• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Probably silly.

Especially if it somehow turns out that Sylux is an even bigger Youtube compilation / clip magnet than the the proclaimed CLIP GOD, :ultfalcon: .

Well, lets spin the Wheel of Smash Speculation Hell!

View attachment 315279

The choices are:

1. Crash talk, but every line written down re: Crash has to be taken from Crash of the Titans' / Mind over Mutant's scripts.
2. Thesis-writing asking whether Cacomallow proves Smash speculation is a flat circle or not. 2000 words minimum, with academic sources.
3. 4th party talk, but one must write like a Silver Age supervillain.
4. Pokemon talk, but written in such a saccarine manner that even Ash Ketchum would seem like Jason Vorhees by comparision.
5. FE talk / anime swordsmen, but any response must be done as a soap opera.
6. "Someone I think is less talked about but deserves to be more talked about is..." Crickets because no one else is familiar with the game.
7. Forum game from hell: "One of your most wanteds gets in, but his / her moveset is from your least wanted. Which would you sacrifice?".
8. "Gee, it sure is boring around here!" "Mah boi, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!"

I'm pretty sure I missed something, but that should cover most bases here.

:4pacman:

I never got the impression that Sakurai in particular - and Nintendo in general - are that keen on extending DLC or going with a live-service method. Now, there are Nintendo games that do that (MKT is arguably the most notable example), but FP3 / additional DLC characters seem to be very unlikely precisely due to Sakurai's wording. The only way I can see that is if Furukawa / other Ninty execs convince Sakurai and the Bamco team, and as alluded to I don't think Furukawa's the kind of exec to do that unless Sakurai was 100 % sure.
(Generates random number, gets 3)

KEH! THOSE DASTARDLY PURISTS THINK THAT THE PURITY OF SMASH WILL STAY FOREVER! IT'S NOT IF WE GET A FOURTH PARTY, BUT WHEN! BE IN THE NEXT GAME, OR THE GAME AFTER THAT, WE WILL SEE ONE JOIN THE BATTLE! AND THEN, I WILL USE THE NEW RULES TO MAKE BILL CIPHER THE MOST REQUESTED FIGHTER! KEHEHHEHHEHEH

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Mr. Kumazaki has teased the "next phase" of Kirby for nearly the past three years, I don't know why it's still news when he mentions it. Personally I'm a little worried that a desire for "innovation" will break Kirby's no-bad-game streak, but hopefully I'm wrong!

Gosh, I can't seem to recall that character's name. What is it again?
Fun police be damned, I chuckled and I'm not afraid to admit it.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
So here's a theory/argument against a new Pokemon that I've seen going rounds:

nopokemon.png

The gist of it is that there's evidence that they did not bring in European teams for recording new lines for the FP2 characters, unlike the base game characters and even FP1. Which would potentially rule out characters that necessitate French/German/etc voice clips, like a new Pokemon (i.e Cinderace is called "Pyrobut" in French)

What do we make of this?

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

View attachment 315296

The gist of it is that there's evidence that they did not bring in European teams for recording new lines for the FP2 characters, unlike the base game characters and even FP1. Which would potentially rule out characters that necessitate French/German/etc voice clips, like a new Pokemon (i.e Cinderace is called "Pyrobut" in French)

What do we make of this?
I poked around that thread yesterday cuz I was desperate for leaks and someone else said either Sephiroth and/or Pythra had French and/or Italian crowd cheers so. Idk what to make of this

but if the name is different in LITERALLY EVERY REGION then yeah

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion

View attachment 315296

The gist of it is that there's evidence that they did not bring in European teams for recording new lines for the FP2 characters, unlike the base game characters and even FP1. Which would potentially rule out characters that necessitate French/German/etc voice clips, like a new Pokemon (i.e Cinderace is called "Pyrobut" in France)

What do we make of this?
Pyrobut is the name in France you Dinosaur!

But yeah, if there's actual evidence they didn't bring back French voice actors for the DLC, it sure wouldn't help a Pokemon's case. It's not like Sonic who reuses his voice clips from other games.

I poked around that thread yesterday cuz I was desperate for leaks and someone else said either Sephiroth and/or Pythra had French and/or Italian crowd cheers so. Idk what to make of this
Pyra definitely doesn't. I was also surprised because they used the English pronunciation for Pyra and Mythra. Even Byleth has a cheer that sounds like how they encourage a soccer team in France. Source: I'm French.

EDIT: Found the article on SSBwiki. According to the trivia:

Oddly, Min Min, Steve, Alex, Zombie, and Enderman's crowd cheers were only recorded in Japanese and Korean. All non-Korean language versions of the game use the Japanese crowd cheer.
  • However, Sephiroth, Pyra and Mythra have a crowd cheer separate from the Japanese and Korean versions which is heard in all non-Asian language versions of the game.
Apparently they only have three crowd cheers max for the second pass opposed to the usual 9. It's definitely due to the COVID.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I don't think we're getting another Pokemon this go around. I have no real reason or evidence, I'm just not feelin' it.
I always felt like Pokémon were base roster only (Mewtwo was a veteran in 4 so he’s the exception). Idk MAYBE Game Freak has some kinda stipulation behind adding a new Pokémon for DLC? Idk.

I would like the SwSh gym theme to be added SOMEHOW tho even if you gotta make an Ultimate Deluxe to do it

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
So the last two characters might be be silent and/or limited to one language for all regions?

Well that's an odd way to confirm Amaterasu as one of the final fighters, but I'll take it. ;)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So the last two characters might be be silent and/or limited to one language for all regions?

Well that's an odd way to confirm Amaterasu as one of the final fighters, but I'll take it. ;)
I think that was referring to crowd cheers, not the character’s actual voice language

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
We are 4 weeks away til E3. Who do you to see to be revealed the most?
Sora or a League of Legends rep (mainly Ahri, but it's hard to make me unhappy with other possibilities).

Pyrobut is the name in France you Dinosaur!
Look at my profile pic and say that again, I dare you. :4yoshi: :4miigun:

Also, I'd like to ask something: what games/characters do you think have no chance now, but might become frontrunners by the time Smash 6 comes around?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I mean... I doubt Reimu would be voiced beyond grunts and such...
And the... Hakurei Shrine trademark...
And the... gr-graze gl-
[Furious self-pinching]
Side note I got a REALLY good feeling about Reimu. I haven’t been this confident in a not-leaked character since Terry (I WANTED Nakoruru but I just knew, in my heart, that the SNK character was Terry. Still content with Terry either way)

I know the SNK copyright was leaked but not Terry himself so
Sora or a League of Legends rep (mainly Ahri, but it's hard to make me unhappy with other possibilities).

Also, I'd like to ask something: what games/characters do you think have no chance now, but might become frontrunners by the time Smash 6 comes around?
As in ABSOLUTELY no chance? Astral Chain, a Gen 8 Pokémon, maybe Ring Fit too

for extremely slim chance (non-zero) I’d say Elma

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion

What I get from it is not that they cannot add a character that talks. But they probably won't add a character that speaks in French, German, Italian, Russian and Spanish since they didn't recontact some foreigners teams even for a simple task that is the crowd cheers.
And most Pokemon would definitely need to be dubbed in French. I mean, Pyrobut going Cinder... ACE! Would be weird when all other Pokemon speak in French (even Lucario is fully voiced, which is weird, I don't recall Lucario actually talking).

You're a man of taste with that Yoshi.
And of course, a Fire Emblem character and one of the newest Pokemon would definitely be the most speculated characters. As well as the new Xenoblade protagonist if the new game releases anytime soon.

Also Waluigi, Geno and Isaac would probably return in the speculation bubbles.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yeah, same. But I don't like being optimistic about the odds of a character I actually want, y'know?
Who else COULD it be? Rayman? Chief? I can’t see the graze glitch (which I should reiterate affects EVERYONE and EVERY projectile) pointing to them

as for her voice I think they’d just use one from one of the fangames

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Hey guys, remember how whenever we try to talk about somebody less talked about, it goes nowhere because nobody knows about them? Well never fear! Nippon Ichi has released a timeline of their works to coincide with the release of NIS Classics Volume 1!

Now we can talk about them in Smash slightly more often!

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Who else COULD it be? Rayman? Chief? I can’t see the graze glitch (which I should reiterate affects EVERYONE and EVERY projectile) pointing to them

as for her voice I think they’d just use one from one of the fangames
Well at the same time, I'm not sure I want to read too far into glitches, which tend to be weird by nature. I want to believe, but for now I just gotta wait and see, fingers crossed.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Uhhhhh whomst

anyway uh, if I were to add a costume in each characters wave or even add a song to an existing costume;

Joker - his costumes are good as is
Hero - same
Banjo - add a PreMiium Ori Brawler with Restoring the Light, Facing the Dark
Terry - add a PreMiium Monokuma Brawler with a Danganronpa Medley
Byleth - Tsubasa costume with the TMS battle theme as a track, she already has a Spirit so let’s go further. Alternatively, Itsuki works too
Min Min - no added costumes, but the song in Heihachi’s segment shoulda come with him. Also, add the Fallout 4 theme with Vault Boy
Steve - add a Bomberman 64 song with the Bomberman costume
Sephiroth - include a SMRPG track with Geno, and include a 2B PreMiium Swordfighter with A Beautiful Song
Pyra/Mythra - NO I AM NOT MII-ING ELMA EVEN IF JUST FOR UNCONTROLLABLE. SHE DESERVES MORE. however, a Mecha-Fiora Swordfighter as compensation for her being in Shulk’s Final Smash... really wanted her as playable. Also a Hollow Knight PreMiium Swordfighter with a Sealed Vessel remix
Id honestly just add Itsuki for Byleth and Akechi for Joker

SKX31

Smash Master
I’m not sure how I feel about a live service method myself...

that’s like what Fortnite/other F2P games do right?
Yup. The method is essentially having the development staff adding new content to the game for the medium / long term, with usually a focus around Seasons / rewards. Microtransactions tend to be involved, but aren't neccessarily part of the package.

It has its benefits and drawbacks, it's just that it's heavily associated with microtransactions because of what most corps (and what most infamous examples such as Battlefront II at release) do.

(Generates random number, gets 3)

KEH! THOSE DASTARDLY PURISTS THINK THAT THE PURITY OF SMASH WILL STAY FOREVER! IT'S NOT IF WE GET A FOURTH PARTY, BUT WHEN! BE IN THE NEXT GAME, OR THE GAME AFTER THAT, WE WILL SEE ONE JOIN THE BATTLE! AND THEN, I WILL USE THE NEW RULES TO MAKE BILL CIPHER THE MOST REQUESTED FIGHTER! KEHEHHEHHEHEH
10 / 10. Just need some old timey slang:

And it's a 11 / 10.

It's really difficult to say right now since we don't know Smash 6's timing. But assuming Sakurai gets a vacation / another project in between and Smash 6 is lets say a mid-to-late 2020s game:

• Someone like Zagreus if Hades continues its momentum.
  • RFA feels given as a frontrunner, especially due to the delay between Wii Fit's release and its appearance in Smash.
  • Astral Chain likewise has the start it needed, so it could be in a good spot 4-5 years from now.
  • I definetely think that Genshin Impact has the needed staying power to be a frontrunner.
  • Some retro characters due to the "Obligatory retro slot". Mach Rider maybe?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
If Metroid Prime 4 finally releases and Sylux actually ends up being the coolest thing in the series I wonder how we're gonna feel looking back on this conversation.
I'd feel about the same in that scenario. If MP4 gives Sylux his big moment that's a good thing as it means that all that build-up had a payoff, but at the same time I don't think what was said in this conversation was off base either as we're making posts in the present and right now those points are fair. Additionally, many of our posts do note that it's very possible that Sylux gets his grand spotlight in MP4 so generally we aren't dismissing that happening either, just considering that the character's fate is ultimately up in the air until we get that game.

For newer characters, Ring Fit Trainer and the Astral Chain Protagonists. With their Spirit Event in mind they're not in the cards for many, but after their games' success there's no doubt they'll be on everyone's radar going forward, especially if their franchises continue to get games.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yup. The method is essentially having the development staff adding new content to the game for the medium / long term, with usually a focus around Seasons / rewards. Microtransactions tend to be involved, but aren't neccessarily part of the package.

It has its benefits and drawbacks, it's just that it's heavily associated with microtransactions because of what most corps (and what most infamous examples such as Battlefront II at release) do.

10 / 10. Just need some old timey slang:

And it's a 11 / 10.

It's really difficult to say right now since we don't know Smash 6's timing. But assuming Sakurai gets a vacation / another project in between and Smash 6 is lets say a mid-to-late 2020s game:

• RFA feels given as a frontrunner, especially due to the delay between Wii Fit's release and its appearance in Smash.
  • Astral Chain likewise has the start it needed, so it could be in a good spot 4-5 years from now.
  • I definetely think that Genshin Impact has the needed staying power to be a frontrunner.
Most live service games are always online multiplayers tho. How would that work for a fighting game?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
We supposedly can't get Cinderace because of its international names?

in this video, I will now explain how this is how Eevee can still win, you see...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Quick what are Inkling (playable)‘s name in other languages barring Japanese

Dinoman96

Smash Master
We supposedly can't get Cinderace because of its international names?

in this video, I will now explain how this is how Eevee can still win, you see...
I guess the theory implies that there's no characters on FP2 that would necessitate having European localization work done for them, like a Pokemon.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
They're called Inklings everywhere, but some languages have the announcer specify their gender.
In fact, looking through the Spanish announcer clips, he has FOUR clips for Inkling. Not just "Inkling Girl/Boy!" in Spanish, but there's also "THE Inkling Girl/Boy!" too.

Pupp135

Smash Lord
I think Shadow would be a good choice for another Mii outfit from the ATs we have.

Unrelated, but one thing I thought about is that I have been underrating Rayman’s chances (I preferred Rabbids when I was younger but Rayman is fun to play as in SSF2). He has a trophy in SSBFor, and base spirits don’t disconfirm, and it is kind of surprising to not see him have a Mii, AT, or a playable position yet since we did get Ubisoft Miis during Byleth’s reveal.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
As in ABSOLUTELY no chance? Astral Chain, a Gen 8 Pokémon, maybe Ring Fit too

for extremely slim chance (non-zero) I’d say Elma
You're a man of taste with that Yoshi.
And of course, a Fire Emblem character and one of the newest Pokemon would definitely be the most speculated characters. As well as the new Xenoblade protagonist if the new game releases anytime soon.

Also Waluigi, Geno and Isaac would probably return in the speculation bubbles.

For newer characters, Ring Fit Trainer and the Astral Chain Protagonists. With their Spirit Event in mind they're not in the cards for many, but after their games' success there's no doubt they'll be on everyone's radar going forward, especially if their franchises continue to get games.
...Maybe I should have been more specific: it's easier to talk about Nintendo hits of this gen (like AC and RFA) as well as promo picks like a new Pokémon, FE or Xenoblade pick. But I wanted to make this harder, so what about third parties? More in line with SKX talking about Hades and Genshin Impact - and I agree with both of these choices 100%, by the way.

I'd argue Shovel Knight and Bomberman are also good fits. Both got a decent amount of content considering this was their franchises' debut in Smash. There's a few other indies too, like The Knight (unless Silksong somehow bombs, which I doubt rn), an Undertale rep or maybe Fallen One from Dead Cells - though that one is a bit of a reach.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Just tread carefully - it's wholly possible that this glitch's correlation to a future fighter is a lot more abstract than what we're seeing. Or just totally irrelevant in the grand scheme of things and adds up to nothing. But the speculation that this alludes to a graze mechanic... or a headshot, or an air dash, etc... it's all just speculation that could be applied in all sorts of ways and what we see in-game right now almost definitely doesn't tell the full picture.

I just think it's really a little presumptuous to be of the mindset that it's GOTTA mean Reimu if anyone because it rests on many different assumptions.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
They're called Inklings everywhere, but some languages have the announcer specify their gender.
Aw yeah baby Octoling still has a chance

i mean uh... 😳
...Maybe I should have been more specific: it's easier to talk about Nintendo hits of this gen (like AC and RFA) as well as promo picks like a new Pokémon, FE or Xenoblade pick. But I wanted to make this harder, so what about third parties? More in line with SKX talking about Hades and Genshin Impact - and I agree with both of these choices 100%, by the way.

I'd argue Shovel Knight and Bomberman are also good fits. Both got a decent amount of content considering this was their franchises' debut in Smash. There's a few other indies too, like The Knight (unless Silksong somehow bombs, which I doubt rn), an Undertale rep or maybe Fallen One from Dead Cells - though that one is a bit of a reach.
third parties

uhhhh

Hayabusa as much as I don’t like him and Doomguy may have a shot for the next Smash if all lines up. Crash if he’s not DLC for Ultimate. Same for Neku and a Namco character.

what else... Zagreus? Someone from Genshin? I wouldn’t sleep on Apex Legends either

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As far as third parties in the future, I have to believe Monster Hunter would very much be on the table, especially after Rise's success and Capcom likely wanting to continue that with another (timed?) Nintendo exclusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom