• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Random Thoughts:
  • Jackbox could make for a pretty neat stage.
  • If they add Cadence, I hope she comes with Cadence of Hyrule tracks, and that said tracks are available on both the Crypt of the Necrodancer and The Legend of Zelda series stages.
  • If they added Freddy, then it would technically be the second playable character that was once voiced by Xander Mobius (A.K.A., the announcer).
EDIT: I mean just listen to this! Perfection.

Last edited:

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
hmm guess i'll participate even though im probably late at this point

DLC 9 would be Louie from pikmin 3
DLC 10 would be Agent 8 from splatoon 2 (and specifically agent 8 not any other ocotling)
and Finally DLC10 would be Tom Nook, he will whack you with his gigantic bags of bells and his Final smash would be putting you into debt.

honestly............................ i'd take it, it doesn't sound that bad.

DynoStretch

Smash Cadet
The Codenames are

Bedlam
Sorrow
Dorako
Bedlam

Well let's see, a bedlam is another name for an asylum. It could mean a horror franchise character like Pyramid Head.

A bedlam is also a "scene of uproar and confusion", though I can't think of any game series or character specific to that, perhaps Crash Bandicoot?

Edit: After some thought it could also be referring to Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, but I don't know how a game like that could translate into a Smash fighter.

Sorrow

It could be referring to Dante with the meaning of "Devil May Cry",

Dorako

The only thing I got close to this name is a Monster of The Day from the Ultraman series. Some kind of insect-winged lizard creature. I see why people are talking about Dracovish since it shares some resemblance to it.

Besides that, maybe a Digimon like Agumon or Veemon that can evolve.

Last edited:

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
Well don't this look neat?

I realize that what I'm about to say will make me look like a grade-A douchebag but...

I find it kinda ironic that some Geno fans have spent the last year trying to convince other people that making good-looking Mii hats through modding is extremely difficult (or even straight-up impossible) and now they have to resort to modding to get a good looking costume of their favorite character.

Last edited:

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
There's nothing jerkish about what you did at all. The whole point of getting more details about a game is to figure out if you want it or not.
Hell no how the hell is genuinely asking if you'd enjoy a game 'leading someone on'? There's nothing stopping you from eliminating all out of progression methods possible but it does severely limit the game so it sounds like the game just isn't for you, a completely acceptable outcome. If you don't vibe with a game for any reason whatsoever, no one should give you **** for it. I'm glad I was able to help either way though
I don't know, I guess I just feel... a little left out, y'know? I mean, not just from Hades. Sometimes it feels like everybody goes nuts for that sort of thing but me. Makes me feel like I'm wired upside down.

Actually, I think I've figured out the way to explain why I feel the way I do about this.

Let me tell you a story.

Have you ever heard of DemonCrawl? Chances are, you haven't. It's Minesweeper, but as a roguelike. And no, that's not a joke. Its tagline is "Minesweeper Gone Rogue". You pick up items that do things like give you more health, reveal the values on squares, or kill monsters (the game's equivalent of mines). Minesweeper frequently has situations where you need to guess - and although a lot of versions force no-guess layouts, DemonCrawl doesn't outside of Easy difficulty. The idea is that those situations are why you need the items.

One of its game mechanics is Tokens, which are basically the between-run currency as opposed to the in-run currency, Coins. One of things you can buy with Tokens Masteries. Basically, by getting certain achievements, you can get Masteries available for sale in the between-run shop. For instance, you can buy Survivor I after finishing a run with 10 or more HP left. You can also upgrade them: so after you finish a run with 20 or more HP left, you can then buy Survivor II.

You can take one Mastery into a run, and each provides different benefits. According to the wiki, a Tier I Mastery gives you a passive benefit from the start of the run (in the case of Survivor, starting with 1 extra max HP). The Tier II version of that Mastery will give you the same benefit in addition to another benefit (for Survivor, +1 max HP if you're injured at the end of a stage). And finally, the Tier III version of a Mastery gives you both of those, and also a chargeable activated ability that charges upon completing a stage (for Survivor, every 3 stages it can solve a number of cells equal to your missing health, then heals you to full).

Now, the first Mastery I ever unlocked was Spy I. The Spy Mastery is all about "gleaning" cells. Gleaning means to learn the number on a cell, but you don't get any information on what's on that cell, just the number of monsters around it. Naturally, you unlock it by gleaning a bunch of cells in a single stage. It starts off pretty simple at tier I - just gleaning 10 hidden cells after your first click.

So I unlock this Mastery and I buy it. Obviously. I mean, I'm new to the game and I just got to one of its cool unique mechanics, right? Of course I read what it did, but I don't think I fully understood it. Not until I took it into a run. Now, the first stage in each run is always fairly small. I think the Forest - the first stage of the first quest, and also the one I took it into - is usually 8 by 8. They're also never very dense with monsters, usually only having... what, 8, 10? There's a lot of empty space. I say all this so you understand that when I made the first click, it revealed a decent chunk of the board because of the small amount of monsters. And Spy I gleans hidden cells.

Suddenly, the entire board is filled with numbers. Or at least it feels that way in the moment. I basically have the numbers of 90% of the squares on the board. And I don't even need them, because you basically never need to guess on the first stage. I just have, like, twice the information I used to get. It felt like playing on easy mode.

And why? Because I played the game for long enough, basically. Tokens are easy to get, and I basically just stumbled onto the Spy I unlock. I hadn't even beaten the first quest. I don't know what I thought the game was up until that point, but in that moment, I think I understood what the game was supposed to be. I understood with terrible, terrible clarity that I was supposed to be getting stronger, and seeking out better and better Masteries until eventually, I was strong enough to beat the game.

And I haaaated that.

I think I lost my run anyway to some stupid mistake or another shortly afterward. I probably wasn't giving it my A-game. After that, I took off my Mastery and returned to doing runs without one. No, maybe that's too mild a way to phrase it. It might be a melodramatic way to phrase it, but I vowed not to use Masteries from then on. I beat the first quest some time afterward, that way. I don't remember if I unlocked any more, but if I did, I didn't buy them.

I didn't beat the second quest before I made a decision. I was sick at looking at Spy I in my Mastery list. The only one I'd ever bought. I wanted to wash my hands of it and prove I wasn't using them anymore. You can't sell Masteries or anything, so I deleted my entire save file and started over. Like I said, the only progress I had made was beating the first quest, so all I had to do was beat that quest again and I'd be caught right back up with my old save with no Masteries haunting me.

Now, I've beaten the fifth and final quest. Actually, once you do that, you unlock the Hard difficulty, and you have to beat the Hard versions of the quests sequentially as well. I've actually gotten all the way past the fourth quest on Hard. When I made the decision, I remember thinking about the phrase "if you don't like it, don't use it". Implicitly, it continues "and it'll be fine", and I think I wanted to prove that part wrong. At this point in the game, it's painfully obvious that it's balanced around using Masteries. If you don't, it turns into "hope you get the right items or die trying". Which sort of lines up with the difficult reputation of other roguelikes, which is the only thing that gives me pause on that. Still, though, I'm reasonably confident that the game is supposed to be far more forgiving than this.

Some people have asked me if I was ever tempted to give in and use Masteries, and I can honestly say no. I've never wanted to go back. Frankly, I only ever got a Tier I mastery. The Tier III Masteries seem completely unimaginable to me. You know what's funny, though? There's one Mastery, the Prophet, which only gives you XP (purely an unlocking mechanic in this game) and Tokens. Mechanically, it's completely identical to having no Mastery except you just get more progression per run. I felt ripped off. Heck, I still feel ripped off. That's the closest I've come to being tempted, but I didn't use it in the end.

And I know the idea is "oh, you're supposed to play the game however you want to", but... no, it seems clear to me that me feeling and behaving this way was not something the developers accounted for. As far as I can tell, I'm definitely supposed to be jazzed to get new Mastery and upgrade my new ones and get stronger and I'm not.

It's especially clear when there are all these other progression mechanics, too! There are these things called Heirlooms, and they basically allow you to smuggle items into the start of a run, and I'm supposed to be getting all excited about crafting new Heirlooms to get better at the start of runs and I'm not. There are these Divine variants of items that you can unlock via Beyond quests that you craft with collectible Artifacts, and I'm supposed to be invested in that whole chain of events and I'm not. You can "favor" items to make them show up more often, and I'm supposed to be doing that and I actually did because I thought it was kind of a cool system but then the whole Mastery incident happened which caused me to swear off all the progression mechanics and now I'm not. In an update, they added these things called Special Chests and Sigils, and they're some kind of progression thing or another you equip at the start, and I have no idea what they do, but I'm supposed to be curious and excited to find out and I'm not.

All that detail may seem excessive, but I honestly felt it was necessary because... it's a little funny, right? In a sad sort of way? The sheer amount of mechanics this game has that's tied to a part of it I don't care about. It just keeps doubling and tripling and quadrupling down on it and none of it is landing, and that's something I think you can only see the humor once I describe each of them a little bit.

I know I've probably taken up two computer monitors already with this amount of text, but I just find this such an... interesting topic. It might be the most... opinionated experience I've had with any video game to date. And for all this talk about it being clear to me how I'm supposed to feel... I still don't think I truly understand. I don't know what people see in Masteries. In Heirlooms, and Divine items, and Special Chests, and Sigils. In Keepsakes, and Titan Blood, and Darkness. In out-of-run progression mechanics in general. I know I'm intended to like them, but I can't imagine... actually liking them. Like I said...

I feel like I'm wired upside down.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Here's a game, a character from the last 3 games you've played will be the final DLC packs. For me this would be:

Hat Kid
Spongebob (lmao)
Chrono

Spongebob with Spongebob Dream stage coming soon!!!
1. Louis (Code Vein)
I honestly don't know how they'll implement the MC from that game, since the customization in both your character's physical appearances and moveset run pretty deep. So I just went with the MC's primary sidekick, Louis. He's pretty rad, he uses a one-handed weapon and his moveset focuses on evasion and agility. Uh oh, he can dash into teleport...

2. Kazuya Mishima (Tekken 7)
Since Heihachi got Mii'd, I guess it's time for his half-devil-son to shine. Kazuya and Heihachi's eternal feud ended with Kazuya on top, so he was the one to get into Smash, how fitting. His Final Smash would obviously incorporate his Devil Form and Sakurai would have finally figured out how to translate the limb system over to Smash with his inclusion, at last.

3. Sol Badguy (Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R)
AND HE GETS A HOLY ORDER ALT COSTUME TOO LETS ****ING GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

--
Besides Code Vein stuff getting in (I'd rather get something like God Eater or you know, actually Dark Souls), I'm pretty satisfied with this.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I realize that what I'm about to say will make me look like a grade-A douchebag but...

I find it kinda ironic that some Geno fans have spent the last year trying to convince other people that making good-looking Mii hats through modding is extremely difficult (or even straight-up impossible) and now they have to resort to modding to get a good looking costume of their favorite character.
Don't worry about it, you just have the context all wrong.

See, no one said it was impossible to make good-looking mods period.

We said it was impossible for the modding community to make good-looking mods at the time CacoMallow originally leaked...over a year ago now, actually, and it wasn't us saying it as much as us repeating what the modding community has said.

If I recall, after a certain update, the game was really opened up in terms of modding as opposed to before where it was too easy to have the game crash due to file sizes not being exactly right. Sure, now things are different, but late 2019 is not late 2020.

Interestingly enough, while I've heard that a non-crusty looking Mallow hat has been made by the community and I've heard people were able to closely mimic the jiggle physics for specifically how the hat moved in the CacoMallow footage (which is different from the Slime hat). This doesn't matter because, even if modders can get very close to a replica now, they openly admitted to not being able to do so over a year ago...and frankly, the footage is of costumes that were likely either already done (and therefore completed much earlier) or were nearly done. Add in the fact that a modder would have no reason to try and make a family-friendly version of Cacodemon, the many things that point towards the footage being from a dev version of the game in debug mode (the odd timer, whale not showing up when it does in final version, noticeable geographical differences in the background between footage and final version, and the fact that they all taunt at the exact same time which we know to be something the devs have access to), and the fact that costumes can easily be (and likely are) made well in advance of the character they will release with...it really does show the credibility of CacoMallow.

Which brings up an interesting point, one I will be bringing up in my video I'm going to record soon, but if all this points to CacoMallow being real and one assumes it IS real...where the hell was the Mallow hat with Sephiroth? I mean, everyone is shouting that Geno is out of the running, so why didn't we get six costumes with Sephy and add in a new SMRPG hat?

Huh, it's almost as if an old returning costume of a character that gets slight updates in a game who's motto is 'Everyone Is Here' doesn't kill a characters chances...if anything, it's new costumes that truly seal the deal, and even that can change with future DLC.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Here's a game, a character from the last 3 games you've played will be the final DLC packs. For me this would be:

Hat Kid
Spongebob (lmao)
Chrono

Let's see...

Pokemon Sword
Animal Crossing New Horizons
Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity

Wouldn't be a bad line-up though, the AoC fighter could be anyone from Breath of the Wild

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Hat Kid
Spongebob (lmao)
Chrono

Trevor Philips
Yu Narukami
Sgt. Cortez

A crazy person, A calm person and a goof ball space marine that's like the glue that holds them together. Time to Split!

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Let's see...

Pokemon Sword
Animal Crossing New Horizons
Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity

Wouldn't be a bad line-up though, the AoC fighter could be anyone from Breath of the Wild
Gotta say that any Gen 8 rep is pretty bad. I really don't understand the constant push for expecting a Gen 8 rep either. Reeks of self-loathing, doomer pessimism.

The game was a huge success despite how unpolished it was and doesn't need more shilling, nor is it getting anymore content to try and promote.

I mean, it's ****ing Pokemon: it doesn't need promotion.

In addition, we already got our Pokemon rep that was reserved for the base game, which is Incineroar. The only time we ever got a Pokemon for DLC was Smash 4 and it was the most-requested veteran in Mewtwo, so it not only was the exception to the rule but it also wasn't even a new Pokemon. Add in how weird TPC is when it comes to Pokemon DLC outside of a Pokemon game and it honestly just screams 'not gonna happen.'

Sakurai's got way too many fan picks to put in, and Nintendo already got their big bucks with Min Min, and considering both Steve and Sephiroth are more of a casual, general audience appeal who had a small amount of Smash demand, we STILL don't have a hardcore Smash fandom pick yet.

So, who's gonna be the next Banjo & Kazooie?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I don't know, I guess I just feel... a little left out, y'know? I mean, not just from Hades. Sometimes it feels like everybody goes nuts for that sort of thing but me. Makes me feel like I'm wired upside down.
That's perfectly fine. Happens to everyone. And you shouldn't have to explain yourself on why you don't like it to be treated reasonably either. I can't stand ATB battle systems so if I'n forced to use it, I already know the game's not worth my time

I think it's even more ironic that people saw the costume not getting updated as an insult when I haven't seen any other ported Mii Costume get that treatment*, especially considering how it's obvious Geno fans have gotten a buttload of fanservice to begin with

*Though to be fair there's a chance other character fanbases like Heihachi, Zero, etc acted like that even if I didn't see it

osby

Smash Obsessed
Gotta say that any Gen 8 rep is pretty bad. I really don't understand the constant push for expecting a Gen 8 rep either. Reeks of self-loathing, doomer pessimism.
Can't say I'd be thrilled by any Gen 8 Pokemon but there are quite a few designs I like. Not anyone who predicts/expects a Sword and Shield newcomer hates the game.

The game was a huge success despite how unpolished it was and doesn't need more shilling, nor is it getting anymore content to try and promote.

In addition, we already got our Pokemon rep that was reserved for the base game, which is Incineroar. The only time we ever got a Pokemon for DLC was Smash 4 and it was the most-requested veteran in Mewtwo, so it not only was the exception to the rule but it also wasn't even a new Pokemon. Add in how weird TPC is when it comes to Pokemon DLC outside of a Pokemon game and it honestly just screams 'not gonna happen.'
I don't think a Gen 8 Pokemon is likely but "Pokemon doesn't need promotion" is such a bad argument against it.

Pokemon never needed Smash to sell.

Sakurai's got way too many fan picks to put in, and Nintendo already got their big bucks with Min Min, and considering both Steve and Sephiroth are more of a casual, general audience appeal who had a small amount of Smash demand, we STILL don't have a hardcore Smash fandom pick yet.

There doesn't have to be a next Banjo & Kazooie. It's not like every single portion of the game owes a character that solely appeals to hardcore fans.

Dinoman96

Smash Master

Honestly, I'm fairly certain Banjo is the last "people's choice" character we're gonna get for this game...and possibly ever.

Obviously you'll still have generally popular characters like Sephiroth showing up, but as far as characters that directly appeal to the hardcore Smash crowd, I think Ridley, K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie are pretty much it.

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman

Hat Kid
Spongebob (lmao)
Chrono

Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
Fall Guy (Fall Guys Ultimate Knockout)
Tetris Block (Tetris NES)

Seems fine to me lol

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord

I thought that Minecraft Steve is the Banjo of this pass because how much people doubt his inclusion just like Banjo back in FP1, have a massive supporter that even both of those fanbase wage war with each other to see who is going to get in first (and everyone already know the ending) and they are both owned Microsoft?

The only difference is that Minecraft is still relevant and Banjo-Kazooie is not.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master

Pokemon never needed promotion I think. Sure, some characters in Smash are probably in because of "promotion", but we have to remember Smash is also a celebration of gaming, which is the side of Smash I feel Pokemon belongs to.

Sw/Sh may not be everyone's cup of tea but are on their way to become the third best selling Pokemon game after Gen 1 and 2 and are likely the first Pokemon games for many new players. As such, Gen 8 Pokemon are the first ones they are accustomed to. Of course this does not mean a Gen 8 rep needs to be in Smash, just that there's a justified reason for its inclusion.

I'm personally all pro-Gen 8 Pokemon for Ultimate. The designs in Gen 8 are top-notch and because of the inherent "monster with elemental powers"-setting Pokemon have in general, the moveset can offer something really creative.

Last edited:

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
The only reason I want a gen 8 pokemon in Smash Ultimate is for the music (as I've said multiple times already lol), which is like 85% the reason I want most of my favorite characters to get in too tbh lmao

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

The challenge was characters from the last three games I played, not what characters I think will be in. Besides, I want a gen 8 Pokemon because Falinks is awesome.

Also, more a point of confusion but how is Sephiroth "casual"? Minecraft you can pick up and play, Final Fantasy 7 doesn't open up until half way through the first disk.

osby

Smash Obsessed
The challenge was characters from the last three games I played, not what characters I think will be in. Besides, I want a gen 8 Pokemon because Falinks is awesome.

Also, more a point of confusion but how is Sephiroth "casual"? Minecraft you can pick up and play, Final Fantasy 7 doesn't open up until half way through the first disk.
I think that was an attempt to shoehorn Steve and Sephiroth into the same demographic which is kinda hilarious but not as hilarious as claiming that Steve had only a small amount of support.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Referring back to the Source Gaming poll that got linked a few pages back, Steve was in the top 10 and Sephiroth was top 100. Pretty damn good for a poll with 1423 results. Min Min was top 200 which is also pretty decent in that regard too.

Polls obviously aren't the be all, end all but it's just some food for thought

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Criticizing/Disliking SwSh has become such a norm that it's genuinely surprising for many when they learn that there might be a few users here who are serious when they say they'd be happy with a Gen 8 Pokémon.

I really wish there were more people who'd be willing to separate their negative opinions of SwSh from Smash speculation. Most of the issues people have with the games have absolutely no impact on Smash, yet the label of "SwSh" and "Gen 8" is sometimes all that's needed before the idea is completely rejected. Seems like a lot of people would openly admit that they'd prefer double-dipping with Gen 4 and leaving Gen 8's representation as is because "only one of the two is actually good".

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Unless, of course, we get another overly-complex character that requires the devs to rework entire parts of the game...
I think the next character may be a bit easier development wise. There was only a gap of a month and 1 week between Steve and Sephiroth and that was mainly due to the boss mode

also characters are (supposedly) worked on in threes

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I personally just find the idea of a 9th (11th if you count Ivysaur and Squirtle as their own) Pokemon rep really boring at this stage in the game, especially with the knowledge that these last three characters on FP2 are more than likely going to be the last characters we get for Ultimate, period.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Pokémon at this stage just feels like a bit of a no win scenario anyway; people who aren't fans likely won't be enthused at it getting yet another character while those who are fans likely have their own preferences for another fighter and portions of them will inevitably be disappointed by who gets picked.

A Gen 8 rep would still sell fine, but seems remarkably difficult for it to get the same kind of hype as other potential characters would.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I recently started a new project where we make an Ultimate sequel from the ground up. We just voted to include Issac as our first newcomer. If you have time and want to join in, we would love to have you. We will be discussing how Isaac could play as well as deciding how many newcomers to add for launch plus a new assist trophy addition!

Monue

Smash Apprentice
I'm fairly certain there's a distinction in the lingo about this very topic.

Roguelike is what you're after.

Roguelite is what Hades is.

A true Roguelike has no between-run progression, you die, and it's back to the start to try again. FTL, I believe, is a true Roguelike. Hades has been described as a Roguelite, as each run is meant to get easier and easier with rewards gained during your run. Just to put your mind at ease here, you're not alone, there are a toooon of Roguelike purists who feel the same way you do, and would never touch a game like Hades. Totally valid, and there's tons of games like that!

That said, I personally think Roguelikes are wackadoodle, and definitely prefer Roguelites. Plus Hades has sexy Gods like Dionysus with his thicc thighs and chill attitude, so like, to each their own~<3

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Actually, I think I've figured out the way to explain why I feel the way I do about this.

Let me tell you a story.

Have you ever heard of DemonCrawl? Chances are, you haven't. It's Minesweeper, but as a roguelike. And no, that's not a joke. Its tagline is "Minesweeper Gone Rogue". You pick up items that do things like give you more health, reveal the values on squares, or kill monsters (the game's equivalent of mines). Minesweeper frequently has situations where you need to guess - and although a lot of versions force no-guess layouts, DemonCrawl doesn't outside of Easy difficulty. The idea is that those situations are why you need the items.

One of its game mechanics is Tokens, which are basically the between-run currency as opposed to the in-run currency, Coins. One of things you can buy with Tokens Masteries. Basically, by getting certain achievements, you can get Masteries available for sale in the between-run shop. For instance, you can buy Survivor I after finishing a run with 10 or more HP left. You can also upgrade them: so after you finish a run with 20 or more HP left, you can then buy Survivor II.

You can take one Mastery into a run, and each provides different benefits. According to the wiki, a Tier I Mastery gives you a passive benefit from the start of the run (in the case of Survivor, starting with 1 extra max HP). The Tier II version of that Mastery will give you the same benefit in addition to another benefit (for Survivor, +1 max HP if you're injured at the end of a stage). And finally, the Tier III version of a Mastery gives you both of those, and also a chargeable activated ability that charges upon completing a stage (for Survivor, every 3 stages it can solve a number of cells equal to your missing health, then heals you to full).

Now, the first Mastery I ever unlocked was Spy I. The Spy Mastery is all about "gleaning" cells. Gleaning means to learn the number on a cell, but you don't get any information on what's on that cell, just the number of monsters around it. Naturally, you unlock it by gleaning a bunch of cells in a single stage. It starts off pretty simple at tier I - just gleaning 10 hidden cells after your first click.

So I unlock this Mastery and I buy it. Obviously. I mean, I'm new to the game and I just got to one of its cool unique mechanics, right? Of course I read what it did, but I don't think I fully understood it. Not until I took it into a run. Now, the first stage in each run is always fairly small. I think the Forest - the first stage of the first quest, and also the one I took it into - is usually 8 by 8. They're also never very dense with monsters, usually only having... what, 8, 10? There's a lot of empty space. I say all this so you understand that when I made the first click, it revealed a decent chunk of the board because of the small amount of monsters. And Spy I gleans hidden cells.

Suddenly, the entire board is filled with numbers. Or at least it feels that way in the moment. I basically have the numbers of 90% of the squares on the board. And I don't even need them, because you basically never need to guess on the first stage. I just have, like, twice the information I used to get. It felt like playing on easy mode.

And why? Because I played the game for long enough, basically. Tokens are easy to get, and I basically just stumbled onto the Spy I unlock. I hadn't even beaten the first quest. I don't know what I thought the game was up until that point, but in that moment, I think I understood what the game was supposed to be. I understood with terrible, terrible clarity that I was supposed to be getting stronger, and seeking out better and better Masteries until eventually, I was strong enough to beat the game.

And I haaaated that.

I think I lost my run anyway to some stupid mistake or another shortly afterward. I probably wasn't giving it my A-game. After that, I took off my Mastery and returned to doing runs without one. No, maybe that's too mild a way to phrase it. It might be a melodramatic way to phrase it, but I vowed not to use Masteries from then on. I beat the first quest some time afterward, that way. I don't remember if I unlocked any more, but if I did, I didn't buy them.

I didn't beat the second quest before I made a decision. I was sick at looking at Spy I in my Mastery list. The only one I'd ever bought. I wanted to wash my hands of it and prove I wasn't using them anymore. You can't sell Masteries or anything, so I deleted my entire save file and started over. Like I said, the only progress I had made was beating the first quest, so all I had to do was beat that quest again and I'd be caught right back up with my old save with no Masteries haunting me.

Now, I've beaten the fifth and final quest. Actually, once you do that, you unlock the Hard difficulty, and you have to beat the Hard versions of the quests sequentially as well. I've actually gotten all the way past the fourth quest on Hard. When I made the decision, I remember thinking about the phrase "if you don't like it, don't use it". Implicitly, it continues "and it'll be fine", and I think I wanted to prove that part wrong. At this point in the game, it's painfully obvious that it's balanced around using Masteries. If you don't, it turns into "hope you get the right items or die trying". Which sort of lines up with the difficult reputation of other roguelikes, which is the only thing that gives me pause on that. Still, though, I'm reasonably confident that the game is supposed to be far more forgiving than this.

Some people have asked me if I was ever tempted to give in and use Masteries, and I can honestly say no. I've never wanted to go back. Frankly, I only ever got a Tier I mastery. The Tier III Masteries seem completely unimaginable to me. You know what's funny, though? There's one Mastery, the Prophet, which only gives you XP (purely an unlocking mechanic in this game) and Tokens. Mechanically, it's completely identical to having no Mastery except you just get more progression per run. I felt ripped off. Heck, I still feel ripped off. That's the closest I've come to being tempted, but I didn't use it in the end.

And I know the idea is "oh, you're supposed to play the game however you want to", but... no, it seems clear to me that me feeling and behaving this way was not something the developers accounted for. As far as I can tell, I'm definitely supposed to be jazzed to get new Mastery and upgrade my new ones and get stronger and I'm not.

It's especially clear when there are all these other progression mechanics, too! There are these things called Heirlooms, and they basically allow you to smuggle items into the start of a run, and I'm supposed to be getting all excited about crafting new Heirlooms to get better at the start of runs and I'm not. There are these Divine variants of items that you can unlock via Beyond quests that you craft with collectible Artifacts, and I'm supposed to be invested in that whole chain of events and I'm not. You can "favor" items to make them show up more often, and I'm supposed to be doing that and I actually did because I thought it was kind of a cool system but then the whole Mastery incident happened which caused me to swear off all the progression mechanics and now I'm not. In an update, they added these things called Special Chests and Sigils, and they're some kind of progression thing or another you equip at the start, and I have no idea what they do, but I'm supposed to be curious and excited to find out and I'm not.

All that detail may seem excessive, but I honestly felt it was necessary because... it's a little funny, right? In a sad sort of way? The sheer amount of mechanics this game has that's tied to a part of it I don't care about. It just keeps doubling and tripling and quadrupling down on it and none of it is landing, and that's something I think you can only see the humor once I describe each of them a little bit.

I know I've probably taken up two computer monitors already with this amount of text, but I just find this such an... interesting topic. It might be the most... opinionated experience I've had with any video game to date. And for all this talk about it being clear to me how I'm supposed to feel... I still don't think I truly understand. I don't know what people see in Masteries. In Heirlooms, and Divine items, and Special Chests, and Sigils. In Keepsakes, and Titan Blood, and Darkness. In out-of-run progression mechanics in general. I know I'm intended to like them, but I can't imagine... actually liking them. Like I said...

On top of what Monue Monue said, Hades' out-of-run progress is well balanced enough so that it doesn't get too easy and you'll still depend on your own skills and having a good build rather than just spending money for better stats.

In fact, there's this thing called the Pact of Punishment, which is basically a bunch of options you can turn on or off to make your runs harder in exchange for certain rewards. So even though you seem to prefer roguelikes to roguelites, you could probably still get some good enjoyment out of it.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Criticizing/Disliking SwSh has become such a norm that it's genuinely surprising for many when they learn that there might be a few users here who are serious when they say they'd be happy with a Gen 8 Pokémon.

I really wish there were more people who'd be willing to separate their negative opinions of SwSh from Smash speculation. Most of the issues people have with the games have absolutely no impact on Smash, yet the label of "SwSh" and "Gen 8" is sometimes all that's needed before the idea is completely rejected. Seems like a lot of people would openly admit that they'd prefer double-dipping with Gen 4 and leaving Gen 8's representation as is because "only one of the two is actually good".
At the same time, not enjoying a game can absolutely lead to feeling mixed at best toward a character addition from that game. I'm positive most people would prefer a character from a game they liked as opposed to one they didn't like, because Smash celebrates games. So it's seen as rewarding the subpar if a game they didn't enjoy gets a character.

I didn't buy Sword or Shield because I felt the games were huge steps back in many important ways, but the Pokémon designs were actually really good for the most part. My issue is the Pokémon I'd actually want from the game are probably not happening. I'd like someone like Rillaboom, Corviknight, Dubwool (or even Wooloo), Falinks, Copperajah, Grapploct, Appletun, Calyrex even...but we'd probably end up getting, like, Cinderace for Marketing™. And combine that with a game I'm not thrilled about getting a character and it's just...bleh.

That and as someone whose favorite regions are Hoenn and Unova, having the region from my least favorite Pokémon games get a character while those two are the only ones without would suck.

In the end it's just hard for me to get too excited about a potential Pokémon addition given the context right now.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord

Hat Kid
Spongebob (lmao)
Chrono

Master Chief - Halo: The Master Chief Collection
Zidayne - Final Fantasy IX
Squall - Final Fantasy VIII
Ardyn - Dissidia NT
Doom Slayer - DOOM Eternal

Yeah, I got lots of Final Fantasy this Christmas. I got all these games for Xbox GamePass. I know it's more then 3 but I played quite a bit of games for the past few days.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Oh, Okay now that I could use this as an excuse to elaborate

Pretty much, someone uploaded some Codename leak to 4Chan. As usual, Take with HUGE grain of salt, but just for fun, people tried to decipher the names

/v/ - Video Games » Thread #538216357 (b4k.co)

OG Post

/v/ - My best guess for the Smash Codenames - Video Games - 4chan (4channel.org)

The Active thread that's trying to decipher the names

The Codenames are

Bedlam
Sorrow
Dorako

Just for Fun, Not because it's real.
Bedlam:
Probably a Sleepy Character. Someone from a Dream Realm, like, perhaps, Dreamy Luigi from Mario and Luigi: Dream Team Bros. for the Nintendo 3DS.

Sorrow:
Ryu Hayabusa Lost his father, so I guess that could work. Waluigi could also work, but I have a MUCH better idea! Mad Rat Heart, from MAD RAT DEAD. This game is an Insane Rhythm Platformer with a Bunch of Japanese DJs in the OST and I LOVE IT!

Dorako:
I put this through Google Translate. It means Draco, so probably some sort of Dragon, like Dovahkiin lol.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
The Codenames are

Bedlam
Sorrow
Dorako,

For funsies?

Bedlam: Porky. That kid is pretty crazy.

Sorrow: I have no idea. Pagliacci the sad sad clown? "Biiiiiiiiiiig ugly cloooooooooooooooown ohhh I'm a big faaaaaaaaaaaaaaat ugly cloooooooooooown ohhhhhhhhhh" (that's a Hey Arnold reference)

Dorako: Like katakana for "Draco"? I'm guessing Spyro.

My ACTUAL guesses for who the remaining three are, apart from these codenames?

Porky
Shantae
Spyro

Porky because... I just feel something's going on with Mother and what better way to promote this new thing that may or may not exist than with Smash, the only thing Earthbound has appeared in for an entire generation of people (I feel old).

Shantae. Barring this whole Chun-li thing that may not even be a thing so much as a scrapped thing, I still think a lady is coming (for reasons that don't extend too far beyond a guess) and Shantae wouldn't just be a female character, she's a female character with a strong Nintendo presence who also happens to be "the indie fighter". Plus the belly dancing transformations, magic and ponytail slapping give her something that Smash doesn't already have, so she's a unique DLC package too.

Spyro: NOW.... everyone's expecting Crash... RUMORS about Crash exist... but rumors about Geno existed too and that amounted to nothing. WHAT IF, you're all expecting an orange bandicoot when what REALLY is coming is a purple dragon? I kind of absolutely hate to acknowledge this, but of the two, Spyro HAS been the one that has been around even during "The Absence" thanks to Skylanders (pukes in my mouth). Skylanders, ugly as he looked in those games, has given him some kind of presence in these past years while Crash was just GONE and only recently has started coming back to life (cue the Hailee Steinfeld song). Plus Skylanders kinda started the whole "amiibo" thing so influence points. On top of this, Spyro, by his body shape alone, would give him something Smash doesn't really have a whole lot of already in terms of fighters. He'd immediately stand out as "you have to buy this to play as this kind of fighter".

Of my three guesses, Shantae is probably my shakiest one (I'm a bit biased, I even have my name in the credits of Half-Genie Hero).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Pretty much, someone uploaded some Codename leak to 4Chan. As usual, Take with HUGE grain of salt, but just for fun, people tried to decipher the names

OG Post

/v/ - My best guess for the Smash Codenames - Video Games - 4chan (4channel.org)

The Codenames are

Bedlam
Sorrow
Dorako

Bedlam - Bedlam means chaos, confusion, uproar. ...Phoenix Wright? ORDER IN THE COURT!
Sorrow - I have... no idea whatsoever lmao this could be anyone
Dorako - ...bruh. I can’t even with this

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
NOW.... everyone's expecting Crash... RUMORS about Crash exist... but rumors about Geno existed too and that amounted to nothing. WHAT IF, you're all expecting an orange bandicoot when what REALLY is coming is a purple dragon? I kind of absolutely hate to acknowledge this, but of the two, Spyro HAS been the one that has been around even during "The Absence" thanks to Skylanders (pukes in my mouth). Skylanders, ugly as he looked in those games, has given him some kind of presence in these past years while Crash was just GONE and only recently has started coming back to life (cue the Hailee Steinfeld song). Plus Skylanders kinda started the whole "amiibo" thing so influence points. On top of this, Spyro, by his body shape alone, would give him something Smash doesn't really have a whole lot of already in terms of fighters. He'd immediately stand out as "you have to buy this to play as this kind of fighter".
I think speculators are overrating Crash myself, but at least he HAS a Japanese fanbase. Spyro couldn't even get Spyro 3 localized there because 1 and 2 were butchered.

osby

Smash Obsessed

OG Post

The Codenames are

Bedlam
Sorrow
Dorako

Not that I entertain this "leak" but I'm surprised nobody brought up Soma Cruz for "sorrow".

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

OG Post

The Codenames are

Bedlam
Sorrow
Dorako

Wait a minute, "Sorrow" is another word for "Despair"...

This is how Monokuma wins!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom