• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Wait are we still equating sales to Smash likelihood?

Here it comes;

Resident Evil, known as Biohazard in Japan, is premiere action horror gameplay. Among the best selling gaming series ever created, it is the source material for lovable character like Jill, Chris, and Leon. As Smash is a hall of fame, I would love nothing more than to stare at their beautiful faces with other gaming all stars for hours on end.

I can keep going.
Slightly off-topic, but since you're one of the resident (HA) stans here: who do you think would be picked as a character, hypothetically?

Admittedly, I know little of RE, but I don't think it's easy to make any of the protags into alts or Echoes. And imo it would be Jill or Leon, but I wanted to hear from someonw who is more invested in the series.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Toei Sonic my baby! That and maybe some redesigns to bring back Sonic's Edge could make this game BRILLIANT!
Eh... I don't think a Classic-based artstyle would work as well for this sort of thing. At least, I think that's what people mean when they say "Toei Sonic". I think the longer limbs and generally more "anime" feel of Adventure and onwards works better for a fighting game. Not to mention that art style would give us access to the full cast.

That's not really weird.

I think Arc System can really make a Fighting game That fits Sonic style and mechanics

DBFZ is like the Fastest Fighting game in terms of Speed, So I think they know how to capture the Speed of the franchise and stuff

I also think because Sonic's Main Cast is not Super large, you can get alot of the Mainstays, and perhaps make some deep cuts as well like Mephiles, Infinite (cause I don't know if they bring him back) and Dark Sonic

I think they should base the game to be geared more towards casuals, so the One Button Specials like what Granblue does, perhaps one Mechanic that's very versatile like the Burst in Guilty Gear, and Please allow A lot of Combo freedom. Super Transformations would also be sick

I rather they also try to make the Character's movesets as expansive as they can be, rather than try to shove alot of Sonic characters in there.

I also think they should perhaps take the MVC3 Approach and not worry so much about the balance (though they should take it into account), but more the fun of the characters. Let Sonic get Crazy after all.

And Hopefully they make a Killer Story.
See, I've put a frankly-embarassing amount of thought into this. I'd say that the Sonic series has about 16 "mainstays". Some obviously more mainstay than others, but all frequently seen nonetheless. Here, I'll list 'em:

1. Sonic
  2. Tails
  3. Knuckles
  4. Shadow
  5. Rouge
  6. Omega
  7. Amy
  8. Cream
  9. Big
  10. Espio
  11. Charmy
  12. Vector
  13. Blaze
  14. Silver
  15. Eggman
  16. Metal Sonic

Aaand done. For comparison, DBFZ had 24 base characters. There's room to add a couple important not-quite-mainstays in there like Chaos or Gamma, even.

And this isn't getting into DLC, which... I mean, come on, if this game exists, of course it'll have DLC. That could be used to add a variety of deeper cuts - and there's enough potential candidates to more than double the size of the roster.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Eh... I don't think a Classic-based artstyle would work as well for this sort of thing. At least, I think that's what people mean when they say "Toei Sonic". I think the longer limbs and generally more "anime" feel of Adventure and onwards works better for a fighting game. Not to mention that art style would give us access to the full cast.

See, I've put a frankly-embarassing amount of thought into this. I'd say that the Sonic series has about 16 "mainstays". Some obviously more mainstay than others, but all frequently seen nonetheless. Here, I'll list 'em:

1. Sonic
  2. Tails
  3. Knuckles
  4. Shadow
  5. Rouge
  6. Omega
  7. Amy
  8. Cream
  9. Big
  10. Espio
  11. Charmy
  12. Vector
  13. Blaze
  14. Silver
  15. Eggman
  16. Metal Sonic

Aaand done. For comparison, DBFZ had 24 base characters. There's room to add a couple important not-quite-mainstays in there like Chaos or Gamma, even.

And this isn't getting into DLC, which... I mean, come on, if this game exists, of course it'll have DLC. That could be used to add a variety of deeper cuts - and there's enough potential candidates to more than double the size of the roster.
Nah I'm talking Toei Sonic as a Separate Character, though probably as DLC lol.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Well don't this look neat?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Geno Boost

Smash Master

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Speaking of mods, I remembered someone here being able to add songs to Ultimate the other day.

I'm curious: how does it work in detail? Like, is there a file size or length limit, how does volume control work for these songs, how do you pick folders and customize their info tabs, etc.

And how much longer until we can also mod other stuff reliably? I'm especially interested in fanmade Spirits and Spirit battles.
I'll put this all under a spoiler because it's a bit lengthy.

There is no file size or length limit because Smash modding uses a tool called ARCropolis that prevents file sizes from being an issue. I've modded in 30 minute long songs into Smash with no problems.

Volume control is just a simple slider in the program; the default volume for all songs is 2.7, and the current max volume is 20.

The interface for adding songs looks like this:
sm5shmusic.PNG

Where you define what game the song is from (you can even add a new game to the list if the song comes from a game that is not already covered by Smash, as I have done here), if the song is a remix or not, and of course, the name and copyright info of the song in the middle there.

The righthand category is the aforementioned volume slider, the "Sound Test" checkbox determines whether or not the song will show up in the sound test, or if it'll only appear when you're choosing the music for a stage before the match, and the "Special Category" is for defining two things.

The first option is "pinch songs", which is basically stuff like the Street Fighter stage music where it gets faster when the match is almost over. The other options are "Persona 3/4/5 Stage" which basically determines what form Mementos will take if this song was to play on that stage.

The interface for adding songs to playlists looks like this:

sm5shmusic2.PNG

On the left is all the songs you've added to the game, and on the right is the playlist the game uses for the stage(s) in question. You just drag and drop from the left-hand column to the right, and the songs will display in the stage's My Music tab in that order.

The sliders you see on the right-hand column are for "incidence", which basically means how likely these songs are to play on the stage if you choose random music. By default, all added songs at set to 0 incidence because the game obviously doesn't have preset values for them, but you can change them both in this program and in-game with no issues.

Currently, the only thing we know how to add is music. Stuff like Spirits and stages are beyond us right now.

If you have any other questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

Glory2Snowstar

Smash Rookie
Man, that mod looks gorgeous. It truly looks like Geno’s in Smash, and even as a person that never wanted him in that much it feels amazing to see.
My theory is that the Geno costume in Smash was legally a “one and done” sort of effort to construct and SE was giving them the ultimatum of “if you want Geno back use the thing we already gave you permission to make back in Smash 4.”

I have no idea why that would be the case, but Geno being a Legendary Spirit proves that Sakurai cares. So my headcanon is that he didn’t get deluxe-ified due to copyright stuff rather than apathy.

Although I have tons of OCs I like plastering all over Smash’s Mii roster, so a hat that lets you see the face is nice. Could work for one of ‘em if I pretend the orange furls are weird extra tongues.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

There is no file size or length limit because Smash modding uses a tool called ARCropolis that prevents file sizes from being an issue. I've modded in 30 minute long songs into Smash with no problems.

Volume control is just a simple slider in the program; the default volume for all songs is 2.7, and the current max volume is 20.

The interface for adding songs looks like this: View attachment 297571

Where you define what game the song is from (you can even add a new game to the list if the song comes from a game that is not already covered by Smash, as I have done here), if the song is a remix or not, and of course, the name and copyright info of the song in the middle there.

The righthand category is the aforementioned volume slider, the "Sound Test" checkbox determines whether or not the song will show up in the sound test, or if it'll only appear when you're choosing the music for a stage before the match, and the "Special Category" is for defining two things.

The first option is "pinch songs", which is basically stuff like the Street Fighter stage music where it gets faster when the match is almost over. The other options are "Persona 3/4/5 Stage" which basically determines what form Mementos will take if this song was to play on that stage.

View attachment 297572

On the left is all the songs you've added to the game, and on the right is the playlist the game uses for the stage(s) in question. You just drag and drop from the left-hand column to the right, and the songs will display in the stage's My Music tab in that order.

The sliders you see on the right-hand column are for "incidence", which basically means how likely these songs are to play on the stage if you choose random music. By default, all added songs at set to 0 incidence because the game obviously doesn't have preset values for them, but you can change them both in this program and in-game with no issues.

Currently, the only thing we know how to add is music. Stuff like Spirits and stages are beyond us right now.

You made the FeMC version of the P3 stage right? Is there a way to trigger a song setting the stage to the FeMC variant without overwriting the vanilla P3 variant?

am I explaining well enough?

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
You made the FeMC version of the P3 stage right? Is there a way to trigger a song setting the stage to the FeMC variant without overwriting the vanilla P3 variant?

am I explaining well enough?
There is not. Adding new stage forms is another thing that is currently beyond us, so the FeMC version of Mementos currently overwrites the P3 form. I wish that was possible though, because having the stage change to the P3P form only when P3P songs are playing would be cool.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Nah I'm talking Toei Sonic as a Separate Character, though probably as DLC lol.
Honestly, I feel like we'd just get Classic Sonic rather than any of those. And in any case, I think there are better options for characters than additional forms of characters already on the roster. (Hey, didn't we just have this discussion a few days ago?)

And even still, I think there are better options for classic characters (Mighty, Ray, Fang, Honey, Tails Doll, possibly Motobug). And even if we did want a second Sonic, I think the Werehog would be a better choice, if only because there aren't really any other correctly-sized characters from Unleashed.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Honestly, I feel like we'd just get Classic Sonic rather than any of those. And in any case, I think there are better options for characters than additional forms of characters already on the roster. (Hey, didn't we just have this discussion a few days ago?)

And even still, I think there are better options for classic characters (Mighty, Ray, Fang, Honey, Tails Doll, possibly Motobug). And even if we did want a second Sonic, I think the Werehog would be a better choice, if only because there aren't really any other correctly-sized characters from Unleashed.
True, but dang. I just want him back! Who cares if he’s labeled as Classic Sonic I want him to be playable my dude!

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think that Sonic, if it gets another rep, it will probably be another character from the series and not just another version of Sonic.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

The interface for adding songs looks like this: View attachment 297571

View attachment 297572

I see. Sad that we can't even input a PNG with a name and an effect, but I assume the mod community will eventually find a way.

Oh, one more thing: what about loops? Do you have to pick a song that loops well enough or does the game already have a system in place to ensure that?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
People were taking about the Tweet of the Day/Pic of the Day yesterday. I don’t think Sakurai will be posting any until next Monday. Today is the official day of winter vacation for many places, companies, and such. They usually get a week off and Sakurai has stated before (like the Byleth presentation) that they had to record and do content before the break. So, unless I’m mistaken, we won’t be getting any of those fun updates until next Monday.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
They probably will considering that Zavoc keeps coming back.
Y'know, that's something I really like about the Sonic series. It's not afraid to keep adding recurring things to its universe. Like, when it introduces a new character, there's a decent chance that character will stick around. Admittedly, it doesn't happen as much as it used to, but it isn't even limited to main titles! Jet still shows up, there's like a whole arc about Gizoids across multiple games...

Compare this to Mario, where I am fully convinced all the new stuff from Odyssey is getting tossed come next game. Cappy's goin' the way of Plessie, who went the way of Glamdozer. I don't want to make all that stuff sound bad, it's just kinda confused me how people hold up Odyssey as a new light of creativity in the Mario series when it's really more stuff like the things we've been getting.

My point with all this is: as iffy as I am on Zavok as a character, I do enjoy that he is, in fact, a new character that has become actually recurring.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Make One Piece FighterZ!

Just...try not to have more than two Luffys in it...
Even if they just based it on the Wano arc alone, the line-up would be pretty crazy. Here's my take on it, and I'm probably missing some key characters! (Spoiler-tagging since it's up-to-date with the manga version) One character isn't in Wano, but he was added largely because he'd work well as a tutorial boss and it seemed weird to have only his captain and one of his crewmates.

One Piece Wano Roster.png

Also, Fraymakers put out its backer survey, which has me thinking about which indie characters we could realistically get in Smash Bros. at this point. Quote seems somewhat plausible, though I don't know how Nicalis is with letting other companies use him. Shantae seems like another possible front-runner for Smash, but beyond that, I'm not sure.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Make One Piece FighterZ!

Just...try not to have more than two Luffys in it...
I can guarantee there will be Pre and Post timeskip versions of Luffy as unique characters. The One Piece fighting game Burning Blood, already did that (It also had Afro Luffy, Lucy and Gear 4 Luffy)

Seriously though an ArcSys One Piece game would be radical, In fact they have already used the IP Before

One Piece: Great Pirate Coloseum

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Here's a game, a character from the last 3 games you've played will be the final DLC packs. For me this would be:

Hat Kid
Spongebob (lmao)
Chrono

Spongebob with Spongebob Dream stage coming soon!!!
Tifa
Zagreus
Inteleon

I'd be very okay with it, but like 2 FF7 reps in one pass is way too many

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
I have no idea what this game is, so I can't really comment on anything. Though if it really is so huge in South Korea, maybe Nintendo would consider it? I remember that one theory about how the DLC characters were meant to appeal to specific regions, but clearly it didn't pan out...

Also, where's my ArcSys-My Hero Academia fighting game? I DEMAND AN ARCSYS-MY HERO ACADEMIA FIGHTING GAME!!!!!!!
sorry man yo gotta get in line. if arc system is doing anime fighting games i'd expect naruto to be up next. at least naruto would let arc system be more creative than dbz did.

blackghost

Smash Champion
That's not really weird.

I think Arc System can really make a Fighting game That fits Sonic style and mechanics

DBFZ is like the Fastest Fighting game in terms of Speed, So I think they know how to capture the Speed of the franchise and stuff
dbfz is not really an extremely fast game.both marvel 3 and marvel infinite are faster games. dbfz is really slowed by the fact that no one has triangle air dashes.

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
BTW are we finally gonna get new spirits in this week's spirit event? It's been quite a bit of time since it last happened :p

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Here's a game, a character from the last 3 games you've played will be the final DLC packs. For me this would be:

Hat Kid
Spongebob (lmao)
Chrono

Age of Calamity Impa

Shantae

Annnnnnd...Sephiroth.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman

Hat Kid
Spongebob (lmao)
Chrono

Kou Tokisaka (Tokyo Xanadu)
Euden (Dragalia Lost)
and a Gen 8 Pokemon, so I'll choose Mr. Rime just to cause some chaos

A Gen 8 Pokemon doesn't excite me, but Euden would be neat. Kou would be an odd choice for a Falcom rep and I'd prefer Estelle, but his whip gauntlet weapon could make for an interesting moveset.

EDIT: Actually do characters who are fictional within the game's universe count? Because then I could put Estelle or Adol or any Trails/Ys character in via Tokyo Xanadu, since Trails and Ys are in-universe media franchises in the world of Tokyo Xanadu.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
BTW are we finally gonna get new spirits in this week's spirit event? It's been quite a bit of time since it last happened :p
My intuition: either Fortnite, Undertale, some random Square Enix game that has had a Switch release that is NOT TWEWY, ooooooooorrrrrr Overwatch.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Hat Kid
Spongebob (lmao)
Chrono

For me it would be:

Zagreus (Hades)
Alucard (Castlevania SotN)
Angela (Lobotomy Corporation/Library of Ruina)

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Hat Kid
Spongebob (lmao)
Chrono

Sonic the Werehog (continuing the trend of dumping on Byleth's distance demon title :4pacman:)
Don-Chan
Lego Spider-Man

Faso115

Smash Lord
I want Henry Stickmin spirits but those aren't happening just yet. Not until they port that game to the switch.

Maybe Among Us since it's really popular atm

Munchi

Smash Journeyman

Hat Kid
Spongebob (lmao)
Chrono

Melia(Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition)
Pauline(Super Mario Odissey)
Alice(Deemo)

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Hat Kid
Spongebob (lmao)
Chrono

Doomguy (Doom Eternal)
Zagreus (Hades)
Goku (Dragon Ball FighterZ)

I'd be fine with this line-up, even if Goku's inclusion would open up the floodgates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom