• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Money isn't the only issue though; Rockstar specifically WANTS to make games that require several years of development, as much manpower as humanly possible, and hundreds of millions invested into them. RDR2 is a good example of this: There were no new Rockstar titles being released between it and GTAV, it's their highest budget work ever, and instead of having it just be done by the San Diego studio like the first one, ALL of Rockstar had to work on it, hence why you just see Rockstar credited at the start instead of Rockstar followed by a specific studio.
Oh yea, for sure.

They don't pull, say, a Cyberpunk 2077. They take their time and the results are more than worth it.

God, I can't wait for GTA VI.

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
i lowkey wish Sakurai did a neutral PR-Speak nonstatement instead of straight up telling us the next dlc character is the last one

at least then I would be able to hope...and dream

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
So Um
The Stoopid Unikorn The Stoopid Unikorn

GTA V is rumored to have made around $11M dollars within the first 24 Hours of launch...
But as of 2020?

GODDAMN ROCKSTAR, CHILL

Also, GTA is the highest grossing franchise It is the most successful video game franchise originating from the UK (Rockstar North developed it, Rockstar Games in the US published it) and is the best-selling action-adventure and open-world series.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
So Um

GTA V is rumored to have made around $11M dollars within the first 24 Hours of launch...
But as of 2020?

GODDAMN ROCKSTAR, CHILL

Also, GTA is the highest grossing franchise It is the most successful video game franchise originating from the UK (Rockstar North developed it, Rockstar Games in the US published it) and is the best-selling action-adventure and open-world series.
I always knew GTA5 was popular. But goddamn that is insane. Can’t wait to play GTA6 with my kids!

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Thought of a GTA Hero-esque situation I'd love to see

Replace Tommy Vercetti (far left) with Franklin Clinton from GTA V and those are the 4 I'd go with. I'd personally make Carl the default, but whatever lol

Minus Tommy: left to right is Carl Johnson (GTA:SA), Niko Bellic (GTA 4), and Claude (GTA 3)

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
So Um

But as of 2020?

GODDAMN ROCKSTAR, CHILL

11 million in one day?

I somehow don't believe that.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
We don't have a choice

Also y'all I remember a 4chan ""leak"" that said some random smash stuff followed by a "I can tell you all the companies involved in Fp2 in some form" list. It had Activision, Valve, Konami, Square, and Capcom to name a few. Anyone know what leak I'm talking about and could someone send a link?
I'm just curious to see what western and non-repped Japanese companies are on it.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The scenario my brain comes up with after seeing Claude:

Sakurai: "To show off how bad this character is, they're gonna take out a baseball bat and clobber their opponents."
Devs: "Wait, doesn't Ness already do that?"
Sakurai: "Who said Ness was a good boy?"

subterrestrial

Smash Ace

Replace Tommy Vercetti (far left) with Franklin Clinton from GTA V and those are the 4 I'd go with. I'd personally make Carl the default, but whatever lol

Minus Tommy: left to right is Carl Johnson (GTA:SA), Niko Bellic (GTA 4), and Claude (GTA 3)
a gta protagonist is unironically one of my pipe dream most wanteds & another hero situation would be amazing. Also gta 5 being the highest grossing media title of all time is insane to me, lmao I remember buying it at launch

inb4 cp11 is michael to promote the rererelease in november

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
So Um

But as of 2020?

GODDAMN ROCKSTAR, CHILL

Does this include microtransactions from GTA Online? If so the potential profit might be even higher than this.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Does this include microtransactions from GTA Online? If so the potential profit might be even higher than this.
The picture itself says it's only the money made from selling the games.

Also, one of those 6 billions are from the first 3 days of release back in 2013. You read that right; 1 billion dollars in 3 days

GTA V's sales back then were absolutely unprecedented.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I wonder how Akira would play if they added him.
From my experience with Virtua fighter (which is not a lot but I did play a bit of 5), those games seems to be technical, like way more than Tekken. I think he have the potential to be a very hard fighter to learn.

But honestly if one day we have a Virtua fighter character I kind of hope they do something like Min min and don't go with Akira because I think he's very boring as a character. I would like Kage-Maru or Pai Chan personally.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
From my experience with Virtua fighter (which is not a lot but I did play a bit of 5), those games seems to be technical, like way more than Tekken. I think he have the potential to be a very hard fighter to learn.

But honestly if one day we have a Virtua fighter character I kind of hope they do something like Min min and don't go with Akira because I think he's very boring as a character. I would like Kage-Maru or Pai Chan personally.
Virtua Fighter is known for being insanely technical to the ridiculous degree. That was about the extent I knew about the series.

I won't like it if it is a Min Min over Spring Man style decision, but considering that Heihachi has way more to work with and Sakurai implied that he was impossible, I can easily see them doing something like that.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
I don't think there's a particular or set order in which the newcomers from a 3rd party IP should get in, sounds like a fanmade quota to me
If that was the case Kazuya could never possibly get in before Heihachi
The reason i put the characters in the order i did was based largely on the fact i expect to have a smash character & games release dates be very close

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
View attachment 322445

Here you go, I’d chalk it up to some extremely lucky guesses though. This person is talking about a lot of post Pass characters even though Sakurai is adamant this is the end.
There also chances of some info being false. We've seen that with Vergeben's source having false info about Master Chief.

Personally, I'll keep my expectations low, but a Capcom final fighter isn't exactly the craziest prediction either. Something like Phoenix Wright seems likely.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
View attachment 322445

Here you go, I’d chalk it up to some extremely lucky guesses though. This person is talking about a lot of post Pass characters even though Sakurai is adamant this is the end.
companies i know are involved include... Steel Wool

aw yeah

Last edited:

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
There also chances of some info being false. We've seen that with Vergeben's source having false info about Master Chief.

Personally, I'll keep my expectations low, but a Capcom final fighter isn't exactly the craziest prediction either. Something like Phoenix Wright seems likely.
I honestly think he was just wrong on the timing in Master Chief's case. There have been a lot of official leaks.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I honestly think he wass just wrong oin the timing in Master Chief's case.
That's also possible; he was wrong about Square having the very first DLC.

But a part of me heavily doubts the idea that Chief wouldn't be the one used for E3.

If I'm wrong, I'll be wrong, but for my sanity's sake, I'm not going to expect it.

There have been a lot of official leaks.
Three of them, iirc. And one of them is Vergeben's, which didn't come true, while another is from ResetEra, which also didn't come true.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
claims that there will be multiple bonus fighters after this pass

Yeah 100% fake.

Also this is the second time I've seen people claim that there would be content from Steel Wool which baffles me because I'm pretty sure FNaF is the only notable franchise they've worked on and they don't even own it.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Virtua Fighter is known for being insanely technical to the ridiculous degree. That was about the extent I knew about the series.

I won't like it if it is a Min Min over Spring Man style decision, but considering that Heihachi has way more to work with and Sakurai implied that he was impossible, I can easily see them doing something like that.
I don't think their situations are similar. Virtua Fighter's been around for decades and SEGA yet to do anything with the series where Akira isn't front and center. It's not like Min Min or Kazuya where they are closer to the "obvious pick".

Also, it's not like Akira's moveset is more complex than his fellow fighters. In fact, he actually has less stuff to incorporate as he lacks any stance gimmicks.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Also, it's not like Akira's moveset is more complex than his fellow fighters. In fact, he actually has less stuff to incorporate as he lacks any stance gimmicks.
Heihachi was implied to be impossible because he didn't have a devil form. My assumption was that they'd pick someone else because they had more stuff to incorporate.

From what I saw on a move list video, pretty much all of his moves look like normals (he does have a few interesting looking attacks but they all seem to start with a normal move so I dunno how they'd handle it).

osby

Smash Obsessed
Heihachi was implied to be impossible because he didn't have a devil form. My assumption was that they'd pick someone else because they had more stuff to incorporate.

From what I saw on a move list video, pretty much all of his moves look like normals (he does have a few interesting looking attacks but they all seem to start with a normal move so I dunno how they'd handle it).
His normal moveset has plenty of attacks to fill a Smash moveset and no other VF character uses anything other than regular martial arts so I don't see them having an edge over Akira in that part.

His specials seem kinda obvious to be. Tetsuzankou has to be there and Renkantai would be his up special. Mouko Kouhazan and Byakko Soushouda and/or Kaiko can easily be the rest of his specials. Akira may be unlikely for a lot of reasons but a lack of moveset is not one of them.

Last edited:

FreeFox

Smash Lord
That's also possible; he was wrong about Square having the very first DLC.

But a part of me heavily doubts the idea that Chief wouldn't be the one used for E3.

If I'm wrong, I'll be wrong, but for my sanity's sake, I'm not going to expect it.

Three of them, iirc. And one of them is Vergeben's, which didn't come true, while another is from ResetEra, which also didn't come true.
I think I heard about this person from ResetEra. Its the one that talks in code, right?

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
It's the case with people who put Tails and Eggman on a pedestal when it comes to the next Sonic rep, even though SEGA themselves doesn't give them the same priority as they did back in the day.
While I do think it is possible Shadow would get picked as the 2nd Sonic rep due to his clearly more abundant popularity, I’m afraid this statement isn’t completely true. Between ‘06 and Forces, Shadow has largely been brushed aside in the mainline games, whereas Tails and Eggman are the only characters to have maintained major roles in every mainline game. I would say that Shadow’s playable appearances give him the edge in some regard, but I would hesitate to say that Tails and Eggman aren’t given priority when it comes to inclusion in games. That being said, I can easily see all 3 making it in. (I’m leaning moreso toward Tails or Shadow but Eggman is possible I suppose.) This is a muddy situation since none of the 3 characters have a clear advantage because their strengths are in different categories, it really depends on which angle Sakurai is looking at.

As for Amy... I feel like Sakurai would sooner elect to not include any Sonic character at all than choose her of all characters tbh, and I’m saying this as someone who is quite fond of Amy.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
His normal moveset has plenty of attacks to fill a Smash moveset and no other VF character uses anything other than regular martial arts so I don't see them having an edge over Akira in that part.

His specials seem kinda obvious to be. Tetsuzankou has to be there and Renkantai would be his up special. Mouko Kouhazan and Byakko Soushouda and/or Kaiko can easily be the rest of his specials. Akira may be unlikely for a lot of reasons but a lack of moveset is not one of them.
Oh I don't mean to claim that Akira is unlikely. It's definitely an assumption due to a lack of context, prior decisions, and the fact that I got hit with "we're adding this other guy instead of the obvious choice (which is the character I actually wanted) because reasons*" three friken times in this pass.

That and I didn't find many moves on his move list that screamed "special move". For example, Tetsunzankou is just a shoulder check without any immediately observable special properties (and there's also a fairly standard looking combo with the same name I think). I think I assumed it would be his Dash Attack or something. I did get some ideas as to how his special moves could work, but it looked like they were all combos off of normal moves so I wasn't really sure how they would handle them.

I suppose you could lean into this and just do the 8-way tilts thing with the Special Move button as well so he has 18 normals; some with special properties, and some without (like, his Special Up Tilt would also double as a recovery move when used in the air or something). Might be a bit overcomplicated though (which is probably why they didn't do it for Kazuya like people kept proposing before his reveal).

In conclusion: I dunno.

*I feel I should clarify that I don't have any animosity toward Kazuya as an inclusion, I just couldn't get excited for his reveal because I had absolutely no idea who he was, unlike Hehachi, who was "the Tekken guy" in my brain. To be fair, my knowledge of Tekken characters is probably kind of weird since I didn't recognize Kazuya, and would have had to get my memory jogged a bit on Jin, but I would have instantly recognized Bob.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Oh I don't mean to claim that Akira is unlikely. It's definitely an assumption due to a lack of context, prior decisions, and the fact that I got hit with "we're adding this other guy instead of the obvious choice (which is the character I actually wanted) because reasons*" three friken times in this pass.

That and I didn't find many moves on his move list that screamed "special move". For example, Tetsunzankou is just a shoulder check without any immediately observable special properties (and there's also a fairly standard looking combo with the same name I think). I think I assumed it would be his Dash Attack or something. I did get some ideas as to how his special moves could work, but it looked like they were all combos off of normal moves so I wasn't really sure how they would handle them.

I suppose you could lean into this and just do the 8-way tilts thing with the Special Move button as well so he has 18 normals; some with special properties, and some without (like, his Special Up Tilt would also double as a recovery move when used in the air or something). Might be a bit overcomplicated though (which is probably why they didn't do it for Kazuya like people kept proposing before his reveal).

In conclusion: I dunno.

*I feel I should clarify that I don't have any animosity toward Kazuya as an inclusion, I just couldn't get excited for his reveal because I had absolutely no idea who he was, unlike Hehachi, who was "the Tekken guy" in my brain. To be fair, my knowledge of Tekken characters is probably kind of weird since I didn't recognize Kazuya, and would have had to get my memory jogged a bit on Jin, but I would have instantly recognized Bob.
You're talking about how Akira doesn't have attacks that aren't immeiately recognizable as Special Moves in the game where Min Min's special moves are literally her normal attacks, most of which are the same punch to begin with.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
You're talking about how Akira doesn't have attacks that aren't immeiately recognizable as Special Moves in the game where Min Min's special moves are literally her normal attacks, most of which are the same punch to begin with.
Eeeeh considering that nobody else has arms that stretch half the length of Final Destination it's more like her normals are Special Moves rather than the other way around.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Yeah, if Kaz is brought back for the next game, hope he gets Jin as an Echo, considering Jin's been my actual Tekken main in every game since 3. Hell, give Terry an echo with Rock. And top it off with Protoman as an echo for Mega Man.

As for the last character of Ultimate, how many people have considered Konami? Bomberman might be out, but who's to say that Metal Gear couldn't have another fighter? Or better yet, a Contra character like Bill or Lance? Though if you wanted to go extra obscure there's also Yugo from Bloody Roar.

I've mostly seen talk about Capcom since Phoenix Wright's been a fairly popular choice for years now, while Dante seemed like an impossibility that mostly picked up with the likes of Cloud being added. And then some more with Bayo, and even more with his older titles re-releasing on Nintendo systems.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Eeeeh considering that nobody else has arms that stretch half the length of Final Destination it's more like her normals are Special Moves rather than the other way around.
And when all your moves are special...

None of them are.

Or at least none of them are when they're all the same "move".

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
And when all your moves are special...

None of them are.

Or at least none of them are when they're all the same "move".
Yeah imma have to hard disagree on that there.

Besides, even if you don't consider Punch to be a Special Move it's still a move with special properties, and she has 3 Special Moves on top of that, all of these things are stuff that Akira seems to lack for the most part when all you have is a surface level look at the move list.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I wonder how Akira would play if they added him.
I only played a couple VF games(namely 1 and 4), so not nearly as knowledgeable about it like I'd be in Tekken(and even then, I only know so much about the highlevel stuff, I can do an EWGF at times, but chaining 2 together is still tricky for me.) VF's probably the most "No-Nonsense" fighting game series. No Fireballs, No Supers, No EX, No Burst, No Krushing Blows, No Ultra Combos, No Rage, No Focus Attacks, No Max Mode.

Just Get Gud or Blame the Beasts.

Some stuff Akira could have.
  • Old VF1 Moon Jumps. I think that'd make him feel unique, as Kaz's normal jump is more like T3 onwards than the moonjumps of Tekken 1 and 2.
  • Tetsuzanko. Big Shoulder Check move is pretty iconic.
  • He has a Jin/Paul style Double Lift Kick, I don't know it's exact name, but it would work as an Up-B.
  • In general, I'd imagine Akira to be the "Defensive" FG guy. Given the nature of VF.
  • Crouching Punch would be as good as it is in VF.
  • He'd also probably a strong leaping attack to let him hit grounded opponents, I think every VF fighter has one in their kit.
  • He'd likely have a few extra grabs.

I do like talking about the specific quirks of each series or character to be implemented. Like I kind of had a feeling Mist Step was gonna be in if they added a Mishima. And that's what we got. Makes me wonder what stuff an MK Ninja could get exactly. Cause I'd think breakers or Aggressor maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom