• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
If Neku would get a Mii Costume, would he primarily be a Swordman, Brawler or Gunner? I haven't played the game, but he looks like a character that could kinda fit all three at first glance.
Yeah, you're right, He would kinda fit with any of them.

Considering that he doesn't wield any type of weapon (the melee attacks he does are magic-like if I'm not mistaken) in promotional art and all, I guess they would go with the Mii Brawler, and I think that would be the best choice to be honest.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
I still find the lack of effort put into Mario Party the biggest offender. That game had some really nice mini games; it was fun! But with only 4 damn boards, it got old QUICK.
The fact that the new Mario Party title for the Switch had less content than all four of the GCN Mario Parties (Which came out on a near-annual basis) is insulting. How is ND Cube still messing it up after like 5 tries??

cashregister9

Smash Hero
This Mii talk has me wondering

If you could add 3 more Mii classes to the game what classes would you do and what costumes could fit them?

I would go with

Mii Mage - All spellcaster costumes

Mii Berserker (An axe wielding heavyweight class) - Hector from Fire Emblem, If you stretch the axe to be a sword or Hammer, Amy from Sonic I could see as well

Mii Pilot (Mech class) - Tron Bonne, D.VA

Technomage

Smash Champion

If you could add 3 more Mii classes to the game what classes would you do and what costumes could fit them?

I would go with

Mii Berserker (An axe wielding heavyweight class) - Hector from Fire Emblem, If you stretch the axe to be a sword or Hammer, Amy from Sonic I could see as well

I don't know about the other two, but I did come up with an idea of a "Mii Joker" class, which would have a joke moveset that is not only weak, but also has animations that are done at the expense of the character itself (such as having a recovery that involves slipping on a banana peel). As for costumes, they could consist of comedic characters, hated characters, and traditionally-joke characters. Examples could include: Slippy Toad, Tingle, Bubsy the Bobcat, Lester the Unlikely, Glass Joe, Dan Hibiki, Bad Box Art Mega Man, and CD-i Link.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

I would go with

Mii Mage is the obvious one. The spellcasters and staff users just don't look natural with the swordfighter motions.
Maybe a Mii Beast? Or maybe Mii Monster would fit better. Encompasses all the animal costumes; Acts like a wilder, heavy-hitting Mii Brawler with less defense.
After that... Yeah, the Berserker works too. A melee zoner for all the polearms.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace

I would go with

I agree with you on Mii Mage and Bersker.

For the third Mii I'd add Mii Racer. Basically serving as a Mario Kart character in Smash (Kind of weird that we don't have one yet). No moveset customization as a result; you'd choose between karts instead.

mii.png

Neutral B could be the Rocket Boost, which holds you in place until you release the button at a certain time, which boosts you forward.
Side B could be the drift. You slide along the ground and wiggle the control stick to build up sparks like in MK, and you release to have your kart lunge in the direction of the control stick as a powerful tackle.
Up B could deploy the glider.
Down B could be the Item Box, which gives you a random item each time. Obviously it'd have a cooldown between uses.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think the admitted awkwardness of doing a racer via touchscreen smartphone probably has probably limited some of the potential sales of MK Tour; too many just prefer an actual controller for Mario Kart.

You know in hindsight I'm surprised that Nintendo's never tried an outright Mario mobile RPG. Yeah I'm not overly fond of Mario Role Playing Games being ventures for gacha mechanics, but from a practical standpoint that's a series that's a far more natural fit for the market and in terms of incentives for in game purchases, there's certainly numerous past weapons/characters/elements from older titles to pull from.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
I think the admitted awkwardness of doing a racer via touchscreen smartphone probably has probably limited some of the potential sales of MK Tour; too many just prefer an actual controller for Mario Kart.

You know in hindsight I'm surprised that Nintendo's never tried an outright Mario mobile RPG. Yeah I'm not overly fond of Mario Role Playing Games being ventures for gacha mechanics, but from a practical standpoint that's a series that's a far more natural fit for the market and in terms of incentives for in game purchases, there's certainly numerous past weapons/characters/elements from older titles to pull from.
If we were to get a mobile Mario RPG, then I just hope that Nintendo doesn't try to ignore their spinoff characters like they always do for their main series.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
If we were to get a mobile Mario RPG, then I just hope that Nintendo doesn't try to ignore their spinoff characters like they always do for their main series.
The brilliantly cynical thing would be to tease spin-off characters specifically for purchase/roulette.

"You can once again play as Vivian!

...If you pay for the Thousand Year Door pass that is."

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
The brilliantly cynical thing would be to tease spin-off characters specifically for purchase/roulette.

Unless you're Xenoblade Chronicles 2, buying DLC party members for RPGs usually doesn't happen.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Nintendo seems pretty over mobile games. Pokemon aside, I don't think any of them have been the success Nintendo was looking for, other than FEH. They were also measure taken when Wii U was bombing to get some revenue coming in and increase the visibility of Nintendo's IP. Now the Switch is killing it and Nintendo has angled away from continuing with its mobile ventures, bar supporting the existing ones.

We are getting that Pikmin "game" from Niantic, but I think Pokemon Go and wanting to elevate the Pikmin IP are the motivators on that one. It's not exactly Nintendo EPD devoting manpower and resources like they did in the past with their others. I mean, what happened to that Zelda game? Where is it?

Technomage

Smash Champion
Unless you're Xenoblade Chronicles 2, buying DLC party members for RPGs usually doesn't happen.
Or Final Fantasy Opera Omnia, though in that game, you'll eventually be able to get party members without spending a penny.

It's too bad there aren't more mobile games as generous as Opera Omnia.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Well I mean that just as an example of the kind of Mario RPG directed nostalgia purchase Nintendo could hypothetically do for a mobile role playing game. Something like doing in an game purchase of badges as opposed to finding them could work just as well.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace

Straight up evil. Nintendo finally acknowledges the existence of the Classic Paper Mario partners and lets them into a game again... as microtransactions.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Straight up evil. Nintendo finally acknowledges the existence of the Classic Paper Mario partners and lets them into a game again... as microtransactions.
Not saying they would definitively do this, but given Dixie Kong only got in Mario Kart (and DK Jr back to the franchise at all) via Tour, it doesn't feel entirely without precedent.

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
Do you all think the Diablo + Dark Souls Amiibo will ever get spirit functionality like the rest?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Not taking full advantage of the Switch for older games is kind of Square Enix's thing anyway, but TR is definitely one where SE probably could make some decent money releasing Tomb Raider collections and ports for it.

Ivander

Smash Legend

It is going to be a long time till the next character reveal, isn't it? I know we didn't exactly enjoy speculating which ARMS character was getting in, but a hint on the next character would be nice to alleviate some of the waiting.

I feel like we're about to start re-visiting character topics over and over at some point.

cashregister9

Smash Hero

It is going to be a long time till the next character reveal, isn't it? I know we didn't exactly enjoy speculating which ARMS character was getting in, but a hint on the next character would be nice to alleviate some of the waiting.

I feel like we're about to start re-visiting character topics over and over at some point.
At Least we have a Month where we will most likely get information, It's still over a month away but the dates exist

and thus is the vicious cycle of the Speculation thread

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
That'd be any company's gacha to be fair lol

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
At least with E3, we'll finally be done with Smash Ultimate. I'd only be sad if the last characters released were busted as **** and immediately top tier with no patch in sight to balance it. Happened with Bayonetta and I have a feeling it'll happen again.

But to be fair I'm only saying this because the other fighting game I play did the exact same ****.

1619130027470.png

Last edited:

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
Depends on whether or not we get any spirit events for the two, though I do think it's likely.
Yeah, at least for Dark Souls. The Amiibo released globally, and though the Shovel Knight 3 Pack proved that region locks don't matter for Smash compatibility, I think that increases its chances.

Also, Souls is owned by Bamco, who is already very involved with Smash and has content in the game. I think (hope) that Souls stuff, in some form, will come to Ultimate... The absence from base roster is what gets me. The timing was perfect, and the amiibo shows that they were likely willing to slap a PNG in there. Ok, I'll stop harping on Dark Souls in Smash for a while

Technomage

Smash Champion
At least with E3, we'll finally be done with Smash Ultimate. I'd only be sad if the last characters released were busted as **** and immediately top tier with no patch in sight to balance it. Happened with Bayonetta and I have a feeling it'll happen again.

But to be fair I'm only saying this because the other fighting game I play did the exact same ****.

View attachment 312417
Well, one of the reasons that Cereza was so cheap and overpowered in Smash 4 was because Sakurai was too focused on Ultimate's development to pay attention to the feedback on her, which was why he was so surprised at people's reactions toward her in that Ultimate showcase where she was comboing Ridley.

Assuming Sakurai won't start development on Smash 6 immediately after CP11 (which he likely won't), I don't see the same issue coming up for it.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master

View attachment 312417
I haven't paid much attention to the FighterZ meta, but Is Gogeta considered broken in the same vain as Bayonetta or even other FighterZ characters like Pre patch 16 and GT Goku? I thought he was considered a very good, potentially top tier character, but not one that's centralizing the meta

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Well, one of the reasons that Cereza was so cheap and overpowered in Smash 4 was because Sakurai was too focused on Ultimate's development to pay attention to the feedback on her, which was why he was so surprised at people's reactions toward her in that Ultimate showcase where she was comboing Ridley.
It wasn't just her, Cloud was also stupid at his peak. They reigned the top tiers as kings and queens. Get ready for your Baboom meta. :nifty:

Technomage

Smash Champion
It wasn't just her, Cloud was also stupid at his peak. They reigned the top tiers as kings and queens. Get ready for your Baboom meta. :nifty:
Ah, I forgot about Cloud, though I don't think he was considered as cheap as Bayo.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Oh, I forgot to mention this video for my point about SSB4 Bayo:

I think he was mostly problematic in doubles. After a balance patch, most people didn't mind him much outside of that context.
So, I guess that's the other reason Cloud's cheapness wasn't discussed as much.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I haven't paid much attention to the FighterZ meta, but Is Gogeta considered broken in the same vain as Bayonetta or even other FighterZ characters like Pre patch 16 and GT Goku? I thought he was considered a very good, potentially top tier character, but not one that's centralizing the meta
FighterZ is a lot more balanced than SSB4, but you have to recognize the toolset they gave Gogeta already places him in the top tiers with Kid Buu and Z Broly. Gogeta has everything good. He has a lot of tools that every character only has one or two of. He has super-fast ki and regular hitboxes, a command grab, a DP, a counter DP, an overhead shmix, free ****ing dragon balls, he's the only character with a reverse airdash mixup, a Bardock B assist, a meter gain assist that adds a level, what else?

1619130905714.png

oh right his ****ing instant killing level 3

You can tell me all you want that he needs to charge it up, do you know how easy it is to get those 7 levels in one combo string? I can easily say a third of the character combinations in the game have assists that can let you do it in a single combo. Most can get you at least halfway there.
And they shot UI Goku, the previous character considered the best for his amazing toolset, in the kneecaps with Gogeta's addition, basically replacing him as the king of this game. He isn't as broken as Bayonetta compared to the rest of the roster, but if you're competitive, there's zero reason to not run him.

Last edited:

MMXZero

Smash Rookie

View attachment 312417

I don't think the final two characters will be revealed at E3. I expect Nintendo to hold at least one character for their usual September Direct before moving on to something else.

SKX31

Smash Master
Mii Mage is the obvious one. The spellcasters and staff users just don't look natural with the swordfighter motions.
Maybe a Mii Beast? Or maybe Mii Monster would fit better. Encompasses all the animal costumes; Acts like a wilder, heavy-hitting Mii Brawler with less defense.
After that... Yeah, the Berserker works too. A melee zoner for all the polearms.
I thought that Mii Swordfighter already was Mii Swordzoner with all the tornadoes, chakrams and reflector. :4pacman:

And that came after Smash 4's Patch 1.1.6, which was just Bayo nerfs.
And reminder, while Smash 4 was decently balanced all around, it consistently had a problem with characters that were meta-centralizing (:4diddy: , :4sheik: , :4cloud: , :4bayonetta: ) to a degree Ultimate has not seen yet. Not even :ultjoker: or other characters in their vein are as centralizing, which speaks to the lesson that Sakurai / Bamco learned.

Ah, I forgot about Cloud, though I don't think he was considered as cheap as Bayo.
Not as cheap no, but 4 Cloud shut down like half the cast (see below) and was banned in Doubles.

I think he was mostly problematic in doubles. After a balance patch, most people didn't mind him much outside of that context.
He was still considered 2nd in singles and S-tier, due to his sword swings being way bigger than in Ultimate - especially his aerials - his attacks being out longer and Limit being a permanent buff until used (as opposed to Ultimate, when Limit Break's active for 15 secs or until used).

N-Air is a great example of the nerfs he recieved in Ultimate:

7KfgCvmqLgiVJ0r6vI2O__dOigaHnHXZnniMLHEBx3Y.jpg

As to permanent Limit, well I'm gonna quote meleebrawler in the competitive thread:

Context, context. Smash 4 was a game that let you airdodge as much as you wanted (as long as it wasn't into the ground) making any kind of edgeguarding except 2-framing very difficult, and Cloud could be in a souped-up mobility state with practically no downsides forever except not being able to use specials if he wanted to keep it, which could have been annoying against zoners... if there were actually any good ones in that game.
Cloud remains a solid character in Ultimate since his sword swings are generally fast and have pretty long range - he can still rack up 40 %+ on an opening consistently. But Smash 4 Cloud was an entirely different beast, and only overshadowed by Bayo in terms of how dangerous he was.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom