• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Final DLC character is Yuri Lowell from Tales of Vesperia.

He will be a fun and unique character but casual smash fans will catalog him of “generic anime swordsman”

Hardcore smashboards fans will be pised because they didn’t choose Lloyd, though Sakurai at his presentation will explain why Yuri.

Nobody will complained from all music from different Tales games that will be included.

He has a purple hair so fits the color background theory.

How do you will react?
I would be pretty happy. Yuri is a cool character and my second favorite Tales protagonist after Velvet. While I prefer Velvet and think she would have a more interesting moveset, I would be perfectly fine with Yuri. I never really liked Lloyd so I wouldn’t be bothered at all not getting him.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I don't know what it is, I just always found Tales a pretty boring choice for a guest character in Smash. It just always seemed like a middle of the road JRPG series to me, and generally speaking I always tend to see more people online complaining how bad each game is than really praising them.

Personally I'm glad we got Tekken instead, especially with it being Namco's biggest IP. Just a shame we couldn't get Resident Evil in here for Capcom as well (also Monster Hunter I guess, but at least that has a assist trophy and boss fight).

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Never played Tales but Yuri seems like a pretty cool character, so I'd be down. What I heard from the Tales soundtrack was phenomenal so I'd be all for that as well.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
If you honestly thought that you wouldn’t be saying it is a Pokémon.
Byleth was revealed in a dedicated showcase and Sakurai did say we'll be waiting a while for the final character announcement. Though since I posted this, others in this thread have convinced me that it's gonna be sooner rather than later.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
And if it isn’t Geno, you’re gonna have to go get a GBA emulator and all four Mega Man Zero games. Deal?
Bruh why would you even suggest this when the Zero collection is now both easily found and at a fair price?

Also OH BOY IT'S TIME AGAIN
IMG_20210420_214310.jpg

It's Velvet or nothing, sorry Yuri, I'm not sure I want to try Vesperia

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I don’t know, it could be a Pokémon from Legends of Arceus or whatever that they’ll have to reveal more info for first before revealing that it’s in Smash.
I think it's gonna be specifically from Gen 8. You know damn well I wouldn't be opposed to what you're proposing, I'm just being realistic.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Legends Arceus is literally too new for pass 2.
To be fair I would be talking about a Pokémon that appeared earlier in the series rather than a fully new character. Even then, Pokémon are easier to design a moveset from with just sketches since you don’t have to represent the whole game‘s lore but just the few keywords that define the design.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Ladies and gentlemen, the REAL Koei Tecmo rep:

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman
Final DLC character is Yuri Lowell from Tales of Vesperia.

He will be a fun and unique character but casual smash fans will catalog him of “generic anime swordsman”

Hardcore smashboards fans will be pised because they didn’t choose Lloyd, though Sakurai at his presentation will explain why Yuri.

Nobody will complained from all music from different Tales games that will be included.

He has a purple hair so fits the color background theory.

How do you will react?
I'd be annoyed they went for another Third Party RPG over Golden Sun...again. I'd be doubly annoyed they didn't at least pick Lloyd :4pacman:
If it wasn't the last character, I probably wouldn't care.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
A Gen 8 Pokémon is fine as long as it’s interesting. I would love to see Orbeetle, Toxtricity, or Corviknight. I’m a little bored with starter Pokémon in Smash and I’m not really a huge fan of Cinderace so I’d rather have most other Pokémon. Even if we ended up with Cinderace, I’d still be happy for its fans (and maybe it could make for a fun Wakka or Tidus mod),

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman
To be fair I would be talking about a Pokémon that appeared earlier in the series rather than a fully new character. Even then, Pokémon are easier to design a moveset from with just sketches since you don’t have to represent the whole game‘s lore but just the few keywords that define the design.
Lucario is already in Smash, it’s not going to be a Gen 4 Pokémon.

And Gen 8 already got a spirit event after pass 2 was decided. CP11 is not a Pokemon.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
A Gen 8 Pokémon is fine as long as it’s interesting. I would love to see Orbeetle, Toxtricity, or Corviknight. I’m a little bored with starter Pokémon in Smash and I’m not really a huge fan of Cinderace so I’d rather have most other Pokémon. Even if we ended up with Cinderace, I’d still be happy for its fans (and maybe it could make for a fun Wakka or Tidus mod),
I think I'm done with starters in Smash. Decidueye is the only exception because I have actual personal reasons to want him and it's not like he will actually be in the game, but the Gen 8 starters bore me to tears in every way possible.
I'd rather have someone like Grimmsnarl or Toxtricity for Gen 8.
And Gen 8 already got a spirit event after pass 2 was decided. CP11 is not a Pokemon.
Aight what are we betting

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I don't know what it is, I just always found Tales a pretty boring choice for a guest character in Smash. It just always seemed like a middle of the road JRPG series to me, and generally speaking I always tend to see more people online complaining how bad each game is than really praising them.

Personally I'm glad we got Tekken instead, especially with it being Namco's biggest IP. Just a shame we couldn't get Resident Evil in here for Capcom as well (also Monster Hunter I guess, but at least that has a assist trophy and boss fight).
I mean you can find that in any fandom. Some more than others, of course, but what you're saying isn't that different from Final Fantasy or Persona, to name 2 examples, where you can see a lot of fans constantly making fun of any entry that isn't their favorite one.

I'd agree that from what I've played I don't think Tales is a 10/10 franchise, but that doesn't mean it's bad. Not at all.

Bruh why would you even suggest this when the Zero collection is now both easily found and at a fair price?

Also OH BOY IT'S TIME AGAIN
View attachment 327817
It's Velvet or nothing, sorry Yuri, I'm not sure I want to try Vesperia
Well at least Vesperia was fun and interesting to play for me. I started Berseria but stopped for the moment after like 10 hours, maybe I wasn't in the mood for it which is something that happens with me from time to time, but idk, I didn't like the combat so far.

Velvet is definitely cool tho and the story felt kinda interesting so far, but not enough to keep me playing considering I'm not feeling the combat. I will try it again sooner or later because something similar happened with Vesperia for me, so I hope to enjoy it more next time.

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman
I think I'm done with starters in Smash. Decidueye is the only exception because I have actual personal reasons to want him and it's not like he will actually be in the game, but the Gen 8 starters bore me to tears in every way possible.
I'd rather have someone like Grimmsnarl or Toxtricity for Gen 8.

To be fair, Pokémon has a lot going against it by normal standards. Not only did they get a Gen 7 rep in Base Ultimate (we've not had repeats of series in Ultimate yet), Sword and Shield got a spirit event, and the game came out in 2019, which is much later than all the other new first party reps.

That being said. Pokémon is the biggest franchise in the world. Of course Nintendo wants to dangle a new Pokémon in front of its audience. Even without the fallout they'll still get loads of downloads. It's such a Nintendo thing to do, and it worries me.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I mean you can find that in any fandom. Some more than others, of course, but what you're saying isn't that different from Final Fantasy or Persona, to name 2 examples, where you can see a lot of fans constantly making fun of any entry that isn't their favorite one.

I'd agree that from what I've played I don't think Tales is a 10/10 franchise, but that doesn't mean it's bad. Not at all.

Well at least Vesperia was fun and interesting to play for me. I started Berseria but stopped for the moment after like 10 hours, maybe I wasn't in the mood for it which is something that happens with me from time to time, but idk, I didn't like the combat so far.

Velvet is definitely cool tho and the story felt kinda interesting so far, but not enough to keep me playing considering I'm not feeling the combat. I will try it again sooner or later because something similar happened with Vesperia for me, so I hope to enjoy it more next time.
I get the feeling, did not care for the gameplay at all but the characters and story had me hooked so I kept going on unlike Symphonia which started out as somewhat intruiging but after 18 hours and the 8th party member never really felt like it picked up

Theguy123

Smash Lord
People of smashboards, it’s your daily reminder they we are 6 days away till September direct month which you know what that means……………. FP11’s reveal!!! (I’ll just pretend the confetti cannons are going off as this is said)

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman
Pokémon is an automatic base roster addition, not dlc material.

Even another Fire Emblem character would be more hype than a Pokémon at this point(and it wouldn’t be Byleth so it automatically would be more exciting than the Fire Emblem rep we did get).

I don’t know how you can think it is going to be a Pokémon when the spirit event literally wouldn’t exist if they already decided a Gen 8 Pokémon was in pass 2(before Sword and Shield even released).

Dukefire

Smash Master
Just be careful as this is the Last Challenger for Ultimate, so changes in plans are possible pass September.

Edit: to lay the record.

No More Heroes Travis Touchdown isn't coming as he is a Costume and the Recent Spirits event coming up. That includes any other spirit events like the BOTW Age of Calamity and Resident Evil.

Indie Characters seems to be done at this point. I mean there's still a chance, but I just don't think it is likely for a fighter rep. Mii Costume best scenario.

Capcom, Bandai, SEGA, Square Enix, Microsoft, Koei Techno and Nintendo have their characters in both passes. Though, any company can still get another character to join if the deal manages to pass.

It could be anyone at this point. Just don't invest on the selected character too much as surprises aren't always in people's favor.

It will be a salt fest before, during and after (give about a month depending on the reveal) the presentation. Remember that Sakurai did his best to please everyone, so give him the rest he deserves for this long project for 20+ years.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I get the feeling, did not care for the gameplay at all but the characters and story had me hooked so I kept going on unlike Symphonia which started out as somewhat intruiging but after 18 hours and the 8th party member never really felt like it picked up
That's kinda funny because I think I didn't have that problem with Symphonia at all, I completed the game without any breaks, unlike Vesperia or Berseria now, but I was more interested in the characters and the story of Vesperia and Berseria.

With Berseria I want to enjoy the combat, but if it doesn't click for me maybe I'll just set the difficulty on easy or something and rush through the story because it genuinely seemed like it could be quite interesting.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Pokémon is an automatic base roster addition, not dlc material.
So is Fire Emblem. The moment there's a relevant thing to pull a character from with these series, they will do it.

Even another Fire Emblem character would be more hype than a Pokémon at this point(and it wouldn’t be Byleth so it automatically would be more exciting than the Fire Emblem rep we did get).
I don't disagree, especially since the last Fire Emblem game was leaps and bounds better than the last Pokémon game, though that's the equivalent of comparing high quality chocolate with actual ****.
I don’t know how you can think it is going to be a Pokémon when the spirit event literally wouldn’t exist if they already decided a Gen 8 Pokémon was in pass 2(before Sword and Shield even released).
We don't know if spirit events mean anything for characters. It's all hypothetical.
Pokémon is the biggest franchise in the world, and this year is its 25th anniversary. And unlike some other series owned by Nintendo, they make sure to remind us of that fact constantly.
I'm just saying.

Gengar84

Smash Hero

I feel like Vesperia and Graces had the best gameplay in the series and Berseria had the best story in my opinion. Tales never really had amazing overall narratives but they really excelled in character interactions. The characters are usually so enjoyable that you don’t really notice the plots are kind of lacking. They remind me of Fire Emblem: Three Houses in that way. They were also a ton of fun to play co-op which is why I’m disappointed that Arise is single player only.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Are the Tales of Series good? Haven't played any of the games before.
Yeah, I enjoy them at least. I feel like their strong point is the fun dialogue between the characters like I’ve mentioned above. The only Tales game I felt wasn’t that great is Zestiria.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Yeah, I enjoy them at least. I feel like their strong point is the fun dialogue between the characters like I’ve mentioned above. The only Tales game I felt wasn’t that great is Zestiria.
Isn't that one on the Switch or on another past console?

osby

Smash Obsessed
I feel like Vesperia and Graces had the best gameplay in the series and Berseria had the best story in my opinion. Tales never really had amazing overall narratives but they really excelled in character interactions. The characters are usually so enjoyable that you don’t really notice the plots are kind of lacking. They remind me of Fire Emblem: Three Houses in that way. They were also a ton of fun to play co-op which is why I’m disappointed that Arise is single player only.
You can say the same for most character-driven JRPGs.

Like, I love Persona but the plot is remarkable in like maybe two and a half of them. It's how characters react to these events that make the story.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
The way I see who the last company could be is this. Remember this is my personal opinion so don’t take this as facts. It’s just the way I feel like with who FP11 won’t be.

I don’t see it being bandi Namco because I don’t see them getting 2 reps back to back

I don’t see it being square Enix or Microsoft because I don’t see them getting 2 reps in 1 pass. I feel if there was a company that was allowed 2 in 1 pass it would be Namco due to working on the game but I don’t think they’ll get it

I don’t see capcom getting a rep because of the successive amount of news costumes along with all their returning costumes they got in this dlc pass

I don’t see it being a 1st party rep

I don’t see it being Konami because on top of their old costume they got, they also got a new deluxe mii costume that just gives me the impression they’re done

I don’t see any company that got a new set of costumes being the last spot

and I personally don’t see any western company taking the last spot due to how long it took Microsoft and Nintendo with how close Microsoft is.

my head is with it being either SNK, sega (not atlus. Just officially sega themselves) or just a new company that’s got very little representation in the whole off the game and has had no mii costumes in pass 2

I’m a bit doubtful though I’ll admit with snk. I feel like terry wasn’t just to represent Terry’s part of his franchise. It was more to represent the whole of snk so I’m on the doubt side of that but I think it’s a possibility

Dukefire

Smash Master
If it was SEGA, who would it be and the music track and stage to come with it.

IDK if Sonic is getting another. Vectorman, Ristar, Altered Beast, AiAi (Monkey Ball), or even Nights to name some are another rep to consider, but most haven't received a comeback in a while (Well, exclude Monkey Ball as a lot knows its return soon).

Edit: adding Arle from Puyo Puyo since I forget

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord

IDK if Sonic is getting another. Vectorman, Ristar, Altered Beast, AiAi (Monkey Ball), or even Nights to name some are another rep to consider, but most haven't received a comeback in a while (Well, exclude Monkey Ball as a lot knows its return soon).

if I had to rank sega characters in order of how likely sega are to pick them to least likely then I’d probably put it in this order (btw not that familiar off the franchises apart from sonic and puyo puyo so I’m going with what I know from sega franchises and sales wise)

phantasy star
Puyo puyo
Sonic
Yakuza
Total war

osby

Smash Obsessed

There are a lot of good choices but my first pick would be a Yakuza character. They can go either with Kiryu or Ichiban, both are great. For the stage, Millenium Tower feels like a no-brainer. For tracks, I'd rather have them pull from all main games which would give us something like this:

Receive You
Funk Goes On
Son of a Gun (Kiwami)
Outlaw's Lullaby (Kiwami 2)
Bad Fortune Flower
Rebellious Phase
Speed Star
Massive Fire
Crash Addiction
One-Eyed Assassin
The Battle for the Dream
Pledge of Demon