• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Kid Icarus was successful and a masterpiece and the only reason a sequel hasn’t been made is because Sakurai has been busy though that’s not much of a reason.
Also, Sakurai is reportedly not fond of making too many sequels, so it's unlikely he'll go back to it after all is said and done, which means that a different team would have to pick it up.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Star Fox has a lot of potential within its characters and world and it's shocking that a company as creative as Nintendo hasn't managed to do anything other than tell the same story with the same general gameplay for the last nearly thirty years.

Star Fox seems like a series that needs to be outsourced to reach its potential, like Metroid and DK. Assault and Command were hardly perfect, but they built a base of evolution that each could've been refined, but weren't. Instead we got the original Star Fox retold two more times.

And what a waste to get Platinum on board for a Star Fox and have it be Star Fox Zero. Give them another crack, I mean they were only the support team there.

But I do think Star Fox will be back. Because it's been grandfathered in as a core Nintendo series even if one well past its glory days. But EPD still cares about it, like they do Pikmin. But dear god does that series need new blood handling it. There are so many routes you could take a series about a team of mercenary pilots flying across a sci-fi galaxy and we just keep getting rail-shooters.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The lack of any attempts at Star Fox media even beyond video games might be an even bigger indictment of the franchise's mishandling. Maybe Nintendo considers an animated series too big a risk, but are you telling me a Star Fox comic/graphic novel couldn't find an audience? That there's no market opportunity for a whole series of online shorts to see the response?

There's no reason SF couldn't have achieved at least a tenth of what the Sonic series has.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Isnt the main reason why KI doesnt have another game is because Sakurai dosent wanna do one?
I mean, the main reason KI doesn't have another game is because Nintendo ostensibly hasn't made it a priority. Even if Sakurai didn't want to do another, if Nintendo did, someone would get it done. Kirby didn't stop when Sakurai left and Smash won't either when he eventually inevitably parts ways with the series.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Oh hey, Touhou 15.5 is up for preorder on the Switch now. Nice.
Touhou Hyouibana ~ Antinomy of Common Flowers. for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Game Details
Word of advice, though; While it's translated, the official translation is rather sub-par compared to the fan translation. If you care about the story, I'd recommend either sticking to the Steam port and fan translations or just watching a Let's Play, like this one (Which also has funny commentary the game itself doesn't come with, which is a plus for viewing purposes).

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Star Fox is a series that definitely need some new ideas. I don't think the games being rail shooters is a problem for that, because you can still explore new ideas inside the shoot em up concept. Maybe it's a genre that doesn't have as much to explore as others, but the thing with Star Fox is that the series has been practically retelling the same thing since it's existence, so it's not like the franchise has explored everything the genre has to offer IMO.

I definitely think the series will come back because you can see that Nintendo cares about it, even if it's not that much. But if it just comes back because "guys we need our periodically dose of Star Fox 64, let's hire [random studio] and we will gave him low resources and limited freedom" then that wouldn't be a good idea. The series needs to build a bigger identity than that, move on from the past which won't disappear and put young creatives in the key positions if necessary.

I don't know, I haven't played Starlink but I usually read nice things about it and the Star Fox collaboration the game had. So maybe Nintendo should just let Ubisoft to make a new Star Fox game.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'd like to see the characters more fully realized in a hypothetical new Star Fox game. Like, most of the dialogue is focused on the mission, but the same is true of Kid Icarus, and the banter between the heroes and villains alike is the about most entertaining dialogue you can find in a video game. Meanwhile, the most interesting line from a Star Fox character is stuff like "thanks for the friendly fire Fox!" as far as I've seen. I know it's a bit difficult when characters have to have lines that can go off at any time so the player knows what's going on mechanically but when not in fire fights where you have to protect everyone/can shoot them all, they should have some fun banter.

I mean, we've got vanilla space cadet, extremely cocky but skilled pilot, a more bumbling mechanic, the parent of the group, and potentially more. It would be a crime not to use that group dynamic.

SKX31

Smash Master
As long as the stage isn't green or has hills I don't really care.

Mania has a lot of bangers like Hard-Boiled Heavies, Eggman's Boss Theme, Mirage Saloon, etc that have yet to be added yet. Also how in the world do we not have Terminal Velocity Act 1 in the game yet??
As long as the stage isn't green or has hills I don't really care.
So in other words, get ready for:

:4pacman:

He was at 49% there. Probably could've survived had he not fully charged.
Lets run some calcs:

Steve's D-Smash does 14 % uncharged. That's not including the 1v1 multiplier, which is a 1.2X one. In 1v1s it does ca. 17-18 % including looping hit (which is 0.6 normally, ca. 0,7 in 1v1s)

Hero's Bounce is a 1.5 multiplier.

Steve's D-Smash would do ca. 26-27 % when Bounced, which is still really dangerous for the Steve no matter what since we're talking a Bounced Smash attack. Maybe he survives, but that's going to be DI-dependent. Town and City's Blast zone is also a little close, which makes it more difficult to survive that. The fact that the Steve held the charge suggests he realized he was screwed anyway.

That clip is just...how? Why is lava a projectile and how the heck did Hero know it was one?
My best explanation is that Steve dunks the lava down. I mean, why else would it be such a huge hitbox? :p

Clip's source is here. While I tested the interaction in Training Mode I noticed that Hero blocked the lava with the shield - as he and Link would any other projectile. That has to be how he knew.

I mean, the main reason KI doesn't have another game is because Nintendo ostensibly hasn't made it a priority. Even if Sakurai didn't want to do another, if Nintendo did, someone would get it done. Kirby didn't stop when Sakurai left and Smash won't either when he eventually inevitably parts ways with the series.
Which is a bit of a shame when one could certainly argue that Nintendo could hypotheoretically get away with a sequel such as that, F-Zero, hell I'd even argue Golden Sun as a smaller priced game. Sure, the lack of those titles suggest that Nintendo don't believe it's economically worth it... but one could certainly argue that Nintendo could take such risks. Will all of them pay off? No, but considering that Nintendo's release schedules sometimes dries up to the point it can be summarized by a " ¯\(ツ)/¯ " for months at a time it could serve Nintendo well to change course a bit.

(Of course, I'm saying this, but what are the chances of them actually doing that...? Urgh, it's such a missed opportunity...)

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Also, Sakurai is reportedly not fond of making too many sequels, so it's unlikely he'll go back to it after all is said and done, which means that a different team would have to pick it up.
Also Sakurai: makes a new Smash Bros game for every single console generation for the last 20 years, becoming one of Nintendo's most evergreen series alongside Mario Kart.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don't know, I haven't played Starlink but I usually read nice things about it and the Star Fox collaboration the game had. So maybe Nintendo should just let Ubisoft to make a new Star Fox game.
I don't think that's a good idea. From what I've seen Starlink just fits Star Fox well, and it's hard to mess up Fox and Falco. Wolf on the other hand, was turned into a Saturday morning cartoon villain who wants to take over the world or something, which makes no sense to me based on what I know of him.

Also Sakurai: makes a new Smash Bros game for every single console generation for the last 20 years.
Based on some of the things they've said about how Super Smash Bros. Brawl came to be directed by him, I think he views the series as something special and wants to make sure that it's done justice. He could just as easily have let the Super Smash Bros. Melee port happen instead.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Saw some Chrono Trigger talk and let me just say, I would totally buy a ssbu season 3 dlc dedicated entirely to the game's main cast. Give me all of them!
Sorry, but you don't get none! We are getting a Season 3, but we're getting Battletoads content instead! :troll:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Okay, so here's a game for you. Kind of inspired by that "villain roster" discussion the other day.

You can make a Fighter's Pass 3, with six whole characters in it - but it has to have some kind of theme. What theme do you pick, and what six characters?
I'll be generic and say "content not already in the game". Basically, it's all new stuff, like with FP1.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Okay, so here's a game for you. Kind of inspired by that "villain roster" discussion the other day.

You can make a Fighter's Pass 3, with six whole characters in it - but it has to have some kind of theme. What theme do you pick, and what six characters?
Joke character pass:

1) Slippy Toad
2) Tingle
3) Dan Hibiki
4) Glass Joe
5) Bubsy
6) Lester the Unlikely

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Well, here's a few I guess:

Big Baddies:
  1. Dr. Wiley
  2. Dr. Eggman
  3. Ghirahim
  4. Sigma
  5. D. J. Octavio
  6. M. Bison
Indie Panic:
  1. Shantae
  2. Shovel Knight
  3. Fillia
  4. Gunvolt
  5. Freddy
  6. Frisk
Round 3...Fight!:
  1. Chun-Li
  2. Fillia
  3. Kyo
  4. Morrigan
  5. Heihachi
  6. Sol
Random characters I made movesets for:
  1. Freddy
  2. Rex & Pyra/Mythra
  3. Amaterasu
  4. Chell
  5. Bandana Waddle Dee
  6. Toon
The last one is...certainly an assortment of characters.

SKX31

Smash Master

The Combo Pass:

1. Dante
2. 2B
3. Invoker (Dota 2)
4. Yuri Lowell
5. Ghirahim
6. Reimu

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace

Theme: Underdogs. Basically, tertiary Nintendo (or 3rd party) characters that are often overlooked but important to their series.

1. Skull Kid
2. Professor E. Gadd
3. Poochy
4. Dixie Kong
5. Louie
6. Tails

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Far-Reaching Fighters. Basically, it's a bunch of series new to Smash with a lot of games to unpack. The minimum requirements are the first installments releasing in the 90's at the earliest (Though the character themselves are allowed to debut on any date), and having at least seven mainline titles to their name. This would consist of:
  1. Adol Christin - Ys started in 1987, and has 10-13 installments, depending on if you count the remakes
  2. Reimu Hakurei - Touhou's first game was made in 1995, went public in 1996, and the eighteenth game is coming out next month
  3. Lloyd Irving - Tales started with Tales of Phantasia in 1995, and the seventeenth "Mothership" (mainline) game is in the works
  4. Reisalin "Ryza" Stout - While Ryza's a recent character, Atelier started up in 1997, and Gust has been churning out games almost every year since then for a total of 22(!) releases, excluding the spinoffs and remakes
  5. Bill Rizer and Lance Bean - Contra debuted in 1987 on arcades and launching ten mainline games (Nine if we ignore the existence of Rogue Corps, which we're apparently supposed to do)
  6. Sol Badguy - Guilty Gear just makes the cut; It began in 1998, a year before the cutoff date. ArcSys officially counts the RTS/hack-and-slash Guilty Gear 2: Overture as a mainline title, and the two variants of Xrd, -SIGN- and -REVELATOR-, are counted separately as well, adding up to a total of seven mainline titles.
Interestingly, all the fighters debuted either in 1987, or between 1995 and 1998. If we sort them by characters, Lloyd and Ryza help diversify the eras; Two '80s characters, two '90s, one 2000s, and a 2010's fighter. Overall, I think this is a pretty solid and diverse lineup, even if only one or two series are really well-known.

Y'know, this was actually a little challenging to put together, what with the limits I was applying to myself. The game limit ruled out Dante (Five games, six if we're counting the reboot), Sakura (six games), and Doomguy (Also six games), and the date ruled out Kiryu (Debuted in 2005), Ezio (AC started in 2007), Sora (2002), and Dante and Sakura again. Though, looking back I suppose I could've added the Prince from Prince of Persia as well; It started in 1989 and has about 8-9 mainline titles to it's name.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
The lack of any attempts at Star Fox media even beyond video games might be an even bigger indictment of the franchise's mishandling. Maybe Nintendo considers an animated series too big a risk, but are you telling me a Star Fox comic/graphic novel couldn't find an audience? That there's no market opportunity for a whole series of online shorts to see the response?

There's no reason SF couldn't have achieved at least a tenth of what the Sonic series has.
That's really just because stuff like the DiC cartoons and of course the Super Mario Bros. movie were disasters that basically made Nintendo swore off ancillery media for their IPs for years, baring the ocassional Kirby, Pokemon or even strangely enough F-Zero.

Honestly I imagine seeing what happened with the Sonic Archie comics and Ken Penders may of made them leary of this type of thing, too. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if the Mario IP team was put together as a response to that.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Yes it does.
I'm aware Exor is an exception.
Besides, the sound effect of a successful Geno Whirl would be a great sound effect to hear defeating Galeem or Dharkon.
Exor is the literal exception to the rule. Other than him, it doesn't work on bosses. Thus it wouldn't work on Google Chrome or Red Lobster.

Also, it would be, but it could just as easily be used on one of the soulless clones and I'm frankly of the opinion that hearing the charging sound followed by the satisfying ching of Geno Beam as it essentially Kamehameha's Galeem/Dharkon right out of the game's code would be much more pleasing to see. It's much more dramatic of a technique and it's more iconic than Geno Whirl since Geno joins your party with Geno Beam and it's one of the first things that got fans to think he was the bees knees.

Lyncario

Smash Ace

The theme: Disgutingly overpowered. All the characters have something that makes them very op in canon in some form, may it be gameplay or lore.

The pass:
1-Reimu Hakurei (Touhou) Her power allows her to float beyond reality and to be untouchable by anyone and anything, not even Yukari, who is a powerfull reality warper
2-Demi-Fiend (SMT) His ultimate magatama lets him nullify anything that's not allmighty. Also he's the most powerfull super boss in jrpg historyy thanks to his aparition in DDS, which is pretty big. And also he's an SMT character, who are quite broken compared to most other series.
3-Sora (Kingdom Hearts) In KH3, he masters the power of waking, which lets him overwrite reality in the dlc. That's right, Sora gets free reality overwrite. And also, he is often said to be the super boss of KH3 due to how strong he is in gameplay in that game. And also reflect.
4-Dante (Devil May Cry) SWORDTRICKSWORDTRICKSWORDTRICKSWORDTRICKSWORDTRICK-ROYAL GUARD! Also Sin Devil Trigger. And his apearance in SMT. And many other things.
5-Sol Badguy (Guilty Gear) He's a bit complicated to explain because of Guilty Gear being a complicated series, but basicaly, he could destroy the universe by simply continuing existing or something like that, if I got it correctly.
6-Amaterasu (Okami) She makes a galaxy spin on her tail.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Oh, Nairo is streaming.

Glad to see the lad is making his steps at a return.

In other news, let me see if I can finish my catch-up post on all the topics I've missed that I have an interest in.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Oh, Nairo is streaming.

Glad to see the lad is making his steps at a return.
It took almost a year but it seems the waves of the allegations, true and false alike, are finally settling down. Most of them, anyway. I have a few bones to pick at a few people still, though, as they were virtually untouched and that ruffled my jimmies.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Saw some Chrono Trigger talk and let me just say, I would totally buy a ssbu season 3 dlc dedicated entirely to the game's main cast. Give me all of them!
I would think that was seriously overdoing it...but would still buy it.

NES RETRO PASS!!!!
  1. Ryu Hayabusa [Ninja Gaiden]
  2. Bill Rizer/Lance Bean [Contra]
  3. Arthur [Ghosts ‘n Goblins]
  4. Kunio/Riki [River City] (with Billy Lee/Jimmy Lee Mii Brawlers)
  5. Bub/Bob [Bubble Bobble]
  6. Rash/Zitz [Battletoads]

1617924034824.png

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
It took almost a year but it seems the waves of the allegations, true and false alike, are finally settling down. Most of them, anyway.
I feel like, as long as things stay well and strong, this could be a new starting point for the community after the label of 'Smash Players Are All Pedos' was slapped on us. It was kind of a social nightmare.

At the same time though, I heard a rumor that since Sony bought Evo, Smash won't be there anymore. Can anyone provide evidence one way or the other? That would be kinda bad if that did happen, but it would be perfect for Nintendo to just go Smash Balls-deep into making their own Esports events.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I heard a rumor that since Sony bought Evo, Smash won't be there anymore.
I thought they clarified that they weren't doing that immediately after being acquired.

but it would be perfect for Nintendo to just go Smash Balls-deep into making their own Esports events.
Nintendo? Investing time and money in the Smash FGC?

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
I feel like, as long as things stay well and strong, this could be a new starting point for the community after the label of 'Smash Players Are All Pedos' was slapped on us. It was kind of a social nightmare.

At the same time though, I heard a rumor that since Sony bought Evo, Smash won't be there anymore. Can anyone provide evidence one way or the other? That would be kinda bad if that did happen, but it would be perfect for Nintendo to just go Smash Balls-deep into making their own Esports events.
There's not really evidence of anything. I doubt Sony will be too hands on with handling EVO, and I believe the organizational staff is more or less the same as always. The concern for Smash, as always, is that Nintendo will be the ones ****ing it up and requires Sony to pay them them a fee or something to host a Nintendo game at EVO, or just not allow Smash at EVO period.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I thought they clarified that they weren't doing that immediately after being acquired.

Nintendo? Investing time and money in the Smash FGC?

Don't get me wrong, I get the humor, but it DOES seem as if Nintendo has potential interest FGC...but doing it THEIR way and not supporting what has already been built by fans.

I see this as a really poor move by Nintendo, but considering what was happening not all that long ago, not sure I can blame them for wanting to distance themselves from the current FGC.

It's all just really unfortunate is what it is, but through it all Sakurai and his team continue to deliver us quality content.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Here's a controversial theme: 4th party pass.

Fighter 1: Spider-Man (Marvel series)
Fighter 2: Goku (Dragon Ball series)
Fighter 3: Geralt (Witcher series)
Fighter 4: Spongebob (Spongebob series)
Fighter 5: Godzilla (Kaiju series)
Fighter 6: Luke Skywalker (Star Wars series)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Don't get me wrong, I get the humor, but it DOES seem as if Nintendo has potential interest FGC...but doing it THEIR way and not supporting what has already been built by fans.
From what I understand, they flirt with casual stuff, but have 0 interest in Super Smash Bros. as a super competitive game. They are marketing it as solely a party game for funsies after all.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord

"Am I Glad He's Frozen in There and We're Out Here"
Cirno
Mei
Sub-Zero
Ice Man
(Mega Man)
Regice
Mr. Frosty
(Kirby)

Pillow

Smash Lord

I'll go with a pass of characters that break the golden rule.

1. Sora
2. Hatsune Miku
3. Agumon
4. Geralt of Rivia
5. Gundam
6. Lu Bu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom