• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
This whole voice actor thing is dumb. Nintendo is not going to pass on a character they wanted to add just because of that. I think a Pokemon has a 0% chance, but if they wanted to add Cinderace there is nothing stopping them from doing extra voice acting they didn't do for other characters.

Technomage

Smash Champion
This whole voice actor thing is dumb. Nintendo is not going to pass on a character they wanted to add just because of that. I think a Pokemon has a 0% chance, but if they wanted to add Cinderace there is nothing stopping them from doing extra voice acting they didn't do for other characters.
Well, since the announcer and crowd cheer things have been decided on at the very beginning of the game, I'd think that the VA thing is more of a hint than a restriction (as in just a coincidence that the FP2 characters didn't have European voice actors).

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I think the theory's the other way around; The extra VAs aren't in the files, which implies they either didn't add a character who would need the multiple VAs in the first place or they'll implement some sort of workaround.

At least, that's how I think it goes. I'm mostly being a bystander who's taking notes here, so I'm not 100% sure on what it is :drshrug:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
you're looking at it backwards. You're thinking Nintendo chose the characters based on the voice actors, and didn't add characters based upon that. In reality, they chose the characters, and obviously didn't contact voice actors they didn't need. We're just seeing the end result without the start, like if they did 2+2 in the shadows and publicly revealed 4.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Well, since the announcer and crowd cheer things have been decided on at the very beginning of the game, I'd think that the VA thing is more of a hint than a restriction (as in just a coincidence that the FP2 characters didn't have European voice actors).
I think the theory's the other way around; The extra VAs aren't in the files, which implies they either didn't add a character who would need the multiple VAs in the first place or they'll implement some sort of workaround.

At least, that's how I think it goes. I'm mostly being a bystander who's taking notes here, so I'm not 100% sure on what it is :drshrug:
you're looking at it backwards. You're thinking Nintendo chose the characters based on the voice actors, and didn't add characters based upon that. In reality, they chose the characters, and obviously didn't contact voice actors they didn't need. We're just seeing the end result without the start, like if they did 2+2 in the shadows and publicly revealed 4.
I'm not looking at it backwards. Maybe I just worded it poorly. The problem with the theory is that we only have the files for characters already released. If this was a datamine it might be different, but just because the first 4 characters didn't have extra voice acting doesn't mean the next one can't if that's required. If Cinderace is the next character then it will just be the case that they only brought in European voice actors for one character. There is no rule saying that because they didn't do it for the last 4 they can't for the next one.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Regardless of who the next two characters are, I don't think the VA thing should be used to prematurely rule out characters. The whole thing isn't the most solid indicator of who can and can't get in. There's too many ways they could work around this, and that's assuming F10 and F11 will even limit the VAs like the rest of the pass has.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Regardless of who the next two characters are, I don't think the VA thing should be used to prematurely rule out characters. The whole thing isn't the most solid indicator of who can and can't get in. There's too many ways they could work around this, and that's assuming F10 and F11 will even limit the VAs like the rest of the pass has.
Yeah, I'm starting to think they could even reuse European voice clips for Pokemon characters, from the games to the anime.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So apparently, the new Getsu Fuma Den isn't just an action platformer, or a metrovania.

It's a roguelike. Like Dead Cells.

This isn't related to Smash (unless you account for Melee being a Gamecube game), but I wanted to share this:

I feel old...
Looking forward to those episodes though.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Yeah, I'm starting to think they could even reuse voice clips for Pokemon characters, from the games to the anime.
Well, not just that, but not all Pokémon speak their name. Some might just grunt and make other various noises.

Even with crowd cheers, it's not a requirement to state the character's name. They could easily work around that by recording something generic that could work in multiple regions.

Reasons like these are why I don't think this should be taken too seriously when it comes to the final two characters. There are ways to work around it if need be.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

ZelDan

Smash Master
I'm still a bit lost on this voice clip/crowd chant speculation going on, but as long as Isaac isn't dead because of it and still living (assuming ATs are on the table for FP2 of course) then that's all I really need to know.

Knowing a pokemon isn't happening would be the cherry on top for me as well assuming all this stuff is true since there isn't a single pokemon I want playable, and Pokemon has quite enough reps as is.

Shroob

Sup?
Truth be told, I never even knew Greninja was saying its name for the longest time.

Like, it's obvious, it's a Pokemon, that's what it does.

But Greninja's voice is soo weird sounding I thought it was just making weird grunts.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I mentioned awhile back that I was looking into making PMEX character demonstration videos. I decided to go ahead with it, and did three. If anyone can guess what three characters I did, you get a warm feeling inside. Here's the roster.

now, time to go to bed.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Truth be told, I never even knew Greninja was saying its name for the longest time.

Like, it's obvious, it's a Pokemon, that's what it does.

But Greninja's voice is soo weird sounding I thought it was just making weird grunts.
You never paid attention to how those weird grunts sounded like "Gre", "Nin", and "Ja"?

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
You never paid attention to how those weird grunts sounded like "Gre", "Nin", and "Ja"?
In French, it's more apparent with "Amphinobi". Incineroar too with Félinferno.
Wonder why they decided to go with the anime voice actors instead of using the generic sounds from the games. That would have make voice acting much easier.
Or it's a GameFreak request. I recall Sakurai receiving a request to change Wii Fit Trainer's face too.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Not related to Smash but for anyone interested in E3 in general:

So what he's trying to say is:

EwnPG_8WQAYCOIO.jpg

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
This tweet may be vulgar (in other words, swear warning), but it goes into much better detail covering whether or not the idea that Smash fans can't get anything right is true than, you know, "lol you thought we wouldn't get arms or sephiroth so you're Captain Wrongface, Commander of the S.S. Neveright". Only two problems I see are that he didn't mention people cynically expecting a 3H rep/for it to be Edelgard, and the wording makes it seem like he expected Rex fans to want to switch between him and Pyra, rather than have them be an Ice Climbers thing.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I wonder how many people aren't aware that Charizard says its name just because it's so deep and hard to understand.

Jokes aside, they're weird about which Pokémon say their names and which ones...don't. Lucario and Japanese Mewtwo talk while Charizard does weird grunting.

Honestly, they don't even need an English VA to make this work, let alone European VAs. If they're THIS concerned about being cheap, they can think of something.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
In French, it's more apparent with "Amphinobi". Incineroar too with Félinferno.
Wonder why they decided to go with the anime voice actors instead of using the generic sounds from the games. That would have make voice acting much easier.
Or it's a GameFreak request. I recall Sakurai receiving a request to change Wii Fit Trainer's face too.
I feel that comes down to how prominent and influential the anime has been to Pokemon, especially during the time Smash 64 came out. The anime was a huge part of advertising back then and even people who knew little of the franchise had probably heard of Ash and Pikachu. Hell, it was so big that Pokemon Yellow was made to cater to fans of the anime, and that game sold over 14 million. Looking at that influence I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai felt that the anime's interpretation of the Pokemon were too ingrained in the public mind to ignore and used their more popular and well known personalities as a result.

It did probably lead to some headaches for localizations as some Pokemon require multiple dubs, but hindsight is 20/20 and I'm pretty sure Sakurai and his team didn't think that the Smash franchise would get big enough for that to be a concern.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
It's super dumb,
So here's a theory/argument against a new Pokemon that I've seen going rounds:

View attachment 315296

The gist of it is that there's evidence that they did not bring in European teams for recording new lines for the FP2 characters, unlike the base game characters and even FP1. Which would potentially rule out characters that necessitate French/German/etc voice clips, like a new Pokemon (i.e Cinderace is called "Pyrobut" in French)

What do we make of this?
What do I make of this?
It's moronic.
The reason they've done this is almost certainly because of the Pandemic, and character were chosen before anyone even knew COVID 19 existed. You're not going to cancel a DLC fighter just because you can't record people chanting their name in French, German, Italian and Spanish. I don't think a Pokemon is happening, but this is the standard attempt at "reality manipulation" from the Smash community, a shared delusion that if you come up with enouh crackpot theories as to why something is/isn't happening, then that in itself will cause it to happen/not happen.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Should all those third parties have waited until they could make an AT to go along with their fighters, then?
No because they're not Pokemon. No other series in Smash Bros has an item like the pokeball summon. It's clearly very important that each NEW generation gets represented by a NEW Pokemon and a NEW set of Pokeball summons.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
It's super dumb,

What do I make of this?
It's moronic.
The reason they've done this is almost certainly because of the Pandemic, and character were chosen before anyone even knew COVID 19 existed. You're not going to cancel a DLC fighter just because you can't record people chanting their name in French, German, Italian and Spanish. I don't think a Pokemon is happening, but this is the standard attempt at "reality manipulation" from the Smash community, a shared delusion that if you come up with enouh crackpot theories as to why something is/isn't happening, then that in itself will cause it to happen/not happen.
You can always argue everything is reality manipulation. Spirit events disconfirming a character is also a theory that people believe in. All third-party costumes coming back is also a theory that people believe in. And people believing that a Fire Emblem character from Three Houses would definitely happen at some point since there was no spirit event was also a theory. Or a company not getting two characters in the same pass.

Thing is, it's speculation. That's how it has been for years. People make more or less believable theories, notice stuff and make conclusions based on that. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. But throwing every single theory or reasoning in the trash because it's, as it is, a theory, is moronic when that's the whole point of speculation. Because if no one explains why they believe X or Y is or not happening, you might as well have no discussion and simply say "I want X or Y". Basically turning it into a 4chan smash thread.

Shroob

Sup?
but this is the standard attempt at "reality manipulation" from the Smash community, a shared delusion that if you come up with enouh crackpot theories as to why something is/isn't happening, then that in itself will cause it to happen/not happen.
I mean

Yeah, the Smash fanbase has given its fair share of dumb theories, but that's what speculation is, a bunch of dumb theories that people toss around for fun. Who cares if they're right or wrong really, it's just fun to do.

Like, without speculation and theories, what exactly are we left with?

"I like X character!"
"Yeah, X character is cool."
"What about Y character?"
"Nah, Y sucks."

That sounds like a boring as hell time tbh.

Sure, people who impose theories as facts suck, but a theory is just that, a theory, it's not a rule.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
This isn't related to Smash (unless you account for Melee being a Gamecube game), but I wanted to share this:

I feel old...
The show is just shy of being on the air for two decades, but Season 1 of the Game Center CX had advertisements for a lot of the games on those systems (also Xbox). Arino was regularly video taped trading Pokemon with various game creators/kids using Link Cables. If you watch the show in order it's rather funny to see how technology has progressed since it started airing (and yes, for Smash fans, Sakurai himself has gotten multiple references).

I'll be curious to see if this helps bring a resurgence of interest in the show; I think they announced that they were doing the first Phoenix Wright game as a DVD bonus challenge last year. Pikmin is probably the big game I'd want to see Arino tackle with this news, it's a game that perfectly fits his humor and strengths as a gamer, but Melee might now be viable as well given Adventure/All Star/Event modes.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I wonder how many people aren't aware that Charizard says its name just because it's so deep and hard to understand.

Jokes aside, they're weird about which Pokémon say their names and which ones...don't. Lucario and Japanese Mewtwo talk while Charizard does weird grunting.

Honestly, they don't even need an English VA to make this work, let alone European VAs. If they're THIS concerned about being cheap, they can think of something.
I can explain for the case of Charizard and Lucario.
Charizard is one of the few Pokemon that actually never said its name in the anime. Other example I know of is Staryu. Sadly I never watched past the first seasons of the Pokemon anime so I can't tell what other examples exist.
Lucario talked in his first "official" appearance in the animated movie.

Don't know why they never gave any lines to Mewtwo though.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
It's super dumb,

What do I make of this?
It's moronic.
It's not so much "we have to cancel this fighter because we can't get European localizations" as much as it is "there's no character on FP2 that requires European localizations like a Pokemon to begin with, so we didn't bother".

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Sometimes I wonder an alternate timeline where this fanmade remix was instead presented as an actual leak
I'm curious if people would have thought it was real or not.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I mean

Yeah, the Smash fanbase has given its fair share of dumb theories, but that's what speculation is, a bunch of dumb theories that people toss around for fun. Who cares if they're right or wrong really, it's just fun to do.

Like, without speculation and theories, what exactly are we left with?

"I like X character!"
"Yeah, X character is cool."
"What about Y character?"
"Nah, Y sucks."

That sounds like a boring as hell time tbh.

Sure, people who impose theories as facts suck, but a theory is just that, a theory, it's not a rule.
I have absolutely no issues with people coming up with theories or speculating who is likely but I’m not really personally interested in it as much. I prefer to discuss my favorite characters, whether they are likely or not. It’s fun coming up with ideas of how they could play or what kind of content they could bring without getting too hung up on their chances. I think it’s good to have a mix of speculation and people just talking about their favorites.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I mentioned awhile back that I was looking into making PMEX character demonstration videos. I decided to go ahead with it, and did three. If anyone can guess what three characters I did, you get a warm feeling inside. Here's the roster.

now, time to go to bed.
Who’s the pink haired girl next to Sans?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
No because they're not Pokemon. No other series in Smash Bros has an item like the pokeball summon. It's clearly very important that each NEW generation gets represented by a NEW Pokemon and a NEW set of Pokeball summons.
That's fair, but I still find a pretty weird reason to say a Pokémon tep isn't coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom