• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Yes, and much like Timesplitters 2, Cortez’s Alts would be completely different characters through time such as:

Harry Tipper, Captain Ash, Mr. Underwood, Amy Chen, Corporal Hart, Chasity Detroit, and Jo-Beth Casey
More like Corporal Hart, Captain Ash, Viola, Harry Tipper, Gretel MkII, Elijah Jones and Chastity since those are the different characters that Cortez can transform into in TimeSplitters 2.

Sgt. Cortez smash.jpg
Corp Hart smash.jpg
Captain Ash smash.jpg
Viola smash.jpg
Harry Tipper smash.jpg
Gretel MK2 smash.jpg
Elijah Jones smash.jpg
Chastity smash.jpg

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Guys I have a question for you all. I know this pass has been great, however it’s clearly not had the hype as much as the first pass.

My question is what order would you have placed each character currently in this pass in, in order to achieve maximum hype for the pass.

for me I’d personally had placed it as

Steve, min min, kazuya, pyra/myphra and then sephiroth. That or

kazuya, min min, Steve, pyra/myphra, sephiroth

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
More like Corporal Hart, Captain Ash, Viola, Harry Tipper, Gretel MkII, Elijah Jones and Chastity since those are the different characters that Cortez can transform into in TimeSplitters 2.

I was actually thinking the same thing after I posted. This would be more true to character

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Unless the last character is already somebody mind blowing, I would have ended on Sephiroth. Because that's clearly the biggest, most hype reveal of the pass so far.
Except debatably Steve. But yeah I agree putting the most hype reveals in the middle would be a bad idea if the next character isn’t something at least Kazuya level.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
You're off your vector of you think that's π
View attachment 325492

If you subtract from the entirety again you'll be erased in 299 792 458 m/s.

EDIT: ** I could have said total instead of entirety for more Sho bull**, I'm a fake TWEWY fan

Also, I randomly got in the mood for Punch Out and I realized that if you want to get another character from it and make them very different from Mac, Aran *ing Ryan's the best choice as he constantly cheats with all sorts of boxing illegal *
"THE WORLD'S MADE UP OF NUMBERS!" is the most devastating fourth wall break in history.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Unless the last character is already somebody mind blowing, I would have ended on Sephiroth. Because that's clearly the biggest, most hype reveal of the pass so far.
Except debatably Steve. But yeah I agree putting the most hype reveals in the middle would be a bad idea if the next character isn’t something at least Kazuya level.
It's why I look at characters like Phoenix Wright, Arle, or Professor Layton. All 3 of which have a Kazuya-level of popularity and at least would generate more positive feedback than negative. That, and the development timeline for SMT5 doesn't add up and it also doesn't make sense to promote a character for a game that won't be released for months in any part of the world to finish off the pass. Even the FE promotional characters games for Smash 4 and Ultimate were at least around for a few months in Japan like in Corrin's case

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Also, I randomly got in the mood for Punch Out and I realized that if you want to get another character from it and make them very different from Mac, Aran *ing Ryan's the best choice as he constantly cheats with all sorts of boxing illegal *
He's so bad that during the video on how much the other boxers cheat, he goes "alright who's next?"

sreaming Aran

"Oh screw that." moves on

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I found the second hype more interesting than the first one. Both in terms of gameplay and of character choices.
Sephiroth, Kazuya and Steve were extremely good and popular additions in the videogame scene, Min Min has an interesting moveset, same with Steve, and I enjoy the huge amount of combos you can do with Kazuya. Sephiroth is simple but I like to use him. Only character I really don't like is Pyra and Mythra.
The first pass was not terrible but except for Terry it doesn't have a character I enjoy using. I don't like Joker very much, I absolutely hate how Hero plays, Banjo is okay but nothing much and far from being my first choice, same with Byleth.

That's how they do this for Smash. Initially, they would have ended up Smash for Wii U/3DS with Corrin according to Sakurai (since he was forced on him) were it not for the excuse of the ballot and adding Bayonetta as a bonus. They also decided to finish the first pass on Byleth after Banjo, Hero and Joker. I really don't expect a character as known, popular or hype as Sephiroth, Steve or Kazuya. I could be wrong but I don't see that happening at all.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
It's why I look at characters like Phoenix Wright, Arle, or Professor Layton. All 3 of which have a Kazuya-level of popularity and at least would generate more positive feedback than negative. That, and the development timeline for SMT5 doesn't add up and it also doesn't make sense to promote a character for a game that won't be released for months in any part of the world to finish off the pass. Even the FE promotional characters games for Smash 4 and Ultimate were at least around for a few months in Japan like in Corrin's case
do we have a specific timeline for when the 2nd pass was chosen other than knowing it was said to have been already decided during Terry’s announcement in 2019

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
That's how they do this for Smash. Initially, they would have ended up Smash for Wii U/3DS with Corrin according to Sakurai (since he was forced on him) were it not for the excuse of the ballot and adding Bayonetta as a bonus. They also decided to finish the first pass on Byleth after Banjo, Hero and Joker. I really don't expect a character as known, popular or hype as Sephiroth, Steve or Kazuya. I could be wrong but I don't see that happening at all.
Well, if they knew for sure they would make a Ballot Pick, I would still say they intended to end on a high note in Smash 4.

While I do see how a pattern can be drawn to make all DLC end on a more low key reveal. The other reveals haven’t been the consistent either. Sometimes they’ll start on a bang like Joker, or a smaller note like Min Min.

I guess it really depends on what the characters Nintendo chose are, since they’re release schedule was likely made after they were decided.

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Heres the thing
Any character can get more positivity than negativity. That happened for all the DLC characters we got from 3rd party Steve to 1st party Byleth.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
So, any changes on the august direct stuff? Has it finally been taken down from everywhere? Has it been reuploaded? Has any info come forth about its situation?

MattX20

Smash Hero
do we have a specific timeline for when the 2nd pass was chosen other than knowing it was said to have been already decided during Terry’s announcement in 2019
From what I've gathered in various circles, the DLC was all decided on by the end of 2018, and negotiations concluded towards the end of the following year. That, and SMT5 from what I understand only began development and was announced to be in development in 2017

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think that honor belongs to Steve.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Guys I have a question for you all. I know this pass has been great, however it’s clearly not had the hype as much as the first pass.

My question is what order would you have placed each character currently in this pass in, in order to achieve maximum hype for the pass.

for me I’d personally had placed it as

Steve, min min, kazuya, pyra/myphra and then sephiroth. That or

kazuya, min min, Steve, pyra/myphra, sephiroth
I don't think it would make a difference which character came first. The initial hype factor is really what matters here. In my opinion, I think what matters is which characters are replaced. From what I've seen Min Min and Kazuya are the least popular characters of pass 2 based on their initial reaction.

So I'd just replace Kazuya with Crash Bandicoot and Min Min with Waluigi or somebody. I don't know.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I don't think it would make a difference which character came first. The initial hype factor is really what matters here. In my opinion, I think what matters is which characters are replaced. From what I've seen Min Min and Kazuya are the least popular characters of pass 2 based on their initial reaction.

So I'd just replace Kazuya with Crash Bandicoot and Min Min with Waluigi or somebody. I don't know.
I think the hands down least popular character was Pythra.
The way I saw the hype: Pythra < Min Min < Kazuya < Sephiroth < Steve
The only negativity I saw around Kazuya was that he wasn't a big western third party for the E3 spot, and that has nothing to do with the actual character, just timing.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
For me: FP2 > FP1

Most of it has to do with my familiarity with the characters and franchises chosen. My knowledge of Persona, DQ, and Fatal Fury was and still is kind of mediocre, so that made it harder for me to get excited. I was familiar with Banjo and FE, but neither of the characters from those franchises were up my alley anyway.

ARMS, Minecraft, FF7, and XC2 are all games that I'm more familiar with, so I knew what the characters were capable of. I also had an easier time understanding the references in the trailers, which is something that makes a trailer immensely more enjoyable.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I have preferred Fighters Pass 2 compared to Pass 1- to me, the bigger the character (as far as cultural impact, sales, and character notoriety), the more impact. Steve outpaces everyone. Joker and Byleth were uneventful for me (especially Byleth, it was more of getting the obvious FE addition out of the way and doing my best to forget it- which is the most clear consensus I see). Sephiroth and Kazuya are huge. Min Min is at least a new IP.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
What an ultimate way to end the ultimate game
that or shadow the hedgehog just for the ultimate life form pun. I’m 100% confident that if the last rep is an AT upgrade it would be shadow 100% just so Nintendo and sega could make that “I’m the ultimate life form” pun (ya know, because the game is smash bros ULTIMATE)

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The one thing that always gets me with these "who's the hypest" stuff is that gameplay is usually completely ignored.

And that makes me sad.
For me- gameplay isn't what is hype. It is fun, but not hype. I actually enjoy playing as most characters.
that or shadow the hedgehog just for the ultimate life form pun. I’m 100% confident that if the last rep is an AT upgrade it would be shadow 100% just so Nintendo and sega could make that “I’m the ultimate life form” pun (ya know, because the game is smash bros ULTIMATE)
Is this a serious statement that you think they would choose a character just for wording (which is irrelevant in the Japanese version)?

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I think the hands down least popular character was Pythra.
The way I saw the hype: Pythra < Min Min < Kazuya < Sephiroth < Steve
The only negativity I saw around Kazuya was that he wasn't a big western third party for the E3 spot, and that has nothing to do with the actual character, just timing.
Pyra/Mythra were very popular in Japan. Min Min and Kazuya are the only two that didn't have as much popularity from either the west or Japan.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Another Punch-Out!! rep? I'd go with Mr. Sandman. Bowser's lonely, we need another fast superheavy. And the taunts, come on.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Pyra/Mythra were very popular in Japan. Min Min and Kazuya are the only two that didn't have as much popularity from either the west or Japan.
Min Min is also extremely popular in Japan, and Kazuya is popular in both the East and the West.
Steve might be bigger, but no way is he more hype.
We can agree to disagree. We both see it as a very clear answer.
I speak for THE WORLD and the collective consciousness of gamers!
Eek. I'm sorry you carry that burden, most people are idiots.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Min Min is also extremely popular in Japan, and Kazuya is popular in both the East and the West.
Didn't see as much of an outcry for Min Min as with Pyra/Mythra though and not a lot of people really discussed about Kazuya if we're talking about hype levels.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I’m personally not going to compare the passes until I see who CP11 is.
How about this instead:

Currently, both passes have five characters. One team will hunt you down, the other will defend you at all costs. You cannot mix up characters from the first pass and the second one.

Which one do you choose to defend yourself from the other? Bonus: including the completely differet characters alts.

Just a reminder if you guys forgot who is actually in which:

Team 1;
-Joker
-Hero (all four of them)
-Banjo & Kazooie
-Terry
-Byleth (male and female)

Team 2;
-Min Min
-Steve (as well as Alex, Enderman and Zombie)
-Sephiroth
-Pyra & Mythra
-Kazuya

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
For me- gameplay isn't what is hype. It is fun, but not hype. I actually enjoy playing as most characters.

Is this a serious statement that you think they would choose a character just for wording (which is irrelevant in the Japanese version)?
you misunderstood what I meant. Shadow’s personality in spin-off games shows him as a cocky edgelord who loves to gloat about himself and call himself the ultimate life form.

Considering smash is a spin-off fighting game, his personality would be based off the spin-offs he’s in so I feel if shadow would fit being last because he’d be gloating about how he’s the ultimate life form and would be using the “ultimate” pun in his trailer.

shadow being last would be fitting due to his personality and his overuse of “I’m the ultimate life form” to the point where I could see shadow being last like I said and being used as a pun because the game is called smash bros “ultimate”

I wasn’t referring to the splash screens that pop up when a character is announced. Was referring to his personality and how I could see hon being last so they could make an ultimate pun off him and the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom