• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
So, what happens if we dont get anything at all tonight? No spirits. No event. Nothing.

Today on random Twitter games:

Which one y'all taking?
Anything but cell phone stuff. I am not into the transaction market.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Gengar84

Smash Hero
When you get a fighter in Smash nobody else in the fanbase wanted (even better if they were actively and vehemently pushing against said fighter)

While we wait for the event announcement, which one was/could be your guys'?
Pretty much all of my top 25 most wanted characters. Not many other people want Zegram, the Battletoads, Magus, Illidan, Lu Bu, or most others on my list.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Some people in the Discord server I frequent are have argued that if it turns out to be a Great Ace Attorney spirit event, then Phoenix is automatically out, even though Heihachi's Mii costume didn't deconfirm Kazuya. It's really damn petty

Ivander

Smash Legend

Which one y'all taking?
What else but despair? :ultcorrin::ultbyleth:

Speaking of which, it turns out we may not get the house now because the wood for the house has some not-so-good components that are potentially lethal. Geez...

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman

Which one y'all taking?
Flashback to that Fire Emblem Heroes poll, which Nintendo/Sakurai would surely pull from to determine the FE:H rep in this absolute dream scenario

206.jpg

2-10_2_Lyn_s_Motivation.PNG

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Some people in the Discord server I frequent are have argued that if it turns out to be a Great Ace Attorney spirit event, then Phoenix is automatically out, even though Heihachi's Mii costume didn't deconfirm Kazuya. It's really damn petty
Maybe they're using the "if they were coming, they wouldn't release Spirits" logic?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
The logic is hideously flawed no matter how you slice it. Ryunosuke being a spirit would not harm Phoenix's chances
OBJECTION!

If these Spirits are specifically based on Great Ace Attorney, then that means this takes place BEFORE Ryunosuke had children, in which case...

slams desk and points dramatically

How can Phoenix even exist if his ancestor was killed before he could have children!?!?

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman

Which one y'all taking?
Yo-kai Watch. I already feel tired from just imagining all the anime swordsman complaints if Euden got in and there's a chance that someone besides the characters I want from FEH and Pokemon Sw/Sh got in because those don't have a very obvious choice compared to the other two for me.

7NATOR

Smash Master
The Event being missing is weird. Last time this happened, it happened with Monster Hunter Rise, where the Event appeared on Thursday. I'm expecting this to be a New Spirit Event

In any case, I got a weird Question. I was watching this Video about Subway $5 footlong

In around 4 and a Half Minutes, they talk about the Franchising Agreements between the Franchise and Franchisees, and I thought about how this might seem similar to how Nintendo Negotiates with 3rd parties on the Latter. Subway and Nintendo are 2 Completely different Companies, but as Businesses, this seems to be similiar

The proposed document of how Licensing/Franchising would work would be something like

-The Lease, or the Length of allowed use of the Licensed Content
-The Fees, both Upfront and in potential Royalties, that need to be Paid by the Company wanting the Licensed Content
-The requirement that need to be met when using the Proposed content

So the Question I have to ask people, while we wait to see what going on with Spirit event, Is how do you think the Specific Negotiations went with each 3rd party? as an example

Sonic (Ultimate)

-10 Year use, and only apply to Smash Ultimate game
-$10,000 fees
-Sonic alts must be shade of Blue, he needs to have Spindash, Homing Attack, Must use the Current Voice Actor (Roger Craig Smith)

Also I'm sorry I didn't supply the Apex Legends rumors. I was busy, but it seems like people did it anyway and there was good discussion. yes

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Them being late for the weekly thing isn't that weird. It has happened multiple times at this point.

That said, I'm really hoping for a TWEWY spirit evento. I have been playing Neo: The World Ends with You since last week. I'm almost at the end and it has been a wild ride, some of the twists at the final days are crazy. It's a fantastic game

I'm not expecting Square Enix to get another character this pass so Neku is basically out of the picture, that's why I'd like some spirits for the new game. It would also make sense, specially after seeing how many spirit events for Square related games we got since Ultimate released.

For those reasons I'd be kinda shocked if NEO: TWEWY doesn't get a spirit event. C'mon I want that Minamimoto 4 star spirit :mad:

Maybe they're using the "if they were coming, they wouldn't release Spirits" logic?
I don't know because I really, really doubt Phoenix Wright would being spirits from the Great Ace Attorney games.
Not because those aren't important but Spirit boards for DLC characters so far usually have around 8-10 spirits. And the mainline Ace Attorney games have more than enough relevant and popular characters for a spirit board before even going into spin-offs

Like, I'd expect something like
1. Maya
2. Mia
3. Pearl
4. Edgeworth
5. Gumshoe
6. Von Karma
7. Franziska
8. Godot
9. Apollo
10. Trucy
11. Athena

Those feel like a given if you ask me. And then you still have some of the other prosecutors or popular secondary characters, some with multiple appearances in the series, like Ema or Wendy Oldbag.

Aboyd

Smash Cadet
The Event being missing is weird. Last time this happened, it happened with Monster Hunter Rise, where the Event appeared on Thursday. I'm expecting this to be a New Spirit Event

In any case, I got a weird Question. I was watching this Video about Subway $5 footlong

In around 4 and a Half Minutes, they talk about the Franchising Agreements between the Franchise and Franchisees, and I thought about how this might seem similar to how Nintendo Negotiates with 3rd parties on the Latter. Subway and Nintendo are 2 Completely different Companies, but as Businesses, this seems to be similiar

The proposed document of how Licensing/Franchising would work would be something like

-The Lease, or the Length of allowed use of the Licensed Content
-The Fees, both Upfront and in potential Royalties, that need to be Paid by the Company wanting the Licensed Content
-The requirement that need to be met when using the Proposed content

So the Question I have to ask people, while we wait to see what going on with Spirit event, Is how do you think the Specific Negotiations went with each 3rd party? as an example

Sonic (Ultimate)

-10 Year use, and only apply to Smash Ultimate game
-$10,000 fees
-Sonic alts must be shade of Blue, he needs to have Spindash, Homing Attack, Must use the Current Voice Actor (Roger Craig Smith)

Also I'm sorry I didn't supply the Apex Legends rumors. I was busy, but it seems like people did it anyway and there was good discussion. yes
I feel like it would be a bit similar, but since franchises are IPs they would be a lot of rules. In addition to those, must have all language voice actors, make him less expressive than Brawl, etc.

There would also be negotiating music, which would vary as pointed out by the Sephiroth presentation. He may need to talk with more companies like FF music, he may only need one company like SNK, he may be told the company wants full rights over any remixes like Street Fighter, Sonic, Final Fantasy and Undertale

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
If we get Great Ace Attorney spirits but none from the mainline games I will be almost convinced Phoenix is a mii or CP11. I very highly doubt the spinoff with two games that took half a decade to be localized beats the mainline series with six games and a massive internet following. I just can’t believe it. I mean, I’ll believe it if it does somehow happen, but I won’t believe it.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
...Must use the Current Voice Actor (Roger Craig Smith)
While this sounds like a reasonable mandate, but I don't think they have much of a reason to not use the current voice actor for a character.

In fact, how many characters have used an outdated voice actor? Off a cursory glance, the only one I can think of is Captain Falcon, as he's gotten a different voice actor in F-Zero GX, but didn't change in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. That and King Dedede being voiced by Sakurai, which I doubt is the case in modern Kirby.

Also today I learned that Mike West is Fox's voice actor in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3Ds/Wii U and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, as well as in Star Fox Zero, Starlink: Battle for Atlas, and Star Fox 64. The heck happened in ssb4?
EDIT: After listening to some of his portrayals of the character, my guess is that he was just told "do like you did in Star Fox 64" without considering how the more nasally voice would sound when the character started yelling.

Last edited:

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
Just as a reminder, before that, the last time this happened, we got Octopath Traveler spirits announced on Thursday. I think a new spirit event is pretty likely, and we're probably getting either Ace Attorney or TWEWY. I would love both because I'm a fan of both series, but I hope that we at least get a Phoenix/Neku spirit instead of solely representing the new games.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Cool choices. Here's my picks:
  • Kirby series: Either Dark Meta Knight (he could be a semi-clone to Meta Knight like how Ganondorf is a semi-clone to Captain Falcon) or Shadow Kirby from Amazing Mirror (they could make him a semi-clone to Kirby and give him a different moveset (for example, side B could be the Burning copy ability)). The Mirror World is a rather under-visited aspect of the Kirby series anyway.
  • Metal Gear series: "Nanomachines, son."
  • Sonic series: Blaze or Shadow could be good picks. But for the love of god, they better not make Shadow the one from Free Riders.
  • Mega Man series: Zero, of course. I mean, have you even SEEN my signature?
  • Punch Out series: I believe THIS speaks for itself.
  • Mii Fighters: A ninja, I guess? I like ninjas.
  • Street Fighter series: I'd either go for Sakura - due to her being easily the most popular character from that series - or even Guy from Final Fight. Hey, the series' scope goes way beyond just Street Fighter itself.
  • Final Fantasy series: Terra, Locke, or hell - even Shadow.
  • Dragon Quest series: Angelo from Dragon Quest 8 or Anlucia from Dragon Quest 10 (hey, I played a demo of DQX at GameStop when I was younger, so I've got some history with this series).
  • Fatal Fury series: Seeing the series' scope goes beyond just Fatal Fury and maybe even SNK itself (Zero's story in SVC Chaos did happen after all, since Ciel was working on how to solve the energy crisis while also keeping in touch with Zero), I'd say either Athena or K' & Kula as a duo/swap character.
  • Tekken series: Raven from Tekken 5 (seriously, how does naming your attacks "Salamander" and "Dark Matter" NOT sound awesome?).
I'm... curious about some of your choices.
Another character rep for Kirby- and your top choice is... another Dark version of Meta Knight?
And of series that you'd want to get more, they are almost all third party?

Theguy123

Smash Lord
not saying this is true or not but the situation there is different to the kazuya/heihachi situation since heihachi was a returning mii costume and ace attorney would be new costumes

again would like to clarify I’m not defending their claims or agreeing with their claims.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Parallel theory seems to hold more water, though I would add that this could overlap with M theory, since the pattern isn't strictly tied to companies and "Atlus/Sega rep" is also "M-rated game rep".

All in all interesting, but aside from parallel theory I'm doubtful if these are particularly indicative of who might be joining compared to things like M theory, second chance theory, or that leaked list of 40ish characters, which either demonstrate a clearly established pattern or that have strong forensic evidence in their favor.
Uh... really man? Parallel theory is based on a complete stretch in itself. Any two characters can be related if one applies creativity. There is no congruency in the pairs which the theory brings forward. You might as well say, "these characters both have shoes, these characters both have 8 letters, these characters are both known to love taffy." It's also pretty illogical to think they limited the second pass to have to fit into perimeters of the first.
Parallel theory is ridiculous from any POV.

Ivander

Smash Legend
While this sounds like a reasonable mandate, but I don't think they have much of a reason to not use the current voice actor for a character.

In fact, how many characters have used an outdated voice actor? Off a cursory glance, the only one I can think of is Captain Falcon, as he's gotten a different voice actor in F-Zero GX, but didn't change in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
I have searched everywhere for F-Zero GX's seiyuus and I have not found a single trace for them, assuming GX actually got seiyuus.

But here's the thing. In all the Smash Bros. games, Captain Falcon's seiyuu has always Ryō Horikawa, aka Vegeta. The only time he had a different seiyuu was in GP Legend, the anime, in which case, his seiyuu was Hideyuki Tanaka, who's most notable role we would likely recognize is Otacon from Metal Gear Solid, which in turn makes the Captain Falcon Codec in the JP version a seiyuu connection when you realize Otacon's JP VA also did anime Captain Falcon.
GX, as far as I've found, only has the English voice actor and he only did GX. The ENG voice actor for GP Legend was a different one. Regardless, neither of them came for Brawl. When Brawl came, Ryo was his seiyuu again.

And so far, Sakurai seems intent on having Ryo as Captain Falcon's voice. Heck, Sakurai even brought him back to do just some eating sounds for Captain Falcon in the Min-Min trailer. So while Captain Falcon's voice clips in the game are outdated, his voice actor isn't because Ryo is Captain Falcon's most recent voice actor, as all his previous voice actors were in 2003/04, whereas Brawl was 2008 and if counting the Min-Min trailer, 2020.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
I'm... curious about some of your choices.
Another character rep for Kirby- and your top choice is... another Dark version of Meta Knight?
And of series that you'd want to get more, they are almost all third party?
Dark Meta Knight is actually pretty different to Meta Knight ability wise.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Kerrigan is kind of a weird case because she could easily just be a normal character without any unique mechanics. Or she could be a weird transformation character who starts out as a Ghost, similar to Zero-Suit Samus, and can then cocoon into Queen of Blades form. Or she could have the summons, like you said. There are a lot of options with her, and she would probably be the best Blizzard rep at this point.
I think Tracer or a character from Warcraft would make a pretty damned good Blizzard character.

osby

Smash Obsessed

In fact, how many characters have used an outdated voice actor? Off a cursory glance, the only one I can think of is Captain Falcon, as he's gotten a different voice actor in F-Zero GX, but didn't change in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. That and King Dedede being voiced by Sakurai, which I doubt is the case in modern Kirby.

Also today I learned that Mike West is Fox's voice actor in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3Ds/Wii U and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, as well as in Star Fox Zero, Starlink: Battle for Atlas, and Star Fox 64. The heck happened in ssb4?
EDIT: After listening to some of his portrayals of the character, my guess is that he was just told "do like you did in Star Fox 64" without considering how the more nasally voice would sound when the character started yelling.
Lucina still uses her Smash 4 voice clips, so she's voiced by Laura Bailey instead of her current voice actress, Alexis Tipton.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Jigglypuff got a new VA in the SM anime season a year before Ultimate's release, but they still use clips of her 4Kids VA from back in 64.
Rosalina uses clips from Kerri Kane (her second VA) over her current VA Laura Faye Smith.
Lucario hasn't been voiced by Sean Schemmel since the movie and Bill Rogers is the species' current VA. However, you could argue he doesn't count since Smash's portrayal takes a lot from the movie.

A bit of a fun fact: Wolf barely misses this. In Star Fox Zero, he was reportedly voiced by Mike West, but Starlink came out just before Ultimate by a couple months, which means Jay Ward ended up being his current and most recent VA. That also makes him one of the most consistent VAs the Star Fox characters have had.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom