• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry98

Smash Journeyman
Yes, but unlike those 2 those aren't promised to release this year and in MP4's case is explicitly so early in development they're still hiring. The concerning bit is that a game that is supposed to come out within this year has virtually no information on it so either it's got news at E3 and they're finally starting its hype cycle... or it's delayed.

A game announced at the Switch reveal event... delayed even further.
View attachment 315131
Hiring in the middle of development is common practice though.
I don't think Prime 4 is still in the early stages... I'm actually confident that we will see something by the end of the year and then it could be released somewhere next year

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
Yes, but unlike those 2 those aren't promised to release this year and in MP4's case is explicitly so early in development they're still hiring. The concerning bit is that a game that is supposed to come out within this year has virtually no information on it so either it's got news at E3 and they're finally starting its hype cycle... orit's delayed.

A game announced at the Switch reveal event... delayed even further.
View attachment 315131
Maybe I'm giving too much credit to Atlus, but if they were confident enough to announce the year of release months after the pandemic had started, on top of announcing from the get-go that they were giving it a full EFIGS localization and a simultaneous global launch for the first time in their history, then I don't really have any reason to expect a delay... yet.
I do agree that if it doesn't show up at E3 then we're not getting it this year, but until then I don't really have any reason to believe that the game won't release this year (though I don't expect it to hit the shelves before October at the earliest, and December it's probably the safest bet for a release month).

"But Atlus has a history of delaying stuff"... as far as I know Persona 5 was the only major game the delayed and that was to attribute to the game's troubled development and the fact that the company almost went bankrupt before being bought by Sega.
Atlus real vice when it comes to game announcements is revealing stuff way too early (what even is Project RE : Fantasy?) but as you already pointed out, SMT V already went through that by being announced 4 years ago.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
Well I'm still waiting on actual SMTV gameplay.

It's uh... supposed to release this year and we... don't know anything about it.
I mean look at Halo Infinite: Game was supposed to release half a year ago with the Series X and though we know a little more, we STILL haven't even seen any multiplayer, the biggest aspect of Halo. Devs are just weird.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Devs are just weird.
I assume it's because they're trying to strike balance between the gradually growing development times due to video games increasingly getting bigger and more complex and fans/executives demanding to know about games the moment they start development.

Like, if devs announce a game early, people complain about having to wait too much for it. If they announce it late, people complain about not having enough time to hype (and it doesn't help how some fans declare their franchise dead if it doesn't get anything for a couple of years).

Obviously, there is a balance between the two but it's easier said than done when you're working with big projects with no certain deadline.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Like, if devs announce a game early, people complain about having to wait too much for it. If they announce it late, people complain about not having enough time to hype (and it doesn't help how some fans declare their franchise dead if it doesn't get anything for a couple of years).
In that case, isnt it best to stay quiet and say "**** you" to anyone that wants you to annouce it now and only announce when, idk ready? Of course for situations like Animal Crossing where it was all ready to be released but then the pandemic hit I can understand why it would be delayed

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
So Famicom Detective Club's remakes are out now, I'll be honest, it's weird that we're going to enter an era where Ayumi support can come from genuine love of the character snd games instead of "Well Sakurai said", like how we'd always get new Pokemon and Fire Emblem support threads made on the day of a character's announcement, not out of genuine interest but rather "If this happens people are gonna say I'm soooo smart for calling it".
As someone who played the Super Famicom FDC translation back in 2017, it is a little insulting that you're insinuating that no one had a legitimate interest in Ayumi outside of Sakurai's comments, especially since those comments from Sakurai were quite obscure prior to this.

The last thing the Smash community needs is to go full "no true Scotsman" and start making wide-reaching assumptions about the general motivation of character-specific fans and labeling some of those reasons as more or less legitimate.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Weird question, but how does Andross go from Monkey head to Robot head? are they the same thing or is one like a copy or something
Well, the robot heads (except for that half-Karazoa statue head are just decoys, while the monkey heads are the real Androsses.

I was looking at the roster today and we really need some more super fat memeable meaty heavyweights, I'd kill to see one in FP2. Any suggestions?
Let's see, there's:

E. Honda and Rufus from Street Fighter
Quina Quen from Final Fantasy 9
Morshu from the CD-i Zelda games
Snorlax
Don Genie from F-Zero
Bear Hugger and King Hippo from Punch-Out!!
Big the Cat and Dr. Eggman (especially if either of them pilot the Eggwalker, which they both did in at least one instance)
Gruntilda Winkybunion
The fat forms of Metal Slug characters
Ego from Annventure

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
As someone who played the Super Famicom FDC translation back in 2017, it is a little insulting that you're insinuating that no one had a legitimate interest in Ayumi outside of Sakurai's comments, especially since those comments from Sakurai were quite obscure prior to this.

The last thing the Smash community needs is to go full "no true Scotsman" and start making wide-reaching assumptions about the general motivation of character-specific fans and labeling some of those reasons as more or less legitimate.
I mean, when those people are introduced to the game solely because of those Sakurai comments, something that's common knowledge on this thread, yet have not even tried to experience the game with an emulator and are looking forward to finally experience something they praised highly for the first time, it doesn't feel genuine. I've said this about character I've ended up really liking and then wanting in Smash myself too, I thought it was ridiculous to say you'd want to see Edelgard in Smash when all we had was her name and design to go off of. And like it or not, you know I'm right about there being people who only say "Oh yeah I'd love to see X in Smash" solely because they can brag about being right. My only requirement to take a character request seriously is to have at least some basic knowledge of the character. For some reason, despite Ayumi being surprisingly popular for a character of her status, I've never heard anyone say what they like about the games, the characters, the music, etc. Only "Well, Sakurai considered her!" and "FDC was influential". It's just like the "huge Earthbound fan excited to play Earthbound for the first time" meme, only in this case, first time being able to say something about your experiences with the game. Doesn't help I've peeked into the Ayumi thread in the past and saw everyone ask the one person there who actually knew what she was talking about how they should go about the games. Besides, it's a good thing people can actually say what exactly they like about the series now

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
I mean, when those people are introduced to the game solely because of those Sakurai comments, something that's common knowledge on this thread, yet have not even tried to experience the game with an emulator and are looking forward to finally experience something they praised highly for the first time, it doesn't feel genuine. I've said this about character I've ended up really liking and then wanting in Smash myself too, I thought it was ridiculous to say you'd want to see Edelgard in Smash when all we had was her name and design to go off of. And like it or not, you know I'm right about there being people who only say "Oh yeah I'd love to see X in Smash" solely because they can brag about being right. My only requirement to take a character request seriously is to have at least some basic knowledge of the character. For some reason, despite Ayumi being surprisingly popular for a character of her status, I've never heard anyone say what they like about the games, the characters, the music, etc. Only "Well, Sakurai considered her!" and "FDC was influential". It's just like the "huge Earthbound fan excited to play Earthbound for the first time" meme, only in this case, first time being able to say something about your experiences with the game. Doesn't help I've peeked into the Ayumi thread in the past and saw everyone ask the one person there who actually knew what she was talking about how they should go about the games. Besides, it's a good thing people can actually say what exactly they like about the series now
I can sort of understand what you mean. I've always found Urshifu support weird for example. I mean not now but before Isle of Armor even came out. Go look up the thread right now, the creator says they even rushed to be the first one to make it and concedes nothing is known about the character so they couldn't even make a moveset lol.

Now I think for whatever reason, everyone is valid for wanting whoever even if you honestly dearly want Rudy the Clown from Wario Land 3 or the Cursor from Cookie Clicker. I genuinely want Amogus Impostor but I know that is literally impossible for Smash Ultimate and the game will lose relevancy most likely by Smash 6. But I have definitely seen firsthand people that desperately want to say they called a character for Smash so they can feel like they fit in with the other cool kids who have their "most wanted."

Anyways, I've gotta get back to playing Famicom Detective Club: The Missing Heir on the Nintendo Switch.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I can sort of understand what you mean. I've always found Urshifu support weird for example. I mean not now but before Isle of Armor even came out. Go look up the thread right now, the creator says they even rushed to be the first one to make it and concedes nothing is known about the character so they couldn't even make a moveset lol.

Now I think for whatever reason, everyone is valid for wanting whoever even if you honestly dearly want Rudy the Clown from Wario Land 3 or the Cursor from Cookie Clicker. I genuinely want Amogus Impostor but I know that is literally impossible for Smash Ultimate and the game will lose relevancy most likely by Smash 6. But I have definitely seen firsthand people that desperately want to say they called a character for Smash so they can feel like they fit in with the other cool kids who have their "most wanted."

Anyways, I've gotta get back to playing Famicom Detective Club: The Missing Heir on the Nintendo Switch.
See, I agree, it's just that in the case we're talking about, people didn't seem to want Ayumi but rather want to be right.

Enjoy, I'm stuck on chapter 4 because the game's surprisingly archaic, though the actual mystery's interesting enough to keep me going

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
There's also the third category of Ayumi supporters: those of us who know nothing about her, but support her because a schoolgirl beating up Sephiroth will never not be funny
Apparently she knows nagito combat. That's like with a glaive or something idk I googled it. She might just give his range a run for its money.

SKX31

Smash Master
Animal Crossing was delayed right before the pandemic, actually releasing just as COVID-19 went worldwide, making it one of the few titles whose profits might have actually benefited from the crisis.
That was a industry wide trend though - video games were on the whole one of the few areas that profited from people staying at home. This not only benefited Nintendo games like AC and RFA, but also games like Plague Inc. and Doom Eternal. Services also did really well, such as Steam. Yes, the industry did suffer partially due to the cancellation of live events, and yes, delays did occur as a result of the pandemic. Still, it was able to adapt to a large extent because most studios could shift to a work-from-home method.

I can't believe Banjo-Kazooie's echo is a pair of anime schoolkids smh
Enter Adobe Photoshop 2021 and stretch them out
Makes more sense than Yooka-Laylee...

Seriously, no offense, but how can a lizard and a bat work as an Echo for a bear and a bird?
I didn't think we could top ":ultbanjokazooie: = :ultduckhunt: Echo", but here we are.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
If coming a Pokémon character as DLC newcomer I hope for Cinderace.
I would love if we got Gengar, Cofagrigus, Golisopod, or Orbeetle. I’d say those are my top four favorite Pokémon ever. Unfortunately I think the only one of those four with any shot is Gengar and it would probably upset people to get another Kanto Pokémon. Cofagrigus’ only chance is if we somehow get Ghetsis and it is one of his Pokémon. Luckily, my other two favorites from Gen 5 make some sense with Ghetsis (Zoroark and Kyurem) so that’s something at least. The same is true for Golisopod and Guzma. I can’t think of any excuse to add Orbeetle other than the fact that it is cool.

Out of semi-realistic options, I would love to see either Toxtricity or Garchomp.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I always wondered, was that "Earthbound fan excited to play Earthbound for first time" based of a true story or something? I always wondered where that meme came from

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I always wondered, was that "Earthbound fan excited to play Earthbound for first time" based of a true story or something? I always wondered where that meme came from
It's from a site that's basically the gaming equivalent of the Onion, as far as I can tell:

(the site uses some NSFW language in article titles)

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'm still really really not convinced on Ayumi, but if by some chance we did get her I hope Sakurai opts for her classic look. I'd really love to see a character stylized after old school 80s-90s anime... meanwhile I'm not too big on the artstyle of the remakes, but it obviously works for what they set out to do.

As far as her odds go I'm just not convinced we're in a great position to get any sort of promo Nintendo character. Their output through 2020-2021 is admittedly extremely weak and doesn't pose a whole lot of viable candidates for a Byleth situation (since most of those games are already represented through a character on the roster as is).

I like that people are willing to give attention to a character like Ayumi, like seriously I miss the times where we could talk about rando Nintendo characters like this and I'm super into it, but it feels like a bit of a desperate attempt to just find something that Nintendo could promote right now. Color me optimistic (sorta? I think there are still good candidates but I digress, most people come at this from an 'underwhelming' angle) but I honestly think we're done with Switch-era first parties at this point. And yeah I know Ayumi is a Famicom character but, unfortunately, we wouldn't be talking about her without a Switch game.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'm still really really not convinced on Ayumi, but if by some chance we did get her I hope Sakurai opts for her classic look. I'd really love to see a character stylized after old school 80s-90s anime... meanwhile I'm not too big on the artstyle of the remakes, but it obviously works for what they set out to do.

As far as her odds go I'm just not convinced we're in a great position to get any sort of promo Nintendo character. Their output through 2020-2021 is admittedly extremely weak and doesn't pose a whole lot of viable candidates for a Byleth situation (since most of those games are already represented through a character on the roster as is). I like that people are willing to give attention to a character like Ayumi, like seriously I miss the times where we could talk about rando Nintendo characters like this and I'm super into it, but it feels like an attempt to just find something that Nintendo could promote right now. Color me optimistic (?) but I honestly think we're done with Switch-era promotional first parties at this point.
I think the word you’re looking for is pessimistic

also,
1621016527337.jpeg

says hi

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Nah I did mean optimistic, but I added the question mark because it's not that reflective of my actual feelings toward those characters. I like Ayumi, I like Octoling, I like King Boo or whoever else, but seeing how the prospect of an additional first party to close out the pass is generally treated as an obligatory "lame" pick I was just saying how I don't believe we're really due for that kind of thing again. Not to generalize because I know it isn't accurate to the attitude of a lot of people here, but a lot of current first party speculation is grounded in some degree of pessimism.

As for Octoling yeah, if I had to bank on a first party character that would be it, but those Squid Sister Mii costumes do throw a bit of a wrench in that for me.

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I definitely do feel Ayumi is someone we should keep a look-out for in terms of 1st party reps and promotion on Nintendo's part given that remake.
Really doubt she has a shot at all. We didn't have any Nintendo character that has been promoting a game released except Byleth, but that's because Fire Emblem is a special case and even then they didn't release him along Three Houses, but months later. Meanwhile the pass might end sooner than expected.

also,
View attachment 315188
says hi
I'm also gonna be pessimistic and say that an Octoling is probably not happening for this pass as they already added a bunch of Splatoon costumes in the same pass. I would find it odd that they would add a Splatoon character after releasing two Splatoon costumes earlier in the DLC.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
There's also the third category of Ayumi supporters: those of us who know nothing about her, but support her because a schoolgirl beating up Sephiroth will never not be funny
Honestly that's so me right there. I'll support any fighter lol. Every character starts off with support on default from me and there has to be a reason for me to stop wanting them because usually there's something hilarious to be found in each and every one of them.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Honestly that's so me right there. I'll support any fighter lol. Every character starts off with support on default from me and there has to be a reason for me to stop wanting them because usually there's something hilarious to be found in each and every one of them.
That’s a great attitude to have. I’m pretty much the same way. Obviously there are some characters I want more than others but I always try to look at the bright side of anyone because pretty much every character has something fun to offer.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'm just one of those guys with really low standards. A series having decent base game representation and/or recent minor representation is basically the only thing that makes me cut off a character from my predictions. Well, that and not having much activity nowadays. Literally anything else will at least get some sort of consideration from me.

I dunno. Maybe it's just because there's so many potential options I've given up on attempting accuracy. Or maybe it's because I've been satisfied with everyone so far and there's a 99% chance I'll be satisfied with whoever we get next, so I don't really need to predict anyone if it's all the same to me. I'm just open by default. Maybe it's to my detriment, but eh, at least I considered the option :drshrug:

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I can't help but shake the feeling that next week is gonna be a FDC Remake spirit promotion event.
Yeah, that's the thing about supporting someone from a recent release. Even if you subscribe to the Promo Pick Theory, there's always the Spirit Events dangling over your head. I'd go as far to say that Spirit Events are part of the reason why Ayumi's been getting so much attention; It shot down just about every new Switch game that could be considered, so she's left with barely any competition to fight over the spotlight with.

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
I made a list of the Nintendo Characters that are left

1.Cinderace/Rilaboom/Decidueye
2.Adeleine(Kirby)
3.Sylux
4.Octoling
5.Ayumi Tachibana
6.Bandana Waddle Dee
7.Porky

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Dude, he's literally Plan B when it comes to Smash speculation. Sakurai said Ridley's too big? Better support Sylux! Speculators think spirits deconfirm? Better support Sylux! Doesn't really scream "one of the last missing Nintendo characters in Smash" to me.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
At this point I've settled my general expectations about fighters and just hope the last two ones make for a fun experience when using if nothing else. I've never played either Fire Emblem or Xenoblade but Byleth and Pyra/Mythra are enjoyable to control in Ultimate, so if the final pair are as fun as them, I'd consider it a overall positive even if the source games/franchises they're from hold no interest to me.

Shroob

Sup?
Dude, he's literally Plan B when it comes to Smash speculation. Sakurai said Ridley's too big? Better support Sylux! Speculators think spirits deconfirm? Better support Sylux! Doesn't really scream "one of the last missing Nintendo characters in Smash" to me.
Eh, depends.

If Metroid Prime 4 follows up 3's story, then they're planning to do 'something' with Sylux as a character.

What that is, we don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom