• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Wow a significant and plausible theory!?

Well looking at the likely Tales Of protagonists. They seem to be still safe as they only have english and Japanese voice actors.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Well looking at the likely Tales Of protagonists. They seem to be still safe as they only have english and Japanese voice actors.
This is for the announcer and crowd cheers, not international voices for the character

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion

Really I think this theory only hurts Pokemon as a whole as they are the only ones that would need French and German voices due to how they work.
Even if a Tales Of character had fifty different languages where he was dubbed, they could just use English and Japanese since they don't really have a precedence where they are forced to dub him in all languages in Smash.
Meanwhile even in Melee they had to record Jigglypuff in French to remain consistant because it is Rondoudou in my homeland.
Apparently they even added new voice lines in French and German for Jigglypuff in Melee too.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Okay, so basically:

The theory is that we're not getting someone who has multiple names between different languages. The info we're basing it off of is the fact that there haven't been any EU dubbing groups contacted for FP2. Alternatively, we could get someone with multiple names, but their crowd chants just won't mention them by name.

At least, that's what I think it's about.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Okay, so basically:

The theory is that we're not getting someone who has multiple names between different languages. The info we're basing it off of is the fact that there haven't been any EU dubbing groups contacted for FP2. Alternatively, we could get someone with multiple names, but their crowd chants just won't mention them by name.

At least, that's what I think it's about.
How I understood it is:
-There have been no European dubbing groups contacted for FP2 when they were for FP1
-All Pokemon have been dubbed in all languages since 64, even including new clips in Melee
-For consistancy, they'd need to hire again French and German dubbing groups if they intend on including a Pokemon that NEEDS to get a French and German dub.
-However, we know from looking at FP1 and comparing it to FP2 that they were not brought back for the second pass.
-Effectively, that implies a character that would require more voice acting (meaning not just the announcers or the crowds but also the character you use) than Japanese and English is not happening.

So it's really big only against Pokemon.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
How I understood it is:
-There have been no European dubbing groups contacted for FP2 when they were for FP1
-All Pokemon have been dubbed in all languages since 64, even including new clips in Melee
-For consistancy, they'd need to hire again French and German dubbing groups if they intend on including a Pokemon that NEEDS to get a French and German dub.
-However, we know from looking at FP1 and comparing it to FP2 that they were not brought back for the second pass.
-Effectively, that implies a character that would require more voice acting (meaning not just the announcers or the crowds but also the character you use) than Japanese and English is not happening.

So it's really big only against Pokemon.
And Phoenix Wright. Doesn’t he have different names in almost every language including the obvious Japanese?

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Is there any hard evidence sourcing they haven't hired anyone? 'Cause I doubt Nintendo's gonna make it public knowledge who they've hired for unannounced characters.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Is there any hard evidence sourcing they haven't hired anyone? 'Cause I doubt Nintendo's gonna make it public knowledge who they've hired for unannounced characters.
Slightly related, would the pandemic also have been a contributor to this?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
And Phoenix Wright. Doesn’t he have different names in almost every language including the obvious Japanese?
Capcom of Europe hasn't localized Ace Attorney since Apollo Justice, us Euros have gotten English and only English for the majority of the franchise's lifespan now

MooMew64

Slightly related, would the pandemic also have been a contributor to this?
VO work can be pretty easily done remotely, so I don't think so.

I'm just trying to see if we can source this thing to anything other than funny 4chan thread, 'cause right now I think the only reason peeps are jumping on this is because it casts a Pokemon in an unlikely light.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
No, his name is the same everywhere else. At least in France.

I mean, it's in-game data. They have 14 different voice clips for the crowds for all FP1 characters, even two different English versions, and only 2 for the FP2 characters, reusing the non-Japanese version for everyone else.
That's already public knowledge if you check the game files.

MooMew64

No, his name is the same everywhere else. At least in France.

I mean, it's in-game data. They have 14 different voice clips for the crowds for all FP1 characters, even two different English versions, and only 2 for the FP2 characters, reusing the non-Japanese version for everyone else.
That's already public knowledge if you check the game files.
I mean, we're seeing what they want us to see atm. There's nothing saying they can't just add them in with a character's release: Especially if this is current in game files.

Dunno how much of this I'm buyin' atm. Not throwing it out, but also thinking it's reaching a bit. :224:

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I mean, we're seeing what they want us to see atm. There's nothing saying they can't just add them in with a character's release: Especially if this is current in game files.

Dunno how much of this I'm buyin' atm. Not throwing it out, but also thinking it's reaching a bit. :224:
I'm not sure what you're trying to convey here. They avoided adding the cheers for the other FP2 characters only to put them later on? But... Why? When they didn't do that for any of the first DLC characters?

Ivander

Smash Legend
So wait. What's happening with multiple voice clips, crowd chants and whatnot? Was there like new files found or something?

MooMew64

I'm not sure what you're trying to convey here. They avoided adding the cheers for the other FP2 characters only to put them later on? But... Why? When they didn't do that for any of the first DLC characters?
What I'm saying is that this is using data we have publicly viewable now, and doesn't account for any change later on.

They aren't going to put in crowd cheers for unreleased content, so I think it definitely is possible they're just not in the game yet because, well...The character's they belong to aren't.

TBH this feels very reminiscent of when people tried to say voice data was pointing to Crash and Coco.:drshrug:

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'm playing the FDC remakes right now and having the tense murder mystery music in the background really enhances the effect of the theorizing.
So wait. What's happening with multiple voice clips, crowd chants and whatnot? Was there like new files found or something?
From what I can gather, checking through the game's files shows that there's about 14-ish voice clips for the announcer and crowd for the FP1 character, each in a different language. With FP2, however, there's only Japanese and English clips (And Korean, I think?), so some people are theorizing FP2 won't have any fighters who have different names from the English and Japanese ones (Or alternatively, if they have different names the crowd chants just won't say their name at all).

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I mean...

There's also the possibility that there are no other languages in the files because they haven't needed them yet.
But they somehow did it for all the other FP1 characters? Despite all of them sharing the same names? And they would have needed it for Pyra and Mythra because they are not pronounced correctly in French.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
From what I can gather, checking through the game's files shows that there's about 14-ish voice clips for the announcer and crowd for the FP1 character, each in a different language. With FP2, however, there's only Japanese and English clips (And Korean, I think?), so some people are theorizing FP2 won't have any fighters who have different names from the English and Japanese ones (Or alternatively, if they have different names the crowd chants just won't say their name at all).
The French/Spanish/German etc. announcers are still being brought in for FP2, the corner that's being cut is in the crowd cheers, where everyone had to deal with Japanese cheers until Pyra and Mythra made it necessary to record ones for English.

Basically it seems more like they only want to bring in non-Japanese VAs when it is really, really necessary.

Last edited:

MooMew64

But they somehow did it for all the other FP1 characters? Despite all of them sharing the same names? And they would have needed it for Pyra and Mythra because they are not pronounced correctly in French.
What would really help clarify this is if people had earlier versions of the game to comb through. We're looking at FP1's voices after release, I'd kind of like to know what the file structure looked like during development.

Also, if I'm understanding you correctly: You're saying Pyra and Mythra would have needed one for French pronunciation, but went without it anyways? If so, then yeah, this feels a lot like a nothing burger: Especially when not every crowd chant is the crowd yelling the character's name.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
What I'm getting from this is they haven't contacted voice teams for EU localization. This doesn't mean characters that have different names in European countries (like Isaac) are out, because the announcer names and crowd chants are recorded in advance; nor does it mean that characters with different VAs depending on the region are out, because no character so far has had more than three (Japanese, Korean and English) voice sets. Therefore, this would only affect characters that would need to say different things depending on the region (such as Pokemon, who say their own names which are changed in certain territories).

Is any of what I just said incorrect? I want to get things clear before the game of telephone that is Smash speculation twists this into theories supporting their most wanteds.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What I'm getting from this is they haven't contacted voice teams for EU localization. This doesn't mean characters that have different names in European countries (like Isaac) are out, because the announcer names and crowd chants are recorded in advance; nor does it mean that characters with different VAs depending on the region are out, because no character so far has had more than three (Japanese, Korean and English) voice sets. Therefore, this would only affect characters that would need to say different things depending on the region (such as Pokemon, who say their own names which are changed in certain territories).

Is any of what I just said incorrect? I want to get things clear before the game of telephone that is Smash speculation twists this into theories supporting their most wanteds.
Btw I’m wondering which characters have a Korean voice track?

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion

That's exactly it.
Apparently, they didn't contact the EU teams again for the second pass when they did so for the first one.
We don't know the reason, but Covid might be it.
However it implies that they didn't require assistance from these teams. So they don't need a character that uses French, German, Italian or Spanish.
According to Xander, when they record the characters' names, they have a huge list so they cannot come back and potentially leak who is next or not.
Meaning that, since Min-Min, they didn't get in contact with the European (and Russian) teams.
The only characters that are forced to be voiced in at least French and German are the Pokemon, because their gimmick is saying their names and they have always been localized in Smash since Melee.

tl;dr It only matters for a Pokemon. But not even all Pokemon.
You can have a Pokemon that doesn't scream his name or that has the same name in all countries besides Japan. Such as the legendaries wolves.

SKX31

Smash Master
That's exactly it.
Apparently, they didn't contact the EU teams again for the second pass when they did so for the first one.
We don't know the reason, but Covid might be it.
However it implies that they didn't require assistance from these teams. So they don't need a character that uses French, German, Italian or Spanish.
According to Xander, when they record the characters' names, they have a huge list so they cannot come back and potentially leak who is next or not.
Meaning that, since Min-Min, they didn't get in contact with the European (and Russian) teams.
The only characters that are forced to be voiced in at least French and German are the Pokemon, because their gimmick is saying their names and they have always been localized in Smash since Melee.

tl;dr It only matters for a Pokemon. But not even all Pokemon.
You can have a Pokemon that doesn't scream his name or that has the same name in all countries besides Japan. Such as the legendaries wolves.
TBF, I can see an edge case where Nintendo could add FP2 chants in a future patch, but that feels kinda unlikely given that they were released without it to begin with.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo wanted to record chants for the FP2 characters, but lacking remote work infrastructure (Nintendo's not been the kind of company to rely on Zoom, I assume, before the pandemic. That also might be the case with Bamco / Sakurai) might've prevented that from being recorded at Nintendo's offices,

That + Nintendo's history with secrecy might've made it more trouble than its worth from Nintendo's PoV - especially since we're talking something pretty minor that only comes up on average once per match at most. It's pretty difficult to get the crowd to cheer to begin with: while the reasons are not entirely known:

... common trends include having high damage, the start of the match after the announcer gives the "GO!" signal, and doing something significant, such as KOing multiple opponents at once, or falling behind considerably during the course of a match.
Anecdotally, I've heard it most when I've been at high damage and used Limit Blade Beam to help secure my recovery (with the Beam hitting my opponent away from the edge or at least forcing a shield).

Btw I’m wondering which characters have a Korean voice track?
Well, here they are. (I believe some Korean chants are the same as the Japanese, probably the FP2 characters, but we'll have to see.)

(Damnit, I'm a bit sad that SSBU doesn't have commentator packs. Because the most memorable Korean casters are nuts and I'd love to see this kind of insanity included as optional announcers) (Volume warning):

And yes, this also goes for other games like LoL, where the memorable Korean casters are equally hype-inducing.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I'm still not 100% sure on what this theory would entail.

I'm not sure if this only affects the Crowd Cheers and announcers, or this also affects other things like the Actual character voices and such

I will say that disregarding Pokemon, the only characters with different voice acting (not extending to English and Japanesse), is Wii Fit Trainer and Sonic, and Shadow & Knuckles

In regards to Sonic, with the exception of the Japanese Voice, all the Voice Clips are re-used from other games. Sonic and Shadow's JP voice clips are re-used from Brawl, & Knuckles's JP voice clip is re-used from another game since Knuckles is New Assist.

So I think if they did put in Another Sonic character, the voice clips are likely to be re-used, and I'm not sure whether re-using clips entails having to hire different dubbing company for FP2.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I'm still not 100% sure on what this theory would entail.

I'm not sure if this only affects the Crowd Cheers and announcers, or this also affects other things like the Actual character voices and such

I will say that disregarding Pokemon, the only characters with different voice acting (not extending to English and Japanesse), is Wii Fit Trainer and Sonic, and Shadow & Knuckles

In regards to Sonic, with the exception of the Japanese Voice, all the Voice Clips are re-used from other games. Sonic and Shadow's JP voice clips are re-used from Brawl, & Knuckles's JP voice clip is re-used from another game since Knuckles is New Assist.

So I think if they did put in Another Sonic character, the voice clips are likely to be re-used, and I'm not sure whether re-using clips entails having to hire different dubbing company for FP2.
It's a theory...

A Game Theory!

Personally, I was already thinking that we wouldn't get a Pokemon because of the spirit event. So it doesn't really change my views much.

Last edited:

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
The only two characters I want are Reimu and Porky. But there's plenty of characters I'd be down for. We'll just have to see, really.
To be honest, I really don't think the E3 reveal has to be "something big." It just has to be "Smash" as is par for the course.
YOOOO BASED. Those are my two most wanted as well. Also, I had a dream where Eggman and Porky were revealed as the last two characters and at the end of the trailer they took on the entire roster with robots.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The voice thing is interesting, but I wouldn't read too much into it. It might be a sign of a smaller budget, but I doubt all six characters in this pass were chosen based on the number of VAs they'd have to hire for each one.

They'll likely cut corners if they can, but that doesn't mean every character is doomed to be limited to two or three VAs.

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
Uhhhhh whomst

anyway uh, if I were to add a costume in each characters wave or even add a song to an existing costume;

Joker - his costumes are good as is
Hero - same
Banjo - add a PreMiium Ori Brawler with Restoring the Light, Facing the Dark
Terry - add a PreMiium Monokuma Brawler with a Danganronpa Medley
Byleth - Tsubasa costume with the TMS battle theme as a track, she already has a Spirit so let’s go further. Alternatively, Itsuki works too
Min Min - no added costumes, but the song in Heihachi’s segment shoulda come with him. Also, add the Fallout 4 theme with Vault Boy
Steve - add a Bomberman 64 song with the Bomberman costume
Sephiroth - include a SMRPG track with Geno, and include a 2B PreMiium Swordfighter with A Beautiful Song
Pyra/Mythra - NO I AM NOT MII-ING ELMA EVEN IF JUST FOR UNCONTROLLABLE. SHE DESERVES MORE. however, a Mecha-Fiora Swordfighter as compensation for her being in Shulk’s Final Smash... really wanted her as playable. Also a Hollow Knight PreMiium Swordfighter with a Sealed Vessel remix
You must accept fate for what it is.
1621113411666.png

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
What I was asking is if there’s a French, Spanish, ect. Sephiroth in actual FF games. I know there’s only Japanese Sephiroth in Smash.
You mean different dub for him or something like that? Nope, but in spanish his name is Sefirot, if that helps.

This new info, if true, made me think characters such as Isaac, who has different names in Europe, would be out of the picture but if this doesn't affect the announcer then he and other characters in a similar position should be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom