• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Well, 10 days until Nintendo's E3.

By this point in 10 days, we'll either have an uber leak, debating the validity of some 4chan leak, or biting our nails in anticipation due to no leaks.

Gonna be fun times in just short of a little over a week's time.
On the bright side there's also Ubisoft and SE's presentations to look out for, maybe Rayman fans will be thrown a bone and SE at the very least has very promising titles to showcase

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Anyway I had a smash dream where the next fighter was being introduced by a presenter like "Now presenting the next fighter for Super Smash Bros" and the camera was scrolling up on top of a building but then it went back down like it made a mistake. Then it went through some sliding doors until it was shown, the next character was...

A literal blanket.
hay-mono-wolldecke-130-x-180-cm-fog.jpg

It floats around and slaps people like with Mario's cape. That was all I saw before I was like "Okay this is dumb" and woke up.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Popping down my bingo card for this year's E3. I'm playing with metaphorical fire in some spots this year.
View attachment 317870
This could go one of 552446474061128648601600000 different ways. Let's kick back and see what happens when this 10-day wait is over.
"New waifu revealed, fans go nuts" I'm going to bet that the Legends version of Cynthia will fufill that one.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Anyway I had a smash dream where the next fighter was being introduced by a presenter like "Now presenting the next fighter for Super Smash Bros" and the camera was scrolling up on top of a building but then it went back down like it made a mistake. Then it went through some sliding doors until it was shown, the next character was...

A literal blanket.
View attachment 317872

It floats around and slaps people like with Mario's cape. That was all I saw before I was like "Okay this is dumb" and woke up.
Must've been cold

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
I would find it hella funny if Reimu is announced to be the next character at E3 lol you got the perfect recipe to anger Smash fans AND Nintendo fans lmao
(and then they proceed to announce Master chief or Crash and everyone loses their minds until 1-2 days later when people start complaining they didn't get their favorite character in)
Edit : actually thinking about it I think Lloyd being the next character would bring an even bigger wrath within the smash fanbase lol 3rd anime swordfighter in a row would definitely be something

Last edited:

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
Popping down my bingo card for this year's E3. I'm playing with metaphorical fire in some spots this year.
View attachment 317870
This could go one of 552446474061128648601600000 different ways. Let's kick back and see what happens when this 10-day wait is over.
I live in hope of a new WarioWare, but I can't really see how a straight port of Gold is feasible with how heavily it goes in on the 3DS's control gimmicks. By the time you need to put in work to adapt all that stuff, you'd be better off putting those resources into a new game.

So, at this point is the most likely situation that all of the people who hinted that the Pro was going to be revealed THIS WEEK and retailers who put up preorders can be called out as trying to piggyback off the rumours, and not real sources on this topic?

Shroob

Sup?
I would find it hella funny if Reimu is announced to be the next character at E3 lol you got the perfect recipe to anger Smash fans AND Nintendo fans lmao
(and then they proceed to announce Master chief or Crash and everyone loses their minds until 1-2 days later when people start complaining they didn't get their favorite character in)
Edit : actually thinking about it I think Lloyd being the next character would bring an even bigger wrath within the smash fanbase lol 3rd anime swordfighter in a row would definitely be something
Eh, Lloyd's in an odd spot.

On one hand: anime sword

On the other: Has been requested since Brawl, would be Namco's 2nd character

Dinoman96

Smash Master
In regards to Lloyd, if he actually got in, if anything I'd just be bewildered that he was the one and only costume from Smash 4 to actually be promoted to playable status.

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
For the majority here, only Crash and Master Chief are important enough to be considered big E3 reveals.

And yeah, i'm kinda bored with such obvious predictions.
Yeah, I always try to bring up other suggestions for that reason. I have nothing against Crash and Chief but I feel like everything has already been said about them.
Semi-hot take here, but I think a good chunk of the reason people (not just here, but in every part of general Smash fandom) are so quick to call first-party characters "disappointing" is because there's so few viable candidates left, relatively speaking, and there's not a single one that doesn't feel like they've been discussed to death. Plenty of other reasons too, that's just a prominent one.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

A literal blanket.
View attachment 317872

I think this is proof that there's only so much bull**** the human brain can take from their subconscious before it says "nah, I'm out".

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
In regards to Lloyd, if he actually got in, if anything I'd just be bewildered that he was the one and only costume from Smash 4 to actually be promoted to playable status.
I fail to see the problem. Out of all the choices i think he was agruably the best one, at least in terms of simplicity.

For example, he's nowhere as popular as Heihachi, but his moveset is FAR easier to replicate in a faithful manner (which was Heihachi's downfall) he's more important to the franchise as a whole than Geno was to Mario (sorry fella, still love ya) and was requested more than almost all other New Mii Costumes in Smash Ultimate (barring maybe Isaac) or old costumes that have come back as DLC. (except maybe Geno)

The only other ones i could have seen being promoted were Monster Hunter and Geno, i didn't even saw Heihachi as a candidate.

I mean, promotions are rare and far between. Isaac was absent altogether in Smash 4, and Little Mac was the only one promoted. In Ultimate, only Isabelle and Dark Samus, and to this day Charizard is the only Pokéball summon to become playable.

Semi-hot take here, but I think a good chunk of the reason people (not just here, but in every part of general Smash fandom) are so quick to call first-party characters "disappointing" is because there's so few viable candidates left, relatively speaking, and there's not a single one that doesn't feel like they've been discussed to death. Plenty of other reasons too, that's just a prominent one.
Im pretty sure that is the reason. If im honest most of the Third Party choices left are just as disappointing to me if not more so. I really have no interest in Lara Croft, Reimu (who i don't even consider viable but the rest does) Master Chief, etc. Plus, in the same way Nintendo choices are becoming more c-listers, third party disscussion isn't what it used to be. Character choices are like a totem pole, the more we have to more to the bottom we approach, and when we start talking about obscure PC-only JRPG characters, i think it's pretty telling to say the days of Big Third Party choices of Smash 4 are long past us.

The only difference between First and Third Parties in my opinion, is that people are more willing to talk about them becasue they have been featured more in DLC. If we have gotten JUST a single spirit or AT promotion in FP1, DLC disscussion would have been FAR more interesting for both types of characters and open because a lot more opportunities would be at the table, beyond "Recent Nintendo character", "Token AAA Guest" or "Obscure Guest"

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If we have gotten JUST a single spirit or AT promotion in FP1, DLC disscussion would have been FAR more interesting for both types of characters and open because a lot more opportunities would be at the table, beyond "Recent Nintendo character", "Token AAA Guest" or "Obscure Guest"
I can't help but think if Joker's spot in FP1 was taken by a spirit/AT, things would be a WHOLE lot different for both the Smash and Persona 5 fandoms. Smash fans would be more willing to look beyond those three categories of characters (depending on when the spirit/AT debuted) while Persona 5 fans wouldn't be seen as cringelords who spend more time begging for a Switch port than actually playing the game.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I mean, promotions are rare and far between. Isaac was absent altogether in Smash 4, and Little Mac was the only one promoted. In Ultimate, only Isabelle and Dark Samus, and to this day Charizard is the only Pokéball summon to become playable.
And even then, Little Mac was the only AT promoted character who is fully unique.

xzx

Smash Lord
I feel like these important characters are missing from the roster:

Toad
Paper Mario
Tingle
Dixie Kong
(Bandana) Waddle Dee
Chibi-Robo
Isaac (Golden Sun)
Bomberman

I think we are getting Eggman and Waluigi though as the last two fighters. When I saw that FP2 would have six characters I couldn't help but think why six and who could possibly be making sense as the sixth character. I think the last one is going to be the biggest wildcard ever. It's like Nintendo wanted to make FP2 consist of only five characters but were like "nah hold on, add Waluigi as the sixth character!" ... Not that I want him or anything, but it makes you wonder ya know?

Oh, and calling it now: Sandbag might be the sixth character. (Honestly at this point it could happen lol.) His moveset wouldn't be too hard to create, as he would have a rather straightforward moveset with simple animations. (Like dair being like Piranha Plant's dair for example.)

But eh, anything could happen at this point.

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
I mean, when it comes to AT promotions there's barely more than a dozen first-parties that are actually viable, because all the icons are on the roster already. And in those cases, circumstances just haven't panned out in their favour yet but that could change at any time.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I still feel like K. Rool and Ridley kinda were the last of the mega hype first party characters for most Smash fans. The closest thing left is like...Waluigi.

Most of the rest of the candidates are basically just more obligatory Pokemon/Fire Emblem reps, fourth bananas of already repped series like Bandana Dee, Dixie and Impa, and protagonists/mascots of smaller dead/obscure Nintendo IPs, like Isaac, Ayumi, Dillon, etc. There's also Ring Fit Adventure, but that's clearly not happening for this game.

I'm not saying that these are all bad choices, necessarily. I just think it's not that hard to see why people feel there's not a whole lot of super exciting choices from Nintendo left, especially in an era where we can now get wild third party guests like Cloud, Joker and Steve.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Hmmmm, I've been thinking a Gen 8 starter Pokemon, but after your comment, I'm not so sure anymore.

I guess the only Ninty shill picks I could think of are Ayumi and King Boo, though for some reason they don't really bother me that much (maybe I'm just being a hypocrite?). :drshrug:

Edit: Then again, my only problems with another Pokemon rep are another lame-old starter.
There’s always another long overdue Zelda rep to consider. Imma would make a great rep

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Speaking of Reimu

Guess I'm officially a Touhou fan now, this looks godlike
Question: how would you guys feel if Rayman took Steve's place as CP7?
The thing with these kinds of questions about if one was replaced is that they seem to lack nuance, I'd have thought "Neat!" At Rayman in any situation but as we know how Steve works in Smash and the content he provided, I'm not willing to give that up, so I'd be upset at this change

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
The thing with these kinds of questions about if one was replaced is that they seem to lack nuance, I'd have thought "Neat!" At Rayman in any situation but as we know how Steve works in Smash and the content he provided, I'm not willing to give that up, so I'd be upset at this change
Yeah, I'm gotta agree with you on this one.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Welp, time to bring in the memes:

View attachment 317879

(Zelda is just there to support them)
Meanwhile Ness, Captain Falcon, and Issac all have their own little room with a desk, a camera, one lightbulb, and all the other things you’d find in an abandoned janitor’s closet. Maybe Pit’s there too.

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Also could you send the link to that exact tier list maker? It has some characters that I'd like to use to make a DLC tier list of my own.

Technomage

Smash Champion
There’s always another long overdue Zelda rep to consider. Imma would make a great rep
Yeah, I totally forgot about another Zelda rep at the time, especially a BotW2 rep. I'll be honest, I wouldn't be mad if the latter were to be added (even if it's either Wild Zelda or Mummydorf), since, even if you ignore the fact there are multiple incarnations of the Triforce Trio, the Zelda series still feels somewhat shafted, such as not having a newcomer for 2 games and half of the characters being clones (whether full or semi).

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Question: how would you guys feel if Rayman took Steve's place as CP7?
Pretty disappointed, as Steve was in my top 5 since pre-release speculation.

That announcement is probably tied with Sephiroth for how excited I got. I wouldn't trade him for any other character, TBH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom