• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Not that I entertain this "leak" but I'm surprised nobody brought up Soma Cruz for "sorrow".
Soma Cruz still sounds to me like a name of a car, not a character.

"Introducing the new Soma Cruz from Toyota."

Still secretly want "sorrow" to be Pagliacci the Sad Clown

Wait a minute, "Sorrow" is another word for "Despair"...

This is how Monokuma wins!
Just in time too, with the Game Grumps playing that game

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Okay. Actual Predictions, because I'm bored:
Ryu Hayabusa: He's Borderline Inevitable due to Reasons already stated better by others so I'm not going to waste too much time here.

Some Random First Party: Gut Feeling, especially since I think the 2021 Character is probably.....

SMTV Protag: He has a Bunch of the Same Evidence Byleth had, Unique World, Unique, never before seen Playstyle,, Good Company Relation between Nintendo and SEGA Sammy, and an additional Backup Plan Byleth didn't even have, with other Protagonists in case of delays. Content for Days, I think this character is in a SURPRISINGLY Good Spot Right Now, considering they're a 2021 Third Party Character Trust Me, I am JUST as Shocked as You Gays are lol.
Also:
Not that I entertain this "leak" but I'm surprised nobody brought up Soma Cruz for "sorrow".
Yeah that's Kinda Perfect lol.

Last edited:

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
The Codenames are

Bedlam
Sorrow
Dorako

Just for Fun, Not because it's real.
Bedlam - uhhhh the Lord of Calamity caused quite a bit of bedlam, so Velvet Crowe
Sorrow - hmmmmm no idea. Sora is sort of a vowel sound away from Sorrow
Dorako - the Dragon of Dojima himself, Kazuma Kiryu

Powerman293

Smash Ace
None of the other existing Mii costumes got upgraded, so I never understood why so many people believed Geno's was bound to get special treatment. Maybe Nintendo or SE is responsible for why we didn't get a deluxe, but honestly, I think it's way more believable to say Sakurai did it to save time. It was already there, fully finished. Why go back and tweak it when you could port the costume and work on other stuff instead?
I mean, a handful of people got it done in less than a week, and it wasn't their full time job. So it couldn't have been THAT expensive.

Unless Geno is worth so little that nobody is willing to pay employees a week's salary to add-on to his costume.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Oh, Okay now that I could use this as an excuse to elaborate

Pretty much, someone uploaded some Codename leak to 4Chan. As usual, Take with HUGE grain of salt, but just for fun, people tried to decipher the names

/v/ - Video Games » Thread #538216357 (b4k.co)

OG Post

/v/ - My best guess for the Smash Codenames - Video Games - 4chan (4channel.org)

The Active thread that's trying to decipher the names

The Codenames are

Bedlam
Sorrow
Dorako

Okay, if we're doing it just for fun, my guesses would be:

Bedlam: Chosen Undead, because of the Undead Asylum - apparently the words were used as synonyms, specifically in the medieval era.

Sorrow: I have no freaking clue. The closest associations I could make were Castlevania, Metal Gear or Klonoa.

Dorako: Ryu Hayabusa. First name sounds close to "dragon", he's part of the Dragon Ninja clan and he uses the Dragon Sword.

For the record, I think any rumor that includes more than one character at this point is a big red flag considering the last few characters were mostly leaked individually a few days beforehand.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I mean, a handful of people got it done in less than a week, and it wasn't their full time job. So it couldn't have been THAT expensive.

Unless Geno is worth so little that nobody is willing to pay employees a week's salary to add-on to his costume.
Or they treated Geno the same way as literally every other returning Mii Costume

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Tis today Tuesday. What shall we get today?

A tourney? An event?

Will there be a disconfirmation today?

We shall see tonight.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Lowkey surprised Overwatch hasn’t gotten a spirit event yet

if it happens this soon before Crash gets in tho (assuming he’s in) it may not bode well for him, it’s the same feeling i got when ArcSys got a River City event before a playable character

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

if it happens this soon before Crash gets in tho (assuming he’s in) it may not bode well for him, it’s the same feeling i got when ArcSys got a River City event before a playable character
I'm actually gonna be honest. I'm starting to find Crash's chances becoming less likely now as time goes.

I honestly don't think he's gonna get in. If we get anyone at E3 this year I expect someone more around the lines of like Ryu Hayabusa.

Mapusaurus

Smash Apprentice

As much as I would like crash i dont think he will be in most liklely

CureParfait

Smash Ace

I feel like if Crash was in he might be a spirit possibly. Since seems like Crash's chance of being a fighter is going down.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
You know I kinda thought that if Geno didn't get a Mii in Smash 4, he probably would have gotten a "premium" treatment in Ultimate. Some people seem to forget Geno was given the most deluxe treatment out of any fighter in the DLC for 4. He was the only one who got a splash screen out of any Mii costume in the entire game and I think that's where a lot of people probably expected special treatment. It seems like it was just easy to port over the assets (althought the Chocobo Hat seems different than the original so hm) while focus on the more important stuff.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
All I can say is the most I expect as among the final three is a Capcom rep but that's it.

Sakurai and Nintendo are such wildcards.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
It's kind of a shame none of the other Spirit Boards got up to the amount of Spirits that Sephy's did. His is currently the only Spirit Board to get more than 11 Spirits (in his case, 13). This is something I find especially egregious with Byleth's and Min Min's Spirit Board; they're both owned by Nintendo, so what's stopping the team from adding more characters to their respective Spirit Boards?

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Oh, Okay now that I could use this as an excuse to elaborate

Pretty much, someone uploaded some Codename leak to 4Chan. As usual, Take with HUGE grain of salt, but just for fun, people tried to decipher the names

/v/ - Video Games » Thread #538216357 (b4k.co)

OG Post

/v/ - My best guess for the Smash Codenames - Video Games - 4chan (4channel.org)

The Active thread that's trying to decipher the names

The Codenames are

Bedlam
Sorrow
Dorako

Well, I don't have that much of an idea for them, but maybe

Belam - Reimu Hakurei

Reimu's name means spirit dreamer, and not only that, but Touhou is also pretty chaotic, so maybe it could work.

Sorrow - Soma Cruz

This is mainly because his games are named "Aria of Sorrow" and "Dawn of Sorrow", not really another explanation. Otherwise, I don't know.

Dorako - Corrin 2 electric boogaloo with the female alt as the default.

For real, I don't know for this one.

All of these were strectches, but it's kinda fun to do I guess.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
It's kind of a shame none of the other Spirit Boards got up to the amount of Spirits that Sephy's did. His is currently the only Spirit Board to get more than 11 Spirits (in his case, 13). This is something I find especially egregious with Byleth's and Min Min's Spirit Board; they're both owned by Nintendo, so what's stopping the team from adding more characters to their respective Spirit Boards?
Final Fantasy literally needed all the help it could get in terms of representation outside of Cloud/Midgar. Let's be real here.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You know I kinda thought that if Geno didn't get a Mii in Smash 4, he probably would have gotten a "premium" treatment in Ultimate. Some people seem to forget Geno was given the most deluxe treatment out of any fighter in the DLC for 4. He was the only one who got a splash screen out of any Mii costume in the entire game and I think that's where a lot of people probably expected special treatment. It seems like it was just easy to port over the assets (althought the Chocobo Hat seems different than the original so hm) while focus on the more important stuff.
The Geno costume got a few graphical updates, too. Not impressive, but it’s not a straight port.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Let's be honest. Geno was pretty much a long-shot to begin with.

Both Ridley and K. Rool were long-recurring villains and arch-nemesis' of the protagonists of their franchises and among some of Nintendo's most iconic villains.

Banjo was from one of the best-selling games on the N64 and a popular and iconic game from the N64 games being the protagonist, a well-beloved character from nostalgic fans. He was even on the boxart of N64 with Mario, Link, Donkey Kong, and Pikachu.

Simply put, Geno was a side character whose only appearance was from an almost 25-year-old RPG game and hasn't appeared since. He never really compared to those three.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master

Both Ridley and K. Rool were long-recurring villains and arch-nemesis' of the protagonists of their franchises and among some of Nintendo's most iconic villains.

Banjo was from one of the best-selling games on the N64 and a popular and iconic game from the N64 games being the protagonist, a well-beloved character from nostalgic fans. He was even on the boxart of N64 with Mario, Link, Donkey Kong, and Pikachu.

Simply put, Geno was a side character whose only appearance was from an almost 25-year-old RPG game and hasn't appeared since. He never really compared to those three.
I mean, SMRPG was a large game at the time. It sold like 2 Million copies. That wasn't far behind Banjo and K Rool's games in terms of sales.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Geno did get one cameo appearance in another game, but otherwise more or less correct.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
The Castlevania rep we truly need. Seriously, no joking. He would be super dope. He has a cool design and gameplay wise he could bring interesting ideas, such as the soul system from the Sorrow games.

Also, he
would be the closest thing to play as Dracula in Smash, and that's cool

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The Castlevania rep we truly need. Seriously, no joking. He would be super dope. He has a cool design and gameplay wise he could bring interesting ideas, such as the soul system from the Sorrow games.

Also, he
would be the closest thing to play as Dracula in Smash, and that's cool
Imagine using Soma against Boss!Dracula

“who are you?”
“I’m you but cooler”

Dinoman96

Smash Master
The only one-off characters that typically get into Smash are like, the main protagonists like Lucas and most of the FE characters.

I think Sheik is probably the closest Smash has to characters like Geno or Midna. A supporting character who really only appeared in one mainline game...but she's more or less excused by the fact that she's just, you know, Zelda in another outfit.

I guess there's also Dark Pit...but he's just a glorified alt costume of Pit with like one or two differences anyways. Unlike Geno who would have to a full blown newcomer.

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
Sorrow is Geno because that's what his fans are experiencing with the Mii Costume.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Turns out Sorrow is in actuality the new Gen 9 water starter Pokemon. He's just a REALLY REALLY SAD Pokemon that cries ALL THE BLOODY TIME and entire Hydro Pumps full of tears are flying out of this thing's face if someone so much as glances at it. It's a really sad.... I dunno... some sort of aquatic creature that cries all the time.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Criticizing/Disliking SwSh has become such a norm that it's genuinely surprising for many when they learn that there might be a few users here who are serious when they say they'd be happy with a Gen 8 Pokémon.
I say this as someone with a complete Living Pokedex and who actually likes Sw/Sh...

I have no interest in more Pokemon. It's not AS bad as Fire Emblem, because at least Pokemon's popularity justifies it's level of representation. But don't expect me to be excited about any more of them coming to Smash.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't know if Epic would want to Fortnite to be represented in Smash with nothing more than a Spirit Event. I also think that the chances of a Gen 8 Pokemon are dead because of the Spirit Event.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
I'd like Ryu Hayabusa in Smash ONLY because then TECHNICALLY Dead or Alive would be repped in Smash and that's just an offer I can't refuse. Gotta stop DOATEC from screwing around with all the things. They already engineered both Alpha-152 and Phase 4 into existence based on Kasumi, don't let them get their hands on Mewtwo, who is already engineered to be "the world's strongest Pokemon" or Sephiroth and his Jenova cells.

Also if some of the DOA girls show up as Spirits in Hayabusa's set then uhhhhh I'm certainly not gonna argue about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom