• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Or it could be because things like microtransactions could easily end up a slippery slope?
That's... not how microtransactions work.

Pac-man being added to the game does not in any way imply that we'll eventually fall down a slippery slope of Nintendo requiring us to pay quarters for every match.

Last edited:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
View attachment 314474

You made me tap it you ********
tbh, you could get a good look at what is considered "iconic" by looking and processing a bunch of sales data, maybe track how frequent certain franchises are mentioned in non-smash/dedicated fanbase circles, etc. Although, I'm sure the major blockade is trying to find out what Sakurai and Nintendo considers "iconic." At that point, it'd end up being too much work just for video game speculation :p

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
tbh, you could get a good look at what is considered "iconic" by looking and processing a bunch of sales data, maybe track how frequent certain franchises are mentioned in non-smash/dedicated fanbase circles, etc. Although, I'm sure the major blockade is trying to find out what Sakurai and Nintendo considers "iconic." At that point, it'd end up being too much work just for video game speculation :p
And then there's trying to get universal standards for how high or low the data used must be until it becomes "iconic," as everyone will have different opinions on what that data means. At that point, you might as well try to punch a hole in a boulder with your bare hands.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If someone wanted to do that the results would be interesting to look at, but even then it wouldn't be an exact science, because you'd also have to factor in things like how longstanding/recent a series is, whether the series has a rotating or static cast, periods of dormancy, if the series is eponymous with its lead, who the company positions as its biggest names/mascot, familiarity/affinity within demographics that are harder to gauge, the IP's presence outside of just games, etc.

It's a tricky business. At this point though, it's just better to use more quantifiable measures, since the pool of iconic characters will remain without consensus.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I did it, I found the big gaming news of the week:

Look, I just wanna talk about Dragalia Lost again, man...
You need to find a way to make Dragalia a meme (in a good way). There's a user on here that basically posts nothing but propaganda for their character, and they've done such a good job that one word will reveal exactly who it is.

Split

Technomage

Smash Champion

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
And then there's trying to get universal standards for how high or low the data used must be until it becomes "iconic," as everyone will have different opinions on what that data means. At that point, you might as well try to punch a hole in a boulder with your bare hands.
At the end of the day, I'd say most characters thrown around in Smash context are notable enough to get in anyways. Measuring reasons why they should or could get in over some other character who also should get in is really all speculation kinda boils down to almost. "Iconic" is just too subjective and isn't even a Smash dealbreaker.

Also, that boulder comment instantly made me think of this:

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I have a quick question:

According to the tweet Nintendo is planning network maintenance (specifically for the eshop) from 05:00 to 09:00 (4 to 8 in est times) and I'm not sure if the tweet is using 12 or 24 hour notation, as I read Japan uses both.

So would the tweet be referring to am or pm in the Japan Timezone?

Quick, someone propose a topic about Timesplitters!
Always found Timesplitters to be a charming game, if Cortez gets in, a Monkey needs to be on his spirit board. Why? Timesplitters 2 and Future Perfect seem to love them for reasons I am not sure of.
Also classic mode should involve multiple references to the franchise, so far of our Pass 2 characters only :ultminmin and :ultsteve: feel reference heavy while:ultsephiroth: and :ultpyra: feel a bit generic (I know Sephiroth's was because he's The gaming boss, but at the very least one level should have involved Cloud).

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Ryu Hayabusa originated from a series of sidescrolling (NES) and eventually third-person action games, which, are not fighting games.
Yeah, and Guy and Cody are from a beat-am-up. But I wouldn't say they aren't also fighting game characters.

Hayabusa isn't some guest fighter in DOA. He's a canon part of it that has been in every entry in the series. He's as much a fighting game character as ANY DOA character.

Are people sick of me constantly linking videos from Brawl Mods? I feel like I do it very frequently, and I never get much of a response when i do.
I mean, I don't watch them, that's just not what I'm here for. But I'm not bothered by you posting them.

Hey, one is the posterchild for ****ty mascots with bad games. Not everything has to be iconic in a good way.
It should when we're talking about getting into Smash.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
According to the tweet Nintendo is planning network maintenance (specifically for the eshop) from 05:00 to 09:00 (4 to 8 in est times) and I'm not sure if the tweet is using 12 or 24 hour notation, as I read Japan uses both.
IIRC, Japan normally uses 24 hour notation

MMXZero

Smash Rookie
It makes me wonder why we haven't gotten a second Namco rep yet. Either due to Namco not sure who to pick, Sakurai priotizing other devs over them, or Namco intentionally not letting a second rep get in as to not seem biased here.
I know this is a few days late, but these are my two cents on the matter: Nintendo doesn't see a business opportunity to market an upcoming Scamco game by including any of their characters. I also feel Sakurai's response to adding Heihachi is a copout. The real reason Heihachi was passed on was due to his inclusion in PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale. Nintendo and Sakurai most likely don't want a character that has already appeared in a Smash Bros. "ripoff" game.

As for characters like KOS-MOS, I would assume Nintendo didn't care to pay the money when they could add someone from Xenoblade instead.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I know this is a few days late, but these are my two cents on the matter: Nintendo doesn't see a business opportunity to market an upcoming Scamco game by including any of their characters. I also feel Sakurai's response to adding Heihachi is a copout. The real reason Heihachi was passed on was due to his inclusion in PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale. Nintendo and Sakurai most likely don't want a character that has already appeared in a Smash Bros. "ripoff" game.

As for characters like KOS-MOS, I would assume Nintendo didn't care to pay the money when they could add someone from Xenoblade instead.
Considering how Sakurai really likes going the extra mile for third parties to the point Simon references a dumb visual glitch and we have mining **** for Steve and an initial plan that made players able to port their Minecraft worlds, I'm pretty sure Sakurai genuinely wants to do something crazy with Tekken's limb system. If PSABR was a concern, that would no longer be the case as Sakurai used to be concerned about it with the addition of a hazard toggle in Smash 4. Now we have a hazard toggle.

Also lmao at saying 'Scamco' as if Nintendo cares about ethical business practises

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I have a quick question:

So would the tweet be referring to am or pm in the Japan Timezone?

Always found Timesplitters to be a charming game, if Cortez gets in, a Monkey needs to be on his spirit board. Why? Timesplitters 2 and Future Perfect seem to love them for reasons I am not sure of.
Also classic mode should involve multiple references to the franchise, so far of our Pass 2 characters only :ultminmin and :ultsteve: feel reference heavy while:ultsephiroth: and :ultpyra: feel a bit generic (I know Sephiroth's was because he's The gaming boss, but at the very least one level should have involved Cloud).
In response to your first question, it looks to me, based on hours of operation each day if I am not mistaken, that it could be PM.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I would love to see Albel Nox or Nel Zelpher. Those characters introduced me to two of my all time favorite voice actors of all time in Crispin Freeman and Wendee Lee. They were both great characters otherwise as well.

Speaking of stars and ocean themes, how about a space pirate? My all time favorite video game character ever is Zegram Ghart from Rogue Galaxy. He has an awesome pirate aesthetic, a cool personality, and was played my another all time favorite voice actor in Steve Blum. Too bad Rogue Galaxy was a really niche game and Zegram wasn’t even to main protagonist. That doesn’t mean I can’t still want him though.

Honorable mentions go to water type Pokémon like Blastoise, Golisopod, and Kabutops as well as Mipha (Vreath of the Wild) and Mako (Brawlhala).

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
How would everyone feel if Tabuu was either that Bonus fighter that was theorized or a DLC character?

I think Tabuu would make for a really cool bonus fighter. It would be great to have an actual Smash rep in the game and he makes more sense than Master Hand to be a playable character. I might not make him paid DLC so people wouldn’t feel let down if they wanted content from other series instead.

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
Can I make a joke about Wario getting removed from Smash?

Comedy is dead and we've found the murderer.

But seriously, the writing in this is awful but at least the other people in it know how to act. Elon's partner is playing Peach and the worst part isn't even her accent, she's just flailing her arms in the air. And Musk himself actually is grounds for all Wario games to be cancelled, I'd begrudgingly take that trade if it meant I could never think about this ever again.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
Bu-b-but the panties Rie...The panties, CERO will never allow it no matter how much censorship...:crying:
And yet the two succubi in Darkstalkers have stockings and high heels, one of them being a Hermaphrodite (that being Lilith), which means she's already suited to be in Smash. I don't see how that's a problem.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
And yet the two succubi in Darkstalkers have stockings and high heels, one of them being a Hermaphrodite (that being Lilith), which means she's already suited to be in Smash. I don't see how that's a problem.
Yeah but unlike Mai, they're completely covered. Only skin expose is their cleavage that can easily be censored which CERO seems to have no issue with aside from exposed undergarments.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Mai used her female's appeal as her entire clothing is done to implement her fighting style regardless of cloth adjustment.

SKX31

Smash Master
How would everyone feel if Tabuu was either that Bonus fighter that was theorized or a DLC character?
I'd be... conflicted.

Part of me would feel like he's a cool addition precisely because of his boss status (even as he's a giant space flea from nowhere in terms of SSE's story arc) and the fact that he'd have a very interesting set of attacks when translated into a fighter.

My inner 17 year old though: "Yeah, **** that guy. I'd just include him to get revenge on all the times he Off Wave'd me".

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Wait what

I thought she was just flat chested?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
What’s with all the Darkstalkers talk lately? Did something come up with the series lately that I missed? Not that I mind really, just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom