• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
For the majority here, only Crash and Master Chief are important enough to be considered big E3 reveals.

And yeah, i'm kinda bored with such obvious predictions.
Yeah, I always try to bring up other suggestions for that reason. I have nothing against Crash and Chief but I feel like everything has already been said about them.

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
I unironically think king boo could be revealed at e3 because LM3 was

inb4 a random pick like birdo or tingle

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I'd love Tingle to get in. It helps he's had his own games, heh.

I don't really think it'll happen, but he's one of my three main picks for the Zelda franchise. Ignoring potential echoes/clones for old movesets, anyway.
Extra points if he's treated as if he's from his own universe, a la Donkey Kong, Yoshi, and Wario.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Extra points if he's treated as if he's from his own universe, a la Donkey Kong, Yoshi, and Wario.
DK is his own universe(in fact, Mario originated from the DK universe anyway).

It's more WarioWare has no connections to Mario like Wario Land does, so that was pretty easy to see coming if they're using that design of him. Wario Land Wario is still from the regular Super Mario Universe(as Wario Land is a continuation of Mario Land as is). That said, Yoshi pretty much is lucky to have his own Universe. Though at least it has a lot of stages, but seriously, it's barely treated as one. He wasn't even properly separated in 4's Character Select Screen. If Yoshi's Story wasn't a game at the time, he'd have the Mushroom Symbol, probably.

Tingle actually separated himself via his own games way more than Yoshi ever did. He's much more like DK and Wario nowadays, but this also might relate to the whole factor of different universes. As there's also two Tingles. If I remember right, the one in MM is unrelated to the Toon one, the one from Rupeeland(who eventually travels to Hyrule. This is why he's so greedy. It's part of his culture. He's still an awful character in WW, but after that, he's significantly better. Even though he's only there to collect Force Gems in the FS games, he's funnier in comparison and doesn't do anything outright wrong. Not saying he's a greatly designed character in FS, though. Minish Cap, imo, saved him. He's now, with his brothers, a very helpful person, just like he was meant to be in MM. Sadly, he got retired for future games after that. Last thing he was in after MC was HW, a very good showing, mind you).

Last edited:

SirCamp

Smash Ace
So for those who are expecting something more low key, who do you think we’ll get? Who would you like to see from a smaller series? I’ve already mentioned my favorites enough times so I won’t bore everyone with talking about them too much but pretty much all of them would be viewed that way by the general public.
I'm not really expecting anything lol. We're all just taking shots in the dark when making predictions. But it would not surprise me if one or both of the next characters are more low key than some are expecting. Just because Nintendo has done it before. They could very well finish strong instead and, frankly, that wouldn't surprise me either. I just don't think either case is a given.

So you wanna know who I think are lower key characters that have a chance, if that is indeed what happens come E3?

Well, y'all already know how I feel about Farmer Pete! :banjohere: lol

FarmerPete.png

I think most 1st party characters could fit the bill as well. A character like Dixie or Bandana Dee would be popular, but to the greater more casual audience wouldn't be mind blowing I don't think. Or even if by some miracle we got someone like Isaac, core Smash fans might be super hype just because he has been requested so long, but there would be a pretty stark divide between them (or should I say us lol) and everyone else going who? Because frankly, it's been a while since Golden Sun has been mainstream. Also, I'd be pretty hype for Tingle myself, but I imagine he would not just get a mild reception, but a negative one. lol

As for other 3rd party characters, I mentioned Samurai Shodown earlier. Someone like Arle would be pretty lowkey, in the West at least. Perhaps a Disgaea character? Or Axel Stone from Streets of Rage. Actually, I think a lot of older less currently relevant characters might fit that category, and we know how Sakurai likes to add them, so who knows? A character from Dynasty Warriors would make quite a bit of sense to me as well, but I doubt it would knock most people's socks off in terms of hype. Again more of a Western reception thing, but a Phantasy Star Online II character would also probably be pretty lowkey, while also not being all that wild of a pick.

Also, I'd love to say Goemon from Mystical Ninja, but the timing of his Mii costume suggests he would be off the table for fighters pass 2.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I got to thinking about the difference between "iconic" and "important" (think it's a key distinction to make), and I hit upon a big example of something that is technically important but pretty much forgotten nowadays:

Ultima. A big influence on early RPGs (particularly on the PC) and, through Ultima Online, early MMOs.

What do you think the reaction would be if Ultima's protagonist, the Avatar, made it in?
"I feel as though a million voices just cried out "Literal WHO?!""

I'd be absolutely shocked, but also pleased.

WoW made MMOs mainstream, so that'd honestly be surprising.
It's influence though reaches much further back than just MMOs with Ultima Online.

The original Ultima is one of the first video game RPGs...ever. Older even than Wizardry, the game that inspired Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy.

Hell, Ultima 4 was even a relatively popular NES RPG.

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
For the majority here, only Crash and Master Chief are important enough to be considered big E3 reveals.

I agree. Which is kind of upsetting in a sense. Like yeah, they’d be huge, but so would Sora or Dr. Eggman (Who I’ve started to invest a lot of stock in as of late.) Each huge in their own right.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
it 100% certainly won't happen but a GTA rep and Kratos certainly would arguably be as big as Crash, Chief, Sora and Eggman as well.

Arguably Waluigi as well.

Last edited:

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord

That's probably true for this month, but just you watch once the fighters are actually released or we just get their dedicated presentations people are gonna go full zero hindsight and start talking about how important their addition to the game is.

This isn't bad btw, every addition to Smash is important.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Out of ALL the trailers you could have tried to do this attempt at a joke for and you use one that was from a SMASH Direct using a shot that would have made it clear by then that it was a Smash trailer. You could have at least put effort in by using a trailer that didn't make it clear from the getgo it was about Smash like Joker, Isabelle or Pythra
I actually wanted to use the Pyra/Mythra one but I was busy and wasn't able to find what I needed or take the extra time to gather it myself.

Regardless, it works as a joke in multiple forms, both in pure positive light of the hype of the community as well as making fun of how everything has to be about Smash somehow. It's fine to be critical, but my goodness, kinda crazy how a post literally just meant to make people chuckle has to be taken so seriously. I think that says a lot about the thread, but then again I already knew about the atmosphere here.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
More importantly, I really think this E3 is really something to get excited about.

I mean, 40 mins of announcements, 3 hours of Treehouse Live which will be for new games, all the pushed back announcements from last E3 and from the pandemic as a whole? I wouldn't be surprised if we get at least 10 absolutely huge announcements if not more, and outside of Smash even.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I got to thinking about the difference between "iconic" and "important" (think it's a key distinction to make), and I hit upon a big example of something that is technically important but pretty much forgotten nowadays:

Ultima. A big influence on early RPGs (particularly on the PC) and, through Ultima Online, early MMOs.

What do you think the reaction would be if Ultima's protagonist, the Avatar, made it in?
I'd imagine they'd be a bit like Terry; First, "Who the %$#@?", before going "Oh wow this guy's big."

That being said, I'd imagine there'd be a bit of distaste for A: Being an RPG character, and B: Being an avatar character in the most literal form. Though, I dunno how define their character is beyond not knowing what a paladin is, so I dunno how if those avatar complaints would have much weight.

Shroob

Sup?
I actually wanted to use the Pyra/Mythra one but I was busy and wasn't able to find what I needed or take the extra time to gather it myself.

Regardless, it works as a joke in multiple forms, both in pure positive light of the hype of the community as well as making fun of how everything has to be about Smash somehow. It's fine to be critical, but my goodness, kinda crazy how a post literally just meant to make people chuckle has to be taken so seriously. I think that says a lot about the thread, but then again I already knew about the atmosphere here.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
More importantly, I really think this E3 is really something to get excited about.

I mean, 40 mins of announcements, 3 hours of Treehouse Live which will be for new games, all the pushed back announcements from last E3 and from the pandemic as a whole? I wouldn't be surprised if we get at least 10 absolutely huge announcements if not more, and outside of Smash even.
It's also the first E3 since el-covidrino hit.

I'm not gonna put my hopes way, WAY high, considering the last Direct was a bit of a "Eh" to me, but we're almost guaranteed to have BotW2 news and Smash, and maybe the rumored DK and Kirby things, which would all be exciting news to see. Not even to suggest stuff like SMTV which is basically confirmed due to a leaked release date, Splatoon 3 news maybe, maybe MP4/Bayo 3, etc.

Nintendo's E3 is looking to be very juicy and interesting.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
beyond not knowing what a paladin is,
SharkLord you're a baby please don't tell me you know of jokes from a youtuber who hasn't been popular in like a decade, you're making me feel old
It's also the first E3 since el-covidrino hit.

I'm not gonna put my hopes way, WAY high, considering the last Direct was a bit of a "Eh" to me, but we're almost guaranteed to have BotW2 news and Smash, and maybe the rumored DK and Kirby things, which would all be exciting news to see. Not even to suggest stuff like SMTV which is basically confirmed due to a leaked release date, Splatoon 3 news maybe, maybe MP4/Bayo 3, etc.

Nintendo's E3 is looking to be very juicy and interesting.
Yeah, we're gonna get a 20 minute swgment on Splatoon 3 and spend 10 minutes on Sticker Star HD

Shroob

Sup?
SharkLord you're a baby please don't tell me you know of jokes from a youtuber who hasn't been popular in like a decade, you're making me feel old

Yeah, we're gonna get a 20 minute swgment on Splatoon 3 and spend 10 minutes on Sticker Star HD
I do wonder what their thought process behind Splatoon 3 is though.

To me, out of EVERYTHING Nintendo's done as of late, this is just ???????????

"So, we're gonna make a sequel to Splatoon."

"We already did that though, AND it has an expansion pass!"

"Don't care. Make another."

"But it'll cannibalize Splatoon 2's playerbase!"

"Don't care, make another!"

This some modern shooter stuff here.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
If it's any help I only know this because I was surfing TV Tropes one day and have no idea which YouTuber you're referring to so you can probably leave a couple years out of the rapid aging

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

the Avatar
I’m sorry, I know Ultima came first, but I just can’t help but think of this.

1622874366122.png

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
If it's any help I only know this because I was surfing TV Tropes one day and have no idea which YouTuber you're referring to so you can probably leave a couple years out of the rapid aging
This means the joke is more wellknown these days than TheSpoonyOne and oh my god this is not helping
I’m sorry, I know Ultima came first, but I just can’t help but think of this.

View attachment 317866
Sakurai will add this character and people will argue whether or not Aang counts as an anime character

Shroob

Sup?
This means the joke is more wellknown these days than TheSpoonyOne and oh my god this is not helping

Sakurai will add this character and people will argue whether or not Aang counts as an anime character
Oh, I remember him. Didn't he like, drop off the face of the internet?

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I'm trying to think of what Noah has been doing for the past decade and I can't seem to remember lmao. Dude really peaked at his Ultima retrospective and then just stopped being relevant. At least James is still strutting on, he outlived a lot of the people he inspired.

Shroob

Sup?
Well, 10 days until Nintendo's E3.

By this point in 10 days, we'll either have an uber leak, debating the validity of some 4chan leak, or biting our nails in anticipation due to no leaks.

Gonna be fun times in just short of a little over a week's time.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I missed the Assist Trophy discussion (again), But All I will say is that I wouldn't be predicting Shadow as one of the last 2 characters, If I just wanted him. I also try to get right guesses for Fighter. I want Goku also, but I know he's officially Deconfirmed, so I don't predict Goku. I know when to quit

I tend to see that characters with the most amount of Pros, along with the least amount of Cons tend to get predicted the most

I guess Chief does have the whole thing about more than one Microsoft character in the same pass, but I think people just overlook that because it's Master Chief. Crash in particular doesn't really have any flaws on the SURFACE that people bring up.

I will say that all of the characters that we've gotten in FP1 and FP2 all had some perceived obvious cons before they actually got revealed. I think without taking into account Leaks, Pyra/Mythra and Maybe Steve were the only characters that weren't perceived to have obvious cons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom