• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Even as a massive Fire Emblem fan, I've never been crazy about making the Black Knight an Ike echo.

Yes, they were both trained by Greil and use blades that are deliberately meant to contrast with each other, but that's about where the similarities end. The Black Knight is a heavily armoured general while Ike is a mercenary in little armour outside of shinguards and shoulder pads. The way they stand, move, and even swing their blades is completely different. There's also the issue of the Black Knight not using Aether (and quite frankly, it would look kind of silly for him to do a front flip in his armour), but you could just pull a Chrom and replace his Up-B with the warp powder.

In essence, it would take the sum of Dark Samus' unique animations, Ken's unique stats, and Chrom's unique Up-B to make a Black Knight echo work. At that point, I'd rather see that love distributed amongst a handful of echoes.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I'm really, really certain that we won't be getting another FE rep this pass. I am similarly confident in regards to a new Pokemon. I don't know who it will be, but my gut says it'll be characters that - whether I wanted them beforehand or not, will actually be interesting. It's one thing that last pass ended how it did, I don't think they'd do that again the very next one down.

This comes off as scaremongering, to be honest.
You say scaremongering but I'd unironically be down for another FE rep.

Especially if it's Lyn.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Nintendo also gave us Joker, Terry and Sephiroth. I think it’s odd that people still use “it’s Nintendo” to anticipate the worst when they’ve also given us a lot that nobody would have expected from them.
Now obviously I have no proof for this, but I seriously struggle to imagine Joker and Terry's inclusion having had nothing to do with Sakurai. That said, Steve is a character we know was Nintendo's idea, and much like Terry, he's also incredibly based and poggers. I feel like the fighter selection is a bit more of a two-way street than some seem to think, but I digress.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
The Italian Whack tho is pretty on point as well

“Morte Istantanea”

idk what Italian Thwack translates to tho
According to Google Translate, Thwack's Italian variant translates to "more in one fell swoop."
Late reply but the meaning of the Italian version's names are "Instant Death" and "More in one hit". I suppose "More in one hit" implies "more deaths in one hit", but when reading it out of context it's pretty cryptic indeed.

EDIT: probably in this case "multiple" or "several" is a better translation than "more".

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I really don't think Ike's moveset for Black Knight would be the best solution. As shown by his Assist Trophy, he's meant to be a display of a very slow yet immovable juggernaut.

IMO, considering Black Knight is a consistent user of the Warp Powder stuff, I've always imagined Black Knight having a play-style similar to Exdeath from the first and second Dissidia games. Exdeath has an incredibly slow walking speed, but is able to move quickly around with his Warp spell, and his moveset revolves around countering the foe's attacks(think the Fire Emblem characters' Counter, but Exdeath has like 4 or 5 of them, each one for different attacks). In Black Knight's case, his form of countering is more like Bowser or Sephiroth's One Wing install where they tank hits with Superarmor in order to hit their foes with powerful attacks.

Pillow

Smash Lord
I really don't think Ike's moveset for Black Knight would be the best solution. As shown by his Assist Trophy, he's meant to be a display of a very slow yet immovable juggernaut.

IMO, considering Black Knight is a consistent user of the Warp Powder stuff, I've always imagined Black Knight having a play-style similar to Exdeath from the first and second Dissidia games. Exdeath has an incredibly slow walking speed, but is able to move quickly around with his Warp spell, and his moveset revolves around countering the foe's attacks(think the Fire Emblem characters' Counter, but Exdeath has like 4 or 5 of them, each one for different attacks). In Black Knight's case, his form of countering is more like Bowser or Sephiroth's One Wing install where they tank hits with Superarmor in order to hit their foes with powerful attacks.
While this is true, BK’s only real shot of being a playable character is as an Ike echo. And why add BK to be like Exdeath when you can just add Exdeath?

Technomage

Smash Champion
After thinking some more about our Fire Emblem discussion, and as someone who wouldn't be too happy about another FE character in Ultimate's DLC, I will say that I would make an exception for another FE guy if it were to be a joke character (not only would it be deliberately weak, but its moveset and animations would contain aspects of humor, such as slapstick). Does Fire Emblem have any such characters that could fit that description?

Side Note: Since hardly anybody here likes joke characters (especially as DLC), and people are already pissed about our last FE guy, I'd imagine there'd be a LLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOT of outrage if one of the DLC fighters were to be both a FE rep and a joke fighter. On the other hand, maybe that kind of thing would at least lead to the creation of funny videos, similar to this one:

Ivander

Smash Legend
While this is true, BK’s only real shot of being a playable character is as an Ike echo. And why add BK to be like Exdeath when you can just add Exdeath?
Do you think Exdeath will get in Smash before Terra, Bartz, Onion Knight, Warrior of Light, Cecil, Kefka, Lightning, Zidane, Squall, Tidus, Yuna, Gilgamesh, Tifa, Y'shtola, Noctis, a Chocobo, etc, etc, etc....

Pillow

Smash Lord
Do you think Exdeath will get in Smash before Terra, Bartz, Onion Knight, Warrior of Light, Cecil, Kefka, Lightning, Zidane, Squall, Tidus, Yuna, Gilgamesh, Tifa, Y'shtola, Noctis, a Chocobo, etc, etc, etc....
No, but I think he’ll probably get in before Black Knight, barring the possibility of Tellus game remakes.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
After thinking some more about our Fire Emblem discussion, and as someone who wouldn't be too happy about another FE character in Ultimate's DLC, I will say that I would make an exception for another FE guy if it were to be a joke character (not only would it be deliberately weak, but its moveset and animations would contain aspects of humor, such as slapstick). Does Fire Emblem have any such characters that could fit that description?

Side Note: Since hardly anybody here likes joke characters (especially as DLC), and people are already pissed about our last FE guy, I'd imagine there'd be a LLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOT of outrage if one of the DLC fighters were to be both a FE rep and a joke fighter. On the other hand, maybe that kind of thing would at least lead to the creation of funny videos, similar to this one:

The closest thing Fire Emblem has to an official joke character is Wrys, the first healer in the series. He's a bald, middle-aged cleric with consistently poor posture and all-around bad stats who got replaced by a vulnerary in Mystery of the Emblem (although Shadow Dragon and New Mystery of the Emblem added him back).

His introduction is played for laughs in New Mystery, his derpy-looking FE1 sprite appears when Marth uses his lodestar ability in Code Name: S.T.E.A.M, and Cipher (the second FE trading card game) reclassed him into a berserker for one of his cards as a joke. Of course, he's also holding the vulnerary that replaced him both in that card and his original card.

Ivander

Smash Legend
No, but I think he’ll probably get in before Black Knight, barring the possibility of Tellus game remakes.
Black Knight is/was at least the most popular villain, before Three Houses, of Fire Emblem, a Nintendo franchise. Not to mention he's an Assist Trophy, so he does have a model they can work upon.

Exdeath has 16 and more other FF Reps as well as other Square Enix series to compete with.

Last edited:

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
While I agree with your point about people taking fan theories as absolutes, the logic behind the Spanish voice theory is quite simple and consistent:
  • P1: If a Smash DLC wave contains a character with unique names in French and Spanish, unique French and Spanish cheers are likely recorded for the entire wave of characters.
  • P2: No one in the second Fighter's Pass had unique French and Spanish cheers.
  • P3: Virtually all Gen 8 Pokemon have a unique name in French and Spanish.
  • C: It's unlikely that a Gen 8 Pokemon is in the second Fighter's Pass.
You don't have to agree with these premises, but it's a perfectly sound argument.
I strongly disagree.
P1: They used Japanese Chants for most of the volume 2 characters so far, with one exception, being Pyra and Mythra, who are currently the only volume 2 characters to have English chants. This is very noticeable with Steve and co, listen next time you get them. So there is already precedent for this pass only recording different crowd cheers if they have drastically different names in different languages.
Check

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Looking back, Chrom chouldve gotten in Smash 4 and Lucina should've been relegated to a trophy. Chrom's side special could be Luna / Sol if you wanna make him a bit more unique.
This is one of the reasons why I think some of the Custom moves from Smash 4 not being given to Echos was a missed opportunity. Ike had that one version of his Side-B where he just goes through the foe rather than stops and hits them and that could've been given to Chrom's Side-B since it's similar to Luna.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I’m not putting 100% stock in the voice localization theory and believe there are absolutely loopholes for most characters, but man I’ve never seen a theory so widely misunderstood. I think it’s an interesting find, people are shoving it aside for the wrong reasons.
It feels like a standard theory misunderstanding, honestly.

"Oh hey, (X) did/didn't happened. I think this suggests (Y) isn't in the pipeline."
"That's dumb, they're not gonna arbitrarily shelve (Y) because they have/don't have (X)."

Not saying all theories are automatically correct, of course - This all hinges on whether or not you believe in it - But it feels like all the deconfirmation theories are met with the same "(X) wouldn't deconfirm (Y)" response when the theory is actually the other way around. This is just the next on the conveyor belt.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I would absolutely LOVE a new Fire Emblem game, especially with the awesome engine of Three Houses. 😍 I do also hope it will be a remake of either FE4 and FE5, or the Tellius games FE9 and FE10.

Also if it's a remake the chances drop significantly for the main Lord to be included, either he's already there, as with Roy or Ike, or it'll be another Marth like Lord as Seliph. Who likely will be skipped over like Alm was.
If they skip these characters it's not because they are Marth 2, but because they don't give remakes as much of a priority as new releases.
Which is understandable because remakes are by nature games that don't require as much resources or investment behind as a new entry.

That's why if we get a FE remake soon, I'm really sure the marketing behind it wouldn't be as strong as the one for 3H.

toonito

Smash Ace
This is one of the reasons why I think some of the Custom moves from Smash 4 not being given to Echos was a missed opportunity. Ike had that one version of his Side-B where he just goes through the foe rather than stops and hits them and that could've been given to Chrom's Side-B since it's similar to Luna.
Building off your Chrom Luna example I wonder what other custom moves from 4 could've been given to our current or new Echo fighters? I'm trying to think of echos who could've gotten Smash 4 custom moves as is or would said moves have to be tweaked a little further to fit the echo character.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
btw, less than a month for a potential new smash fighter reveal, how many of you are a bit nervous??
I'm 99 % chill. because I personally decided to not invest so much into who is more likely to get shown off (lets be real, the definition of "Big 3 E3 character" is so broad it could be practically anyone notable). Only a bit nervous since I've invested a bit emotionally ("What if a character I really like gets in"?), but not that much.

I'm of two minds when it comes to that. On one hand, I'm honestly fine with how Chrom is currently because he plays differently from Roy. Not just because of lack of sweet / sourspot, but also since the two approach situations differently. Roy wants to bearhug his opponent and consistently pressure: a Roy that gets going can feel like a ****ing unstoppable pain train. Chrom aims to strike a balance between aggression and patience - the character prefers this not only because he lacks the sourspot, but also since he does not want to be off stage. At all. Chrom has more flexibility on stage, but Roy can usually survive a bit longer since his Up B has a little horizontal movement.

On the other hand, Luna would've made for a more interesting kit, and given that 3 characters are derived from Marth moving them away from Marth would've been much more engaging to experiment with. Any such changes would be precarious becauce of what I said above - Roy / Chrom is already an interesting contrast. It's certainly possible, but would need finetuning.

Then again, I'm not in favor of Chrom being an Ike echo because Ike's moveset doesn't fully evoke that balance between aggression and patience. Ike wants to wall people out and get the room for follow ups / additional hard hitting attacks - which would be more difficult base to build Chrom from. Of course, my PoV is influenced by the fact that I'm content with Chrom being a Roy echo, but still,

Also, in "IP ressurection projects no one expected":

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
toonito toonito SNEKeater SNEKeater frickin frick for a second I thought one of you double posted cause you both got very similar PFPs of Sol

aaaaaanyway time to talk about the elephant in the room

the Lloyd Mii which is still absent

at this point I’m low key expecting that costume to unceremoniously return in a random Mii update sans character just like how it was in 4. I mean I wouldn’t put it past them since we got Small Battlefield in a random update

Technomage

Smash Champion
Building off your Chrom Luna example I wonder what other custom moves from 4 could've been given to our current or new Echo fighters? I'm trying to think of echos who could've gotten Smash 4 custom moves as is or would said moves have to be tweaked a little further to fit the echo character.
Let's see:

:ultlucina:: Give her Heavy Blade (Side B) and Dashing Assault (Neutral B) to better compliment her more aggressive fighting style.

:ultdaisy:: Give her Grumpy Toad (Neutral B) and Heavy Vegetable (Down B)

:ultdarksamus:: Give her Dense Charge Shot (Neutral) and Mega Bomb (Down B)

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
toonito toonito SNEKeater SNEKeater frickin frick for a second I thought one of you double posted cause you both got very similar PFPs of Sol

aaaaaanyway time to talk about the elephant in the room

the Lloyd Mii which is still absent

at this point I’m low key expecting that costume to unceremoniously return in a random Mii update sans character just like how it was in 4. I mean I wouldn’t put it past them since we got Small Battlefield in a random update
Pretty certain that it will return with a character, like all third-party costumes from Smash 4 previously.
They can always surprise us, but I'm confident he won't be absent nor become playable.

A minute of silence for the red shell hat mii costume which will definitely not return.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Lucina - make Codename Steam and PXZ2 canon to smash by giving her the crossbow she had in both games
Daisy - uhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHH I have no idea rip. Maybe make the properties of her moves have more pronounced differences than Peach’s
Richter - Hydro Storm Final Smash. That is all
Pretty certain that it will return with a character, like all third-party costumes from Smash 4 previously.
They can always surprise us, but I'm confident he won't be absent nor become playable.

A minute of silence for the red shell hat mii costume which will definitely not return.
Sad @Adrianette Bromide noises

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Daisy - uhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHH I have no idea rip. Maybe make the properties of her moves have more pronounced differences than Peach’s
As an alternative to the custom moves I gave to Daisy, we could give her more moves that represent the Kart, Party, and Sports spinoffs (such as a Bumper Ball attack as her side or down B). And her Neutral and Down Specials probably should have been different moves from Peach entirely, since turnips and Toads do not seem like a Daisy thing.

Edit: Also, have her Neutral Special be the Super Horn from Mario Kart 8, and have it be something that causes a shockwave around Daisy even while she's being comboed, to make it a move she can use to escape combos; it probably should, however, have a cooldown period between uses so as to not make it overpowered).

Last edited:

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
Blizzard still cares about Diablo on Switch, apparently. Diablo II: Resurrected is slated to release on the system this year. Diablo Immortal might as well.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Well here's a list of the Custom moves
Just clicking on one of the moves goes to the main special page and the customs are at the bottom of the page.

Just looking at some of the list, I think Dark Samus could've had Dense Charge Shot, Relentless Missile, Apex Screw Attack and Mega Bomb to really differentiate her from Samus. Dense Charge Shot would've also had some similarity to her Assist Trophy attacks where the Orbs she summoned lasted a while and were good for trapping.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
They could have easily made Medusa with some of Palutena’s old customs from 4
I think Viridi would've been more fitting, as gameplay-wise in Kid Icarus Uprising, she and Palutena do use the same powers. Medusa.....admittingly I don't want to see as an Echo as I want to see her using her snake-hair lasers, her non-staff melee attacks like her dark-power infused hand slash, and her Final Smash using her true form.

Pillow

Smash Lord
I think Viridi would've been more fitting, as gameplay-wise in Kid Icarus Uprising, she and Palutena do use the same powers. Medusa.....admittingly I don't want to see as an Echo as I want to see her using her snake-hair lasers, her non-staff melee attacks like her dark-power infused hand slash, and her Final Smash using her true form.
I’ve never played KI but isn’t Viridi much shorter than Palu? She looks like a kid in the codecs.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Except Medusa has the same height and dimensions as Palutena. The fact too she's her opposite, Palutena represents light, Medusa represents darkness.

Viridi is too short to be Palutena's echo.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If they skip these characters it's not because they are Marth 2, but because they don't give remakes as much of a priority as new releases.
Which is understandable because remakes are by nature games that don't require as much resources or investment behind as a new entry.

That's why if we get a FE remake soon, I'm really sure the marketing behind it wouldn't be as strong as the one for 3H.
I doubt they won't market it as much as they can. Especially if they're remakes of the Tellius / Ike games. Those are very very expensive now second-handed. And Ike is a very popular character. I think they would market it just as much in that case honestly.

Also, IF I'd be forced to make Daisy, of all characters, more unique.. I'd give her the volleyball attack of Wii Fit Trainer.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Except Medusa has the same height and dimensions as Palutena. The fact too she's her opposite, Palutena represents light, Medusa represents darkness.

Viridi is too short to be Palutena's echo.
Like you can just reskin Palu’s old customs to be all dark and edgy to fit Medusa

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I made a list a while ago with what changes I'd make to every clone character and echo fighter in Smash Ultimate (Except Richter)

:ultdoc:

Megavitamins -> Mega Capsule
Throws a large, slow-moving capsule. Short ranged, but hits multiple times.

Super Sheet -> Shocking Sheet
Launch foes with an electrically charged sheet. Can't reflect projectiles, though.

Super Jump Punch -> Ol' One Two
A burning uppercut. Not much height, but causes a powerful explosion at its peak.

Dr. Tornado = Fine
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:ultyounglink:

Fire Arrow = Fine

Boomerang -> Ripping Boomerang
A short-ranged boomerang that passes through opponents, dealing multiple hits.

Spin Attack -> Shocking Spin
Strong and electrical, but sideways motion is reduced and it leaves you vulnerable.

Bomb -> Deku Nut
Throw a Deku nut on the ground and it will stun opponents in place.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:ulttoonlink:

Hero's Bow -> Ice Arrow
Fires Ice arrows that can freeze opponents at higher percents.

Boomerang -> Deku Leaf
Fans the way forward as it blows opponents away with one fell swoop.

Spin Attack -> Hurricane Spin
Slide forward while spinning. If used in the air, you'll move more sideways than up.

Bomb -> Time Bomb
The bomb only explodes when its fuse runs out. Does less damage but launches foes.

:ultpichu:

Thunder Jolt -> Thunder Wave
The ball of electricity paralyzes foes but does less damage.

Skull Bash -> Shocking Skull Bash
A flying headbutt that deals multiple hits. The last hit has added launch power.

Agility = Fine

Thunder -> Distant Thunder
The thundercloud will appear higher up. Deal more damage near the cloud.

:ultdaisy:

Toad -> Sleepy Toad
A counter that puts opponents in front of you to sleep. Launches airborne opponents.

Daisy Bomber -> Flower Bomber
A hip bash that plants flowers on enemies' heads. If you miss, you're left open to attacks.

Daisy Parasol -> Light Parasol
The jump isn't very high, but opening the parasol lifts you a little bit higher.

Vegetable (Normal/Bored/Sleepy/Surprised/Joyful) -> Light Veggie
Pluck a slow-flying veggie from the ground. Can only be used so many times in a row.

Vegetable (Oof/Weird/Stichface) -> Heavy Veggie
Pluck a heavy veggie that doesn't go far but can launch opponents.

:ultdarksamus:

Charge Shot -> Multi Shot
The amount of shots depends of how much it's been charged from 1 (Uncharged) to 3 (Half Charged to 5 (Fully Charged)

Missile -> Relentless Missile
Launch a slower, more persistent missile. Also, the Super Missiles decelerate after a bit.

Screw Attack -> Apex Screw Attack
Hits at the start and peak of the jump. The force at the peak can launch foes.

Bomb -> Mega Bomb
Drop a stronger bomb with a longer fuse. Only one can exist at a time.

:ultlucina:

Shield Breaker -> Dashing Assault
Thrust while dashing forward. Deals slightly less damage than normal.

Dancing Blade -> Effortless Blade
You can't change the combo type, but you can wait longer between attacks. Lower damage.

Dolphin Slash -> Crescent Slash
Rise in an arc while attacking. Deals most damage at the midpoint. Doesn't go as high.

Counter -> Easy Counter
Your counter stance lasts longer, but the attack power is lower.

:ultchrom:

Flare Blade -> Storm Blade
Slash your sword forward, creating a gust of wind that knocks opponents back.

Double-Edge Dance - Heavy Blade
Each strike is stronger but launches foes, making it hard to pull off a combo.

Soaring Slash = Fine

Counter -> Paralysing Counter
A counter that paralyzes enemies instead of dealing damage.

:ultdarkpit:

Silver Bow -> Piercing Bow
Fire a giant arrow that travels through foes. A powerful shot, but leaves you quite open.

Electroshock Arm -> Quickshock Arm
Charge forward with such speed, you won't stop even after delivering an uppercut.

Power of Flight -> Striking Flight
The angle of flight can't be controlled as much, but you deal damage at takeoff.

Guardian Orbitars -> Amplifying Orbitars
Summon shields that are easily broken but boost the power of reflected projectiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom