• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Huh, this still exists. Wonder how many people would argue against a LoL character because "They have their own fighting game so they shouldn't taint the purity of Smash" or whatever

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Huh, this still exists. Wonder how many people would argue against a LoL character because "They have their own fighting game so they shouldn't taint the purity of Smash" or whatever
Y'know, the fact that you brought this up is funny because I was just remembering this one specific meme at this very moment:
1619069370715.png

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Y'know, the fact that you brought this up is funny because I was just remembering this one specific meme at this very moment:
View attachment 312364
The part of this meme that left me gasping for air with laughter wasn’t the joke itself, but sheer amount of empty space in the speech bubble. It makes the image 10x funnier.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
As a MOBA guy, I've always kinda been intrigued by HotS, but something about it felt off and I can't tell why. Which is a shame, because there were some ideas that could be developed further into unique stuff.
It’s the lack of depth, which is what makes the genre so enticing in the first place. The game is too simple and you don’t feel as impactful when there’s no gold or items. It’s a shame too because the blizz character pantheon is great and lots of their hero designs for that game are super interesting.

Would Slime be more akin to Piranha Plant or would Slime be more akin to Pikachu?

Slime was one of if not the only non-Poke "generic enemy" that had some popularity prior to Piranha Plant. At least, the only one that immediately comes to mind. No other mooks really have any popularity, even with PP getting included. It wouldn't be a very wtf, deliberately surprise choice - I mean Slime is the mascot of DQ, and Pikachu is the mascot of Pokemon.
They’re both mascots but slimes are never the focal point of DQ games like pokemon are too pokemon, so I don’t think it’s quite the same thing either. Stuff like Jibanyan, Monokuma, or Agumon getting in over the main playable characters makes sense, while slime getting in over the hero never did.

Shroob

Sup?
Since y'all tend to talk about Sakura Wars occasionally

Apparently the mobile game over in Japan is ceasing operation soon.

Granted, apparently, the company that runs it has a kinda bad habit of poorly handling games that aren't its big cash cow..... that being Fate/Grand Order.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Since y'all tend to talk about Sakura Wars occasionally

Apparently the mobile game over in Japan is ceasing operation soon.

Granted, apparently, the company that runs it has a kinda bad habit of poorly handling games that aren't its big cash cow..... that being Fate/Grand Order.
What is it about in the first place? The mobile game

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
What is it about in the first place? The mobile game
Dunno, literally first time I heard about it tonight with people bemoaning that "Delightworks killing another game".

Apparently it was an extremely expensive game to make, but it only lasted about half a year.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Death penalty is too light.

Force them to play 10 hours of solo queue.
Pfft, solo queue.

Ever tried duo queuing? Kills friendships faster than Mario Kart, even! :4pacman:

As for the fighting game, the beta tests have been reported for a while now. We're most likely looking at an EVO reveal, since that's where it was first announced.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Dunno, literally first time I heard about it tonight with people bemoaning that "Delightworks killing another game".

Apparently it was an extremely expensive game to make, but it only lasted about half a year.
Expensive is putting it lightly. Apparently Sega spent like 30 million dollars on it's development and marketing. For it to close down in just half a year is tremendously bad. Delight Works shares some of the blame because they're an incompetent company that got lucky with Fate/Grand Order carrying everything with it's brand name. DW is a joke when you compare them to Cygames or miHoYo.

Regardless, Sakura Wars' revival is definitely a failure after this catastrophe. The PS4 game underperformed on it's sales expectations and this mobile game costed Sega millions, the IP probably will be shelved after this and we won't see it for a long time.

Shroob

Sup?
Expensive is putting it lightly. Apparently Sega spent like 30 million dollars on it's development and marketing. For it to close down in just half a year is tremendously bad. Delight Works shares some of the blame because they're an incompetent company that got lucky with Fate/Grand Order carrying everything with it's brand name. DW is a joke when you compare them to Cygames or miHoYo.

Regardless, Sakura Wars' revival is definitely a failure after this catastrophe. The PS4 game underperformed on it's sales expectations and this mobile game costed Sega millions, the IP probably will be shelved after this and we won't see it for a long time.
Errrr, dunno about that one tbf.

Agree with Cygames though. The fact that Rage of Bahamut is still alive after like, 10 years, and Granblue after 7 is definitely a company that knows what they're doing. Not even to mention their current massive success with Uma.

Last edited:

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
The circumstance surrounding Sakurai Kakumei wasn't that simple as "another Delight Works failure".
The quality of the game was a nightmare from the start but people were just making fun of it then quickly forgot about it by the end of January.
The reason it blew up so bad since March was because of a leak tells that Hideo Baba was actually in charge of the project despite his name isn't on the credits.
This leak was sent to a famous gaming news YouTuber Nakaido, and it predicted future events for the game correctly and was also exposing internal affairs a lot. But the portion with Baba was the one made people exasperate of course, even a legit news site Business Journal showed up and backed up the leak, thus the end began.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Something that's been on my mind recently, thanks to NieR Replicant: if we got someone from NieR, would it be... well, Nier, or 2B?

Way I see it, Automata was what brought the series out of obscurity, but even so, the originals are beloved and I really can't see the remake flopping unless Square ****s up royally.

Tbh, I don't see either happening rn unless a Volume 3 is announced, but I wanted to put the question out there. As for me, I'm partial to 2B, but I also loved Gestalt (still one of the best games I've ever played) and there is a decent chance that we could get content from the other game no matter who was picked, so I'd probably be a happy Saurus regardless.

Thoughts?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Something that's been on my mind recently, thanks to NieR Replicant: if we got someone from NieR, would it be... well, Nier, or 2B?

Way I see it, Automata was what brought the series out of obscurity, but even so, the originals are beloved and I really can't see the remake flopping unless Square ****s up royally.

Tbh, I don't see either happening rn unless a Volume 3 is announced, but I wanted to put the question out there. As for me, I'm partial to 2B, but I also loved Gestalt (still one of the best games I've ever played) and there is a decent chance that we could get content from the other game no matter who was picked, so I'd probably be a happy Saurus regardless.

Thoughts?
Well, Sakurai loves both Nier games and the Drakengard games, so no matter who we got we'd definitely get content from both. I think that it's likely 2B will be the one chosen - she was the breakout star and is Square's crossover darling. That said, getting Nier, especially with Replicant out, isn't so crazy, and both would be excellent. My preference is 2B since I love her just a little bit more, but any Nier representation is fine with me.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I’d be more inclined to predict 2B, but both Nier and Drakengard have had so little history with the big N that it makes Persona look like a long associated Nintendo franchise by comparison. Doesn’t make it impossible, but including her does feel quite a jump given the series clear legacy with Sony.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
To be honest, a mature franchise with no real association on Nintendo consoles that's going through a second wind in light of a successful entry feels exactly like the kind of thing they'd add just to target the demographic. I don't care for Nier at all but it wouldn't be surprising considering how I still hear about 2B's butt years later.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Does anyone else have songs they want to see in Smash, but don't want to be remixed because the original song is just so perfect that a remix would probably feel like a step down?

For me, that'd be "Last Battle" from Cave Story (specifically the version I linked) and "Confronting Yourself" from Celeste.
I have a LOT of songs, so much that it'd take a long time to list, and I don't feel like listing them right now.

Pffffft, that argument has already been debunked by Ryu, Ken, and Terry.

Though how likely would Sakura Shinguji getting added to the Smash roster be to boost that mobile game's sales (or microtransactions)?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Thoughts?
If a third party franchise has a revolving cast, Smash tends to go for the most popular one so 2B's my guess

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
You know, I kinda wish Sakura Shinguji was in Vol. 1 so more people would be interested in the series.

…I also kinda wish the soft reboot wasn’t chained to being a PS4 exclusive.
Oh well. At least they were willing to take a risk for once. Just because people say they want something doesn't mean that thing will succeed. Remember, Atlus was legit shocked by how well the Persona 4 Golden Steam port did.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Regarding Slime, reminder that it almost did get in over Hero, as Sakurai was fine with adding a Slime as a fighter if they didn't let him add the DQ heroes.

I could see Slime getting in if DQ returns in the next game and a second character is possible (at least, I'd like a slime as a fighter).

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
:ulthero: is the default Hero and I don’t think he’s the most popular Dragon Quest protagonist.
There's a surprising amount of evidence that suggests Erdrick was what they wanted to go for only for SE to ask for Eleven, not to mention that unlike the Heroes, Nier and 2B can't exactly work as alts

Ivander

Smash Legend
The reason it blew up so bad since March was because of a leak tells that Hideo Baba was actually in charge of the project despite his name isn't on the credits.
This leak was sent to a famous gaming news YouTuber Nakaido, and it predicted future events for the game correctly and was also exposing internal affairs a lot. But the portion with Baba was the one made people exasperate of course, even a legit news site Business Journal showed up and backed up the leak, thus the end began.
This is mostly what I've been hearing as well. Supposedly, Hideo Baba was very strict or very frustrating to work with and it was enough for some people at Delight Works to quit their job, which added up when info of Delight Works showed up and the number of people who were working there had dropped significantly.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
This is mostly what I've been hearing as well. Supposedly, Hideo Baba was very strict or very frustrating to work with and it was enough for some people at Delight Works to quit their job, which added up when info of Delight Works showed up and the number of people who were working there had dropped significantly.
This is the first I'm hearing of this Hideo Baba person. Just how bad IS he?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I wonder how different things would have been had we got Slime instead of Hero?

Like what?
Hero's trailer put more emphasis on Erdrick with Erdrick getting the final smash when no other alt got priority for a final smash, Kirby's Hero hat uses Erdrick when no other hat has Kirby use an alt instead of the default and Erdrick's the only one who appeared in another CG section

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Today I will deliberately ignore that someone worded their post in such a way that it implies an exception or two in order to pick a pointless argument.

Ivander

Smash Legend
This is the first I'm hearing of this Hideo Baba person. Just how bad IS he?
He was originally the main producer or brand manager of the Tales series starting around 2006. And he was fine with that role for quite a while. Then the issues and controversies with Tales of Zestiria happened and oh boy...

It should be noted that he was hired and given a studio by Square Enix in 2017 and he was creating a game called Project Prelude Rune, but not only was the game cancelled in 2019, but Hideo Baba left and the studio was closed around the same time as well.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Hero's trailer put more emphasis on Erdrick with Erdrick getting the final smash when no other alt got priority for a final smash, Kirby's Hero hat uses Erdrick when no other hat has Kirby use an alt instead of the default and Erdrick's the only one who appeared in another CG section
Actually that is not true, the coronet, sword and shield is based off Erdwin from Dragon Quest 11. Note the jewel colour, sword hilt and shield of Hero Kirby and compare it to Erdrick. The other two points can basically be simply attributed to Erdrick’s popularity and not suggestive one way or another that he was intended to be default.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom