• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Tournament for characters with bombs.
The thumbnails they create for these tournaments are always so sick and I am so glad we have them. I really wonder who does them. Sakurai said he writes all the reveal trailers, which is pretty dope, so I wonder if he also sketches these thumbnails out.

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
The thumbnails they create for these tournaments are always so sick and I am so glad we have them. I really wonder who does them. Sakurai said he writes all the reveal trailers, which is pretty dope, so I wonder if he also sketches these thumbnails out.
I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if he doodles an initial draft for the designer's reference. Wouldn't be the case in other game dev, but this is Sakurai we're talking about.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

We'll get em next time, buddy.

My post was meant as a joke making the cast of the kongs in line with SF characters. Not really meant to be taken seriously. Didn’t mean to say that Chun-li wasn’t important or anything. Obviously she is as she’s in the most crossovers aside from Ryu. I just thought the whole comparison to the DK Crew was rather comical is all.
Gotcha

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160

We'll get em next time, buddy.
In positive news, I actually think the Deluxe Miis we got this go around (Sans, Cuphead, Vault Boy, and Bomberman) are all priority picks for the next Smash.

osby

Smash Obsessed
In positive news, I actually think the Deluxe Miis we got this go around (Sans, Cuphead, Vault Boy, and Bomberman) are all priority picks for the next Smash.
I can see Bomberman and maybe Sans/Cuphead but all of them? I doubt it.

Sometimes a Mii costume is just a Mii costume. Geno's costume having its own splash screen in Smash 4 didn't make him a lock for Ultimate, after all.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Well well well, an Indie Direct is a nice surprise to wake up to! I doubt we'll get a full Nintendo Direct later on - outside of the next Smash character and a new trailer for New Snap, I can't really think of much else that could go into one. At least, not when I also factor in that E3 is exactly two months away. Like yeah, they could show us our first big BotW2 trailer, but why not save that for E3 at this point? I also don't see why they wouldn't sit on the reveal for the next character till E3, too. Sakurai has made it sound like Nintendo has had Smash stuff ready to go in the past, but waited a while to release it for whatever reason. So, I'd honestly be surprised to get anything between now and E3.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think that's a bit rash. The next game probably isn't even a glint in Sakurai's eye yet, they aren't being selected with that foresight. So eventually when it happens, it's not like that specific category will be elevated to preferential status.

Not the least of which is that one of them is now owned by someone else. And Cuphead and Sans are indie characters in (currently) small series, there's a lot that can or can't happen between now and then. It's unwise to make such specific conclusions about something so far away.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
While I'm glad you're optimistic on their chances, I think it's way too early to say who the frontrunners for the next Smash are. We could be waiting 5 years before we see the next Smash. That's a lot of time for stuff to change, and for new games to come out.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
While I'm glad you're optimistic on their chances, I think it's way too early to say who the frontrunners for the next Smash are. We could be waiting 5 years before we see the next Smash. That's a lot of time for stuff to change, and for new games to come out.
In 5 years, I'll be 31. 🧓
Will you guys still love an old fogie? 👉👈

7NATOR

Smash Master
Some would say that Bomb Tournament deconfirms Crash Bandicoot as the next Fighter (CP10) since he might likely use TNT Crates as a move

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

It is I, Takumaru in the POTD tonight!
YEAHHHHHHH LET'S ****ING GOOOOOOOO

Can anyone translate the tweet? I've gotta see what he has to say

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
A character is less likely to be added to Smash if it brings fewer new things.
Pyra and Mythra technically didn't bring anything new since the concept of a 2-in-1 character existed in Melee and Brawl on top of Pokemon Trainer being in the base roster. Their "new thing" comes from their stage's head and neck moving, so new mechanics don't necessarily have to be into the character's moveset.

...unless you think the reason they were added is Foresight, but even that can be summed up as "Witch Time, but it's a dodge instead of a counter".

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Bottom text

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
The only thing Takamaru can do that Hayabusa can't is turn invisible.
Even though
  1. Takamaru is a samurai first and foremost, and Hayabusa is a ninja
  2. Ninja Gaiden was a Castlevania-esque platformer in its NES heyday, while Mysterious Murasame Castle is a Zelda-esque top-down adventure game, both of which are completely different games?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
One series that I think could be a lot of fun that I’ve never seen discussed for Smash is Darksiders. From what I’ve played, the games play a lot like Zelda and have really cool character design. I think characters like War, Death, and the other protagonists would be awesome in Smash. Darksiders is pretty niche so it makes sense that it isn’t really talked about but it has been on Nintendo consoles before.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I think that's a bit rash. The next game probably isn't even a glint in Sakurai's eye yet, they aren't being selected with that foresight. So eventually when it happens, it's not like that specific category will be elevated to preferential status.

Not the least of which is that one of them is now owned by someone else. And Cuphead and Sans are indie characters in (currently) small series, there's a lot that can or can't happen between now and then. It's unwise to make such specific conclusions about something so far away.
I see your point, but for Cuphead I don't think this series is going to die or be forgotten. There's the dlc coming eventually, the tv series coming on Netflix, and yesterday they announced a museum exhibit. Cuphead also has a lot of official merch such as T-shirt, mug, poster etc. Cuphead is insanely huge for indie game standard. The game Cuphead has sold 6 million copies alone (to put it in perspective, Shantae whole franchise has sold 3 millions games). I don't think Cuphead will suddenly disappear.

Now, does that make it a lock for the next game? Definitely not. But I do think that indie games will be something that they might be interested to give a chance in the next game and Cuphead could be a possibility. That being said, Cuphead will always have a problem and it will be his animation styles. The Smash team always want to present the characters the most accurately possible, and Cuphead is mostly known for his unique animation style. I doubt that the animation team could copy it because it use hand drawn animation and I'm not sure if it can be done easily by the Smash team.

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
2021 has a lot of anniversaries, doesn't it?
A lot of new series/spin offs spawned in 2001 so there are a bunch of 20 year anniversaries.
Pikmin
Devil May Cry
Ace Attorney
Halo
Jak and Daxter
Animal Crossing
Mega Man Battle Network
Etc.

Last edited:

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
A lot of new series/spin offs spawned in 2001 so there is a bunch of 20 year anniversaries.
Pikmin
Devil May Cry
Ace Attorney
Halo
Jak and Daxter
Animal Crossing
Mega Man Battle Network
Etc.
They don't officially celebrate it at all, but it's also Dark Souls' 10th anniversary

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I know people have been refuting this, and I do think it's a bit premature to say they're outright priority picks, but I do think that Bomberman and Sans have very good shots of getting into Smash at some point in the eventual future.

Bomberman feels like a matter of time, as long as Konami stays on board and Smash continues down the path of implementing third parties. If we have to scale back on third parties at some point then it all gets pretty shaky on who ends up being a priority in general, although I think Bomberman is a character whose history justifies him either way.

I'm going to defend the claim that Sans is already a viable choice for the future also. I think Undertale being an indie game clouds some people's perspective of how massive the game has become - it's one of the only western indie titles to achieve an equal outpour of love from both the west and Japan (even scoring a special concert for its 5th anniversary in Japan), the soundtrack continues to hit unreal numbers of viewership (a reupload of Megalovania from about two years ago has already hit 60M, I swear there was one that was nearing 200M that isn't around anymore)... and I mean, the reaction to the Sans costume speaks for itself, which contested that of full characters and eclipses every other costume by a mile. Say what you will about whether or not that excitement was genuine or driven by the memes, but no doubt Sans and Undertale are still insanely popular (as stated by Sakurai himself, Sans was supposedly a pretty popular request).

And Deltarune is coming within the next few years, and is pretty much a guaranteed success from such a dedicated audience, so Undertale does have a fairly definitive future. Even if we weren't assuming that Undertale has already cemented a huge legacy for itself among some of the most impactful games of the last decade, and Sans establishing himself as a legitimate gaming icon. Sure, Undertale doesn't have a lot of games, but I wouldn't call it small by any stretch of the imagination. It's scale comes in other forms and it's been pretty monumental.

Cuphead and Vault Boy... well, Cuphead is arguably a bit smaller than Undertale, so I feel like it's an uphill climb trying to beat out Sans (or Shovel Knight for that matter). We'll have to see what the future holds for Cuphead, I'd personally like to see him make it someday. And then Vault Boy doesn't really strike me as someone who ought to be playable in the first place. He makes a great mascot Mii Costume, but nobody is begging for him to get promoted.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom