• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Still banking on a double reveal. Mind hasn't changed. Especially since every Smash reveal since Sm4sh has had a double reveal at every E3.

CP10 comes out same month, CP11 comes out September-October.

Feel free to disagree.

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
I'm a big fan of Metroid but yeah, I don't get why Sylux should get in anytime soon. He might end being super cool when Prime 4 launches, and that is assuming they will still go with their original ideas they had for him after Prime 3, so for all what we know he might not even appear in Prime 4.
As of now, he isn't a character that would make people ask themselves "where is Sylux?" if for some reason he doesn't appear in Prime 4.

I might be biased against him because for me he's just another hunter, well, one that stole a metroid for some reason, and it's obvious they wanted to set him up as a bigger character, but as I said, we don't know if that's still the case.

I personally never liked his design as well, so if he comes back in Prime 4 I hope for a redesign, to be honest.
Honestly I think Weavel is a more interesting character than Sylux with an arguably better design.
I think Sylux is under going the Boba Fett effect.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
They'd all still slit his throat for that envelope...

I disagree. I think keeping people in the dark until the release is imminent causes a lot of steam to be lost in the interim, and a lot of blind meandering. I think last time when we almost always knew what was next kept the pace more lively and the attention more focused.
My personal preference would be:
Do Smash direct with full breakdown a week before character release, show trailer for NEXT character at end of direct.

id much rather them just tell us who the rest of the DLC is instead of making us wait. Its broing and irritating
That's my preference for normal fighting games. Don't try and sell me a season pass without telling me what's in it.

Smash is different though. Every new character is a HUGE EVENT with a unique cutscene trailer. There's really no comparison.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
If you could pick the Mii Costume waves coinciding with each Challenger Pack, who would you pick for costumes (for music tracks, bold denotes a new remix)? For me:
  1. Morgana Hat
  2. Persona 4 Protagonist :ultswordfighter:
  3. Teddie Hat
  4. Persona 3 Protagonist :ultswordfighter:
  5. Tails Costume :ultgunner:
  6. Knuckles Costume :ultbrawler:
  7. G Costume (A.M.S. Agent) :ultgunner:
  1. Erdrick :ultswordfighter:
  2. Martial Artist :ultbrawler:
  3. Slime Hat
  4. Veronica :ultswordfighter:
  1. Mumbo-Jumbo :ultswordfighter:
  2. Goemon :ultswordfighter: (Theme of Mystical Ninja Goemon)
  3. Proto Man :ultgunner:
  4. Zero :ultswordfighter:
  5. X :ultgunner:
  6. :nessecho: (MEGALOVANIA)
  1. Nakoruru :ultswordfighter:
  2. Ryo Sakazaki :ultbrawler:
  3. Iori Yagami :ultbrawler:
  4. Fio Germi :ultgunner:
  5. Akira Yuki :ultbrawler: (Theme of Akira - Virtua Fighter)
  6. Jacky Bryant :ultbrawler:
  1. Seiros :ultswordfighter:
  2. Alfonse :ultswordfighter:
  3. Kiran :ultgunner:
  4. Team Rocket :ultbrawler:
  5. Altaïr :ultswordfighter: (Ezio's Family)
  6. Cuphead :ultgunner: (Floral Fury)
  1. Ninjara :ultbrawler:
  2. Callie :ultbrawler:
  3. Marie :ultgunner:
  4. Euden :ultswordfighter:
  5. Heihachi :ultbrawler: (Dust Thins Out - Tekken 6)
  6. Vault Boy :ultgunner: (Main Theme - Fallout 4)
  1. Diamond Armor :ultswordfighter:
  2. Gil :ultswordfighter:
  3. MegaMan.exe :ultgunner:
  4. Bomberman :ultbrawler: (Grand Prix Battle Stage: Central)
  5. Travis Touchdown :ultswordfighter: (N.M.H.)
  6. Master Chief :ultgunner:
  1. Barret :ultgunner:
  2. Tifa :ultbrawler:
  3. Aerith :ultswordfighter:
  4. Warrior of Light :ultswordfighter:
  5. Chocobo Hat
  6. Geno :ultgunner:
  1. KOS-MOS :ultgunner:
  2. Rathalos Armor :ultswordfighter:
  3. Hunter Armor :ultswordfighter:
  4. Sir Arthur :ultswordfighter: (Ground Theme - Ghosts 'n Goblins)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
If Metroid Prime 4 finally releases and Sylux actually ends up being the coolest thing in the series I wonder how we're gonna feel looking back on this conversation.
I know I'm gonna feel nothing about it, no shame in changinf your mindset after updated information and this hypothetical scenario means we've yet to see it. I'm of the mindset that changing your mind after getting crucial new information shouldn't be as stigmatized as it is on the internet

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
only way I’ll ever play Balan is if we magically get Hayabusa as the next character... and that’s only cause I made a bet so it has like 0 chance of happening.

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
Fans: This is gonna be a big character. Crash, Waluigi, Master Chief, an absolute megaton!

Nintendo, preparing Balan and the guy from Sushi Striker:
Relax guys, the stress will kill you | Health | The Earth Times
Bruhski, any kind of acknowledgement of Musashi would be worth it

That game got done so dirty because Nintendo refuses to lower their prices and consumers refuse to judge by contents instead of cover

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Balan?

Don't be silly.

You can't even play as Balan in Balan Wonderworld. It'll be the kids. :4pacman:

(Yes I know about the costume, hush)
What are you talking about, you can play as Balan. To be accurate to the experience, every single move Balan has is a hitgrab that leads into a timed hit, though if you **** up the timing, you won't deal any damage at all

7NATOR

Smash Master
CP11's release, or reveal?

Cause I think 10's release is pretty safe for next month, but I seriously doubt 10 and 11 will come out in the same month for download.
Release

I Imagine we'll get both reveals by the time of E3, especially since that would be the 3 year anniversary of Smash Ultimate's Reveal (Not counting when it was just known as Smash Bros on Switch), So I imagine they do a Everyone is Here version 2 or something like that

Of course, even I can barely see them releasing 2 characters on the same day, unless either/both of the next 2 characters are so niche or Controversial that they need the release of the other to stand on it's own. then again Smash 4 had release multiple DLC Characters at the same time though, but Smash 4 and Ultimate are different beasts

CP10 would release by the time E3 is over, and If CP11 is able to be shown off at E3, they should be close to done as well, So that's why I expect them to release in June or July, maybe not the same day as CP10 if it's June, but maybe week(s) later)

ZelDan

Smash Master
Eh, I could still see a double reveal happening. And personally I wouldn't even be against having to wait longer for the release of CP11 too. The most hype part of a new character coming is the reveal itself and the reactions afterwards anyways (assuming said character does indeed bring hype to a notable amount of people of course).

Of course a solo reveal is also possible. Won't deny the possibility of that.

Shroob

Sup?
Release

I Imagine we'll get both reveals by the time of E3, especially since that would be the 3 year anniversary of Smash Ultimate's Reveal (Not counting when it was just known as Smash Bros on Switch), So I imagine they do a Everyone is Here version 2 or something like that

Of course, even I can barely see them releasing 2 characters on the same day, unless either/both of the next 2 characters are so niche or Controversial that they need the release of the other to stand on it's own. then again Smash 4 had release multiple DLC Characters at the same time though, but Smash 4 and Ultimate are different beasts

CP10 would release by the time E3 is over, and If CP11 is able to be shown off at E3, they should be close to done as well, So that's why I expect them to release in June or July, maybe not the same day as CP10 if it's June, but maybe week(s) later)
I think the much more logical, realistic view is they'll save them for September.

7NATOR

Smash Master
balan wonderfighter will be the first single button character, and will get in because it gives Sakurai an excuse to talk about how he made Kirby Air Ride for half of the presentation
Is this because Balan is based of NIGHTS, and NIGHTS is based of Kirby Air Ride

I think the much more logical, realistic view is they'll save them for September.
I mean, it depends on what context

If you talking about delaying the release to September, there's not really a good reason to do that

The whole thing about waiting for an event to show off an reveal is to well...show off the reveal. If CP11 were to be revealed already, there's no reason to delay all the way to September, if we already know who the character is and such. They have had a history of saving reveals for big events or Directs, but the same can't be said for the Sakurai presents. those just come at anytime

The only reason to delay is if the Development needs the extra time, but otherwise there's no reason to do that

If you're talking about Saving the reveal for September, I could see the argument for that. though to be honest, if you're following the train of thought that Nintendo wants to ride the Smash hype for as long as possible, I don't really follow that train of thought

I could maybe see if they wanted to delay everything to December since that time of year is Holiday season, so having Smash in recent memory would sell more passes, but at the rate we are going, Nintendo is not gonna do that, Since Development on the characters should finish long before that period. Saving it for September would just be a unnecessary delay for no reason, especially since in all likihood, they gonna save the more controversial character of the pass in this scenario

And Nintendo doesn't need to ride on Smash hype anymore. They got Both BOTW2 and Splatoon 3 to show off, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. Ultimate is still hype, but it's still DLC for an Old game. If you Gangbangers like BOTW2 and Splatoon 3 in the mix, those 2 games can carry Nintendo until they come out.

Shroob

Sup?
Is this because Balan is based of NIGHTS, and NIGHTS is based of Kirby Air Ride

I mean, it depends on what context

If you talking about delaying the release to September, there's not really a good reason to do that

The whole thing about waiting for an event to show off an reveal is to well...show off the reveal. If CP11 were to be revealed already, there's no reason to delay all the way to September, if we already know who the character is and such. They have had a history of saving reveals for big events or Directs, but the same can't be said for the Sakurai presents. those just come at anytime

The only reason to delay is if the Development needs the extra time, but otherwise there's no reason to do that

If you're talking about Saving the reveal for September, I could see the argument for that. though to be honest, if you're following the train of thought that Nintendo wants to ride the Smash hype for as long as possible, I don't really follow that train of thought

I could maybe see if they wanted to delay everything to December since that time of year is Holiday season, so having Smash in recent memory would sell more passes, but at the rate we are going, Nintendo is not gonna do that, Since Development on the characters should finish long before that period. Saving it for September would just be a unnecessary delay for no reason, especially since in all likihood, they gonna save the more controversial character of the pass in this scenario

And Nintendo doesn't need to ride on Smash hype anymore. They got Both BOTW2 and Splatoon 3 to show off, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. Ultimate is still hype, but it's still DLC for an Old game. If you Gangbangers like BOTW2 and Splatoon 3 in the mix, those 2 games can carry Nintendo until they come out.
You're working under the assumption that "E3 is where they revealed Ultimate, that's where they'll end it!"

I seriously doubt it.

I can see a double reveal potentially happening, but we're not going to get 2 major content patches in the same month, or that close together. Remember, these patches(usually) include balance adjustments, and they usually adjust characters every 2-3 months per update.

Also, Splatoon 3 isn't coming out until next year, while CP11 is coming out this year. They can still milk Smash very easily.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
You're working under the assumption that "E3 is where they revealed Ultimate, that's where they'll end it!"

I seriously doubt it.

I can see a double reveal potentially happening, but we're not going to get 2 major content patches in the same month, or that close together. Remember, these patches(usually) include balance adjustments, and they usually adjust characters every 2-3 months per update.

Also, Splatoon 3 isn't coming out until next year, while CP11 is coming out this year. They can still milk Smash very easily.
It is speculative. but even without taking the anniversary in mind, I do think that it would be wise to showcase the Entire FP2 to the large audience of E3

At this point, the people that haven't gotten the FP2 are likely waiting for all the characters to be revealed, and there are people out there that don't even know FP1 and FP2 are different from each other, so showcasing the Full Passes side by side, with all the characters revealed would be good in the advertisement department

I do agree that I doubt we'd get 2 major content updates within the same month, which is why I brought up July. However I will say that Hero and Banjo released within around 30 days of each other, which is comparable to a month. While it might not be the most likely scenario, it is a scenario that has had an example of it happening in the past

I know Splatoon 3 is not releasing till 2022, but they likely want to promote the games in the directs going forward, including showcasing off new info

Shroob

Sup?
It is speculative. but even without taking the anniversary in mind, I do think that it would be wise to showcase the Entire FP2 to the large audience of E3

At this point, the people that haven't gotten the FP2 are likely waiting for all the characters to be revealed, and there are people out there that don't even know FP1 and FP2 are different from each other, so showcasing the Full Passes side by side, with all the characters revealed would be good in the advertisement department

I do agree that I doubt we'd get 2 major content updates within the same month, which is why I brought up July. However I will say that Hero and Banjo released within around 30 days of each other, which is comparable to a month. While it might not be the most likely scenario, it is a scenario that has had an example of it happening in the past

I know Splatoon 3 is not releasing till 2022, but they likely want to promote the games in the directs going forward, including showcasing off new info
Considering we're 4 characters in, I severely doubt we're marketing towards "People who don't know FP1 and 2 are different", and frankly, the amount of people who are holding out to buy FP2 are a miniscule amount. Remember, a game, and its DLC sales, almost always are highest at a single point of time within the first month or so of release. Yes, there are probably people who are staunchly digging their feet in about FP2, but those people are a miniscule amount, to the point that it's not worth factoring them in.

To add to this, I'd wager if we'd do a "Pass 1 and 2 side by side", it'd be in a final Sakurai Presents, not at E3.

As for Hero and Banjo, yes, they were released shortly between one another, and yet, Banjo was still featured in the September Direct before he released.

And for the final point, I don't see how them wanting to promote Splatoon 3 factors into any of this. If they want to promote Splatoon 3, they'll promote Splatoon 3. There's no 'cap' to things they can promote at once.

Stratos

Smash Ace
As we saw in Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam, the universes of Mario and Paper Mario are different and have met. So Paper Mario as the next DLC newcomer character. Although about the difference this is already well known before the release of Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
As we saw in Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam, the universes of Mario and Paper Mario are different and have met. So Paper Mario as the next DLC newcomer character. Although about the difference this is already well known before the release of Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam.
Paper Mario fans jump for joy before Sakurai explains that the entire moveset is based on the Sticker Star Switch port

ZelDan

Smash Master
Paper Mario fans jump for joy before Sakurai explains that the entire moveset is based on the Sticker Star Switch port
Don't forget that the music tracks all come from Sticker Star
The stage comes from Color Splash, since we already got a Sticker Star stage
And Paper Mario just brings paper versions of generic enemies from SMB1 for spirits. maybe a few different colored toads as well.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Soulcalibur is a perfect video game and I want see Siegfried/Nightmare as next DLC newcomer character.
Just make sure not to give Nightmare wings. I don't know if people can handle that terror again

Considering we're 4 characters in, I severely doubt we're marketing towards "People who don't know FP1 and 2 are different", and frankly, the amount of people who are holding out to buy FP2 are a miniscule amount. Remember, a game, and its DLC sales, almost always are highest at a single point of time within the first month or so of release. Yes, there are probably people who are staunchly digging their feet in about FP2, but those people are a miniscule amount, to the point that it's not worth factoring them in.

To add to this, I'd wager if we'd do a "Pass 1 and 2 side by side", it'd be in a final Sakurai Presents, not at E3.

As for Hero and Banjo, yes, they were released shortly between one another, and yet, Banjo was still featured in the September Direct before he released.

And for the final point, I don't see how them wanting to promote Splatoon 3 factors into any of this. If they want to promote Splatoon 3, they'll promote Splatoon 3. There's no 'cap' to things they can promote at once.
For the First two points, I guess so. If they do show off both characters at E3, I will at least say that FP2 will be shown in full. I still think that showing off Both passes to the E3 audiences will help more than hurt, but perhaps it's not the most important thing

As for Hero and Banjo, I will say that Unlike the case with CP10 and CP11, Hero released at the end of July, which meant that Banjo was still in development by that time. I Imagine the release of Banjo would have been so close to the Direct that they decided to tie the Presentation at the end of the direct. but I'm not so sure they would have done that if Hero hadn't had to get delayed for balance reasons

We are operating under the assumption that CP10 will release on the same day they are shown off at E3. If CP11 is done far enough that they have Gameplay shown off, and CP10 is done with development because they would have released, I would imagine CP11 would be Completed before September, perhaps even be done in July or something. In that case I don't see why they would save the presentation for 3 months later, unless Development takes a nasty turn.

My Point of bringing up Splatoon 3 is not to say there's a cap to what things they can promote. What I'm saying is that Nintendo doesn't need Smash DLC as a crutch, to the point they be willing to delay a potentially earlier release or reveal of a character because they want it for the Direct. I Imagine alot of the reason people think they delay it to September is to keep the Smash hype going for as long as possible, but I'm saying that Nintendo is not in need to do that same thing

Plus I Imagine the "Smash Hype" at that point wouldn't even be worth it. It's likely the last character is gonna be one that is going to be either very controversial or even deflating for some portion of people (though it doesn't have to be that way), and for speculation sake, We probably just gonna burn out all discussion like a month after CP10 comes out, and then everything will fizzle until we actually see the September direct.

Stratos

Smash Ace
If they decide to put a character from Mortal Kombat as a newcomer it is a choice between Liu Kang who is the protagonist of the series and Scorpion who is the mascot of the series.

Shroob

Sup?
Just make sure not to give Nightmare wings. I don't know if people can handle that terror again

For the First two points, I guess so. If they do show off both characters at E3, I will at least say that FP2 will be shown in full. I still think that showing off Both passes to the E3 audiences will help more than hurt, but perhaps it's not the most important thing

As for Hero and Banjo, I will say that Unlike the case with CP10 and CP11, Hero released at the end of July, which meant that Banjo was still in development by that time. I Imagine the release of Banjo would have been so close to the Direct that they decided to tie the Presentation at the end of the direct. but I'm not so sure they would have done that if Hero hadn't had to get delayed for balance reasons

We are operating under the assumption that CP10 will release on the same day they are shown off at E3. If CP11 is done far enough that they have Gameplay shown off, and CP10 is done with development because they would have released, I would imagine CP11 would be Completed before September, perhaps even be done in July or something. In that case I don't see why they would save the presentation for 3 months later, unless Development takes a nasty turn.

My Point of bringing up Splatoon 3 is not to say there's a cap to what things they can promote. What I'm saying is that Nintendo doesn't need Smash DLC as a crutch, to the point they be willing to delay a potentially earlier release or reveal of a character because they want it for the Direct. I Imagine alot of the reason people think they delay it to September is to keep the Smash hype going for as long as possible, but I'm saying that Nintendo is not in need to do that same thing

Plus I Imagine the "Smash Hype" at that point wouldn't even be worth it. It's likely the last character is gonna be one that is going to be either very controversial or even deflating for some portion of people (though it doesn't have to be that way), and for speculation sake, We probably just gonna burn out all discussion like a month after CP10 comes out, and then everything will fizzle until we actually see the September direct.
I am not operating under the "assumption that CP10 will drop the same day as they are shown off at E3". If anything, they'll launch a week or 2 after with a Sakurai presents, not the same day.

Also, you're forgetting that Banjo was shown off and released in September yes, but that the Hero presentation had been recorded, according to Sakurai, "Only 2 days before." meaning that Banjo was in a near-final state whenever they recorded the Hero/Banjo presentations, and yet Banjo was still held off until September.

Hell, I'll go on record right now and say that CP10 is 100% finished, but they're not going to release them until after E3, because that's the way they scheduled it.

Characters are finished long, long before they're shown off to us via Sakurai Presents, but even though they are, they're still held back to line up with marketing. September will be the final Direct of the year. If E3 is a solo reveal, they'll reveal CP11 in September, it's really that simple.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It largely depends on what they have left. I'd assume the sole reason why Hero and Banjo were revealed together is because both characters were considerably big requests and appealed to a lot of people. Why wouldn't you want to reveal something like that when your audience is the largest you'll get all year?

Regardless, I'm still in the boat that believes we'll get a proper final presentation. It'd seem a little anticlimactic if both characters were revealed at E3 and then we recieve a Sakurai Presents shortly after where he says, "Yes, those are the last characters. Hope you liked them. I'll talk about the first today and the second three months from now."

A separate presentation feels like the best and most likely outcome for F11.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I am not operating under the "assumption that CP10 will drop the same day as they are shown off at E3". If anything, they'll launch a week or 2 after with a Sakurai presents, not the same day.

Also, you're forgetting that Banjo was shown off and released in September yes, but that the Hero presentation had been recorded, according to Sakurai, "Only 2 days before." meaning that Banjo was in a near-final state whenever they recorded the Hero/Banjo presentations, and yet Banjo was still held off until September.

Hell, I'll go on record right now and say that CP10 is 100% finished, but they're not going to release them until after E3, because that's the way they scheduled it.

Characters are finished long, long before they're shown off to us via Sakurai Presents, but even though they are, they're still held back to line up with marketing. September will be the final Direct of the year. If E3 is a solo reveal, they'll reveal CP11 in September, it's really that simple.
Well a Week or 2 would still likely put CP10 releasing in June. That's still earlier than Hero releasing in the end of July. That's why I say in the case where CP10 is pretty much finished and they show off Gameplay of CP11 at E3 as well, I see CP11 releasing sometime before September

Regarding the Sakurai presents, Banjo was in a Near-final state, but not a Final state nonetheless. I doubt the characters are fully finished by the time Sakurai presents is recorded, because they likely still in the Balancing phase or the Bug Fixing phase when they record the presentation. That's why they put the "Gameplay not final tag" even in the presentations

In any case, I do agree that they do schedule the characters to release at certain times sometimes, and I do think CP10 is most likely a case where they could be released earlier than E3, but unless we get a reveal sometime in May, is gonna be deliberately delayed to E3 to release there, because you can't release a character that isn't revealed

I'm just saying that I don't think they are gonna deliberately delay CP11 to September, especially if they are also shown off at E3. The reveal is really the important thing, The release and Presentation is much more flexible. I also do think that if they have the ability to have CP11 revealed here, They would reveal CP11 at E3, instead of saving them for whatever September Direct they have. They'll get more attention at E3

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Close, but not quite: September 4th.
oh right i remember, because people were making a big deal out of what it would mean for smash announcements depending on if banjo dropped in august or september

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Here's yet another one of my questions about kinds of characters that haven't entered the roster yet: What insect and arachnid characters would make good additions to Smash?

Edit: I guess you can add crustaceans to the mix, too, since they are covered in hard exoskeletons like insects and arachnids.
Does Mimi count?

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Here's yet another one of my questions about kinds of characters that haven't entered the roster yet: What insect and arachnid characters would make good additions to Smash?

Edit: I guess you can add crustaceans to the mix, too, since they are covered in hard exoskeletons like insects and arachnids.
Beetleman from TimeSplitters 2! He was abducted by aliens, The experiment turned his body into a beetle and now he roams the earth with unbridled rage to what was done to his beautiful body!

Beetleman.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom