• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I don't know what cartoons you like, but yea.
Also I'm 18, so I grew up on 2000s and early 2010s shows
Well, I'm 42. But I also recognize that the cartoons I grew up with were trash.

Cartoons didn't get good till, like, Batman: TAS and Gargoyles.

Of couse I STILL watch cartoons, because I'm a manchild. And TDI sucked. Last Airbender and Teen Titans were the shows to watch in your era. Assuming you weren't watching anime.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Ok now hold on buddy
Total Drama is good.

I don't know what cartoons you like, but yea.
Also I'm 18, so I grew up on 2000s and early 2010s shows 😬
I definitely had a TDI phase as a young'un (she says, also age 18) but I don't really care for it nowadays, if it's even still a thing...

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I highly doubt Alucard
Castlevania has a myriad of content. 34 tracks, 2 fighters, an AT, a decent collection of spirits, and not to mention A BOSS
Funny enough there's still quite a bit you can add in terms of songs and spirits have enough ideas to see, I feel that the "Alucard can't bring enough new content" argument solely exists to go "Please talk about ATs more but not that one as I don't want him"

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I've been pretty inactive lately, but I'm in the same boat as everyone else. I just find this whole situation really funny. It yeets an entire direct off the face of the internet (Except Twitch), but only that one specific direct. Logically, I'd usually say it means nothing, but I can't come up with a logical explanation at all anyways so who the %$#@ knows at this point :drshrug:

ZelDan

Smash Master
Now, I don't entirely buy into the "august 2018 direct being deleted due to AT promotion" idea. I could still see this all meaning nothing in the end even.

That said, Zero, Alucard, and Shovel Knight are all characters I'd like to see in Smash so I wouldn't be upset at all if it WAS the case.

Inb4 Klap trap is the AT that gets promoted into a fighter.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Wait guys. Big brain idea. That direct was how we knew FF would still only have 2 songs with Ultimate 3 years ago, continuing the meme. Now what if Square wanted this meme scrapped as the next newcomer is from them and he'd canonically have a problem with it and would want it solved? Said character of course being...
IMG_20210807_065510.jpg

Time to zetta crunch these yoctograms

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Wait guys. Big brain idea. That direct was how we knew FF would still only have 2 songs with Ultimate 3 years ago, continuing the meme. Now what if Square wanted this meme scrapped as the next newcomer is from them and he'd canonically have a problem with it and would want it solved? Said character of course being...
View attachment 325479
Wasn't that game's translation getting a ton of flack recently?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Wasn't that game's translation getting a ton of flack recently?
Only by people who think it's unacceptable to portray modern day teenagers using modern day slang in a modern day setting, that's like saying TMNT or Sonic were bad when they came out because of how cool and radical they were supposed to be

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
ALL these people mentioning Konami characters, and missing their most recognizable--- FROGGER

As for the missing video, my guess is that there is some change in Youtube guidelines, algorithms, or some other related reason.

Would be fun if the whole Direct was just recapping information we already know but some AT is just never mentioned until fact 50 after fact 49 was their trailer,
Well... most fun would be if each fact was a new mode, character, stage, costume, item, or AT, and then it ended with Sakurai teaching us the ABC's- since last time he ended with teaching us to count.
Well, I'm 42. But I also recognize that the cartoons I grew up with were trash.

Cartoons didn't get good till, like, Batman: TAS and Gargoyles.

Of couse I STILL watch cartoons, because I'm a manchild. And TDI sucked. Last Airbender and Teen Titans were the shows to watch in your era. Assuming you weren't watching anime.
You have me quite beat in age- but as someone who was in his teens in the 00s, I can tell you-
Yes, Avatar and Teen Titans. Those were two of the best. There's no disputing this.

....I'm trying to find something to prove there were more good ones, but compared to this, it's pretty difficult.
Justice League was one of them, but it was just an extension of what you already listed (as was Static Shock).

As far as for-kids, kids cartoons, I would say Total Drama was decent, in the moments where it spoofed the genre.
Jackie Chan was amazing. The Boondocks was poignant (not for kids). Foster's Home..., Totally Spies, Brace Face, As Told by Ginger, Kim Possible, The Proud Family, X-Men Evolution, Drawn Together, Xiaolin Showdown. There were other... decent cartoons. But yes... you did name two of the top three.

Last edited:

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
Only by people who think it's unacceptable to portray modern day teenagers using modern day slang in a modern day setting, that's like saying TMNT or Sonic were bad when they came out because of how cool and radical they were supposed to be
I've not played the game, but I've seen the screenshots, and it's more accurate than most games in sounding like actual teenagers. Like, I know at leat 5 people who mention stuff being sus and there are definitely people who do the whole "capitalism bad" thing as their entire personality. It's really unfunny, but it's also pretty accurate. The entire point of localisation is to change things to match the context of another culture, not just directly translate stuff.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I've not played the game, but I've seen the screenshots, and it's more accurate than most games in sounding like actual teenagers. Like, I know at leat 5 people who mention stuff being sus and there are definitely people who do the whole "capitalism bad" thing as their entire personality. It's really unfunny, but it's also pretty accurate. The entire point of localisation is to change things to match the context of another culture, not just directly translate stuff.
I think this little rant sums it up best;
Disregard everything after the level up (or not, Chugga's content is really good).

Last edited:

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
I think this little rant sums it up best;
Disregard everything after the level up (or not, Chugga's content is really good).
I absolutely love that. It's done in a way that makes sense in the story, and is pretty funny on its own.

I definitely agree with what he said about Japanese references being in games all the time that we just don't get. It's not a thing that localisers do, it's something that everyone does. Localisers change the Japanese references to make sense to us, while adding references we'd understand. That's literally their job, and if a game's just directly translated, that can make a really bad localisation. Not always, but definitely sometimes.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I'm telling you all, the whole August 8th presentation take down is misdirection. Nintendo probably had another similar SNK copyright incident and had to shift the attention away from it.

We're probably too late to find out what they did wrong and they made a fool of us!

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I definitely had a TDI phase as a young'un (she says, also age 18) but I don't really care for it nowadays, if it's even still a thing...
Kinda. There's a show on now called Total Dramarama which is basically TDI Babies. Which you'd THINK would be a baby show, but despite them all being in a day-care, is about the same maturity level as the old show, only without the romantic subplots.

The Boondocks was poignant (not for kids)
Oh, sure. I wasn't even counting adult animation. Cause then you've got stuff like Venture Bros, Harvey Birdman, Futurama, etc.

And of course a ton of anime.

Last edited:

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
I'm telling you all, the whole August 8th presentation take down is misdirection. Nintendo probably had another similar SNK copyright incident and had to shift the attention away from it.

We're probably too late to find out what they did wrong and they made a fool of us!
I feel like people would have noticed if this happened, but it's not impossible. That would also probably mean the reveal's soon, since Terry was revealed pretty much right after the SNK leak. If any of this means anything, I feel like it does point towards some news soon at least.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Funny enough there's still quite a bit you can add in terms of songs and spirits have enough ideas to see, I feel that the "Alucard can't bring enough new content" argument solely exists to go "Please talk about ATs more but not that one as I don't want him"
Oh no, it’s not that I don’t like Alucard at all, my apologies if that impression came across based on what I said, Gwen.

I never touched a Castlevania game other than the OG NES one but I am a fan of the Netflix series.
I suppose Alucard could indeed bring some new stuff. I would just be surprised if he got in is all( in a way).
As someone told me before, the dude does fit second Chance theory.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Aqua Teen Hunger Force. Now that was a cartoon! Actually I loved all the old AS shows..

Good morning! Did everyone sleep well with thoughts of fp11 dancing in their heads? Literally I did dream about a character who dances and they're name is Primrose.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I dunno... on one hand, from what I've played with the demo, I thought it was pretty on point. Especially because it's a story set in the "real world", in modern times.

But I don't really like the idea of the bolded part. I've lost count of how many times I discovered something new about other cultures because I ended up researching what the original version of a fictional work was like and my reaction was "why didn't they keep it in". I feel like some changes are made just for the sake of change. Learning new aspects of someone else's culture through fictional works is part of the fun of it for me.

And it's like Chugaa says in that clip - it was way less prevalent back then. Doesn't help that sometimes these changes make the game sound dated or...

... yeah, like that.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
But I don't really like the idea of the bolded part. I've lost count of how many times I discovered something new about other cultures because I ended up researching what the original version of a fictional work was like and my reaction was "why didn't they keep it in". I feel like some changes are made just for the sake of change. Learning new aspects of someone else's culture through fictional works is part of the fun of it for me.

And it's like Chugaa says in that clip - it was way less prevalent back then. Doesn't help that sometimes these changes make the game sound dated or...

... yeah, like that.
I agree with this. Partners in Time is more of like the Mega Man & Bass of the Mario & Luigi games: an underrated gem.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I agree with this. Partners in Time is more of like the Mega Man & Bass of the Mario & Luigi games: an underrated gem.
I remember my only real complaint with PiT was the inability to traverse freely between areas like other M&L games - which feels a bit restrictive at times. Otherwise I remember having a great time with it.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I found the 4 buttons required to decently win a bit of a downer in PiT. The game is good, don't get me wrong. Lovely story, enemies are neat, though them being buffed in the US version didn't help. It was a bit harder than needed. Trying to use more than one button to dodge something is what got at me. It's just too overwhelming control-wise.

I didn't play Dream Team yet. I think I did nearly beat PiT, though? That one is surprisingly the easiest game for me due to less puzzles, which oftentimes can roadblock me.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Oh no, it’s not that I don’t like Alucard at all, my apologies if that impression came across based on what I said, Gwen.

I never touched a Castlevania game other than the OG NES one but I am a fan of the Netflix series.
I suppose Alucard could indeed bring some new stuff. I would just be surprised if he got in is all( in a way).
As someone told me before, the dude does fit second Chance theory.
Oh no, I never got that from you, but from the argument, especially the first person I saw use it

SNEKeater

Smash Master
View attachment 325479
Where I have to sign for this to actually happen

His Final Smash would be of course him just recite the entirety of π, which would confuse his opponents so badly that they would get hurt by math

And Transformation would obviously be the song for his reveal trailer.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Where I have to sign for this to actually happen

His Final Smash would be of course him just recite the entirety of π, which would confuse his opponents so badly that they would get hurt by math

And Transformation would obviously be the song for his reveal trailer.

You're off your vector of you think that's π
p7v6y4v6x3m21.png

If you subtract from the entirety again you'll be erased in 299 792 458 m/s.

EDIT: **** I could have said total instead of entirety for more Sho bull****, I'm a fake TWEWY fan

Also, I randomly got in the mood for Punch Out and I realized that if you want to get another character from it and make them very different from Mac, Aran ****ing Ryan's the best choice as he constantly cheats with all sorts of boxing illegal ****

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
On the topic of TWEWY, here's a NEO Spirit Event I did for fun:
Rindo.png Rindo (NEO: The World Ends with You)
Class: ★★★
Type: Support (Shield)
Cost: ⬡⬡
Effect: Critical-Health Healing ↑
  • Puppet Fighter: :ultshulk: (Color 4)
  • Stage: Mementos
  • Music Track: Beneath the Mask
  • Match: Stock (1)
  • Items:
    • Franklin Badge
    • Screw Attack
  • Conditions:
    • The enemy favors down specials
    • The enemy is easily distracted by items
    • The enemy heals significantly when badly damaged
Fret.png Fret (NEO: The World Ends with You)
Class: ★★
Type: Support (Attack)
Cost: ⬡
Effect: PSI Attack ↑
  • Puppet Fighter: :ultlucas: (Color 6)
  • Stage: Battlefield Mementos
  • Music Track: Mass Destruction
  • Conditions:
    • The enemy's PSI attacks have increased power
    • Hostile Assist Trophies (Dr. Kawashima)
Nagi.png Nagi (NEO: The World Ends with You)
Class: ★★
Type: Support (Grab)
Cost: ⬡⬡
Effect: KO's Heal Damage
  • Puppet Fighter: :ultjokeralt: (Color 8)
    • Reinforcement to :ultgnw:x10 (default)
  • Stage: Mementos
  • Music Track: Aria of the Soul
  • Conditions:
    • Defeat an army of fighters
    • The enemy has increased attack power
    • Reinforcements appear after the enemy is defeated
Sho Minamimoto.png Sho Minamimoto (NEO: The World Ends with You)
Class: ★★★★
Type: Pimary (Attack)
Slots: ⬡⬡⬡
Effect: Initial Damage 30%
  • Puppet Fighter: :ultwolf: (Color 7)
    • Minions: :ultgreninja:x2 (Color 7)
  • Stage: :npc: Ω
  • Music Track: Rivers in the Desert
  • Conditions:
    • Defeat the main fighter to win
    • The enemy (:ultwolf:) starts the battle with an enhanced Ray Gun
      • ...And favors neutral specials
    • Hostile Assist Trophies (Dr. Kawashima)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom