• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Didn't see as much of an outcry for Min Min as with Pyra/Mythra though and not a lot of people really discussed about Kazuya if we're talking about hype levels.
I don't think Outcry = Hype (and I hesitate to say you hold this standard either, as I saw zero outcry for Sephiroth, yet he was hype).
Kazuya saw no outcry, you're correct. Yet, he completely satiated majority of Heihachi fans, who many disconfirmed based on personal bias of a Mii costume meaning more than it did.

If 'outcry' were all that mattered, an entire 12 characters of JRPGs would be hype- which would be a let down for a significant portion of Smash fans, and I believe, be received, overall, poorly.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
you misunderstood what I meant. Shadow’s personality in spin-off games shows him as a cocky edgelord who loves to gloat about himself and call himself the ultimate life form.

Considering smash is a spin-off fighting game, his personality would be based off the spin-offs he’s in so I feel if shadow would fit being last because he’d be gloating about how he’s the ultimate life form and would be using the “ultimate” pun in his trailer.

shadow being last would be fitting due to his personality and his overuse of “I’m the ultimate life form” to the point where I could see shadow being last like I said and being used as a pun because the game is called smash bros “ultimate”

I wasn’t referring to the splash screens that pop up when a character is announced. Was referring to his personality and how I could see hon being last so they could make an ultimate pun off him and the game
I fully disagree with Smash basing Shadow off of his eponymous game, and not the games we see him from majority of the time. I'm not sure where that has even happened in Smash Bros, prior.
Additionally, Smash Ultimate is called Smash Special in Japan. Even if it were the same title, I just struggle to believe that you could see them adding a character based on word play.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I fully disagree with Smash basing Shadow off of his eponymous game, and not the games we see him from majority of the time. I'm not sure where that has even happened in Smash Bros, prior.
Additionally, Smash Ultimate is called Smash Special in Japan. Even if it were the same title, I just struggle to believe that you could see them adding a character based on word play.
again, I never even said they’d add shadow just to make a pun. Where are you getting that from???

SKX31

Smash Master
Yes, and much like Timesplitters 2, Cortez’s Alts would be completely different characters through time such as:

Harry Tipper, Captain Ash, Mr. Underwood, Amy Chen, Corporal Hart, Chasity Detroit, and Jo-Beth Casey
I do feel that Jo-Beth would have to be edited and censored though, because... well, this design is used in the story and is as such the more prominent one by default. It's definetely not "good boys and girls" territory (it wouldn't pass CERO, I can guarantee that).

So, any changes on the august direct stuff? Has it finally been taken down from everywhere? Has it been reuploaded? Has any info come forth about its situation?
Nope. Nothing new on this front: Nintendo still has it listed (although privated) in the Nintendo Direct archive, and the Twitch video is still up.

And nothing on Nintendo's twitter about upcoming Smash info either.

Pyra/Mythra were very popular in Japan. Min Min and Kazuya are the only two that didn't have as much popularity from either the west or Japan.
TBF, Kazuya's popularity is a bit more spread. The West / Japan both have pretty strong Tekken fanbases, but arguably the main Tekken nexus is South Korea. Not only is it home to some of the most well-known Tekken players such as Knee (the Green Arcade - where a lot of the foremost Tekken players incl. Knee thrived - didn't close its doors until 2018) but a Korea v. Japan 5v5 pulled in over 1 million Korean views. Nintendo does have a presence in South Korea, so I'd imagine that they view that as a welcome bonus when deciding on Kazuya.

Another place where Tekken is surprisingly popular is Pakistan. Sure, it's not that relevant to Smash since Nintendo doesn't have much of a presence there nor does a lot of Switches find their way over there either, but still: people only started to notice when Pakistan's foremost player Arslan Ash started to go to American, Japanese and Korean tournaments - taking EVO 2019 by beating Knee in the Grand Finals and leading to more Pakistani players flying out to US, Japan and Korea.

How about this instead:

Currently, both passes have five characters. One team will hunt you down, the other will defend you at all costs. You cannot mix up characters from the first pass and the second one.

Which one do you choose to defend yourself from the other?
FP2. No question.

You have three characters with stupid range / poking ability (one of which can transform into a blindingly fast rushdown character), one that can build walls and stall until he gets Diamond, and one character whose toolkit is so massive he can handle a surprising amount of situations himself. Sure you might run into some loyalty issues with Sephiroth and Kazuya, but those are exactly the kind of characters that you don't want against you either.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I don't think Outcry = Hype (and I hesitate to say you hold this standard either, as I saw zero outcry for Sephiroth, yet he was hype).
Kazuya saw no outcry, you're correct. Yet, he completely satiated majority of Heihachi fans, who many disconfirmed based on personal bias of a Mii costume meaning more than it did.

If 'outcry' were all that mattered, an entire 12 characters of JRPGs would be hype- which would be a let down for a significant portion of Smash fans, and I believe, be received, overall, poorly.
Bottom line is that Pyra/Mythra were more popular in Japan than Min Min because there is a bigger fanbase for Xenoblade 2 over ARMS. As for Kazuya, there just didn't seem to be much talk about him compared to other characters, kind of like Terry.

Pyra/Mythra just had more going on over in Japan.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Bottom line is that Pyra/Mythra were more popular in Japan than Min Min because there is a bigger fanbase for Xenoblade 2 over ARMS. As for Kazuya, there just didn't seem to be much talk about him compared to other characters, kind of like Terry.

I think there are more Xenoblade fans than ARMS fans period (sorry ARMS fan, you go strong)

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
FP2. No question.

You have three characters with stupid range / poking ability (one of which can transform into a blindingly fast rushdown character), one that can build walls and stall until he gets Diamond, and one character whose toolkit is so massive he can handle a surprising amount of situations himself. Sure you might into some loyalty issues with Sephiroth and Kazuya, but those are exactly the kind of characters that you don't want against you either.
I would also choose the second pass to defend myself, however I didn't have directly the gameplay in mind, lol!
I was thinking the characters from their game of origin. But even taking this in consideration;
-Sephiroth is an alien demi-God
-Pyra and Mythra have extremely useful abilities
-Kazuya is extremely strong in close quarters
-Steve can literally build a shelter in whatever material for you
-Min Min can cook for you

That's why, to make things slightly more balanced, I also added the alts for Byleth and Hero. However I don't think anyone from the first Pass can really defeat Sephiroth, Pyra and Mythra.

Pyra and Mythra are also more sexy. A good part of what make them popular is that they are good-looking anime girls, one being a Tsundere and the other the Mother type, as well as revealing clothes.

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord

if the Japanese smash trailers are anything to go off, more people in Japan were more excited for min min over pyra and myphra.

pyra and myphra’s stand alone trailer has 1.7 million

and min min’s has 3.4 million views.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
again, I never even said they’d add shadow just to make a pun. Where are you getting that from???
Everything underlined.

Considering smash is a spin-off fighting game, his personality would be based off the spin-offs he’s in so I feel if shadow would fit being last because he’d be gloating about how he’s the ultimate life form and would be using the “ultimate” pun in his trailer.

shadow being last would be fitting due to...his overuse of “I’m the ultimate life form” to the point where I could see shadow being last like I said and being used as a pun because the game is called smash bros “ultimate”

I wasn’t referring to the splash screens that pop up when a character is announced. Was referring to his personality and how I could see hon being last so they could make an ultimate pun off him and the game
that or shadow the hedgehog just for the ultimate life form pun....just so Nintendo and sega could make that “I’m the ultimate life form” pun (ya know, because the game is smash bros ULTIMATE)

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
if the Japanese smash trailers are anything to go off, more people in Japan were more excited for min min over pyra and myphra.

People were not excited for Min Min.
They were excited for Captain Falcon eating noodles.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
People were not excited for Min Min.
They were excited for Captain Falcon eating noodles.
you have literally no proof of that. Not even a source. That’s an absolute ridiculous claim. By that logic people only watched pyra and myphra’s trailer so they could see their large areas and weren’t actually interested in the character.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

You keep using these incongruent arguments- for one character, it is fanbase size, for the immediately preceding one, you throw that away and then make the argument about "talk." You make no mention of fan interaction, immediate reception, or dozens of other factors at play.

If bigger fanbase for a series is the single important factor, then Piranha Plant is the biggest character of DLC, because it comes from the biggest series.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
you have literally no proof of that. Not even a source. That’s an absolute ridiculous claim. By that logic people only watched pyra and myphra’s trailer so they could see their large areas and weren’t actually interested in the character.
I don't think I've seen someone fail to see such blatant sarcasm before

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I wonder if you really took it first degree or playing 4D chess on me.
can it be both. I didn’t know if you were being serious or not. My post was just to provoke which probably wasn’t a good idea if I’m honest. It’s hard to tell over the internet when someone’s being serious

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Ah I see. I could of sworn that Pyra/Mythra were more hyped in Japan.

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
How about this instead:

Currently, both passes have five characters. One team will hunt you down, the other will defend you at all costs. You cannot mix up characters from the first pass and the second one.

Which one do you choose to defend yourself from the other? Bonus: including the completely differet characters alts.

Just a reminder if you guys forgot who is actually in which:

Team 1;
-Joker
-Hero (all four of them)
-Banjo & Kazooie
-Terry
-Byleth (male and female)

Team 2;
-Min Min
-Steve (as well as Alex, Enderman and Zombie)
-Sephiroth
-Pyra & Mythra
-Kazuya
pfft all u rly need steve and kaz. just build an underground base and use kazuya's multi billionaire ceo powers for infinite food

CureParfait

Smash Ace
How about this instead:

Which one do you choose to defend yourself from the other? Bonus: including the completely differet characters alts.

Team 1;
-Joker
-Hero (all four of them)
-Banjo & Kazooie
-Terry

Team 2;
-Min Min
-Sephiroth
-Pyra & Mythra
-Kazuya
Pass 2 by a long shot.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
From what I've gathered in various circles, the DLC was all decided on by the end of 2018, and negotiations concluded towards the end of the following year. That, and SMT5 from what I understand only began development and was announced to be in development in 2017
To clarify, we don't know how advanced was SMT5 when it was announced, probably during the early stages of development considering the initial trailer was just a brief teaser.
But it was announced on January of 2017, during the Switch presentation. So it's not like it was revealed on summer or at the end of the year.

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
Wait guys. Big brain idea. That direct was how we knew FF would still only have 2 songs with Ultimate 3 years ago, continuing the meme. Now what if Square wanted this meme scrapped as the next newcomer is from them and he'd canonically have a problem with it and would want it solved? Said character of course being...
View attachment 325479
Time to zetta crunch these yoctograms
Resident math goblin uncle

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
How about this instead:

Team 1;
-Joker
-Hero (all four of them)
-Banjo & Kazooie
-Terry

Team 2;
-Min Min
-Sephiroth
-Pyra & Mythra
-Kazuya
Pass 2 with an asterisk. I don't know how good Byleth gets at using the Sword of the Creator, but if they're able to destroy an entire mountain in one swing, I don't think anyone's really going to stand a chance. Otherwise it's:
  • Man with ghosty powers and a gun
  • 4 mages that sling random spells
  • A bear and a bird
  • A punchy guy
  • Two masters of arms
vs.
  • A boxer with Mr. Fantastic arms, and a boxing glove that shoots lasers
  • Four Minecraft PCs that can work together to build the most complicated fortresses imaginable
  • What I'm pretty sure is a god-like being as he appears in Super Smash Bros.
  • Blade girl who can explode things and alter ego who has sky lasers
  • Man with demon form
I don't think there's much of a contest in terms of strength.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
if the Japanese smash trailers are anything to go off
They're not. Nor are the western ones. The way Nintendo distributes and tags the trailers results in other uploads siphoning off large amounts of traffic from the official channel, making the metrics unreliable. Very often the official upload isn't even the one with the most views.

You also have to consider the differing formats in which trailers are first shown, whether solo or part of a direct or other presentation, which will also factor into the dissemination of views. And in some cases, some solo trailers go up late, which will hinder the view count.

In general, because of the way Nintendo has handled these trailers, it's just a bad idea to compare official view counts.

Last edited:

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Pass 2 with an asterisk. I don't know how good Byleth gets at using the Sword of the Creator, but if they're able to destroy an entire mountain in one swing, I don't think anyone's really going to stand a chance. Otherwise it's:
  • Man with ghosty powers and a gun
  • 4 mages that sling random spells
  • A bear and a bird
  • A punchy guy
  • Two masters of arms
vs.
  • A boxer with Mr. Fantastic arms, and a boxing glove that shoots lasers
  • Four Minecraft PCs that can work together to build the most complicated fortresses imaginable
  • What I'm pretty sure is a god-like being as he appears in Super Smash Bros.
  • Blade girl who can explode things and alter ego who has sky lasers
  • Man with demon form
I don't think there's much of a contest in terms of strength.
I would say some of the first pass can do quite a bit:
Joker can make people change their mind and it has god destroying powers at his peak
And I remember people mentioning something about Byleth being capable of manipulating time or something....

I agree on the rest though.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Ok I’ve been playing more NEO TWEWY and recording episodes to upload to Twitch to avoid spoilers…among other reasons and if my three bonuses stages theory is true I hope a TWEWY stage with songs from the original and NEO is one of them

cause damn I absolutely love this song:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I would say some of the first pass can do quite a bit:
Joker can make people change their mind and it has god destroying powers at his peak
And I remember people mentioning something about Byleth being capable of manipulating time or something....
I think the "protec at all costs" scenario would prevent a mind change, but yeah, Joker would be more powerful if we consider more Personas than just Arsene.

As for Divine Pulse, that one's kind of tricky since while Byleth can rewind time it has a limited number of uses, and is completely useless in a no-win scenario since there's already nothing they can do.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
How about this instead:

Team 1;
-Joker
-Hero (all four of them)
-Banjo & Kazooie
-Terry

Team 2;
-Min Min
-Sephiroth
-Pyra & Mythra
-Kazuya
Going with team 1 because they're full of heroes and heroes have the greatest power of any character, plot armour! No matter how strong Team 2 might look, no matter how many buildings they can build, no matter if they can turn into demons or gods, they're going to fail eventually. Team 1 will pull something out of their ass to save them.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Don't we have an in-Smash-canon to most power?
Sephiroth slayed the demon which conquered all others.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
This isn't relevant to whatever the current topic is, but Touhou 17.5 seems to have gotten a finalized release date
東方剛欲異聞 ~ 水没した沈愁地獄 on Steam (steampowered.com)
For context, this is also the game that had a year between the first and second demos, got delayed because of COVID, and now it's releasing after Touhou 18.

I just thought I should bring it up

Ivander

Smash Legend
I think the "protec at all costs" scenario would prevent a mind change, but yeah, Joker would be more powerful if we consider more Personas than just Arsene.

As for Divine Pulse, that one's kind of tricky since while Byleth can rewind time it has a limited number of uses, and is completely useless in a no-win scenario since there's already nothing they can do.
I mean, if we are adding gameplay elements, a reminder that Banjo and Kazooie not only have Wonderwing, but also, in fact, cheats for infinite items and whatnot. Infinite Wonderwing is a thing.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
To clarify, we don't know how advanced was SMT5 when it was announced, probably during the early stages of development considering the initial trailer was just a brief teaser.
But it was announced on January of 2017, during the Switch presentation. So it's not like it was revealed on summer or at the end of the year.
Even so, the development timeline doesn't match when compared to XBC2, ARMS, or even FE3H, all of which were either too late for the base roster or the first fighter pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom