• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I find what makes the topic of discussing characters particularly annoying for me is when the term "iconic" is used. Problem is though is that when it's used it's using the North American centered idea of the word.

Basically like with Dragon Quest. There's been people against it because it's considered "Niche" outside Japan, while in Japan it's the most iconic game series alongside Mario & Pokemon. Or Terry, where he's considered iconic in Latin America.

Last edited:

SirCamp

Smash Ace
If we get a character from another platform fighter, that'd be awesome

Rivals of Aether characters are there, too
I would unironically love this. We don’t have many fighters that use water (compared to say fire lol), would be another quadrupedal fighter which is neat, would get us an indie character, and it would be kind of fitting in sort of representing the impact that smash itself has had on gaming. Kind of meta in that sense.

And of course it would give some attention to a great game!

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Like kratos or some crazy crossover like that
And the Sony talk continues lmao

Actually I wanna say something that might unfortunately truly lay out a shaky relationship between Sony and Nintendo, but this time, on Nintendo's part.

Nintendo Switch launches:
Playstation account tweets this

But when the Ps5 launched, NOT the Nintendo twitter but JUST Doug Bowser, tweeted a similar remark:

I may be reaching ( I can see you typing that I am:4pacman:) but this MIGHT be a sign, alongside Sony's being known for not liking cross play.

One day, things ought to change, I can feel it. Or at least hope it will loll

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The whole "Zelda got 4 newcomers in Melee" stuck out to me; I wonder if people would be less upset about the drought of Zelda newcomers if they were stretched out over the series more?
Very little if at all considering the only real change likely would've been getting Ganondorf in Brawl instead of Melee.

The only time Sheik would've been added is when we got her, and as per the conceit of the character, Zelda had to come too. Then we got Young Link due to roster padding. Brawl wasn't going to come and go without Ganondorf if he already popular enough to be getting noticed for Melee, and given the handheld Zeldas tend to get less representation than the console ones, I'm given to think Brawl was make or break for TL.

But if hypothetically if there was a more even spread, yeah, there would be less dissent. Not none though, because Zelda is still at the point where it's starting to look underrepresented, half of the characters aren't original, there are three Links, and all characters stem from one of the triforce three.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I would unironically love this. We don’t have many fighters that use water (compared to say fire lol), would be another quadrupedal fighter which is neat, would get us an indie character, and it would be kind of fitting in sort of representing the impact that smash itself has had on gaming. Kind of meta in that sense.

And of course it would give some attention to a great game!
Did someone say..
water?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So for those who are expecting something more low key, who do you think we’ll get? Who would you like to see from a smaller series? I’ve already mentioned my favorites enough times so I won’t bore everyone with talking about them too much but pretty much all of them would be viewed that way by the general public.
I've found it hard to actively try to be right anymore, so I'm just gonna push Adol and Reimu and hope for the best. Maybe Lloyd (Or Yuri or Velvet), but Tales is in a sort of in-between and if we were a Japanese-speaking forum I'd imagine they'd be placed up there with the big guys more often than not.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The same could be said for some people still hoping for an AT character to be DLC, I'd say.
Bruh.

Let people like things.

You're not arguing the merits of a possibility at this point.

You're just throwing shade.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Very little if at all considering the only real change likely would've been getting Ganondorf in Brawl instead of Melee.

The only time Sheik would've been added is when we got her, and as per the conceit of the character, Zelda had to come too. Then we got Young Link due to roster padding. Brawl wasn't going to come and go without Ganondorf if he already popular enough to be getting noticed for Melee, and given the handheld Zeldas tend to get less representation than the console ones, I'm given to think Brawl was make or break for TL.

But if hypothetically if there was a more even spread, yeah, there would be less dissent. Not none though, because Zelda is still at the point where it's starting to look underrepresented, half of the characters aren't original, there are three Links, and all characters stem from one of the triforce three.
Tingle will save Zelda in smash.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Ok first, let me ask, do y'all think the SNK copyright situation was on purpose or by accident?
Cuz if it was on purpose, Nintendo COULD do it again with another low-key company like Falcom.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The same could be said for some people still hoping for an AT character to be DLC, I'd say.
...Or maybe they're just optimistic towards ATs? Whenever people bring up AT promos, there's never any impression of "I just want to be right." Heck, I'd argue it's the opposite, what with how much pushback you'd get for suggesting such an idea.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Ok first, let me ask, do y'all think the SNK copyright situation was on purpose or by accident?
Cuz if it was on purpose, Nintendo COULD do it again with another low-key company like Falcom.
100 % on accident: since it was uploaded a day or so before the showing, it's not been repeated since and it was only NoE where it happened, not NoA, NoJ or elsewhere.

And, even though it's kinda late my E3 predictions as to how big the E3 character(s) will be:

¯\(ツ)

There are at least 20-50 characters / IPs regularily discussed in this thread. And one of those actually shown at a E3 would probably not have been commonly discussed if it wasn't for "brave". Plus there's also a lot of less talked about characters that could be in the show.

It's extremely difficult to tell how big or small things will be.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The latter just gives the impression that some people care far more about being right than they do the actual characters tbh.
Wouldn't people still hoping for an AT character be the opposite of this? No one is hoping for an AT character for the sake of being right. If someone is still hoping for any of the AT characters, it's clearly because they like that character.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Accidental.

Intentional leaks aren't immediately covered up like that.

Moreover, a leak like that could get parties in legal trouble.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Sheen, this is the 7th 8th week in a row you've said Assist Trophies can't be promoted in class.

I dunno if quote only posts are allowed (or if edited quotes count as substance), so bottom text I guess.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
...Or maybe they're just optimistic towards ATs? Whenever people bring up AT promos, there's never any impression of "I just want to be right." heck, I'd argue it's the opposite, what with how much pushback you'd get for suggesting such an idea.
The irony is the only real pushback is from Perk themselves, sometimes a couple others who don't argue the case at all
Most others are like "I mean I doubt it but it'd be neat"

Accidental.

Intentional leaks aren't immediately covered up like that.

Moreover, a leak like that could get parties in legal trouble.
An intentional leak is a good way to lose jobs and partnerships

Or it's just Ubisoft leaking their own stuff to drum up fake hype for one of their events :4pacman:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The irony is the only real pushback is from Perk themselves, sometimes a couple others who don't argue the case at all
Most others are like "I mean I doubt it but it'd be neat"
Pushback to the likelihood, I meant. I agree that there doesn't seem to be many people who actively dislike the idea of it happening, but not many people see it actually happening and it doesn't seem like something you'd invest in because "You only care about being right" like he suggested.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Pushback to the likelihood, I meant. I agree that there doesn't seem to be many people who actively dislike the idea of it happening, but not many people see it actually happening and it doesn't seem like something you'd invest in because "You only care about being right" like he suggested.
This is also kinda what I'm getting at.
Even people pushing for it don't really see it as likely so there isn't really any pushback in that regard, at least that's the read I get.

MaplePie

Smash Cadet
Speaking about AT being promoted into playable fighters, what about a former boss being promoted as well?

Technomage

Smash Champion
Speaking about AT being promoted into playable fighters, what about a former boss being promoted as well?
We already got that in the form of Ridley. Now promoting bosses currently in the game, that's not something we have. The best bets in my opinion would be Dracula, Marx, Ganon (even if a different incarnation of Ganon), and Metal Face (even if only as Mumkhar).

Edit: On the other hand (no pun intended, by the way), we already have that in the form of that Master Hand battle (though we still should have a mode that lets us do that whenever we want, even if it has to be unlocked first).

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I think besides Master Hand, Porky and maybe Marx, the other bosses would either stay as bosses or be behind a bunch of other characters. Like Castlevania has a whole lot of popular characters that would more likely be picked before Dracula, like Alucard, Shanoa, Soma, Trevor Belmont, Maria, Julius Belmont, etc. Some of the other Xenoblade characters would be more likely picked before Metal Face aka Mumkhar. And obviously, some of the other bosses will stay as bosses, like Yellow Devil, Galleom, Rathalos, Rayquaza, etc.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I think besides Master Hand, Porky and maybe Marx, the other bosses would either stay as bosses or be behind a bunch of other characters. Like Castlevania has a whole lot of popular characters that would more likely be picked before Dracula, like Alucard, Shanoa, Soma, Trevor Belmont, Maria, Julius Belmont, etc. Some of the other Xenoblade characters would be more likely picked before Metal Face aka Mumkhar. And obviously, some of the other bosses will stay as bosses, like Yellow Devil, Galleom, Rathalos, Rayquaza, etc.
Before Dracula
Soma
I mean...

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I find what makes the topic of discussing characters particularly annoying for me is when the term "iconic" is used. Problem is though is that when it's used it's using North American centered idea of the word.

Basically like with Dragon Quest. There's been people against it because it's considered "Niche" outside Japan, while in Japan it's the most iconic game series alongside Mario & Pokemon. Or Terry, where he's iconic in Latin America.
I’ll admit that I only ever use the word iconic to defend a character I would have wanted anyway. I think I’ve used that to argue why Warcraft deserves to be in Smash but the truth is I mostly just want Illidan because I think he’s cool. Being iconic helps but I don’t really care about it much myself. I want Zegram even more than him and I don’t think I could ever describe him as iconic.

MaplePie

Smash Cadet
The most requested characters' "evidence" are basically,
"They're so iconic."
"Nintendo would make the big bucks."
"Nintendo would be stupid not to add them."
"They're popular in both Japan and the West."

I'll admit my most wanted character is niche even though he's a first party, and would be somewhat controversial.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
If Byleth was any indication, Nintendo IS pretty stupid sometimes.
Eh, in what way exactly?

Byleth wasn't the most popular DLC character, but as of right now, all the first party DLC characeters have been Switch-era characters, and Fire Emblem had yet to get a full-blown, non-echo newcomer this game.

I know "8 Fire Emblem!" is the big thing, but that's also due in part to "EVERYONE IS HERE!".

As for the backlash..... it's honestly overblown. A lot of people look at the YouTube like/dislike ratio, but the dislike bar is literally less than 1% of Ultimate's total sales.

Now granted, not everyone bought the DLC, so that number ends up being bigger than 1%, but it's still frankly paltry to the amount of people who probably didn't say anything at all.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
No new POTD for tonight but another reminder of the tournament.

"2021 Online Challenge Round 1" starts at 19:00 tonight! Enjoy a serious game without items, 1on1 on the stage of 10 additional stages. #Smash Bros SP

Which was first announced here.

"2021 Online Challenge Round 1" will be held from 19:00 on June 5th this weekend. The rule is "additional stage" x "no item". #Smash Bros SP It is a serious 1on1 game set in 10 different stages that were added after the release. Please enjoy the battle while seeing the scenery related to the new fighter.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
The most requested characters' "evidence" are basically,
"They're so iconic."
"Nintendo would make the big bucks."
"Nintendo would be stupid not to add them."
"They're popular in both Japan and the West."

I'll admit my most wanted character is niche even though he's a first party, and would be somewhat controversial.
I wouldn't necessarily say that's all that people argue in favor of the popular characters, but there's certainly a decent chunk of the fandom that won't look much further than those statements.

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
I got to thinking about the difference between "iconic" and "important" (think it's a key distinction to make), and I hit upon a big example of something that is technically important but pretty much forgotten nowadays:

Ultima. A big influence on early RPGs (particularly on the PC) and, through Ultima Online, early MMOs.

What do you think the reaction would be if Ultima's protagonist, the Avatar, made it in?

Shroob

Sup?
I got to thinking about the difference between "iconic" and "important" (think it's a key distinction to make), and I hit upon a big example of something that is technically important but pretty much forgotten nowadays:

Ultima. A big influence on early RPGs (particularly on the PC) and, through Ultima Online, early MMOs.

What do you think the reaction would be if Ultima's protagonist, the Avatar, made it in?
Surprised it's not World of Warcraft/10.

WoW made MMOs mainstream, so that'd honestly be surprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom