• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Yes.

It's a great roguelite that takes the best of the genre (procedural generation with a tight gameplay loop) and leaves out some of the rougher pieces as you get stronger across runs.
Okay, I see a lot of people recommending Hades. As a big roguelike fan, I'm interested in it if only for the sheer number of recommendations, but I don't know much about it. And I would prefer to go in relatively blind if I do decide to pick it up, so I'm not quite willing to just find the wiki.

That part I put in red is kind of the make-or-break part, to me. I've been burned by this sort of thing before, so the details are really important. I'm curious if someone could tell me about that part specifically?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Or, big surprise... I'm going to shock you.
Sakurai only has 100 pictures left, and once they're done, he don't plan to post more, but doesn't mean that when he run out of pictures, that the development is over, just that he has nothing to post, until a character is revealed where he will post the pictures where they appear in. :younglinkmelee:

Because that would mean that all 3 characters get revealed in the following 100 days, and their pictures are in there. And so, in less than 100 weekday those characters get revealed/released.

I don't buy it.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Okay, I see a lot of people recommending Hades. As a big roguelike fan, I'm interested in it if only for the sheer number of recommendations, but I don't know much about it. And I would prefer to go in relatively blind if I do decide to pick it up, so I'm not quite willing to just find the wiki.

That part I put in red is kind of the make-or-break part, to me. I've been burned by this sort of thing before, so the details are really important. I'm curious if someone could tell me about that part specifically?
I just got the game and have been playing it for the past hour. You get a small bit of currency in some and can spend it after runs to slowly get stronger. Its great.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Or, big surprise... I'm going to shock you.
Sakurai only has 100 pictures left, and once they're done, he don't plan to post more, but doesn't mean that when he run out of pictures, that the development is over, just that he has nothing to post, until a character is revealed where he will post the pictures where they appear in. :younglinkmelee:

Because that would mean that all 3 characters get revealed in the following 100 days, and their pictures are in there. And so, in less than 100 weekday those characters get revealed/released.

I don't buy it.
The pictures with the new DLC Characters might not count as "Useable" until they are officially revealed

With that being said, I can see what you are saying

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Compare this to Mario, where I am fully convinced all the new stuff from Odyssey is getting tossed come next game. Cappy's goin' the way of Plessie, who went the way of Glamdozer. I don't want to make all that stuff sound bad, it's just kinda confused me how people hold up Odyssey as a new light of creativity in the Mario series when it's really more stuff like the things we've been getting.
That's because it is, and that's kind of the idea; Once all of the new ideas for a character are used up, they're banished to spin-off purgatory or are never used again in order to be replaced with newer characters and ideas. Plessie isn't quite there yet though, as the species does appear in Super Mario Odyssey. As for Cappy, Pauline, and the bunny guys, they may stick around for the sequel, and some of them might be used once more in a mainline title, but you're right, after that it's either off to purgatory or oblivion with them.

EDIT: It is a little dumb how they throw away characters completely though. Appearances can be sporadic sure, but why nonexistant? They don't even necessarily have to do anything important, just exist in the world. Of course, I'm sure Nintendo would think that's sacrilege considering even Luigi gets left out of games unless he's playable or the face of some random side mode.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Okay, I'm a bit late into the discussion about series that you want Arcsys to make a fighting game out of but, I'm going to say this cause I really really want an anime crossover fighting game, not just Shonen Jump title but other anime adaptation of manga, light novel and some original series. Something like Sword Art Online sorry not sorry × Haruhi Suzumiya × Demon Slayer × Promare which would be dope as hell but I want it to be a step by step thing like Smash did with only 1st party character and like I said not the ones published by Shonen Jump but by Square Enix (yes, that exist) because I want to see Edward Elric be in the front cover of the game next to several other characters from not just manga/light novel that got an anime but the ones that didn't got one or hasn't got one.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
That's because it is, and that's kind of the idea; Once all of the new ideas for a character are used up, they're banished to spin-off purgatory or are never used again in order to be replaced with newer characters and ideas. Plessie isn't quite there yet though, as the species does appear in Super Mario Odyssey. As for Cappy, Pauline, and the bunny guys, they may stick around for the sequel, and some of them might be used once more in a mainline title, but you're right, after that it's either off to purgatory or oblivion with them.

EDIT: It is a little dumb how they throw away characters completely though. Appearances can be sporadic sure, but why nonexistant? They don't even necessarily have to do anything important, just exist in the world. Of course, I'm sure Nintendo would think that's sacrilege considering even Luigi gets left out of games unless he's playable or the face of some random side mode.
wait 10-15 years, the Oddessy gang will be back in full force to make a profit off of the people nostalgic for the game.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

This means 2 things in particular.

1: You get more used to enemy behaivours, strategize more about which chambers to run through, potentially get Keepsakes to help you out, possibly earn Titan Blood to upgrade your weapons, earn Darkness that you can use to invest in permanent upgrades, etc.

2: There's an ingame feature called God Mode, despite the name, it's pretty balanced, God Mode has you get a 20% damage resistance and every time you die, it goes up by 2 until it caps at an 80% resistance. This is off by default and it can be toggled on and off in between runs.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I got to ask

I never understood what the Rouge-like genre meant. What does it mean? like what is the definition?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I got to ask

I never understood what the Rouge-like genre meant. What does it mean? like what is the definition?
Basically just means the rooms and rewards for the dungeons are randomly assorted instead of being intentionally placed ergo making a new experience every single time you play the game. Also implies that on death you lose all your progress and restart from the beginning with newfound loot and knowledge gained from the failed run. Repeat until victory.

kylexv

Smash Master
I just want to say that, judging by responses to this current thread game, the amount of people currently playing Hades pleases me.

That's it, that's the post.
Just bought it today. Only played it for a couple of hours, but I can tell that I'll get a lot more playtime out of it.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
None of the other existing Mii costumes got upgraded, so I never understood why so many people believed Geno's was bound to get special treatment. Maybe Nintendo or SE is responsible for why we didn't get a deluxe, but honestly, I think it's way more believable to say Sakurai did it to save time. It was already there, fully finished. Why go back and tweak it when you could port the costume and work on other stuff instead?

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Even if they just based it on the Wano arc alone, the line-up would be pretty crazy. Here's my take on it, and I'm probably missing some key characters! (Spoiler-tagging since it's up-to-date with the manga version) One character isn't in Wano, but he was added largely because he'd work well as a tutorial boss and it seemed weird to have only his captain and one of his crewmates.

I'd go pretty much the opposite direction and start from the beginning, having just pre-timeskip at launch, and saving later characters for DLC seasons.
The Strawhats(with all their pre-timekip powers up through Shabondy)
1. Luffy
2. Zoro
3. Usopp
4. Sanji
5. Nami
6. Chopper
7. Robin
8. Franky
9. Brook

Major Arc Villains
10. Buggy
11. Kuro
12. Don Krieg
13. Arlong
14. Wapol
15. Crocodile
16. Enel
17. Rob Lucci
18. Moria
19. Magellan

Misc
20. Ace
21. Blackbeard (Banero Island version)
22. Kuma
23. Boa Hancock
24. Bon Clay
25. Kaku
26. Smoker

I can guarantee there will be Pre and Post timeskip versions of Luffy as unique characters.
The timeskip is the only reason I'd be okay with 2.

The One Piece fighting game Burning Blood, already did that (It also had Afro Luffy, Lucy and Gear 4 Luffy)
Exactly what I'd want to avoid. Pulling another DBFZs with its 6 Gokus.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I got to ask

Basically just means the rooms and rewards for the dungeons are randomly assorted instead of being intentionally placed ergo making a new experience every single time you play the game. Also implies that on death you lose all your progress and restart from the beginning with newfound loot and knowledge gained from the failed run. Repeat until victory.
To give an example, The Binding of Isaac has you run through a number of The Legend of Zelda (the first one) style dungeons. Each dungeon is a culmination of various smaller rooms. The rooms that are on any specific map, and the items that are within it are random. The dungeons themselves aren't random though: you always start in The Basement and always end up in The Womb (because something something symbolism). After that, there are branching paths if you meet the requirements for them, not all of which are run specific (citation needed).

Each run is quite different, with a different end goal (due to the branching paths), and item loadout. Due to item synergies, even the same items can behave differently.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Here's a game, a character from the last 3 games you've played will be the final DLC packs. For me this would be:
Impa [HW:AoC]
Illidan [World of Warcraft]
[Star Wars: Squadrons]
[Total Warhammer 2]

sigh Garchomp, I guess [Pokemon Sword]

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Here's a game, a character from the last 3 games you've played will be the final DLC packs. For me this would be:

Hat Kid
Spongebob (lmao)
Chrono

Spongebob with Spongebob Dream stage coming soon!!!
Thrall (Shudderwock shaman rocks)
Dixie Kong
Crash Bandicoot

Not a bad lineup lol.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
I just got the game and have been playing it for the past hour. You get a small bit of currency in some and can spend it after runs to slowly get stronger. Its great.
This means 2 things in particular.

1: You get more used to enemy behaivours, strategize more about which chambers to run through, potentially get Keepsakes to help you out, possibly earn Titan Blood to upgrade your weapons, earn Darkness that you can use to invest in permanent upgrades, etc.

2: There's an ingame feature called God Mode, despite the name, it's pretty balanced, God Mode has you get a 20% damage resistance and every time you die, it goes up by 2 until it caps at an 80% resistance. This is off by default and it can be toggled on and off in between runs.
Okay, we're... skimming over a lot of things here. What are Keepsakes? What is Titan Blood and what kind of upgrades does it give you? What is Darkness? What permanent upgrades?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Okay, we're... skimming over a lot of things here. What are Keepsakes? What is Titan Blood and what kind of upgrades does it give you? What is Darkness? What permanent upgrades?
Keepsakes are items you get when giving characters Nectar, a rare resource you can find. They give boosts that help you through runs and you can upgrade them just by having them equipped. Some increase your health, give you an extra life of sorts, increase liklihood of specific Boons you'll find, give you money, etc.

Titan Blood is an item you get for beating the first and final bosses, it starts out pretty rare but they can upgrade your weapons or unlock new attributes for them, though you can only pick 1 attribute at a time before each run.

Darkness is a resource you'll naturally find, it's basically experience, before every run, you can check the mirror in Zagreus' room and spend Darkness, the upgrades can be for money you start out with, giving an extra dash, extra damage you deal to enemies with certain conditions, an extra life, the ability to reroll your item choices, etc. This can really help you out and not only is completely optional, but you can also reset all upgrades at will if you feel like they make the game too easy, one character in particular will comment on the upgrades or lack thereof.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Keepsakes are items you get when giving characters Nectar, a rare resource you can find. They give boosts that help you through runs and you can upgrade them just by having them equipped. Some increase your health, give you an extra life of sorts, increase liklihood of specific Boons you'll find, give you money, etc.

Titan Blood is an item you get for beating the first and final bosses, it starts out pretty rare but they can upgrade your weapons or unlock new attributes for them, though you can only pick 1 attribute at a time before each run.

Darkness is a resource you'll naturally find, it's basically experience, before every run, you can check the mirror in Zagreus' room and spend Darkness, the upgrades can be for money you start out with, giving an extra dash, extra damage you deal to enemies with certain conditions, an extra life, the ability to reroll your item choices, etc. This can really help you out and not only is completely optional, but you can also reset all upgrades at will if you feel like they make the game too easy, one character in particular will comment on the upgrades or lack thereof.
Ah, okay! Thanks for explaining!

...I don't think I would like Hades.

I already had suspicions that Hades had this type of thing. Well, "suspicions" is a weird way to put it. It's not like it's some kind of secret. Heck, it's probably on the back of the box. My point is, I had already gotten the impression Hades had out-of-run progression. I suppose I asked just to... receive clarification. It occurs to me that... the tone of my posts may have been leading you on a little bit, Is that a jerk move? Sounding interested in this sort of thing and getting you explain it, even though I was almost certain I already knew I wouldn't like it? I guess that is a jerk move. I apologize.

Back to my point, I have trouble explaining why I dislike having out-of-run progression. It's just... fundamentally not something I want out of a roguelike, I suppose. Perhaps it has to do with me being somewhat of a "roguelike boomer". My first introduction to the genre was NetHack. Still, I'm not sure that explains everything...

Frankly, I find it a fascinating thing to discuss.

ZelDan

Smash Master

I already had suspicions that Hades had this type of thing. Well, "suspicions" is a weird way to put it. It's not like it's some kind of secret. Heck, it's probably on the back of the box. My point is, I had already gotten the impression Hades had out-of-run progression. I suppose I asked just to... receive clarification. It occurs to me that... the tone of my posts may have been leading you on a little bit, Is that a jerk move? Sounding interested in this sort of thing and getting you explain it, even though I was almost certain I already knew I wouldn't like it? I guess that is a jerk move. I apologize.

Back to my point, I have trouble explaining why I dislike having out-of-run progression. It's just... fundamentally not something I want out of a roguelike, I suppose. Perhaps it has to do with me being somewhat of a "roguelike boomer". My first introduction to the genre was NetHack. Still, I'm not sure that explains everything...

There's nothing jerkish about what you did at all. The whole point of getting more details about a game is to figure out if you want it or not.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Hell no how the hell is genuinely asking if you'd enjoy a game 'leading someone on'? There's nothing stopping you from eliminating all out of progression methods possible but it does severely limit the game so it sounds like the game just isn't for you, a completely acceptable outcome. If you don't vibe with a game for any reason whatsoever, no one should give you **** for it. I'm glad I was able to help either way though

7NATOR

Smash Master
Ooooh.... fascinating.

Fishinating.
Oh, Okay now that I could use this as an excuse to elaborate

Pretty much, someone uploaded some Codename leak to 4Chan. As usual, Take with HUGE grain of salt, but just for fun, people tried to decipher the names

/v/ - Video Games » Thread #538216357 (b4k.co)

OG Post

/v/ - My best guess for the Smash Codenames - Video Games - 4chan (4channel.org)

The Active thread that's trying to decipher the names

The Codenames are

Bedlam
Sorrow
Dorako

Just for Fun, Not because it's real.

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord

Hat Kid
Spongebob (lmao)
Chrono

Zidane (Final Fantasy IX)
Frisk (Undertale) (technically it was a fangame but I'm counting it for the original game)
The Pilot (Enter the Gungeon) (could also be one of the other Gungeoneers)

(If Frisk doesn't count, substitute in the Bard from Wandersong)

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Oh, Okay now that I could use this as an excuse to elaborate

Pretty much, someone uploaded some Codename leak to 4Chan. As usual, Take with HUGE grain of salt, but just for fun, people tried to decipher the names

/v/ - Video Games » Thread #538216357 (b4k.co)

OG Post

/v/ - My best guess for the Smash Codenames - Video Games - 4chan (4channel.org)

The Active thread that's trying to decipher the names

The Codenames are

Bedlam
Sorrow
Dorako

Just for Fun, Not because it's real.
Just for fun
Shadow is one of the common answers to one of the codenames
7NATOR this is the 7th time this week you've presented Shadow...

Anyways my answers are:
Bedlam: Dante
Sorrow: Chosen Undead
Dorako: Ryu Hayabusa

I just feel 'em you know?

Hat Kid
Spongebob (lmao)
Chrono

Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memories: Sora
Hades: Zagreus
I have no clue who you'd add from Little Inferno.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
7NATOR this is the 7th time this week you've presented Shadow...

Anyways my answers are:
Bedlam: Dante
Sorrow: Chosen Undead
Dorako: Ryu Hayabusa

I just feel 'em you know?

Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memories: Sora
Hades: Zagreus
I have no clue who you'd add from Little Inferno.
Did you read my essay. I Kind of tried to structure it likes yours, in terms of the Essay UI and stuff like that.

and no, I did not post that leak because of Shadow. I just thought it was interesting Discussion. Especially since I was introduced to it by this Dracovich pokemon i did not know. Dorako also is the codename that's the weirdest since it could have many meanings, like Dragon girl or Dragon kid or something like that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom