green Hill Zone
So, assuming Eggman was the last character, here's the Challenger Pack idea I had for him:

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I know Sonic has it better compared to base game FF, but people are seriously underestimating how well-represented the series is. Eggman being a DLC character can fill in some of the holes the series has in Smash:
  • Some songs and Spirits that should feel like no-brainer inclusions aren't in Ultimate
So, assuming Eggman was the last character, here's the Challenger Pack idea I had for him:
You mean they're overestimating, right? Underestimate would mean it has a lot more than expected

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I know Sonic has it better compared to base game FF, but people are seriously underestimating how well-represented the series is. Eggman being a DLC character can fill in some of the holes the series has in Smash:
I find your choice of making Zavok a spirit by himself and not the Deadly Six as a whole interesting.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I find your choice of making Zavok a spirit by himself and not the Deadly Six as a whole interesting.
Ok but everyone loves Zavok which is why Sega keeps putting him in because if he's literally Bowser, surely he'd be just as popular as Bowser, right? Zavok's soooooo cool, he should be the Sonic Rangers protag

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Ok but everyone loves Zavok which is why Sega keeps putting him in because if he's literally Bowser, surely he'd be just as popular as Bowser, right? Zavok's soooooo cool, he should be the Sonic Rangers protag
This is probably the strangest form of satire I've read in quite some time

Last edited:

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman
sega (not atlus. Just officially sega themselves)
Where are you getting this? Even if I didn’t care about SMT getting into Smash the chances of Atlus getting another fighter are the same or even greater than an original Sega franchise simply because of pass 2 mirroring pass 1 and Joker being listed as an Atlus character and not a Sega one. A big reason why people think the final fighter is a Sega character is because Atlus is included. It’s not like Eggman has this overwhelming evidence for his inclusion or Phantasy Star is a dream addition to Smash for Sakurai.
You're projecting an awful lot with your arguments. You have no actual hard evidence to prove any of your arguments, you're just looking at patterns that may or may not exist.
And I guess that's fine, but like I said before, I don't believe in any patterns unless I see any concrete proof, which is very rare. So I'm gonna hold on to that prediction until the curtain falls.
I am not projecting anything. They would not go through the trouble of making Sword and Shield spirits KNOWING that the final fighter of pass 2 is a Gen 8 Pokémon and that this means they will have to make even more Sword and Shield spirits for it in the future.
The Spirit event for Sword and Shield was made to advertise the release of the game, which has been a while. It features far from every choice and is very obviously made from pre-release assets, so it’s not as much of a deconfirmation as a Spirit Event that properly represents its source material or was released later than the game itself. As for now, Sword and Shield can definitely be due for a different sort of promo since it’s been so long since the release date Spirit Event.

Do I think a Pokémon is likely? Maybe in a scenario where they kept open a slot for a more recent character but COVID struck and they had to stretch all the way back to the ol’ reliable promo Poké, otherwise I’m leaning towards it being in an awkward position. That said, ARMS and Xenoblade 2 weren’t exactly recent as well and simply represented the best of the Switch, so awkward timing isn’t as much of a death grip on Sword and Shield compared to the usual situation of recency DLC
If they were going put in a Sword and Shield Pokémon they wouldn’t wait until 2 years after the game came out, they would have put it in Min Min or Steve’s slot. When I was doing my initial predictions for pass 2(which had Nahobino as the final slot btw)I had a Gen 8 Pokémon in Steve’s slot, but just like my Travis Touchdown prediction and my Crash prediction I just had to drop it because I didn’t know what Nintendo was doing with newer Smash games at the time.

We don’t have a Gen 3 or a Gen 5 Pokémon fighter in Smash and Gen 8 is going to join that list(Gen 9 and probably 10 will be out before the next Smash is). People need to just accept that fact.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Where are you getting this? Even if I didn’t care about SMT getting into Smash the chances of Atlus getting another fighter are the same or even greater than an original Sega franchise simply because of pass 2 mirroring pass 1 and Joker being listed as an Atlus character and not a Sega one. A big reason why people think the final fighter is a Sega character is because Atlus is included. It’s not like Eggman has this overwhelming evidence for his inclusion or Phantasy Star is a dream addition to Smash for Sakurai.
I didnt know Bandai Namco had a character in FP1. Who was it again?

I am not projecting anything. They would not go through the trouble of making Sword and Shield spirits KNOWING that the final fighter of pass 2 is a Gen 8 Pokémon and that this means they will have to make even more Sword and Shield spirits for it in the future.
You are right. That is why Rex was added as a Mii costume..... wait a minute. Wasnt he also supposed to be a fighter this pass before being scrapped last minute due to hardware limitations?

Theguy123

Smash Lord
it’s just my opinion. I don’t see sakurai putting the same amount of atlus reps in as sega have. I don’t think there’s any subsidiaries that companies in smash already owns that have more reps than the official company themselves. Correct me if I’m wrong.

not to mention sephiroth’s trailer already proves Nintendo and sakurai have held talks with sega specifically for fp2 and not atlus so if we are to get a sega rep it’ll probably come from sega and not atlus

on top of this as well just wanna say the reason why people think sega is likely is because there’s no sega content, not atlus content. Also I don’t remember tekken being in pass 1 but feel free to correct me in this

it’s just my opinion though. Why you getting heated

Jondolio

Smash Hero
While we're on the topic of Microsoft original characters, I don't even play Halo but it'd be so insane if Master Chief was the last fighter
I don't think it's gonna happen, but it'd be huge if it did

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom