• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
A reminder that the people making the games and the people making unethical management/production decisions are different people who largely act independently from each other, at least in these policy areas.

You can enjoy the art and the artist while acknowledging that the company they work for is currently doing some bad ****.

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
I don't speak for everyone, but I'm burnt out of this imaginary war between the newcomer thread and the Geno thread.

I get there's been bad blood in the past..... and frankly, still the present, but I just cannot see this discussion going anywhere positive tbh.
That's kinda why I didn't bother with discussion on Smashboards after a while (and why I wasn't even here to talk about how hyped I was about Pyra/Mythra). This kinda of thing is why I grew tired with Ultimate speculation: the ficticial wars created over fanbases that only create a bad place to speculate for everyone, even people from the outside. Sadly this is something that a minority causes, but it gets weary after the 3947th time, ya know?

As for my "process of elimination", I just analyzed the content that happened in Fighters Pass 2 with multiple different lenses (IP status, current patterns of releases, interviews, is there something correlating to them, etc.), took note of all the characters that could affect said events and when I finished all of it, I revised and put it all together. That's how I ended up where I am.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Yesterday I said that if the final character isn't a Pokémon, I'll do a cover of the DK rap.
So you know what? if it's Geno, I'll add a song from the DKC cartoon to that.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
you know though, I could at least see Mii Costumes not ruling out a series, just a character

Rex costume = we got Pythra later
Spring Man and Ribbon Girl Miis and an AT of the former = we got Min Min later
Heihachi costume = we got Kazuya later

and just sayin but we got Squid Sisters Miis earlier this pass… what if Off the Hook Octoling

do agree Geno is 100% done tho

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
About people in the Geno thread, they were so overconfident about Geno getting in that not only were they heavily let down by Sephiroth and the Mii costume, but I’d say that negatively affected their view on Smash Bros. Ultimate, wouldn’t you all say?

Jondolio

Smash Hero
About people in the Geno thread, they were so overconfident about Geno getting in that not only were they heavily let down by Sephiroth and the Mii costume, but I’d say that negatively affected their view on Smash Bros. Ultimate, wouldn’t you all say?
Being overconfident is the ultimate way to set yourself up for disappointment.
The most important thing to remember when speculating about whoch newcomers get in is that nothing in life is ever a guarantee.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Being overconfident is the ultimate way to set yourself up for disappointment.
The most important thing to remember when speculating about whoch newcomers get in is that nothing in life is ever a guarantee.
Of course! I tried telling them something like that before Sephiroth came, but they were defensive about it.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I don't know who the character is, I'm just predicting like everyone else lol
I should probably just say my prediction is Geno, just so people can say "Mii Costumes deconfirm" and stuff continues as usual.
Interesting prediction.
I guess I was wrong about who you were predicting lol

I was thinking you were gonna predict Isaac or Waluigi tbh. I went back to Martin's colors and to me at least, there were colors that fit those two better than Geno but again, that's just me : )

Also happy Thursday!

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think it’s fine to think whatever you want but it’s important to remember to be respectful to everyone else. Everyone has their own opinions and tastes. That’s one reason I’m able to accept any character even if I don’t personally like them. Steve was literally my least wanted character but I was still happy for everyone that wanted him. I think that’s a much healthier mindset than getting bitter just because we get a character that doesn’t cater to our personal tastes.

It is also a good idea to try to avoid stating your beliefs and opinions as facts. Being overly confident about any character either happening or not happening can only turn around to bite you in the end. People should try to keep an open mind in general.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I would definitely say that, yes, they were a bit overconfident, but it went a little too much.

Perhaps they should take it as a cautionary tale...

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I dunno man, it sounds like a thing Nintendo would do. And Sakurai specifically said it'll be a while before the next character reveal.
I mean, a TGA reveal isn't impossible but like I've said countless times

The only way a TGA reveal could happen in my eyes is a unique predicament in which the character is both a big name 3rd party and a character with a very complicated moveset.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Anyways, I think I spoke enough about me, so quiz time for fun:
So far, we had many DLC spirit events, but which one would you choose to get a playable character?
I’d probably say RE. It’d kill Phoenix but it’d be really cool to see who Sakurai chose and why.

Plus finally getting a horror and I guess shooter a rep is great.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I mean, a TGA reveal isn't impossible but like I've said countless times

The only way a TGA reveal could happen in my eyes is a unique predicament in which the character is both a big name 3rd party and a character with a very complicated moveset.
There’s also the possibility of the character coming with some big update like an expanded Mii maker or Stage Builder. I know Sakurai said that there would be no new modes but I could see them adding to existing ones. We could also get some of the missing Smash stages that didn’t return to truly make this game live up to its name.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
So today I learned that Ash is a boy.

Anyway, one thing that I was reminded of is that King of Fighters is a 3v3 fighting game, but without the tag system of Marvel Vs. Capcom, Dragon Ball Fighterz, and the like. So that gives me an idea: If we ever get 3 or more SNK characters, what if they just had the innate ability to be grouped together and swap out Squad Strike style? To give such a mechanic more depth, they could also add a meter system that allows them to use supers, but takes a while to charge depending on the character, so you'd have the original game's dynamic of leading with a character that was good at building meter and then following it with a character that's really dangerous when spending it, but maybe doesn't build it as easily.

EDIT: This could be a trio character idea, but could also just be a quick and fun edition to existing characters. In the latter case, they wouldn't be forced to be swappable characters, and the mechanic would be toggleable.
The easiest way I can see this happening is if Team K’ join Smash as a trio fighter. K’, Kula, and Maxima are arguably the most popular protagonists in the series, probably even more than Kyo, Iori, and Chizuru.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
So far, we had many DLC spirit events, but which one would you choose to get a playable character?
I honestly don’t remember all of the spirit events but of the ones I do remember, I think I would go with either Jena Anderson (Astral Chain) or Gengar (Pokémon).

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I think it’s fine to think whatever you want but it’s important to remember to be respectful to everyone else. Everyone has their own opinions and tastes. That’s one reason I’m able to accept any character even if I don’t personally like them. Steve was literally my least wanted character but I was still happy for everyone that wanted him. I think that’s a much healthier mindset than getting bitter just because we get a character that doesn’t cater to our personal tastes.

It is also a good idea to try to avoid stating your beliefs and opinions as facts. Being overly confident about any character either happening or not happening can only turn around to bite you in the end. People should try to keep an open mind in general.
That's my current mentality when it comes to character inclusions.
Like I said on my first post here, none of the DLC characters were ones I personally wanted, but I can still appreciate their inclusion, especially since there's a lot of characters I never even considered.
Joker's reveal blew my mind. I knew very little about Persona beforehand but I saw a few people talk about him as a potential pipe dream character here and there, and it was so surreal to see that pipedream actually come true.
Hero's moveset is really cool and it's amazing to get a character in Akira Toriyama's art style in the game.
Banjo was a longtime request that few thought was actually possible before that Phil Spencer tweet.
Terry came out of left field for me since I wasn't at all familiar with SNK, but he was still really cool and brought some amazing music with him.
I get why some were upset over Byleth but I really enjoy playing as them, not to mention their inclusion made me play the game sooner than I intended, and it's one of my favorite games of all time now.
Arms and Xenoblade 2 were both games I thought would get into the base game before Ultimate was announced, so it's nice to see them actually get fighters. Plus, I saw tons of people who wanted a Xenoblade 2 character specifically.
Steve made me cringe somewhat because of the Cursed Steve debacle but I completely understand why he's in, and his is probably why I started playing Minecraft with my friends.
Sephiroth was a character I never even thought was possible, but he's awesome and it's nice that FF7 has actual content in the game now.
And it was only a matter of time until Tekken got a rep, so Kazuya's inclusion makes a lot of sense.
I think the final fighter will be a Pokémon from Gen 8, which I wouldn't be excited for in the slightest, but I would probably tolerate nonetheless. Regardless of my feelings about Sword and Shield, that game has some really cool new Pokémon.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
you know though, I could at least see Mii Costumes not ruling out a series, just a character

Rex costume = we got Pythra later
Spring Man and Ribbon Girl Miis and an AT of the former = we got Min Min later
Heihachi costume = we got Kazuya later

and just sayin but we got Squid Sisters Miis earlier this pass… what if Off the Hook Octoling

do agree Geno is 100% done tho
I feel like it depends on the content of mii costumes.

If they get all their old mii costumes back then yeah, I wouldn’t write them off for that company getting a new rep.

If they get new mii costumes on top of that then I feel they’re unlikely and probably not getting a new fighter.

If there was plans for a new fighter from a specific company I feel you’d just hold off those new mii costumes until the reveal of that character

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Crash Bandicoot would be cool. I don't know what I'd think about having Activision/Blizzard's name placed on the copyright section. I mean Konami have been exposed for treating their employees badly too and Cutie Gwen mentions time and time again that Nintendo supports child slavery, yet knowing that most of us still get excited for the next Nintendo direct.

Forgive me for getting deep here but the world is full of unjustice and it can be found in companies we enjoy so we either accept what they do and continue consuming their products or stop supporting them outright and take a stance against the crimes they're committing
Chinese sweat shops, bro.
I was talking about genocide, not slavery and sweat shops.

Do be warned there's legit nasty stuff here
Is it cheating if it's Travis despite it being tomorrow?

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Astral Chain would be cool from a standpoint of having a potential Heritage for the Future/Persona 4 Arena styled moveset
But also Resident Evil would be rad, need Leon to suplex Mario or have Chris inherit Charizard's Rock Smash
And NMH just got spirits and Travis is an insanely fun character

It's kinda hard to pick so it really depends on my mood lol but those are my big three atm

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Astral Chain would be cool from a standpoint of having a potential Heritage for the Future/Persona 4 Arena styled moveset
But also Resident Evil would be rad, need Leon to suplex Mario or have Chris inherit Charizard's Rock Smash
And NMH just got spirits and Travis is an insanely fun character

It's kinda hard to pick so it really depends on my mood lol but those are my big three atm
Is that Moon Knight as your pfp 👀

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I know I just said I don't want a Gen 8 Pokémon, but SwSh was the only game that got a spirit board that I played for more than 5 minutes.
So I pick Astral Chain because I played it for exactly 5 minutes and it was pretty neat.

Staarih

Smash Master
Paper Mario of course. Not sure if that counts tho as there were PM spirits before the event already.

Travis Touchdown as a close second but I appreciate the Mii Costume too.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
->Still Geno talk.

It's time to let go. I don't understand this obsession over him even after he's been deconfirmed for nearly a year.

"But Rex was co-"

Yes a mii costume that was back in Pass 1 as oppose to Geno's being in this Pass. There's a difference.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Final DLC character is Yuri Lowell from Tales of Vesperia.

He will be a fun and unique character but casual smash fans will catalog him of “generic anime swordsman”

Hardcore smashboards fans will be pised because they didn’t choose Lloyd, though Sakurai at his presentation will explain why Yuri.

Nobody will complained from all music from different Tales games that will be included.

He has a purple hair so fits the color background theory.

How do you will react?

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

He will be a fun and unique character but casual smash fans will catalog him of “generic anime swordsman”

Hardcore smashboards fans will be pised because they didn’t choose Lloyd, though Sakurai at his presentation will explain why Yuri.

Nobody will complained from all music from different Tales games that will be included.

How do you will react?
I doubt we're getting two Bandai-Namco characters back to back but I wouldn't have any complaints. Yuri is a cool dude.

Just give include a voice actor joke in his trailer with Little Mac and we're good.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

How do you will react?
It further validates my head canon of Project X Zone 2 being canon to Smash Ultimate so I’ll happily take it :awesome:

now we’d have SIX playable characters shared between both games: Ryu, Ken, Chrom, Lucina, Kazuya and Yuri

SNEKeater

Smash Master
The amounts of salt Yuri would cause if he was CP11 would be immense but tbh, I just don't care.

I made a moveset for him months ago so he has that dubious honor as well lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom