• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I barely hear Diablo talked about for Smash, and it also got a special edition Switch bundle. I barely know anything about Diablo, but imagine if Al'Diablo got in... What would the reaction be like?
I mean, it would be pretty unexpected and Diablo 1 and 2 were big hits, so I wouldn't be surprised if some people were genuinely excited.

But you just know that besides the expectations for Crash Bandicoot, Blizzard and Nintendo will get a lot of flack because it's Blizzard, especially after Jeff Kaplan, the last major pre-Activision Blizzard employee, left recently.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I mean, it would be pretty unexpected and Diablo 1 and 2 were big hits, so I wouldn't be surprised if some people were genuinely excited.

But you just know that besides the expectations for Crash Bandicoot, Blizzard and Nintendo will get a lot of flack because it's Blizzard, especially after Jeff Kaplan, the last major pre-Activision Blizzard employee, left recently.
Is this the part where I make a joke about how Blizzard is 95% Activision at this point, ergo Diablo is technically an Activision?

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I guess I'll spoiler mark this just in case but whenever I see an Undertale fighter suggested for SSBU I always think how are they gonna handle the Chara/Frisk situation? Like would the fighter's name on the character selection screen be Chara or Frisk? I feel like Frisk makes more sense cuz I feel like they're more of the protagonist, but also you kinda don't even play as Frisk and aaaaa it's confusing and would be a spoiler either way. They of course could name the fighter Child or Fallen Child but that also sounds kinda off in its own way...
I was all for Frisk but I’m starting to think that Papyrus could end up being the main choice for an Undertale character. He’s really popular amongst the fanbase & I think he might be Toby Fox’s favorite character too. He & his theme are used a lot in marketing. He’d also have a more clear cut moveset than Frisk.

I think it's an important part of the equation. There is highly important region that Chief doesn't greatly appeal to, which is typically pretty crucial for Smash inclusions, especially for third-parties. I think he'd be able to overcome it thanks to his overwhelming prominence elsewhere. But that's no guarantee.

The parallel to the electoral college goes as far as wanting to appeal to as many regions as possible... and that's where it ends. Unlike that electoral system, there are only two real districts in play here - Japan and not Japan (with not Japan probably just being NA and Europe, given they are the biggest markets) - and Nintendo tries to make choices which appeal to both. If you don't appeal to one, there aren't forty-nine others. You don't get to gerrymander because there's only two real regions with clearly defined, unchanging boundaries.

If the US only had two states, you can bet the majority of the candidates would be chosen on their basis of appealing to both. That's why the majority of presidents are, by American political standards, moderates; either center-right or center-left.

So you don't want to alienate one of your key demographics unless the alternative demographic under focus is so large it will compensate for shying away from the other. And there are only a limited number of characters I believe Nintendo will see as those who can achieve that and are worthwhile additions. I think Hero was one. I think Chief would be another, but I'm just speculating here.
I’d throw Lara Croft into that group alongside Chief & Hero. She’s insanely recognizable in the West. I’m not sure what other characters could fit in this group though. Maaaaybe Scorpion for the west & Arle/Reimu for Japan; but those three aren’t on the same scale as Hero, Chief & Lara IMO.

Speaking of characters/series not in the game yet, I would add Resident Evil, Tekken (last I checked, it actually surpassed SF) and Monster Hunter as the last remaining "global" japanese picks.

That isn't to say only big series are picked - quite the opposite really, seeing as they were all Spirited/Mii'd - but it kinda shows that people have a tendency to take "niche" as an insult when it isn't.

Even adding the characters we both mentioned - some of which aren't eve playable, that would be around little more than 10% of Smash's cast. Sure, being recognized by a wider audience is a boon, but we do have to remember there's arguably far more niche picks in Smash than mainstream ones.

...Basically, no singular factor should be the end-all, is what I'm saying.
I think that’s accurate sales wise, but SF is actually in the top 10 highest grossing game series ever. That’s due to the series’s popularity height being in the arcades, it’s incredibly impressive that it made that much through quarters.

Last edited:

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
They were, and they're on the Switch I believe. Some friends of mine would be pretty excited, so by extension I would be too. The devil himself in Smash would probably be the most shocking reveal yet, honestly

Ivander

Smash Legend
Is this the part where I make a joke about how Blizzard is 95% Activision at this point, ergo Diablo is technically an Activision?
I mean, at this point, whatever floats your boat. Don't exactly have any positivity left for them. Do I hope Overwatch 2 manages to go on the path of a good future? Yes, but considering the scum in charge of Activision, don't really have a lot of hope left.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
In b4 the final fighter is a BotW character to promote BotW 2.
Never really understood this perspective, since the most significant characters in BOTW are still... Link, Zelda, and now (presumably) Ganondorf.

We could get a Champion I guess, but none of them really stand out as particularly more notable or popular than one another so it's a bit difficult to gauge. And then if there was a new character in BOTW2 who would stand as the most obvious choice, it feels a little bit late to be introduced to such a character if they were intended to be in Smash. But I just always hear people say "BOTW character" and never elaborate on that.

The one I've heard most often is "BOTW Zelda" which uh... I really don't think they would do that, or at least I would hope not.

Last edited:

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
Now that I think about it, even amiibo that came out before ultimate's release have gotten content. The Shovel Knight amiibo came out in early 2016, and it got base game spirits. The other Shovel Knight amiibo (Spectre Knight, Plague Knight, and King Knight) also have spirits, I believe. The Qbby and Chibi-Robo amiibo also got the same treatment.

Monster Hunter, which has amiibo, got content in the base game as well, and then spirits were added even later.

I could be wrong, but judging by how close the Solaire and Loot Goblin amiibos released to Smash Ultimate (especially considering the closeness of Bamco and Nintendo for Solaire), it seems like it would've been easy to just put PNGs in the base game. What do you think?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Tales of Arise is looking good.

Would people get mad if we get Alphen or Shionne over Lloyd/Yuri?
More than anything I'd be questioning what led up to it. All the characters chosen in advance - Which a ToA character would have to be - Have been both A: First-party, and B: Had about half a year minimum between their game of origin and their DLC pack. Even if Bamco's working on SSBU, it'd still be a first.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Huh, neither NoA nor NoJ tweeted so far today, and NoE only retweeted the Great Ace Attorney announcement...

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Tales of Arise is looking good.

Would people get mad if we get Alphen or Shionne over Lloyd/Yuri?
I'm still new to Tales so I don't really have too much of a preference on who gets in (I'd probably lean more towards Yuri right now since Vesperia is my introduction to the series. That, and he's cool as ****), but Alphen and Shionne's designs are great and Arise looks really interesting, so I wouldn't mind seeing them.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Never really understood this perspective, since the most significant characters in BOTW are still... Link, Zelda, and now (presumably) Ganondorf.

We could get a Champion I guess, but none of them really stand out as particularly more notable or popular than one another so it's a bit difficult to gauge. And then if there was a new character in BOTW2 who would stand as the most obvious choice, it feels a little bit late to be introduced to such a character if they were intended to be in Smash. But I just always hear people say "BOTW character" and never elaborate on that.

The one I've heard most often is "BOTW Zelda" which uh... I really don't think they would do that, or at least I would hope not.
A very maniacal part of my personality currently wants to see a completely new BOTW2 character be added, since, like, it’d be fun to see everyone react to such a new character, and also, if we want to see some new faces in speculation, what’s newer than a character revealed in their own Smash reveal?

Just imagine, it’s Nintendo‘s E3 stream, the BOTW2 trailer starts, the new character appears, and... sike, it’s their Smash trailer! And the actual BOTW2 trailer comes immediately after that trailer ends of course.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
I don't think we are getting a Zelda character for this pass, but if we do (or somehow end up with a bonus fighter), I'd like an enemy like Piranha Plant.
And my choice would be the Lynel.
Eh, I'd prefer something funnier, like a Goomba, as the next generic mook to enter the roster.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
A very maniacal part of my personality currently wants to see a completely new BOTW2 character be added, since, like, it’d be fun to see everyone react to such a new character, and also, if we want to see some new faces in speculation, what’s newer than a character revealed in their own Smash reveal?
It would be something to say the least - I can't say I would take that sort of thing very well though. I try to be open minded but one of my general rules of thumb is that I feel a character should really get in only once enough people have been able to get to know them. I think Smash ought to be a blend of characters both highly iconic and criminally overlooked, but I kinda draw the line when it's about a character who nobody even knows what to think about yet.

Especially from a series like Zelda, where there are so many characters who people genuinely love and have wanted in Smash for upwards of a decade now (ie Skull Kid and Midna) ... only to get shut down by a brand new supporting character who literally nobody knows yet from a game that isn't even out yet. Really the only situation where I'd defend a wholly new character introduced through Smash would be a dedicated "Smash OC", and even then I don't think DLC is the place for that and I'd rather see it as like, a customizable character a la Ace from Street Fighter EX.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
More than anything I'd be questioning what led up to it. All the characters chosen in advance - Which a ToA character would have to be - Have been both A: First-party, and B: Had about half a year minimum between their game of origin and their DLC pack. Even if Bamco's working on SSBU, it'd still be a first.
To be fair the game was originally planned to release in 2020 before getting pushed to 2021. Also from what I found online, the game development has started in 2018 (a bit before Tales of Vesperia definitie edition released), so assuming the fighters where chosen in 2019 for a 2020-2021 release date, it's possible that the development was far enough to give Sakurai some concept art and demo, and since the game was supposed to released in 2020 it would have been perfect for a 2021 challenger pack.

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
Do people think Nintendos delayed tweet about the Great Ace Attorney has to do with smash or something

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
They always reveal their directs at 9 AM EST. We won't get a direct reveal today.
Didn’t they announce an animal crossing direct once at 5PM EST?

also, a Mini can be uploaded out of the blue at any time (seems to prefer mornings though)

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I feel like where we are now, until E3 Happens all presentations or Directs will be highly specific, We already had an indie world and pretty much the only things I can think of that can happen between now and June 12th would be things like Partner Directs, A Hardware Direct, Zelda Direct, Pokemon Presents etc.

(Assuming we have any at all that is.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom