• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
One of the worst things about /v/ Smash threads these days are all the people posting about god damn Porky getting in lol

Imagine Nintendo adding an all new Mother character in the year 2021, especially since when we know that Mother just barely got its second character back in Brawl (and one that was initially cut for Smash 4).

Last edited:

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
Dude, he's literally Plan B when it comes to Smash speculation. Sakurai said Ridley's too big? Better support Sylux! Speculators think spirits deconfirm? Better support Sylux! Doesn't really scream "one of the last missing Nintendo characters in Smash" to me.
Porky?

Shroob

Sup?
One of the worst things about /v/ Smash threads these days are all the people posting about god damn Porky getting in lol

Imagine Nintendo adding an all new Mother character in the year 2021, especially since when we know that Mother just barely got its second character back in Brawl (and one that was initially cut for Smash 4).
/v/ Smash threads were ever good?

Merengue

Smash Journeyman

I think he still has a chance. The only reason I go to 4chan is because they talk about Porky. Anything can happen. I believe the roster can have 1 final villain.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Eh, depends.

If Metroid Prime 4 follows up 3's story, then they're planning to do 'something' with Sylux as a character.

What that is, we don't know.
*We'll never know :4pacman:

But yeah, the problem with Sylux is that he hinges on his future relevancy. Given that FP2 was decided a good few months after MP4 was delayed, I'm pretty sure whatever he does in that game is too far away to matter for SSBU.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Eh, depends.

If Metroid Prime 4 follows up 3's story, then they're planning to do 'something' with Sylux as a character.

What that is, we don't know.
That's pretty much Sylux's problem: He's supposed to have a big upcoming role that will make him prominent, but thet just keep stringing us along as it's been over a decade with nothing to show for it. MP4 may finally be the breakthrough he needs, or it could be another complete letdown and we won't know until that game gets out of development hell.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
That's pretty much Sylux's problem: He's supposed to have a big upcoming role that will make him prominent, but thet just keep stringing us along as it's been over a decade with nothing to show for it. MP4 may finally be the breakthrough he needs, or it could be another complete letdown and we won't know until that game gets out of development hell.
I would have zero problems with people supporting Sylux if the game that's supposedly going to make a big deal out of him actually comes out and makes that big deal.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Especially given Metroid's greater prominence in the West, Sylux always struck me far more as a base game fighter than one for DLC. Nintendo's willing to do the American/European favored first party characters at times (Little Mac, Ridley), but rarely as paid downloadable content.

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
I would have zero problems with people supporting Sylux if the game that's supposedly going to make a big deal out of him actually comes out and makes that big deal.
Why would you have a problem with someone supporting a character?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Why would you have a problem with someone supporting a character?
I don't think you're in a position to say this when you told me "nah too niche" in response to me ******** about the lack of continued Isaac support. Then again that's not the only thing that makes it ironic.

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
I don't think you're in a position to say this when you told me "nah too niche" in response to me ******** about the lack of continued Isaac support. Then again that's not the only thing that makes it ironic.
just teasing bro. no matter what position im in, i'll still say it

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Like people said, Sylux support is strange because it's predicated on a potential future development of the series which gives the character a bigger role, and yet the popularity has predated the actual, currently hypothetical event that it invokes. Right now, Sylux's role in the series really isn't that prolific.

I mean, the support is based off of where the series might go. But the series actually needs to get there before its effects will disseminate to Smash. He really shouldn't be seen as a realistic part of the conversation until that event actually transpires, and yet within speculation he's been entertained for quite a while.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Eh, I don't believe Porky's support base is 100% a plan B. It couldn't have been a plan B for a Mother newcomer in the Smash 4 era, that's for sure.
Porky is Plan A as far as I’m concerned, I can’t think of any other Mother character more suited to be the third character than the rival of both Ness and Lucas. He’s a very clear step forward here if they were ever going to take it (as of now, I doubt it).

Sylux is coming off the coattails of a series where all of its major antagonists are represented in some fashion and people are left wondering “what’s next?” As others have stated Sylux’s influence on MP4 is yet to be seen, but I feel like Metroid has pretty much taken full advantage of every major component of its cast by now (well, we could still use a unique Dark Samus).

SKX31

Smash Master
At this point I've settled my general expectations about fighters and just hope the last two ones make for a fun experience when using if nothing else. I've never played either Fire Emblem or Xenoblade but Byleth and Pyra/Mythra are enjoyable to control in Ultimate, so if the final pair are as fun as them, I'd consider it a overall positive even if the source games/franchises they're from hold no interest to me.
Absolutely. Now there are things about the DLC characters' implementation I'm not a huge fan of: Byleth having amazing upward attacks but only one option to reliably cover downwards - and that's not D-Air, that's N-Air - as an example since it overly emphasises his / her offense but gives him / her less defensive options. Which Byleth kinda needs.* But if I did that I'd be here all day.

So still, I'm in the same camp. What matters is that they're fun to play: personally I still enjoyed playing Byleth because I like what Sakurai and co. went for - strategic focus and knowing what to use when. It also helps that Sakurai are (re)introducing mechanics to help that goal, such as gliding and transformations.

*(Yeah, sure, not that much else one can do with an axe swing, but I feel D-Air is kinda overkill since Byleth has a lot of kill moves already. It could use a speed buff / power nerf. It could still be potent, just not as crushing.)

Poor dude's been through a lot already.
He gave Smash - and got from Smash - despair.

:4pacman:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It's possible to genuinely like/want a character just from seeing their design and having a basic idea of their abilities, which is why Sylux supporters should be taken seriously.

That being said, I also think it's worth recognizing that he was most popular when people were desperate for another Metroid rep. Ridley seemed like a lost cause, and Dark Samus didn't seem to have a future in the series. The support for Sylux has gone down a bit, and I think it's easy to understand why.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I'm a big fan of Metroid but yeah, I don't get why Sylux should get in anytime soon. He might end being super cool when Prime 4 launches, and that is assuming they will still go with their original ideas they had for him after Prime 3, so for all what we know he might not even appear in Prime 4.
As of now, he isn't a character that would make people ask themselves "where is Sylux?" if for some reason he doesn't appear in Prime 4.

I might be biased against him because for me he's just another hunter, well, one that stole a metroid for some reason, and it's obvious they wanted to set him up as a bigger character, but as I said, we don't know if that's still the case.

I personally never liked his design as well, so if he comes back in Prime 4 I hope for a redesign, to be honest.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's possible to genuinely like/want a character just from seeing their design and having a basic idea of their abilities, which is why Sylux supporters should be taken seriously.

That being said, I also think it's worth recognizing that he was most popular when people were desperate for another Metroid rep. Ridley seemed like a lost cause, and Dark Samus didn't seem to have a future in the series. The support for Sylux has gone down a bit, and I think it's easy to understand why.
I believe there are people who genuinely like Sylux, it's just not going to amount to anything until either this role that the upswell has hinged on manifests, or they can push the popularity to the point where a character as currently minor as Sylux gets included. Either way, it's not in the cards for this game.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I'm a big fan of Metroid but yeah, I don't get why Sylux should get in anytime soon. He might end being super cool when Prime 4 launches, and that is assuming they will still go with their original ideas they had for him after Prime 3, so for all what we know he might not even appear in Prime 4.
As of now, he isn't a character that would make people ask themselves "where is Sylux?" if for some reason he doesn't appear in Prime 4.

I might be biased against him because for me he's just another hunter, well, one that stole a metroid for some reason, and it's obvious they wanted to set him up as a bigger character, but as I said, we don't know if that's still the case.

I personally never liked his design as well, so if he comes back in Prime 4 I hope for a redesign, to be honest.
I like Sylux’s color scheme. It reminds me of the mech from Neon Genesis Evangelion. I’m not really invested in the character myself though but he’s cool enough.

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion

I'm proud to share the same wanted character as the worst place to actually talk about videogames on the internet.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I like Sylux’s color scheme. It reminds me of the mech from Neon Genesis Evangelion. I’m not really invested in the character myself though but he’s cool enough.

Yeah, the color scheme is cool. My point was more about the design itself. Maybe it's just me but he never felt very original visually speaking. Like, at first glance I couldn't tell if he's using an armour or his body is just like that.
I don't know, for me he looks uninspired and kinda bland.

His color scheme is the only good thing I find in his design.

I don't have anything against him, it's just that he produces a big amount of indifference to me. I understand others like him and genuinely want him in Smash, and maybe I'll be on that train in the future when Prime 4 comes out, but as of now I have a hard time seeing his appeal.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The thing that throws me about Porky is even if for some reason they had decided to include him, and that's why he was a no-show in base, those intentions would've unfolded in FP1, because FP2 has freely overlapped with base.

I know there is support for the character that extends farther back than just Ultimate, but the crux of the speculation that has surrounded him revolves around his absence. I mean, sometimes it is just an Absolutely Safe Capsule.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
As much as I love EarthBound and its characters, it's hard for me to get invested in discussions about a potential third rep when the franchise has been dormant for about a decade and a half. It'll be brushed aside for more active franchises every time Sakurai sits down to select new characters.

Until we get a new game, a Ninten Echo is a best case scenario IMO, and even that sort of seems unlikely considering the other potential Echoes he'd be up against.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah, the color scheme is cool. My point was more about the design itself. Maybe it's just me but he never felt very original visually speaking. Like, at first glance I couldn't tell if he's using an armour or his body is just like that.
I don't know, for me he looks uninspired and kinda bland.

His color scheme is the only good thing I find in his design.

I don't have anything against him, it's just that he produces a big amount of indifference to me. I understand others like him and genuinely want him in Smash, and maybe I'll be on that train in the future when Prime 4 comes out, but as of now I have a hard time seeing his appeal.
Fwiw, I agree with you. I don't think his design is bad, it's certainly not terrible, I just think it's a little lifeless for a character of note. The colour scheme is neat, obviously my favourite part is the neon, but he sort of has the design becoming of a generic enemy, imo. Just a little plain. I think there's potential to improve upon it, and I hope that's a route they take if they want to make him a more prominent part of the series.

I mean, Samus has had any number of redesigned looks. As has Ridley. I would hope that tracks to Sylux as well.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Is it possible that some people just want Sylux because they like him and think he’s cool? It doesn’t always have to be about promotion.
It's possible.

I just feel that currently, Sylux is hyped because of their connection and hatred to the Galatic Federation and Samus, they have been slowly hyped since Metroid Prime 3 when the ship similar to theirs follows Samus in the 100% Ending epilogue and there are Nintendo developers who do want to make more story and connection between them and Samus. For some Metroid fans, Sylex has the potential to be the next major character antagonistic to Samus after Ridley, Dark Samus and Mother Brain.

And that's part of the problem I see with the hype for them. Their hype isn't coming from Sylux's actual character so far, it's more from what they can be like. We don't know what they'll be like or what the reception to them will be like until Metroid Prime 4 finally comes out. What's happening to Sylux can possibly turn into what happened to Adam when he was being hyped up when Other M had not been released yet.
I do honestly hope that any plan they possibly have for Sylux does work out for them. But that's also depending on whether or not Sylux will be in the final product of Metroid Prime 4. Like Prime 4 had Sylux in mind at the start due to Federation Force's epilogue, but Metroid Prime 4 went into a big revision as Nintendo did not like whatever was with the previous project and any plans for Sylux may have been scrapped. I hope it's not the case, but also remember to hype responsibly.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Come this time tomorrow, in exactly 1 month's time, E3 will be winding down.

It's cliche and trope-y as hell to say, but it's always surreal knowing we'll know the next character then. We're in complete ignorance as of now, and by this time next month, we're already gonna be on the

"Where CP11"

1621032799660.png

Train, and whoever CP10 was will already be 'old news', assuming that CP11 isn't shown off as well.

Paraster

Smash Lord
Besides challenger pack 10, what does everyone want to see revealed at E3? Personally I'd like to see Marvel vs Capcom 2 revealed on switch. (Unlikely I know, but a man can dream)
Almost certainly won't happen so close to Miitopia, but I'd love a Tomodachi Life rerelease/sequel.
Other than that, can't really think of any full-on reveals I'd like, though I'm hoping for new trailers for NEO: The World Ends With You and Splatoon 3.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
There's also the third category of Ayumi supporters: those of us who know nothing about her, but support her because a schoolgirl beating up Sephiroth will never not be funny
This right is partially why I support so many obscure/niche characters for Smash unironically. Granted, I knew a bit about Ayumi before wanting her in Smash, but I'd say it still applies here.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Here's yet another one of my questions about kinds of characters that haven't entered the roster yet: What insect and arachnid characters would make good additions to Smash?

Edit: I guess you can add crustaceans to the mix, too, since they are covered in hard exoskeletons like insects and arachnids.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Come this time tomorrow, in exactly 1 month's time, E3 will be winding down.

It's cliche and trope-y as hell to say, but it's always surreal knowing we'll know the next character then. We're in complete ignorance as of now, and by this time next month, we're already gonna be on the

"Where CP11"

View attachment 315241

Train, and whoever CP10 was will already be 'old news', assuming that CP11 isn't shown off as well.
Well one month from now it's also possible we'll just be done with speculation for Ultimate. Unless you want to talk about balance patches and Mii costumes.

Here's yet another one of my questions about kinds of characters that haven't entered the roster yet: What insect and arachnid characters would make good additions to Smash?

Edit: I guess you can add crustaceans to the mix, too, since they are covered in hard exoskeletons like insects and arachnids.
Almost positive Waluigi is actually just a giant alien spider like Pennywise.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Well one month from now it's also possible we'll just be done with speculation for Ultimate. Unless you want to talk about balance patches.
Assuming we get both, yeah.

We'll still be able to squeeze some blood out of that stone for Mii costumes and movesets, but yeah, pretty much. Can't say I'd be upset if speculation is finally kill at E3, knowing who the last 2 are would be great.

Granted, I'm gonna remain somewhat cautious about a double drop still regardless.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

The main trio of Bug Fables would be a great combination/switch out character. Good mix of attacks and some interesting mechanics to be utilized depending on what direction one went with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom