• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Also, I'd like to ask something: what games/characters do you think have no chance now, but might become frontrunners by the time Smash 6 comes around?
Obviously Smash 6 rides on a lot of hypotheticals - how much is the roster going to be scaled down? Who's going to return? Hell, it's possible the series will just take a completely different direction entirely and start prioritizing third parties over adding supporting Nintendo characters. We don't know.

BUT I think there are some characters who have a really solid chance regardless of what happens.

Waluigi is already primed up to be the next Ridley / K. Rool, Tom Nook and Octoling are major characters from rapidly growing Nintendo franchises and major successes from the Switch era, Ring Fit Trainee and Officer Howard are the stars of prominent new IPs that seem to have a bright future ahead...

I think we're reaching the point where expanding on third party series with new original characters feels more plausible too. Chun-Li and Tails are characters who I believe are bound to be in Smash eventually, and I'm certain that Ryu and Sonic aren't going anywhere. And as for new third party series, I hope they can find a way to make a Resident Evil character work because that's IMO definitely the biggest hole in the third party roster as it stands.

Out of those I do think a handful of them still have at least a small chance as DLC, but I digress.

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
So here's a theory/argument against a new Pokemon that I've seen going rounds:

View attachment 315296

The gist of it is that there's evidence that they did not bring in European teams for recording new lines for the FP2 characters, unlike the base game characters and even FP1. Which would potentially rule out characters that necessitate French/German/etc voice clips, like a new Pokemon (i.e Cinderace is called "Pyrobut" in French)

What do we make of this?
Just gonna point out. I'm glad it has a Yoshi reaction pic. Don't know where it's from though.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
...Maybe I should have been more specific: it's easier to talk about Nintendo hits of this gen (like AC and RFA) as well as promo picks like a new Pokémon, FE or Xenoblade pick. But I wanted to make this harder, so what about third parties? More in line with SKX talking about Hades and Genshin Impact - and I agree with both of these choices 100%, by the way.

I'd argue Shovel Knight and Bomberman are also good fits. Both got a decent amount of content considering this was their franchises' debut in Smash. There's a few other indies too, like The Knight (unless Silksong somehow bombs, which I doubt rn), an Undertale rep or maybe Fallen One from Dead Cells - though that one is a bit of a reach.
In that case: MH and RE for Capcom as both continue to be strong series for the company and will probably always be in discussion due to their successes. Also, if their respective franchises remain on the roster, then Alucard immediately come to mind as a potential secondary (tertiary depending on how you feel on Echoes) character that will probably get some backing due to his high popularity within his series.

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
Which characters do you all think could be counted out based on the lack of European companies credited? Like what kind of character names

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Which characters do you all think could be counted out based on the lack of European companies credited? Like what kind of character names
...European companies credited? I’m sorry I don’t think I follow

Lyncario

Smash Ace

View attachment 315296

The gist of it is that there's evidence that they did not bring in European teams for recording new lines for the FP2 characters, unlike the base game characters and even FP1. Which would potentially rule out characters that necessitate French/German/etc voice clips, like a new Pokemon (i.e Cinderace is called "Pyrobut" in French)

What do we make of this?
Ok, that's very big for the general speculation. While it more or less confirm my belief that neither Pokemon or a Sonic character were going to happen, it's at least a big blow against them, and likely to be a full on disconfirmation. This could also go against Rayman, since he's originaly a french character.

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
Where can we find which characters have official names for different languages?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Smash Wiki?

I wonder would it be too much work to add a gendered word to the end of an otherwise same name, like with Octoling (see Inkling)?

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
4chan, I saw it in a Smash thread yesterday when in my desperate “I want leaks” phase

...ps. I WANT LEAKS NOW!!! 😭
I meant the Yoshi picture... For my huge folder of Yoshi pics.

Not anyone, really. It really only applies to Pokemon because, well, they say their names in five billion languages. Eventually a Sonic character too as the "theory" said but they reused voice lines contrary to the Pokemon. Except for these two I don't see anyone that really is affected by this.

Ok, that's very big for the general speculation. While it more or less confirm my belief that neither Pokemon or a Sonic character were going to happen, it's at least a big blow against them, and likely to be a full on disconfirmation. This could also go against Rayman, since he's originaly a french character.
But he doesn't speak that much, in the most recent games he just screams "YEAH!" or "RAYMAN!". Though I might be wrong, been a while since I've played a Rayman game.

I just know that Master Chief is not called Master Chief in French.

But the point is not the characters names. The issue lies on the fact that a Pokemon would need to be dubbed, except if he has the same name in all locations (except in Japan, because it's Japan lol). Zacian and Zamazenta don't have that problem for example.

If it's just for a crowd cheer, I doubt they would have problems with simply reusing a standard chant. Pyra, Mythra, Min-Min, Sephiroth, Alex, Steve, Enderman and Zombie also all have the announcer (the one that calls their names) call them in French. So they probably already have a huge bag of names ready for all cases in all languages. Xander Mobus confirmed that he has to shout thousand of names, sometimes random, so he doesn't know who is getting in or not.

If anything what the Yoshi post implies is that they use the same method in all countries.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
A question, if we did get Echoes as individual DLC after this pass ends:
  • Would they be cheaper than PP/any of the pass peeps if bought individually?
  • IF they’re an echo of a Pass character, would owning the “base” be a requirement? I.e. Violet for Joker
1. It would be insane to try and charge as much for an Echo as for a unique fighter.
2. If we get individual echoes, they'll probably all be for base game characters, so I don't think it'll come up.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Out of curiosity what are the Sonic characters’ names in other languages?

toonito

Smash Ace
Also, I'd like to ask something: what games/characters do you think have no chance now, but might become frontrunners by the time Smash 6 comes around?
1st Party
Ring Fit Adventurer
Officer Howard
[insert new Fire Emblem here]
[insert new Pokemon here]
Waluigi
maybe new AC here? new Splatoon? XC3?

3rd Party
One or more Capcom: RE, Dante, Phoenix Wright, Monster Hunter, Chun-Li
One or more Square Enix: Neku, 2B, Lara Croft, Tifa (or non FF7 character)
Bomberman
new fighting game franchise: SSB4 had SF, SSBU had Fatal Fury, SSB6 = ? IMO it'll come down to Tekken vs Soul Calibur vs Guilty Gear
new Sega character: veteran franchise probably Shadow, Tails or Eggman. new franchise i think Arle Nadja bringing a new franchise and genre seems to be right up Sakurai's alley. I'm actually leaning towards Arle for the new Sega pick if it happens.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
I'll honestly be shocked if the next game doesn't feature a RE character. That franchise has blown up recently and I can see it maintaining enough momentum to be one of the big new base-game, third-party characters.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'll honestly be shocked if the next game doesn't feature a RE character. That franchise has blown up recently and I can see it maintaining enough momentum to be one of the big new base-game, third-party characters.
Considering RE was the most succesful Capcom franchise all this time it's pretty funny seeing momentum be used for a potential gamechanger

osby

Smash Obsessed
Out of curiosity what are the Sonic characters’ names in other languages?
Depends on which characters and which languages you're talking about. But most Sonic characters have English names regardless of the region. It's not like Pokemon or Ace Attorney.

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
Well DS only has an English dub; it never even had a Japanese one. The only names that exist for Dark Souls characters, as far as I can find, are just "Artorias" and the "Chosen Undead" etc.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
This theory is purely based on which crowd cheers are already in the game, right? There aren’t any leaks involved with this that state that European VA’s other than the crowd ones weren’t hired?

So, wouldn’t they just have either the Japanese or English crowd VA’s do the European cheers too if one of the next characters requires unique regional cheers? It’d sound a bit strange, but oh well.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
So, wouldn’t they just have either the Japanese or English crowd VA’s do the European cheers too if one of the next characters requires unique regional cheers? It’d sound a bit strange, but oh well.
Funny thing is, they already did a similar corner cut: Even though Pyra and Mythra are the names used in various European languages, they aren't pronounced exactly the same in every one. Despite this, the English crowd chants are reused for every region that doesn't call them Homura and Hikari.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
This theory is purely based on which crowd cheers are already in the game, right? There aren’t any leaks involved with this that state that European VA’s other than the crowd ones weren’t hired?

The point is not the cheers themselves.
It is that they, in fact, didn't hire the French voice actors again for all the characters released since Min-Min, when they would have needed them to dub a Pokemon since a Pokemon in France speaks in French. Cinderace says Cinderace in English, but in French he would need to say Pyrobut, thus recording plenty of voice lines. However the post shows that they were not contacted again. Except if they somehow decide to ask the Japanese crowd to pronounce Pyrobut in 50 different ways, as well as other European names, we're probably not getting a character from Pokemon.

Weird that the subject shifted to how Pokemon are called in France lol

Well, they didn't for France. Despite Byleth, Hero, Terry, Banjo & Kazooie and Joker having regional cheers, and apparently in all languages too.

They stopped having more than Korean, English and Japanese versions with Min-Min.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Does this revelation really affect anything other than a potential Pokemon?

Most game characters have the same names in NA and PAL localizations.

Well actually if true, I guess this means Isaac is done too.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Does this revelation really affect anything other than a potential Pokemon?

Most game characters have the same names in NA and PAL localizations.

Well actually if true, I guess this means Isaac is done too.
While I think Isaac is done due to the AT, that's not a big deal. It's just a crowd, and Isaac who is named Vlaad in France doesn't actually speak in French, so no need for a voice actor.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion

View attachment 315296

What do we make of this?
Heheh, you said butt.

But seriously, that is an interesting theory; part of me wishes it to be true, simply to make speculation easier.

Let's see: Ryu Hayabusa, Isaac, Bomberman, Shadow the Hedgehog, Waluigi, Ninjara, Geno, Akira Howard, gen 8 Pokemon, Ring Fit Trainee, and Monster Hunter. I'd also like to say Krystal, but I'm not sure she's even that likely for Smash 6 base game, especially with such competition as Isaac, Waluigi, and Shadow.

Who else COULD it be? Rayman? Chief? I can’t see the graze glitch (which I should reiterate affects EVERYONE and EVERY projectile) pointing to them

as for her voice I think they’d just use one from one of the fangames
Sorry, but that glitch was in the game even before the update with Pythra.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
While I think Isaac is done due to the AT, that's not a big deal. It's just a crowd, and Isaac who is named Vlaad in France speaks in English in this version too.
The issue is that if they're not hiring for any crowd chants, they're not gonna be inconsistent, they always hire the announcer VA to say the names but not changing the crowd chant means there's 2 different names for the same character

Louie G.

Smash Hero
re: Sonic in regards to this localization theory

I think something worth noting about Sonic is that his English Smash 4 / Ultimate incarnation uses Roger Craig Smith voice clips (mostly from Colors and Generations) as opposed to brand new recordings. I'm unsure how this reflects on European localization, but I think it's at least significant that they've used this shortcut before and now would be an even more practical time to do so.

I'm sure prominent characters like Tails and Eggman have more than enough voice clips to snatch up from other games in order to save time and resources through FP2 and the pandemic. Pokemon though, yeah this theory inarguably hurts them if it's accurate.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
The point is not the cheers themselves.
It is that they, in fact, didn't hire the French voice actors again for all the characters released since Min-Min, when they would have needed them to dub a Pokemon since a Pokemon in France speaks in French. Cinderace says Cinderace in English, but in French he would need to say Pyrobut, thus recording plenty of voice lines. However the post shows that they were not contacted again. Except if they somehow decide to ask the Japanese crowd to pronounce Pyrobut in 50 different ways, as well as other European names, we're probably not getting a character from Pokemon.

Weird that the subject shifted to how Pokemon are called in France lol

Well, they didn't for France. Despite Byleth, Hero, Terry, Banjo & Kazooie and Joker having regional cheers, and apparently in all languages too.

They stopped having more than Korean, English and Japanese versions with Min-Min.
First thing is that there are only 14 languages in Smash Ultimate (including variants such as American and British English.) That’s not exactly unreasonable for the VA crowd to do. These crowd cheers aren’t very long, after all.

Second thing is, do any of the FP2 characters have European voice acting in the first place? Min Min only speaks Chinese, Steve is mute, and I think Pyra and Mythra only have English and Japanese voice acting, so can anyone check if Sepiroth has European voice acting in FFVIIR, ect? This makes it hard to draw precedent.

Third and probably most important thing is that we do have European voice acting in FP2, thanks to the regional announcers.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
First thing is that there are only 14 languages in Smash Ultimate (including variants such as American and British English.) That’s not exactly unreasonable for the VA crowd to do. These crowd cheers aren’t very long, after all.

Second thing is, do any of the FP2 characters have European voice acting in the first place? Min Min only speaks Chinese, Steve is mute, and I think Pyra and Mythra only have English and Japanese voice acting, so can anyone check if Sepiroth has European voice acting in FFVIIR, ect? This makes it hard to draw precedent.

Third and probably most important thing is that we do have European voice acting in FP2, thanks to the regional announcers.
Sephiroth is voiced in Japanese for all regions of Smash. And no, there’s no British English dub for FFVIIR

the only character that has a European English voice everywhere (except Japanese) is Shulk

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
While I think Isaac is done due to the AT, that's not a big deal. It's just a crowd, and Isaac who is named Vlaad in France doesn't actually speak in French, so no need for a voice actor.
Have him and Felix share a crowd cheer like "Psy-ner-gy!" if this thing is a problem for international names. Done.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Sephiroth is voiced in Japanese for all regions of Smash. And no, there’s no British English dub for FFVIIR

the only character that has a European English voice everywhere (except Japanese) is Shulk
What I was asking is if there’s a French, Spanish, ect. Sephiroth in actual FF games. I know there’s only Japanese Sephiroth in Smash.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What I was asking is if there’s a French, Spanish, ect. Sephiroth in actual FF games. I know there’s only Japanese Sephiroth in Smash.
To my knowledge no, not dub tracks at least. JRPGs’ EU localizations rarely do not-English dubs, often sufficing with Spanish/French/German/Italian etc subtitles

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
The issue is that if they're not hiring for any crowd chants, they're not gonna be inconsistent, they always hire the announcer VA to say the names but not changing the crowd chant means there's 2 different names for the same character
It didn't happen a lot. But Wolf in English is not called by name, instead they are howling for him (bunch of furries).
Captain Falcon is also not called, instead using his signature move, Falcon Punch.
If they want to avoid calling his name, they could easily scream... I don't know, SUUUUUUUN or GOLDEN SUUUUN, I never played any game from this series.

Sure, but they didn't do it for any of the FP2 characters while they did all languages for the FP1 characters.

Sephiroth is dubbed in French, yes.
But they probably kept him in Japanese only to remain consistant with Cloud.

If what Xander said is true, then they already recorded the regional announcers BEFORE the game's release; Xander explained he didn't even know Cloud was getting in Smash, since he recorded his names and plenty of others previously.

By the way I'm sorry to make you hear Sephiroth in French. Give your ears some ice after that.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Sure, but they didn't do it for any of the FP2 characters while they did all languages for the FP1 characters.

Sephiroth is dubbed in French, yes. (video of French Sephrioth) But they probably kept him in Japanese only to remain consistant with Cloud.

If what Xander said is true, then they already recorded the regional announcers BEFORE the game's release; Xander explained he didn't even know Cloud was getting in Smash, since he recorded his names and plenty of others previously.

By the way I'm sorry to make you hear Sephiroth in French. Give your ears some ice after that.
But they haven’t really needed to yet, have they? Besides, they could hire some just in time for a new character. You know, breaking precedent and all that.

Okay, thank you for telling me about that.

Did the announcers do all of the names for FP2 that far in advance, or did they ever get brought back in to do more names? If they did do them that far in advance, then fair enough.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
But they haven’t really needed to yet, have they? Besides, they could hire some just in time for a new character. You know, breaking precedent and all that.

Okay, thank you for telling me about that.

Did the announcers do all of the names for FP2 that far in advance, or did they ever get brought back in to do more names? If they did do them that far in advance, then fair enough.
They probably did one last big batch, to cover absolutely any future DLC, when he was recording his Joker lines

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
They didn't really need to do that for any of the first pass character either to an extent. Names are the same in all languages, but they have really different pronunciations, especially in Hero's case. Pyra and Mythra are in the same case, and would have required to be recorded differently in French since you don't pronounce Pyra or Mythra the same (It's Pee-Ra and Mee-Thra in French), however they didn't.

For Smash For Wii U, he didn't come back for DLC as he had already finished his script that included Cloud before the game's release.
We don't know for sure in Ultimate how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom