• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
BotW2 needs to add a unique named Lynel chieftain or something. Then HE can be in Smash.

Alright then, let’s have Crash since we all know how much you love his games and consider them all-time greats.
I do think the Crash games suck, but he's still a better pick than Plant.

Last edited:

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
I see some people on Smash message boards talking about how they "had a dream that their most wanted got in". The only Smash related dream I've ever had was more like a nightmare... Let's just say that people weren't too happy about Androxus from Paladins "Punching into the fray!".

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I see some people on Smash message boards talking about how they "had a dream that their most wanted got in". The only Smash related dream I've ever had was more like a nightmare... Let's just say that people weren't too happy about Androxus from Paladins "Punching into the fray!".
Eh, could've been worse.

You could've dreamed about Baldi...

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
I just realized something. I could be mistaken here, but aren't Diablo and Dark Souls the only franchises unrepresented in Smash which have amiibo? I'm talking specifically about the Loot Goblin and Solaire Amiibos.

Both amiibos also released in 2018, roughly around the DLC selection timeframe.

I barely hear Diablo talked about for Smash, and it also got a special edition Switch bundle. I barely know anything about Diablo, but imagine if Al'Diabolos got in... What would the reaction be like?
I wasn't too on board with Diablo in Smash until I saw this video:

This whole idea of a Diablo character revolving around area control is genius. More people need to talk about this video, not nearly enough people do. I'd love to hear your guys' thoughts on this as well.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So there was finally new info about Tales of Arise. Too bad it's not on the Switch.

I could see the Tales character being FP11 if August/September is the release date since Symphonia and Vesperia's anniversary is in August and Arise is in September and the character can be used to promote the game. I mean Smash is one of the best advertising tools for Smash and Namco could easily capitalize on that for Smash, and Sakurai doesn't care about console wars.

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
This whole idea of a Diablo character revolving around area control is genius. More people need to talk about this video, not nearly enough people do.
Ooh I haven't seen it, but I love moveset concepts. I think Diablo content could definitely come to Smash. Maybe not a full character (though it's possible), but definitely something

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So there was finally new info about Tales of Arise. Too bad it's not on the Switch.

I could see the Tales character being FP11 if August/September is the release date since Symphonia and Vesperia's anniversary is in August and Arise is in September and the character can be used to promote the game. I mean Smash is one of the best advertising tools for Smash and Namco could easily capitalize on that for Smash, and Sakurai doesn't care about console wars.
The thing is, all the promotional characters in recent years (i.e. :ultgreninja: :ultcorrinf: :ultincineroar: :ultbylethf:) have been first-party and had around six months to a full year before they get added. The Arise duo look pretty cool, I'll admit, but I don't see Smash adding a promotional character that soon, especially when Nintendo's not pushing it.
Though, I think it's a smidgen more likely than most cases like this; As CapitaineCrash CapitaineCrash pointed out, COVID fricked up the schedules a lot and shoved everything back, so in a COVID-less world Arise would have more time to cement itself. Still, that doesn't change the fact that it's a third-party game with no confirmation of a Switch port at the moment, which doesn't really indicate good things when Nintendo's making the choices.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
The only Smash dream I remember having is one where they announced that Phoenix got in Smash, but the announcement was only on a projector they aimed at the side of a building, like that one Persona 5 Royal promotional campaign where they shined the logo on the side of a couple buildings.

A friend of mine has had much wilder Smash dreams, though, including one where they announced Deku and Patrick Star

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I wasn't too on board with Diablo in Smash until I saw this video:

This whole idea of a Diablo character revolving around area control is genius. More people need to talk about this video, not nearly enough people do. I'd love to hear your guys' thoughts on this as well.
I wonder: how in line is this with the things the player does in Diablo? Just wondering. But yeah, we don't have a character with "true" AoE yet, and I feel like Diablo, a MMO rep or a MOBA rep would be the best fits for that.

I do not like it that I'm already hearing "SUPER......SMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH BROTHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRS!" in that voice.
Instead of Baldi, it's Sakurai trying to punish you for being a bad boy/girl.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It's ok, I managed to dream up an OC called Saac Clarke who wasn't the Dead Space dude but Haohmaru with melanin. I also once dreamed that Terry would be in the second pass too, the only difference is that his entire moveset revolved around the weapon he had, which was this
550x492.jpg

I don't even know how I had that happen

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Why would they add Androxus when Maeve or Evie are the superior choices smh my head.

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
Why would they add Androxus when Maeve or Evie are the superior choices smh my head.
I actually thought that Paladins was pretty fun, I just dislike 90% of the character designs and jokes. Maeve is cool though

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Now just replace 'literally anything from Nintendo' with 'literally nothing from Nintendo'
Now just replace "literally nothing from Nintendo" with "literally nothing"
I know a certain tree that keeps yammering on about the Void, Nothingness and so on...

Exdeath from FFV confirmed baybee. Not the Final Fantasy bad guy I was expecting, but hey, I'll take it. :4pacman:

Ooh I haven't seen it, but I love moveset concepts. I think Diablo content could definitely come to Smash. Maybe not a full character (though it's possible), but definitely something
I definetely think it could, although Diablo's not going to be a frontrunner amongst A-B due to A-B having a lot of potential IPs. Still, to be honest, I do think it'd be the main bad guy himself, because the playable characters are by design split into different classes. And while the playable character is central to the story, it'd be really difficult to pick between the five at best.

I wonder: how in line is this with the things the player does in Diablo? Just wondering. But yeah, we don't have a character with "true" AoE yet, and I feel like Diablo, a MMO rep or a MOBA rep would be the best fits for that.
Have played some of 2 and 3 (beaten 3 but not 2, surprisingly enough), I can answer this.

The player can select between 5 different classes and stick with that character for a run (if a character is Hardcore, then the savefile will be deleted once the character dies). 2's classes are (checking for memory's sake):

• Amazon - archer / rogue hybrid with her skills focusing mostly on staying alive. Also can equip javelins and spears, although the bow has various status debuff upgrades to help her out and stay in the fight.
  • Barbarian - exactly what it says on the tin. Dual-wielding tank that can utilize war cries - whose effects can range from party buffs to debuffs to the enemies. Can frontline for quite a while thanks to those skills.
  • Sorceress - again, exactly what it says on the tin. Spell spammer that can teleport and rain down hails of ice, thunder and fire all over the place. While far from a tank a skilled Sorceress can clear up entire rooms without sweating.
  • Necromancer - Well, this is getting repetitive. Summons skeletons (incl. reviving slain enemies - this even includes Diablo himself!), golems and other mobs to wreak havoc across the rooms. Also has access to hexes, curses and obstacles to supplement his mob-spam.
  • Paladin - Sigh. This is also a WarCraft hero. I'm sensing a pattern. This guy is (ofcourse.bison) associated with the light, so he gets stuff like the usual healing spells, thunderbolts and auras that can help a party. The Paladin is also a competent solo fighter since he also gets a combat skill tree.

I mean...

He has been playable in a crossover before.
As a MOBA guy, I've always kinda been intrigued by HotS, but something about it felt off and I can't tell why. Which is a shame, because there were some ideas that could be developed further into unique stuff.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
As a MOBA guy, I've always kinda been intrigued by HotS, but something about it felt off and I can't tell why. Which is a shame, because there were some ideas that could be developed further into unique stuff.
Funny, HOTS Is the only MOBA I could get into.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Funny, HOTS Is the only MOBA I could get into.
I couldn't get into it. I did somewhat enjoy the gameplay, but I was not invested in the characters. I think that's my main issue with MOBA games is that I'm not interested or invested in the characters. I might give the genre another chance if a series I like gets a MOBA, like the Fate series, or if a MOBA with a style I like comes out.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I couldn't get into it. I did somewhat enjoy the gameplay, but I was not invested in the characters. I think that's my main issue with MOBA games is that I'm not interested or invested in the characters. I might give the genre another chance if a series I like gets a MOBA, like the Fate series, or if a MOBA with a style I like comes out.
That's the reason I love HOTS I really like characters from Blizzard games. That's also why Pokemon Unite has piqued my interest. I can't get into league because of the playerbase and it seems like Riot is trying to hard to have likeable characters. and I haven't given dota 2 a fair shake but from what little I've played It seems like it doesn't have enough personality and it's visually busy.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Ohhhh, I would have loved to see that! I wonder how it was done?
In my opinion, the DQ Slime is probably the standard video game mook that has the most potential for a good Smash moveset out of any in video game history. There's just so many different kinds of Slimes but they all have that gooey charm to them that I'd say I'd be hyped for their inclusion as a fighter.

Honestly I kinda hope we get another Piranha Plant style inclusion in SSB6 because that was such a fun idea lol

EDIT: Took a bit to find this but here's two tweets from the creator of Brawl in the Family, that old popular Smash webcomic, that show off a good Slime moveset possibility.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Would Slime be more akin to Piranha Plant or would Slime be more akin to Pikachu?

Slime was one of if not the only non-Poke "generic enemy" that had some popularity prior to Piranha Plant. At least, the only one that immediately comes to mind. No other mooks really have any popularity, even with PP getting included. It wouldn't be a very wtf, deliberately surprise choice - I mean Slime is the mascot of DQ, and Pikachu is the mascot of Pokemon.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Would Slime be more akin to Piranha Plant or would Slime be more akin to Pikachu?

Slime was one of if not the only non-Poke "generic enemy" that had some popularity prior to Piranha Plant. At least, the only one that immediately comes to mind. No other mooks really have any popularity, even with PP getting included. It wouldn't be a very wtf, deliberately surprise choice - I mean Slime is the mascot of DQ, and Pikachu is the mascot of Pokemon.
Definitely more akin to Pikachu, since much like how Pikachu got it's own games, Slime also got it's own games as well, with three games where it's the main character.

SKX31

Smash Master
Honestly, that's fair. Many of Dota's characters were originally WarCraft III's just in Dota or with its own spells (Dota's Lich is a good example since he originally shared three of the same spells as with his WC3 counterpart, just with a different Ultimate that didn't revolve around building damage) before they became original when Valve took over. LoL's characters are usually original or descended from a Dota forum, and in HotS case, yea it's Blizzard All-Stars.

From that angle... the reception might've been like Plant in the West? A significant number of Western Smash fans wouldn't expect it, although it might get a more Pikachu-esque reception in Japan.

Gameplay wise, I'm taking the wildest of guesses here:

Kinda thinking an ecletic mix of :ultkirby: , :ultinkling: (especially the dash) and :ultgnw: . Where the Slime would have the general body shape of Kirby and Jigglypuff, it might have a lot of disjoints like Game and Watch and rely some on any spells it has to control space kinda like Inkling's weaponry controls space. Super lightweight and probably susceptible to being juggled, but would likely be able to pancake a lot too like Pikachu and Kirby.

(Also, damnit, I missed the last time we ranked DLC it seems? Damnit, I'd be all over that especially given the recent characters, although I should admit that some of my opinions are colored by my experiences as a Cloud main. I've played so much Cloud I've started to kinda act like him. :roll: )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom