• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
How about we take a break from the tension of Smash speculation to instead speculate about a character that’s going to be revealed sooner?

It seems to be the standard that Super Monkey Ball character(s) are revealed on Wednesdays (Beat, Sonic, Tails, and Kiryu so far,) but, this is the first one to be revealed at an event like this instead of just being dropped on Twitter and YouTube.
To be fair Geoff loves to hype up things.

It's safe to assume the character is going to be from Sega as well. I was thinking maybe Joker or Morgana from Persona 5. Jack Frost as some cross promotion for SMTV would be also possible.

If not, who knows, maybe Axel Stone? Akira from Virtua Fighter? Alex Kidd?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
How about we take a break from the tension of Smash speculation to instead speculate about a character that’s going to be revealed sooner?

It seems to be the standard that Super Monkey Ball character(s) are revealed on Wednesdays (Beat, Sonic, Tails, and Kiryu so far,) but, this is the first one to be revealed at an event like this instead of just being dropped on Twitter and YouTube.
It's Reggie

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Billy Hatcher because I'm DESPERATE!

cashregister9

Smash Hero

It's going to be the ball from Monkey Ball

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

Ecco the Dolphin inside a water filled ball.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

It's me. I'm joining SUPER MONKEY BALL BANANA MANIA.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Whelp nevermind its no surprise the purple color scheme had been debunked.

Back to square one then but at least just another few weeks...I hope...

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master

Probably a FallGuy since Aiai was leaked as a costume for cross promotion which is lame but whatever

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Let's go Danica Patrick

Ivander

Smash Legend
Possibly phantasy star.
Maybe. I feel like Phantasy Star is one of those actual dark horse candidates when it comes to Smash. For one, it's finally starting to get back attention in the West after like, 8-9 years. So it's not entirely unknown. Two, the original Phantasy Star was an important and influential game, for both RPGs and Sega.
  • For RPGs, it was one of the first RPGs to have actual named main characters or Pre-determined characters rather than a character you gave a name to and sometimes could customize, one of the first ones to have a female lead, one of the first RPGs to use a science fiction setting compared to Tolkien fantasy, basically, it broke alot of molds that were created with Dragon Quest and Legend of Zelda.
  • For Sega, it was the game that gave rise to the legends Yuji Naka and Naoto Ohshima who would make Sonic the Hedgehog, as well as Nights and Burning Rangers. Yuji Naka would also make Phantasy Star II alongside legendary Sega artist and producer Rieko Kodama, who would direct Phantasy Star IV, both of which were critically acclaimed games, and Kodama would go on to produce Skies of Arcadia, which was also critically acclaimed. And Yuji Naka would also be responsible for Phantasy Star Online, which would be the inspiration and influence for Namco's .hack series and Capcom's Monster Hunter, and it was also credited for being the influence for alot of multiplayer dungeon crawlers that would flood in Japan after it's release.
    Without Phantasy Star and it's success, it is quite possible that alot of these games, especially Sonic the Hedgehog, may never have happened.
And last but not least, Phantasy Star II's Story Submission campaign was what inspired Sakurai to become a video game developer, as Captain Shwampy Captain Shwampy re-posted a while ago.

So basically, despite not getting alot of attention for Smash speculation, Phantasy Star has actually had a real impact on gaming and developers, including Sakurai. To me, this series would make a lot of sense as a "Terry" pick, where it's not one that gets alot of attention speculation-wise and is overshadowed by alot of more popular picks like Kingdom Hearts, Devil May Cry, etc. But it could be picked because of it's important influence to the gaming industry and the developers it inspired, like how Fatal Fury inspired Sakurai and was an important influence for Smash Bros.

I honestly don't believe that Phantasy Star is a lock. But I do think it has a reasonable chance. Will it bring the last fighter? Who knows? We have to wait and find out.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team

It's going to be Altered Beast of course.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
i mentioned i was making a youtube video on why I thought the last fighter would be from Undertale, right? I just finished the script, I have to record the audio and get some background footage, but I think i can get it up by tuesday!

i can't wait for all this effort to go out the window when we get bronto burt as fp11
Two updates:

1. Thank God I'm not going into voice acting, most of these lines aren't that great (and the editing is super noticable and choppy. Don't be expecting an Emmy winning performance or anything.

2. Due to various factors (ie me being lasy), I didn't even record the whole thing. School starts tommorow, so I'm getting way more busy all of a sudden. I should be able to get this done by Fri, and I'm aiming for earliee

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
i mentioned i was making a youtube video on why I thought the last fighter would be from Undertale, right? I just finished the script, I have to record the audio and get some background footage, but I think i can get it up by tuesday!

i can't wait for all this effort to go out the window when we get bronto burt as fp11
Two updates:

1. Thank God I'm not going into voice acting, most of these lines aren't that great (and the editing is super noticable and choppy. Don't be expecting an Emmy winning performance or anything.

2. Due to various factors (ie me being lasy), I didn't even record the whole thing. School starts tommorow, so I'm getting way more busy all of a sudden. I should be able to get this done by Fri, and I'm aiming for earliee

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace

Larcen Tyler from Eternal Champions.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
All this talk is putting me in a Sega mood. So I would like to ask all of you my fellow Smashers which Sega characters you want? The ones whom I'm most interested in are:
  • Eggman
  • Shadow
  • Sakura Shinguji
  • Axel Stone
  • Vectorman
  • Arle Nadja
Putting this into perspective, it shows how great Sega's library is, and I didn't even mention Ristar, Phantasy Star, Yakuza or SMT, Jet Set Radio, Monkey Ball, among others.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
All this talk is putting me in a Sega mood. So I would like to ask all of you my fellow Smashers which Sega characters you want? The ones whom I'm most interested in are:
  • Eggman
  • Shadow
  • Sakura Shinguji
  • Axel Stone
  • Vectorman
  • Arle Nadja
Putting this into perspective, it shows how great Sega's library is, and I didn't even mention Ristar, Phantasy Star, Yakuza or SMT.
Of every Sega character, Asha from Monster World IV is the one I hope is in the most.

Someone from Phantasy Star is a close second.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
  • Eggman
  • Shadow
  • Sakura Shinguji
  • Axel Stone
  • Vectorman
  • Arle Nadja
Putting this into perspective, it shows how great Sega's library is, and I didn't even mention Ristar, Phantasy Star, Yakuza or SMT, Jet Set Radio, Monkey Ball, among others.
you can only imagine how those other guys would be in smash. the vectorsquaud has already won. we're in a smash game

SNEKeater

Smash Master
  • Eggman
  • Shadow
  • Sakura Shinguji
  • Axel Stone
  • Vectorman
  • Arle Nadja
For me it's Kiryu, SMT rep and Axel Stone, in terms of characters I want.

But the likes of Arle, Beat or Akira would be quite exciting for me as well.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I don't know if Sega owns the character or not since the Wonder Boy/Adventure Island series needs a damn flow chart to figure out, but getting Jin from Monster Boy and Cursed Kingdom would be awesome.

With the transformation mechanic, he could manage the rare feat of being an anime swordsman, and a cereal box mascot at the same time.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
  • Eggman
  • Shadow
  • Sakura Shinguji
  • Axel Stone
  • Vectorman
  • Arle Nadja
Comical Machine Gun Joe

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I feel like I'm the only one not buying into this Purple Background stuff lol.
I mean, even if the background IS purple, is has absolutely nothing to do with the character. So...it's not very useful.

Says the guy who wants Dark Nakoruru...

Sakurai be like "We wanted to add a character from X and we chose Vile over Zero to reference the X1 remake"
And why would he want to reference a PSP-only game?

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I don't know if Sega owns the character or not since the Wonder Boy/Adventure Island series needs a damn flow chart to figure out, but getting Jin from Monster Boy and Cursed Kingdom would be awesome.

With the transformation mechanic, he could manage the rare feat of being an anime swordsman, and a cereal box mascot at the same time.
Its a half ownership between SEGA and LAT(Westone) similar to Capcom and Udon ownership of Strider
All Westone published SEGA titles are half and half owned and credit both companies in the copyright section

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman
Can’t wait to tell my grandkids one day that I was there when the legendary

M theory
Mute theory
Colour theory
Parallel theory

were all debunked
M theory is not debunked, and neither is color theory nor parallel theory(depending on what you use for it).

I have already explained why that Gamefaqs thread didn’t debunk M theory. M theory was started based on mature rated franchises being censored in AMERICAN Smash presentations when the person noticed the Assasin’s Creed mii costume was censored along with the showing of pass 1. What Europe did afterward with Kazuya literally doesn’t matter for M theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom