• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technomage

Smash Champion
The main trio of Bug Fables would be a great combination/switch out character. Good mix of attacks and some interesting mechanics to be utilized depending on what direction one went with.
Ah, I remember that game now; yeah, that would be a cool idea, plus it could make a decent substitute for a playable Paper Mario, which the roster feels incomplete without.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I’m legit curious tho

have they ever, EVER done final reveals for DLC of anything at E3? E3 to me seems more of a place of beginnings, not endings

idk am I making sense here
To be fair, at least as far as Smash goes, it’s just never lined up accordingly. This would be the first E3 to close out a game’s roster / DLC, but it’s also the first time it synced up where that would be feasible.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'm definitely open to the idea of a double reveal this E3, I'm just somewhat skeptical it'll happen.

Feels like they're gonna milk this for as long as they can tbh, and if Directs are back in full force, a September one is like 99% happening.
A September Direct is a definitely a given. Outside the pandemic year its become a staple and I have little doubt that we'll get the announcement of a Sakurai presents in that (if we get a double reveal at E3) or the announcement of fighter 11 (if we get a solo reveal at E3).

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I’m pretty much 50/50 on a double reveal for now. The reason I was skeptical from the start is how closely each FP2 character’s release has followed their reveal, and I’m wondering if they want to keep that going rather than making people wait to get their hands on a character they already know is coming.

Because honestly I think that works a lot better than how they handled FP1.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm split on a double reveal. Neither option seems that much likelier than the other to me.

But, something to keep in mind is they might designate a big chunk of their E3 presentation to Zelda. I would guess we might even get something like E3 2018, where basically half was Smash - only this half will be Zelda games.

To that end, I could see them opening with Smash, like they often do, but if the entire latter half is spoken for, then a second Smash trailer wouldn't fit very well in the presentation. And it's not like they need to have both.

Of course, there could also be a Zelda Direct on its own, but the closer we get to E3, the less likely that becomes. And we're already getting kinda close.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm split on a double reveal. Neither option seems that much likelier than the other to me.

But, something to keep in mind is they might designate a big chunk of their E3 presentation to Zelda. I would guess we might even get something like E3 2018, where basically half was Smash - only this half will be Zelda games.

To that end, I could see them opening with Smash, like they often do, but if the entire latter half is spoken for, then a second Smash trailer wouldn't fit very well in the presentation. And it's not like they need to have both.

Of course, there could also be a Zelda Direct on its own, but the closer we get to E3, the less likely that becomes. And we're already getting kinda close.
Call me crazy, but at this point, I severely doubt we'd get a standalone Zelda presentation. Not impossible, but it's about as probable as them dropping CP10 now, which isn't likely.

If, and only if, they have BotW2 ready to show off, it feels like they'd mainly just save it for E3, dropping news now would feel odd.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You know if it does end soon

I just hope I get at least ONE of my most wanteds

I’m still salty that only one of my ballot picks made it and it was a veteran (Snake). The other two... one got relegated to a Final Smash literally first thing, the other is still missing and has a strong chance of being Spirit Event’d

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Because honestly I think that works a lot better than how they handled FP1.
I disagree. I think keeping people in the dark until the release is imminent causes a lot of steam to be lost in the interim, and a lot of blind meandering. I think last time when we almost always knew what was next kept the pace more lively and the attention more focused.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Part of the thing with Zelda is how much there is in this 35th anniversary beyond BOTW2, Age of Calamity DLC, and the Skyward Sword port. If there's not much beyond that then a showcase at E3 makes sense. But if there's potentially remake/s, Cadence of Hyrule like spin-offs, or even a lot of merch to show off, a Zelda direct is not out of the question.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Here's yet another one of my questions about kinds of characters that haven't entered the roster yet: What insect and arachnid characters would make good additions to Smash?

Edit: I guess you can add crustaceans to the mix, too, since they are covered in hard exoskeletons like insects and arachnids.
I don’t think any are particularly likely but I’d love a bug character in Smash. I love a lot of bug designs and many of my favorite Pokémon are bug type. A few I would be hyped to see are Golisopod, Orbeetle, Bugzzy, Kha’Zix, and Kuwagust Anchus. If you count the Zerg as bugs, then Sarah Kerrigan or a hydralisk would be awesome. If we’re including crustaceans, I also really love Kabutops.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Call me crazy, but at this point, I severely doubt we'd get a standalone Zelda presentation. Not impossible, but it's about as probable as them dropping CP10 now, which isn't likely.

If, and only if, they have BotW2 ready to show off, it feels like they'd mainly just save it for E3, dropping news now would feel odd.
No, I don't think we will either. I think E3 is going to be a Zelda blowout with other assorted announcements. But I think they have enough upcoming Zelda content, and an anniversary which afaik they've yet to acknowledge, to justify a Zelda Direct.

Shroob

Sup?
I disagree. I think keeping people in the dark until the release is imminent causes a lot of steam to be lost in the interim, and a lot of blind meandering. I think last time when we almost always knew what was next kept the pace more lively and the attention more focused.
And I disagree here.

I get where you're coming from, but I think Smash dlc works best in a "Strike while the iron's hot" kind of deal.

I'll always point at Banjo. Seeing him at E32019 was hype for a lot of people, but by September that year, many people had just come to accept that he was in, and a lot of the hype had died down considerably.

Compare that to Sephiroth or Steve, who basically was a non-stop ride to their release.

Less time gives people less time to adjust to the new character. Banjo was one of my most wanteds, but by the time he came out, he was just "Here". Likewise, Sephiroth blindsided me and I was still losing my **** when he dropped a few weeks later, because I still hadn't really parsed "Wow, this happened" in the short amount of time given.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Yeah, while I would like if we got characters announced sooner rather than later, I'd rather be in the dark than have to wait a long time between announcement and actual release of said character. It kind of also depends on the characters themselves. I still think an E3 double reveal would be fine like in FP1, if the 2 revealed characters are on the same level of Banjo + Hero, but I can't imagine waiting several months for the release of Byleth or Pythra.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Characters come when they're ready. Some people would rather know sooner rather than later, and some would be ecstatic if the entire pass was revealed last March and we spent the next 18 months waiting for a release for each character. Personally though, I'm more happy with the reveals they've done for these past three characters, which is hold the character off until you're days away from a presentation and/or release. Makes the characters more enjoyable that way, likely because the high of their reveal is still in my mind.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
You can definitely see the contrast in how much Nintendo has shortened the gap between reveal and release with the second pass:

Joker: 130 days
Hero: 49 days
Banjo: 85 days
Terry: 63 days
Byleth: 12 days

Min-Min: 7 days
Steve: 12 days
Sephiroth: 12 Days (or 8 if the challenge is beaten)
Pyra/Mythra: 15 days

Honestly that might be the one thing that could suggest a solo reveal at E3, with fighter 10 coming very shortly after a reveal at that, and then fighter 11 doing the same following a reveal at the September Direct.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Feasibly speaking we should have a character at least announced by now. And by the time E3 rolls around it’d be feasible for a character to have already been released.

For perspective, we’re about 3 months out from the announcement of Pyra/Mythra and 2 months out from their release an by E3 it’ll be 4 months from announcement 3 months from release.

I find it very likely that there’s a day and date reveal and release of CP10 and then the announcement of the at E3. That’s just my thought process though.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Well one month from now it's also possible we'll just be done with speculation for Ultimate. Unless you want to talk about balance patches and Mii costumes.
While I'm the kind of person who would be interested in balance patch talk (partly since I'm really bloody stubborn and got pretty high into Elite Smash, and Sakurai noted that Elite Smash games do influence patches to some degree), it would be kinda strange since the competitive thread also goes over that.

I think I prefer reveals the way they are now instead of knowing too far ahead of time. Maybe something like the Arms guessing game would be fun once in a while.
Monkey's Paw: CP10 is a Pokemon guessing game, CP11 is a LoL guessing game. :4pacman:

As for Double reveal... while I could see it happen, it doesn't feel that likely to me since not only would Nintendo want to milk FP2 for as long as possible, but I'm not sure they're ready to announce how the support will look like after the last character just yet. They likely have some plans (whether it's further Nintendo-organized tournaments, events or other stuff related to the game), but Nintendo's not been known for tieing those to E3 presentations either.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's funny, this point of instant gratification versus protracted anticipation didn't used to be contended when the other system was in play last pass. You guys have spent too much time in the dark and your eyes have adjusted. :p

I just know engagement bleeds when we're left to our own devices, while known information more effectively retains it. And audience retention will inevitably erode over time, but it's not rigidly commensurate. I remember how activity after Cloud picked up in anticipation for both him and in the interim for the final infamous broadcast when it comparison to that near radio silence Nintendo had been in since that E3, largely owing to Iwata's passing.

I would imagine our current system is behind many previous regulars having fallen away. That's my guess. I mean, I don't think it's a coincidence that the other method is the typical one in practice when the schedule isn't disrupted by delays and pandemics.

I guess it just depends on if you would rather take your bong hit, laugh and pass out or eat your brownie and be floating all day. :p

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I still really miss the Dojo from Brawl prior to release. Having something new to look forward to every day was awesome even if it was small. I don’t think anything like that could work for DLC but all this talk just reminded me of that.

Last edited:

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
I still really miss the Dojo from Brawl prior to release. Having something new to look forward to every day was awesome even if it was small. I don’t think anything like that could work for DLC but a this talk just reminded me of that.
Dude the Dojo is like what got me IN to Smash in the first place, and I would visit it long after the game already came out. That drip feed of tiny information was somehow so hype.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
I feel like it might be a solo reveal due to I have a feeling FP10 will get released few days after their reveal.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
While I'm the kind of person who would be interested in balance patch talk (partly since I'm really bloody stubborn and got pretty high into Elite Smash, and Sakurai noted that Elite Smash games do influence patches to some degree), it would be kinda strange since the competitive thread also goes over that.

Monkey's Paw: CP10 is a Pokemon guessing game, CP11 is a LoL guessing game. :4pacman:

As for Double reveal... while I could see it happen, it doesn't feel that likely to me since not only would Nintendo want to milk FP2 for as long as possible, but I'm not sure they're ready to announce how the support will look like after the last character just yet. They likely have some plans (whether it's further Nintendo-organized tournaments, events or other stuff related to the game), but Nintendo's not been known for tieing those to E3 presentations either.
BRING ON THAT LOL GUESSING GAME.

and yeah, the last paragraph does bring on a bit of a conundrum...

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I still really miss the Dojo from Brawl prior to release. Having something new to look forward to every day was awesome even if it was small. I don’t think anything like that could work for DLC but all this talk just reminded me of that.
At the very least, I do wish the Smash blog showed snippets of a remix with each DLC character like with Banjo & Kazooie. I also wish the DLC fighters had a showcase video like the base game fighters.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think double reveal discussion makes sense given how much we are in the dark about Nintendo's E3 announcements beyond a certainty of Smash news, and likely BotW2. If Nintendo is going fully loaded in terms of significant news for the event I could easily see that potentially suggesting a solo Ultimate reveal might suffice in terms of being a showcase. Doubly so if its a beloved/particularly notable fighter revealed.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
But it'd be anticlimactic and people would just talk about one particular character over and over again. I don't think that's any better than slowly revealing each fighter one by one.
Like i give any ****s at this point about it being anticlimactic. Anything is better than having months of Silence

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Here's yet another one of my questions about kinds of characters that haven't entered the roster yet: What insect and arachnid characters would make good additions to Smash?

Edit: I guess you can add crustaceans to the mix, too, since they are covered in hard exoskeletons like insects and arachnids.
Titan Dweevil for a 2nd Pikmin rep.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Scizor would've made a good Gen 2 rep for Melee

And Ultimate aside (for obvious reasons), Smash 4 would've been a good point for him to return, if only for the sake of a Mega Scizor Final Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom