• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Dreams in general can be pretty weird. Last night, there was... Two separate ones actually.

The first one was... Vaguely Ys IX, but also completely different. Instead of becoming a Monstrum, now he's a girl? And the plot seemed to revolve around a castle, because we Castlevania now apparently, but you also seemed to be able to explore outside of it, so now we're Order of Ecclesia specifically. The world map seemed to cover the entire world, or at least the Eurasia region, which seemed kinda weird because A: Ys game are centered around one specific place, and B: Where does the castle fit into all this? Also there was an organization of some sorts and I remember jack%$#@ about them.

The other was me scrolling through the wiki page of a somewhat-different Ultraman Cosmos. I think he had Luna mode down, but then there was his "Titum" form that was sorta like Corona, but not quite, then an Eclipse-esque form -Forgot if it had a different name or not - Who was firing giant golden beams and had "lots of finishers." Then there was "Solid Titum," a red-and-black form that seemed to be primarily strength-based. This one is probably going to confuse everyone the most because only a small portion of the people here really know about Ultraman.

As a spinoff of the above Girl Adol dream, that reminds me of a much older dream that was much more simple. It was like Ys VIII, with Adol running around in a field. Also there was the Vergil Chair for some reason. I think it was supposed to be a save point? I dunno, there was just a random Vergil Chair for some reason.

And because I'll need to make my insane dream-based ramblings on-topic, Girl Adol and Ultraman Cosmos Solid Titum will be promotional picks and Girl Adol will bring Random Field With The Vergil Chair as a stage.

So yeah, bottom line is that we can all agree dreams are where sanity goes on lunch break
Frick yes Adele Christine and the first Ultra in Smash is one who does the least fighting. What's he gonna do, heal me to death?

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
Is double posting against the rules in other threads? I'm guessing it is. Asking because I want to ask a question in a support thread, but editing the question onto my last post likely won't notify anyone.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Out of curiosity: do you people expect more bonus fighters, of another fighter pass after CP11 is out?
Personally, I trust Sakurai's words, that state there won't be more DLC support once the pass is finished. But there are still people genuinely calling a bonus.
Also I wonder if the DLC includes the spirit events?
I'm going to believe Sakurai's word that we're approaching the end unless I see substantial evidence suggesting the opposite. Ultimate was a fun ride but all good things must come to an end eventually.

SKX31

Smash Master
More like Sora is inarguably owned by Disney...
IIRC Disney also own the other KH OCs like Riku and Kairi, so that will be a factor when discussing any hypotheoretical Challenger Pack. Regardless of Sakurai's stance on whether Mickey could have an NPC role or not.

Out of curiosity: do you people expect more bonus fighters, of another fighter pass after CP11 is out?
Personally, I trust Sakurai's words, that state there won't be more DLC support once the pass is finished. But there are still people genuinely calling a bonus.
Also thinking we're approaching the end as far as new characters are concerned (unless Nintendo / Furukawa convinces Sakurai to stay on, but I don't expect Furukawa to do that because he's not the kind of exec to emphasise live service at the expense of developers), but I do think that new patches will continue to come out at least 6 months after the final DLC character. If only to avoid another :4cloud: / :4bayonetta: situation where the last couple DLC characters practically take over the competitive scene and / or one of them prove easy to pick up and yet devastating enough to the point that the character becomes a problem in casual settings. We've kinda seen a mini-version of the latter already when they nerfed :ultminmin 's Dragon ARM Laser so that the "Scholar's Mate" cheese would no longer be a touch-of-death (at 0 % at least) on unsuspecting people:

The cheese in question. Source.

Spirit Events are certainly possible - although going by the relative lack of new Spirits that have come in via past Spirit Events (with most Spirit Events being simply themed around something) I wouldn't expect a lot of them.

Last edited:

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
Since that is what you meant to type, I gotta tell you that Ryu Hayabusa is also a recurring roster character in the Dead or Alive series; thus, he does count.
When I say "2D Fighting Game Character" I mean a character that originated from a 2D Fighting Game, not necessarily just being featured in one.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Ah, I see you’re a man of culture as well

imma take this time to shill Star Ocean. PLAY THIS GAME, IT’S ON SWITCH. PLAY ALL THE OTHERS TOO, LAST HOPE (MY PERSONAL FAVORITE) IS ON STEAM. PLEASE I WANT THIS SERIES TO GET MORE LOVE 🥺

Stratos

Smash Ace
Namco × Capcom, Project X Zone 1 & 2, all three existed Reiji Arisu and Xiaomu as protagonists. In Project X Zone 1 there were characters from Bandai Namco, Capcom and Sega, while in Project X Zone 2 there were characters from these companies as well as Chrom and Lucina from Fire Emblem Awakening and Fiora from Xenoblade Chronicles who are Nintendo. Therefore Reiji Arisu can be considered as one of the next 2 DLC newcomer characters, but I'm not sure he's coming.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Namco × Capcom, Project X Zone 1 & 2, all three existed Reiji Arisu and Xiaomu as protagonists. In Project X Zone 1 there were characters from Bandai Namco, Capcom and Sega, while in Project X Zone 2 there were characters from these companies as well as Chrom and Lucina from Fire Emblem Awakening and Fiora from Xenoblade Chronicles who are Nintendo. Therefore Reiji Arisu can be considered as one of the next 2 DLC newcomer characters, but I'm not sure he's coming.
Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura I think this is the part where you ask for PXZ3.

Technomage

Smash Champion
When I say "2D Fighting Game Character" I mean a character that originated from a 2D Fighting Game, not necessarily just being featured in one.
Oh, I didn't notice that part; though I did some more rechecking, and discovered that your original question did NOT specify 2d fighting games.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Yo can I get Elma, Pyra/Mythra, Joker, Off The Hook (yes, THAT Off The Hook), Captain Falcon and Bayonetta in PXZ3? Square Enix as a new company too?
Captain Falcon? Pair that man with Axel Stone. With the powers of the Grand Upper and the Falcon Punch combined, they will become an unstoppable force.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Captain Falcon? Pair that man with Axel Stone. With the powers of the Grand Upper and the Falcon Punch combined, they will become an unstoppable force.
What if SNK joins too tho

if so I’ll pair him with Terry

come on you know you want a dual Falcon Punch & Buster Wolf EX move

Technomage

Smash Champion

That video has got me thinking: Since Tony Hawk himself is not eligible for Smash (despite what the uploader says) due to not originating from a video game, what skateboarding characters would be good for Smash?

cashregister9

Smash Hero

That video has got me thinking: Since Tony Hawk himself is not eligible for Smash (despite what the uploader says) due to not originating from a video game, what skateboarding characters would be good for Smash?
I mean Roxas and Sora both Skateboard...

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion

Spyro but his whole moveset is based on the Skateboard minigame.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I've been lazy and Haven't written my Speculation of evidence towards one of the fighters, but I'll say something about the Bonus thing

I'm starting to lean towards it being Some sort of Echo for one of the Last 2 Fighters, instead of an Individual Bonus Fighter or any sort of Bonus Pass or something, Here's why

-An Echo of one of the FP2 Fighters would sense as to why the Bonus is only for CP2. I would believe that if the Bonus was a Full on Individual Fighter, they wouldn't make it free just for purchasing FP2. they might either have discount at that stage, or make it free if you Bought BOTH FP1 and FP2, but this bonus thing seems to be tied only to FP2

-Sakurai has stated only 2 Fighters and only 2 opportunities for the Presentations. I'll take him at his word when he says this. This would mean that this Bonus Fighter would have to be tied to one of the Last 2 Fighter Presentations, and not be separate at all.

-Technically, Sakurai never said no echoes for FP2, like he did for FP1

As for why they would even have an Echo though in the first place for one of the FP2 Fighters, It's likely that the character is as important to the franchise as one of the Last 2 Fighters that's being represented, so having them included in Smash is also a priority. However they might have felt that fitting in their personality or quirks through just an alt was not enough to represent them. This would especially be true if the Character was from a 3rd party, as the 3rd party has to give their piece into the development of the characters in Smash

The Reason Hero, Byleth, and Steve/Alex/Zombie/Enderman work is because they are mostly interchangeable, whether it be in Personality, Abilities, etc. Zombie and Enderman are kind of a stretch, but there were alts the Player character could use in Minecraft that matched the Zombie and Enderman alts. it seems in the case of our Bonus Fighter, they aren't interchangeable, or at the very least, the 3rd party won't allow them to be

SharkLord

Smash Hero

SONIC SKETBOARD

7NATOR

Smash Master
So, what were Sakurai's exact (but translated) words on echoes there?
It was in the Final Smash Presentation (for Base Roster). When Unveiling FP1, he said that he wasn't talking about Echo Fighters, I guess to ensure people that they aren't gonna pay for Clone characters

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
My take on the bonus thing is that it's probably not a fighter. Leaning towards something small like a mii costume or at most an extra stage (like how the Mario Maker stage was introduced to Smash Wii U as standalone DLC).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I've been lazy and Haven't written my Speculation of evidence towards one of the fighters, but I'll say something about the Bonus thing

I'm starting to lean towards it being Some sort of Echo for one of the Last 2 Fighters, instead of an Individual Bonus Fighter or any sort of Bonus Pass or something, Here's why

-An Echo of one of the FP2 Fighters would sense as to why the Bonus is only for CP2. I would believe that if the Bonus was a Full on Individual Fighter, they wouldn't make it free just for purchasing FP2. they might either have discount at that stage, or make it free if you Bought BOTH FP1 and FP2, but this bonus thing seems to be tied only to FP2

-Sakurai has stated only 2 Fighters and only 2 opportunities for the Presentations. I'll take him at his word when he says this. This would mean that this Bonus Fighter would have to be tied to one of the Last 2 Fighter Presentations, and not be separate at all.

-Technically, Sakurai never said no echoes for FP2, like he did for FP1

As for why they would even have an Echo though in the first place for one of the FP2 Fighters, It's likely that the character is as important to the franchise as one of the Last 2 Fighters that's being represented, so having them included in Smash is also a priority. However they might have felt that fitting in their personality or quirks through just an alt was not enough to represent them. This would especially be true if the Character was from a 3rd party, as the 3rd party has to give their piece into the development of the characters in Smash

The Reason Hero, Byleth, and Steve/Alex/Zombie/Enderman work is because they are mostly interchangeable, whether it be in Personality, Abilities, etc. Zombie and Enderman are kind of a stretch, but there were alts the Player character could use in Minecraft that matched the Zombie and Enderman alts. it seems in the case of our Bonus Fighter, they aren't interchangeable, or at the very least, the 3rd party won't allow them to be
This is how KOS-MOS with a T-elos echo can still win.

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
What if it turns out that "Bonus fighter" (assuming it's real) is actually a second rep for a new series that follows directly after the first's reveal?

Maybe something like...

-Scorpion from Mortal Kombat is revealed but Sub-Zero is the bonus fighter
-Lloyd Irving from Tales of is revealed but Yuri is the bonus fighter
-Sora from Kingdom Hearts is revealed but Roxas is the bonus fighter

Maybe it's also 2 characters from the same company?

-Crash is revealed as the Activision rep but Spyro is the bonus fighter
-Dante is Capcom's 4th rep but Chun-li is the bonus fighter

What other examples could work for that?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What if it turns out that "Bonus fighter" (assuming it's real) is actually a second rep for a new series that follows directly after the first's reveal?

Maybe something like...

KOS-MOS as CP11 with T-elos as a bonus
But also uhhh the bonus could be a first party from an already repped series that could do without a stage or spirit board like Black Shadow or Octoling or Elma. I just hope they come with music at least

also new idea - what if, once DLC is finished, they patch them into WoL so you’d have to find them manually? I mean, I was wondering why there’s WoL slots in the data mine. Maybe it’s for that?

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
It was in the Final Smash Presentation (for Base Roster). When Unveiling FP1, he said that he wasn't talking about Echo Fighters, I guess to ensure people that they aren't gonna pay for Clone characters
Okay, I guess that could work.

Now as for possible DLC fighters and their echoes:

Scorpion and Sub-Zero
Morrigan Aensland and Lilith
KOS-MOS and T-elos
Zacian and Zamazenta
Nightmare and Siegfried Schauften
Asuka and a 2nd Senran Kagura character (don't know enough about the series to decide who)
Kasumi and Ayane (I did consider Ryu Hayabusa and Kasumi instead, but I'm not sure their skeletons are similar enough for that)
Jin and Kazuya Mishima
Arle Nadja and Tee (I remember at least one person make that suggestion a long time ago)
Saki Amamiya and Isa Jo
Sol Badguy and Ragna the Bloodedge (hey, Ragna's practically an expy of Sol)
Sora and Roxas

Maybe something like...

That leads me to non-Echo comboes:

Crash and Coco Bandicoot
Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon
Dante and Virgil
Sol Ky Kiske
Morrigan and Dimitri Maximoff
Ryu Hayabusa and Kasumi
Reimu and Marisa
Saber Artoria and maybe Astolfo?
Yuri Lowell and either Lloyd Irving or Velvet Crowe (which would depend on whether or not the Lloyd Mii costume returns)

KOS-MOS as CP11 with T-elos as a bonus
But also uhhh the bonus could be a first party from an already repped series that could do without a stage or spirit board like Black Shadow or Octoling or Elma. I just hope they come with music at least

also new idea - what if, once DLC is finished, they patch them into WoL so you’d have to find them manually? I mean, I was wondering why there’s WoL slots in the data mine. Maybe it’s for that?
I don't know, but I would REALLY like it if they were to fix WoL's map to make it easier to navigate (especially in Marx's sub-world).

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Okay, I guess that could work.

Now as for possible DLC fighters and their echoes:

Scorpion and Sub-Zero
Morrigan Aensland and Lilith
KOS-MOS and T-elos
Zacian and Zamazenta
Nightmare and Siegfried Schauften
Asuka and a 2nd Senran Kagura character (don't know enough about the series to decide who)
Kasumi and Ayane (I did consider Ryu Hayabusa and Kasumi instead, but I'm not sure their skeletons are similar enough for that)
Jin and Kazuya Mishima
Arle Nadja and Tee (I remember at least one person make that suggestion a long time ago)
Saki Amamiya and Isa Jo
Sol Badguy and Ragna the Bloodedge (hey, Ragna's practically an expy of Sol)
Sora and Roxas

That leads me to non-Echo comboes:

Crash and Coco Bandicoot
Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon
Dante and Virgil
Sol Ky Kiske
Morrigan and Dimitri Maximoff
Ryu Hayabusa and Kasumi
Reimu and Alice
Saber Artoria and maybe Astolfo?
Yuri Lowell and either Lloyd Irving or Velvet Crowe (which would depend on whether or not the Lloyd Mii costume returns)
Why Alice with Reimu? Shouldn’t it be Marisa since she’s the P2 to Reimu’s P1?

and I suggested Arle & Tee, as per Puyo Puyo Tetris. We have yet to see a female fighter with a male echo after all

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Playing for the underdog characters for a bit. Which character would be the party crasher if he/she appear at E3 2021 as Challnger 10 instead of the more speculated ones? (and 11 if double reveal happens)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Gunvolt? I don't know why, but he's been on my mind for an E3 reveal, despite having never played his games...
Gunvolt would be DOPE ngl

he’s kinda my pipe dream cause I heckin love his games

GOD imagine the music tho. ALL THOSE BANGERS.

DuskFleur

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn’t mind seeing a challenger pack that includes an Echo Fighter for the main featured character (for example, as mentioned before, Sora with Roxas as the Echo). I mean, Pyra and Mythra are technically counted as two separate characters (at least by the Fighter Number labeling), but share a single roster slot (like Pokémon Trainer’s Pokémon), and Echo menu display options let them be stacked with their origin fighter; it’s certainly not out of the realm of possibility!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom