• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
Don't get me wrong, I get the humor, but it DOES seem as if Nintendo has potential interest FGC...but doing it THEIR way and not supporting what has already been built by fans.

I see this as a really poor move by Nintendo, but considering what was happening not all that long ago, not sure I can blame them for wanting to distance themselves from the current FGC.

It's all just really unfortunate is what it is, but through it all Sakurai and his team continue to deliver us quality content.
Does the community really 'want' Nintendo to get super deep into the whole FGC scene?

Because I know for a fact that knowing them, one of the first things they'd do is try to kill of the Melee part of it, much like it's heavily rumored that they did to the Project M scene.

As much as I'd like Smash to be on the same stage as its FGC peers, trusting Nintendo in that way makes me raise an eyebrow to the point that my forehead starts hurting.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
How about a Pokémon pass?
  1. Team Rocket
  2. Toxtricity
  3. Grovile
  4. Heracross
  5. Deoxys
  6. Cynthia & Garchomp
It's got variety with a villain group, a punk rocker Electric/Poison type that ooses with style, middles it out with a spin-off character, throws in a semi-grappler type character, a fighter that can change its attributes so suit its needs, and a highly popular character and Pokémon to end things off.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Okay, so here's a game for you. Kind of inspired by that "villain roster" discussion the other day.

You can make a Fighter's Pass 3, with six whole characters in it - but it has to have some kind of theme. What theme do you pick, and what six characters?
Side characters:

-Bandana Dee
-Toad
-Impa
-Ashley
-Cranky Kong
-Mr. Resseti

SKX31

Smash Master
That's really just because stuff like the DiC cartoons and of course the Super Mario Bros. movie were disasters that basically made Nintendo swore off ancillery media for their IPs for years, baring the ocassional Kirby, Pokemon or even strangely enough F-Zero.

Honestly I imagine seeing what happened with the Sonic Archie comics and Ken Penders may of made them leary of this type of thing, too. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if the Mario IP team was put together as a response to that.
DiC cartoons
disasters
Pick one. Because in my heart, they were never disasters when they provided so much meme material and helped create YouTube's answer to dadaism - the Youtube Poop . :4pacman:

Nah but seriously, the Super Mario cartoons did survive 3 incarnations - sure, it wasn't much good (such as Magikoopa being called "Wiesenheimer" for no reason in one episode, even if I personally love the name because it's so dumb), but the average cartoon quality was not the best at the time and evidently it did its job. The standard TMNT '87 episode back then was not exactly amazing to name an example, but TMNT '87 was also everywhere at the time. Likewise, the Wizard movie is far from a good one... but it did help sell SMB 3 and the Power Glove.

I'd pin that more on the Zelda / Captain N cartoons not being especially successful and arguably worse. The Super Mario movie is fair though, that's a major reason Nintendo largely stopped until the animes.

SEGA did reboot the comics no questions asked and continued on as usual with IDW. And considering characters created in the rebooted IDW comics like Tangle the Lemur and Whisper the Wolf were well-recieved they're in a good place.

It took almost a year but it seems the waves of the allegations, true and false alike, are finally settling down. Most of them, anyway. I have a few bones to pick at a few people still, though, as they were virtually untouched and that ruffled my jimmies.
It's easier to say with hindsight, but the very vague ("X said, Y said" nature of it all made things extremely difficult to call. Yes, some were untouched while others were persecuted too harshly, but there were also quite a few that were rightly kicked out.

Still though, I'm not going to sugarcoat things, it was really bad. Especially when the Code of Conduct panel was overwhelmed and disbanded. Silver lining is that there's a real drive to try and ensure it doesn't happen at least as often.

From what I understand, they flirt with casual stuff, but have 0 interest in Super Smash Bros. as a super competitive game. They are marketing it as solely a party game for funsies after all.
Does the community really 'want' Nintendo to get super deep into the whole FGC scene?

Because I know for a fact that knowing them, one of the first things they'd do is try to kill of the Melee part of it, much like it's heavily rumored that they did to the Project M scene.

As much as I'd like Smash to be on the same stage as its FGC peers, trusting Nintendo in that way makes me raise an eyebrow to the point that my forehead starts hurting.
That's something I've also noticed with Nintendo's official tournaments - sure they've run tournaments that are aligned more with competitive rulesets (at least in Japan), but it's always been on their terms and pretty inconsistent. NoE did have a European Circuit, so they're more permissive as well... although that was stopped dead by the pandemic. The big showy stuff have also been inconsistently held, which is something to note in this context (like one Squad Strike 4-team tournament in June 2019 that hasn't been repeated. Probably because of the pandemic, but still.).

Honestly, Nintendo's actions did land them in a very awkward spot where it looked like they wanted to hardcore discourage super competitive sides of their games... but didn't entirely stop it because they want the free marketing. Thing is, I'm not sure what Nintendo's endgame is here. It hasn't stopped the Golden State Warriors from getting involved (via Golden Guardians, their e-sports team):

I should note that GSW are both A) Incredibly rich, so Nintendo might think twice before trying to discourage and B) Hardcore committing to Smash, giving $50K to grassroots Melee orgs.

Considering a lot of Smashers stream and things like the Smash World Tour are getting more resources... I'm increasingly of the belief that Nintendo will have to (begrudgingly) accept that. Sure, most casuals won't care - but most LoL players are casuals that don't care about e-sports, yet it's the title most associated with it for a reason.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Okay, so here's a game for you. Kind of inspired by that "villain roster" discussion the other day.

You can make a Fighter's Pass 3, with six whole characters in it - but it has to have some kind of theme. What theme do you pick, and what six characters?
Franchises With Connections To Non Gaming Universes/Mythologies:
1. Alucard (Castlevania, Christianity)
2. Zagreus (Hades, Greek)
3. Kratos (God Of War, Greek and Norse)
4. Nyarlathotep (Shin Megami Tensei, Lovecraft)
5. Ameratsu (Okami, Japanese)
6. Doomguy (Doom, Christianity again)

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
I know you posted the image, but imagine if we got Michelangelo the artist.

4th party and a real person. That's two rules down, baybee! :roll:

Not to mention, Vince from Alpharad's CPUCS would have a brand new rival!
Michelangelo: Strikes a thinking pose.

Everyone else: Takes Damage.

Truely the Galaxy Brain character Smash needs. :4pacman:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Here's a controversial theme: 4th party pass.

Fighter 1: Spider-Man (Marvel series)
Fighter 2: Goku (Dragon Ball series)
Fighter 3: Geralt (Witcher series)
Fighter 4: Spongebob (Spongebob series)
Fighter 5: Godzilla (Kaiju series)
Fighter 6: Luke Skywalker (Star Wars series)
Impressive how you were able to avoid anything from Steven Universe with this. No, seriously.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Pretty easy actually - NEW GENRES. Each character represents and pays homage to a brand new genre that has not been properly introduced on the roster. Conveniently it gives me the opportunity to touch upon a good chunk of my MWs too.

1. Jill Valentine (Resident Evil) - HORROR
Moveset revolves around resource management, ex: handgun bullets can kill very early but are precise and in limited supply per stock, etc. Other attacks revolve around brandishing with a short-range knife. Encourages patient on-edge gameplay.

2. Chorus Kids (Rhythm Heaven) - RHYTHM
Many of their strong attacks work in threes, such as their minigame-inspired smashes and specials, and you'll need to press the button in a corresponding rhythm to fulfill the full attacks. There's a metronome that cues you in, but also a visual indicator of when to press.

3. Arle (Puyo Puyo)- PUZZLE
Emphasis on stage control and trapping opponents under your Puyo drops. Chain together combos (or just hit your opponents a bunch with Puyo) to be rewarded with heavy-hitting nuisance Puyo to finish them off. Carbuncle comes in to help with some attacks too. :)

4. Master Chief (Halo) - FPS
Honestly pretty straightforward, maybe we can work some sort of weapon swap in and definitely some sort of cool headshot mechanic like we speculated a few weeks ago. Might share some mechanics with Jill but plays completely different overall as more of a "heavy gunman".

5. Kunio (Kunio-Kun / River City) - BEAT 'EM UP
Pretty standard arcade brawler sort of kit, I just think Kunio is neat. He could be styled like his chibi-look as well for maximum throwback, and ideally play as if he came right out of those games. Kinda surprising we don't have a beat 'em up character all things considered.

6. Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney) - VISUAL NOVEL
To be honest with you I'm kinda stumped on how I'd personally do Phoenix, I guess MVC3 is a good reference point but I'm sure someone else has come up with something a lot cooler. He's just a general crowdpleaser and would probably have a fun wacky moveset.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

I am just going to assume that my gut guess of Crash Rean Decidueye is right for FP2 for this, and as a result they won't be here.

Lloyd Irving
Neku
Eggman
Chun Li
Officer Howard
Ring Fit Trainee
choosing Mikey instead of best turtle Leonardo? Herasy.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Bit late to conversation, but it's Star Fox talk. I can't just not contribute.

Star Fox has a lot of potential within its characters and world and it's shocking that a company as creative as Nintendo hasn't managed to do anything other than tell the same story with the same general gameplay for the last nearly thirty years.

Star Fox seems like a series that needs to be outsourced to reach its potential, like Metroid and DK. Assault and Command were hardly perfect, but they built a base of evolution that each could've been refined, but weren't. Instead we got the original Star Fox retold two more times.

And what a waste to get Platinum on board for a Star Fox and have it be Star Fox Zero. Give them another crack, I mean they were only the support team there.

But I do think Star Fox will be back. Because it's been grandfathered in as a core Nintendo series even if one well past its glory days. But EPD still cares about it, like they do Pikmin. But dear god does that series need new blood handling it. There are so many routes you could take a series about a team of mercenary pilots flying across a sci-fi galaxy and we just keep getting rail-shooters.
Bless you, N3ON.

Star Fox has the perks and qualities to make something truly special out of. Problem is, Nintendo just doesn't know what to do with it. I agree whole-heartedly that Nintendo needs to hand the reigns to another developer to not just make a new game, but make Star Fox theirs. Just look at Retro Studios with Metroid Prime and Donkey Kong. Find a studio that wants to make Star Fox, knows how to make it, and give them the funds to fully realize it. My personal pick is Next Level Games, who did a phenomenal job with Luigi's Mansion 3. Now that they're officially under Nintendo's wing, I feel giving them the series and the funds to make it great isn't too farfetched. Retro Studios, Koei Tecmo, and Namco Bandai could all make something truly great, too. There's just so much potential.

The lack of any attempts at Star Fox media even beyond video games might be an even bigger indictment of the franchise's mishandling. Maybe Nintendo considers an animated series too big a risk, but are you telling me a Star Fox comic/graphic novel couldn't find an audience? That there's no market opportunity for a whole series of online shorts to see the response?

There's no reason SF couldn't have achieved at least a tenth of what the Sonic series has.
Just look at how well received the Battle Begins short was. Or how popular the first fan-made "A Fox In Space" episode was. There's certainly a fan base and market for that sort of thing with Star Fox.

Star Fox is a series that definitely need some new ideas. I don't think the games being rail shooters is a problem for that, because you can still explore new ideas inside the shoot em up concept. Maybe it's a genre that doesn't have as much to explore as others, but the thing with Star Fox is that the series has been practically retelling the same thing since it's existence, so it's not like the franchise has explored everything the genre has to offer IMO.

I definitely think the series will come back because you can see that Nintendo cares about it, even if it's not that much. But if it just comes back because "guys we need our periodically dose of Star Fox 64, let's hire [random studio] and we will gave him low resources and limited freedom" then that wouldn't be a good idea. The series needs to build a bigger identity than that, move on from the past which won't disappear and put young creatives in the key positions if necessary.

I don't know, I haven't played Starlink but I usually read nice things about it and the Star Fox collaboration the game had. So maybe Nintendo should just let Ubisoft to make a new Star Fox game.
I do think Star Fox needs to expand past 64's formula. I don't think it really fits today's market. Fortunately, there's a lot of room to expand Star Fox without abandoning what it is at its core. Keep mission structure and branching paths, but allow side missions, upgrades, and multiple characters like in Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity. Or look at the Star Fox Grand Prix concept, where it plays like Star Fox, but with a competitive element.

No matter what the main game is though, multiplayer is an absolute must. Co-op and versus mode, both online and offline.

I'd like to see the characters more fully realized in a hypothetical new Star Fox game. Like, most of the dialogue is focused on the mission, but the same is true of Kid Icarus, and the banter between the heroes and villains alike is the about most entertaining dialogue you can find in a video game. Meanwhile, the most interesting line from a Star Fox character is stuff like "thanks for the friendly fire Fox!" as far as I've seen. I know it's a bit difficult when characters have to have lines that can go off at any time so the player knows what's going on mechanically but when not in fire fights where you have to protect everyone/can shoot them all, they should have some fun banter.

I mean, we've got vanilla space cadet, extremely cocky but skilled pilot, a more bumbling mechanic, the parent of the group, and potentially more. It would be a crime not to use that group dynamic.
Agreed. You can still flesh out the characters while still having them use their catchy one-liners. I'd argue part of SF64's charm is that it's one of the most quote-able games in existence.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'm really starting to like the Deoxys idea:
  • Normal Form: Best neutral, with good combos.
    • Better for fighting swordfighters, and for keeping up with brawlers.
  • Attack Form: Not as good with combos, but does more damage off of stray hits.
    • Better for fighting slippery opponents since it doesn't need to combo them.
  • Defense Form: Does crap for damage, but has a high weight, and has some super armour attacks that act as reversals.
    • Mostly for staying alive, but it also deals with pressure rushdown characters quite well.
  • Speed Form: High speed, but not as good of a damage output.
    • Better for dealing with "distance demons" and projectile spammers.
EDIT: It could probably be the most nuanced of the swapping characters (though it is technically a different thing since it's more of a stance switch character).

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I'm really starting to like the Deoxys idea:
  • Normal Form: Best neutral, with good combos.
    • Better for fighting swordfighters, and for keeping up with brawlers.
  • Attack Form: Not as good with combos, but does more damage off of stray hits.
    • Better for fighting slippery opponents since it doesn't need to combo them.
  • Defense Form: Does crap for damage, but has a high weight, and has some super armour attacks that act as reversals.
    • Mostly for staying alive, but it also deals with pressure rushdown characters quite well.
  • Speed Form: High speed, but not as good of a damage output.
    • Better for dealing with "distance demons" and projectile spammers.
EDIT: It could probably be the most nuanced of the swapping characters (though it is technically a different thing since it's more of a stance switch character).
Deoxys is awesome and a great choice for a Pokémon rep. It is my second favorite psychic type after Orbeetle and it’s transformation gimmick would be really cool in Smash. I imagine the forms to be kind of similar to Shulk’s monado arts but visually represented as transformations rather than glowing body parts.

Last edited:

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
On the Star Fox topic, anyone else want them to return to the Command formula? The story might've been all over the place, but I really liked the gameplay. The timed mission structure with all the free-roaming levels made it so replayable, it's crazy. One of the only games I ever played through more than once as a kid. Plus I feel like that kind of formula would work a lot in the modern day on Switch. As long as it had some refinement like maybe a little more customization in the Arwings and a little tighter controls to make it seem more like a real dogfight. And better dialogue

Paraster

Smash Lord

Indie characters.
  1. Quote (Cave Story)
    • (With Curly as an alternate model)
  2. The Knight (Hollow Knight)
  3. Reimu (Touhou)
  4. Frisk or Papyrus (Undertale)
  5. Cadence (Crypt of the NecroDancer)
  6. Shovel Knight
On the Star Fox topic, anyone else want them to return to the Command formula? The story might've been all over the place, but I really liked the gameplay. The timed mission structure with all the free-roaming levels made it so replayable, it's crazy. One of the only games I ever played through more than once as a kid. Plus I feel like that kind of formula would work a lot in the modern day on Switch. As long as it had some refinement like maybe a little more customization in the Arwings and a little tighter controls to make it seem more like a real dogfight. And better dialogue
Oh, YEAH. I played Command as a kid and went back to it a year or two ago. Still extremely fun. I literally came up with a concept for an original game largely inspired by it.
Even the story I thought was more so-bad-it's-good than anything else.

SWSU

Smash Apprentice

Cartoon Animal Pass
1. Miles "Tails" Prower
2. Crash Bandicoot
3. Spyro the Dragon
4. Ratchet & Clank
5. Sly Cooper
6. Cinderace

SirCamp

Smash Ace

I would make my theme missing classic Nintendo characters. Or like rounding out the rep for the series we have already. Mostly because I want more first party and that seems like the easiest way to do that. Also these are a lot of character that I think have decent to even good support, but due to being potentially tertiary characters or just because they are first party, they don't get AS much support as most characters here and it sort of feels like they missed their chance this time around. So sort of a 2nd chances pass.

So:
1. Dixie Kong
2. Impa
3. Bandana Dee
4. Captain Syrup
5. Ashley
6. Tom Nook

Could replace one of them for like Captain Toad, Waluigi, or Pauline for a Mario rep as well but that feels less necessary to me.

Other thought would be for a new universe first party rep pass:

1. Isaac (Golden Sun)
2. Karate Joe (Rhythm Heaven)
3. Andy or Sami (Advance Wars)
4. Mallo (Pushmo)
5. Chibi-Robo (Chibi-Robo)
6. Takamaru (Mysterious Murasame Castle)

And those are just my picks. Plenty of other choices like Ayumi Tachibana with the remakes of Famicom Detective Club coming out. Mach Rider, Excite Biker, and Lip are popular picks. And I've seen people talking about Style Savvy Stylist here even lol so you never know. And of course Astral Chain is always an option.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Impressive how you were able to avoid anything from Steven Universe with this. No, seriously.
The ironic thing is that, despite my username and gifs and dumb rosters, Steven Universe isn't even my favorite western cartoon. I'd prefer Avatar any day of the week, and Gravity Falls at least five out of seven.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
I have a (100% unrealistic of course) theory that next CP will be Scorpion from Mortal Kombat (with his stage, music and spirit board) and you can purchase individually Sub-Zero if you previous paid for FP2. If not, you can choose if buy CP10 with either Scorpion or Sub-Zero (the rest of the content is the same) and the one who do not buy will be available to be purchased individually.

Both Sub-Zero and Scorpion are based on their original MK designs, and they are similar to Pyra/Mythra: normal and smash attacks are mostly the same but specials are different. In addition they have difference in their stats.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

My first idea is: first party game with no playable representation yet
-Chorus kids (Rhythm heaven)
-Isaac (Golden sun)
-Andy (Advance wars)
-Ayumi (Famicom detective club)
-Savvy stylist (Style savvy)
-Ring fit adventurer (ring fit)

My second idea would be a Sega fighter pass:
-Kazuma Kiryu (Yakuza)
-Arle (puyo puyo)
-Axel Stone (Streets of rage)
-Ulala (Space channel 5)
-Opa-opa (fantasy zone)
-Dr. Eggman (Sonic)

Third idea is more niche but this is specifically for me: a Rhythm game fighter pass:
-Chorus kids (Rhythm heaven)
-Ulala (Space channel 5)
-Cadence (Crypt of the necrodancer)
-Donchan (Taiko no tatsujin)
-Parappa the rapper
-Haruka Amami (Idolmaster)

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

"Part of a complete breakfast" fighter pass.

1. Crash Bandicoot
2. Spyro the Dragon
3. Conker the Squirrel
4. Chunky/Lanky/Cranky/Dixie Kong
5. Rayman
6. Gex or Croc

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I’ll try a couple themed passes, seems fun enough.

Capcom Pass
  • Dante
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Chun Li
  • Jill Valentine
  • Monster Hunter
  • Zero
I really wanted to put Amaterasu on here but I couldn’t fit her in.

Oops! All Swordies Pass
  • Yuri Lowell
  • Adol Christin
  • Lyn
  • Sora
  • Elma
  • 2B
Something like this would be hilariously salt inducing.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
memes de magneton en engles es el ano pasado. memes de magneton en espanol es tendencia genial!

:082:

(sorry to anyone who actually speaks spanish for the absolute bastardization of their language, I have a year and a half of high school and google translate to go off of)

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Themed Fighters Pass: GotY Edition

Gex
Knack
Vince Young
Mario Bros. 2 Mario
Bubsy

And finally,

Geno
:4pacman:

Last edited:

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai POTD.

Speaking of POTDs, does anyone think Sakurai really hints at future stuff with them? I mean the one-winged chrom one was pretty obvious... But beyond that, I have my doubts. I seem to remember him stating that they weren't hints, but since they were originally sent to the dev team, maybe...? I think probably not

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Speaking of POTDs, does anyone think Sakurai really hints at future stuff with them? I mean the one-winged chrom one was pretty obvious... But beyond that, I have my doubts. I seem to remember him stating that they weren't hints, but since they were originally sent to the dev team, maybe...? I think probably not
Nah. We thought a pair of chairs were a hint. We're not exactly the best judges for this type of thing.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Nah. We thought a pair of chairs were a hint. We're not exactly the best judges for this type of thing.
Speak for yourself, I've been fairly on point and never fell for much of the trash theories y'all be droppin out here.

The only fails I really have were not realizing that Sakurai and Co could pick more than one Dragon Quest Hero and thinking Box Theory held no weight. Other than that I've been clean as a whistle and calling out what happens before other people can pull their head outta the swamp.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Speak for yourself, I've been fairly on point and never fell for much of the trash theories y'all be droppin out here.

The only fails I really have were not realizing that Sakurai and Co could pick more than one Dragon Quest Hero and thinking Box Theory held no weight. Other than that I've been clean as a whistle and calling out what happens before other people can pull their head outta the swamp.
True, but you're also the one who insisted Mii Costumes didn't deconfirm after Geno's came back, so your record isn't COMPLETELY spotless.

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman

Have any character predictions lol

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Salty haters going "nobody plays Minecraft for Steve" is so funny to me because it implies people play video games only for their protagonist. And by this logic, Metroid Prime Pinball should be considered as equally good as the Prime trilogy.
But..nobody DOES play Minecraft for Steve..they play for the building and exploring aspects of the game and using use other skins..a stage and Mii costume would have been pretty adequate for the series.
Your comparison is disingenuous..especially considering we're talking about a game series that most people got into because they like the characters that are in the game(s)..not to mention that in most games you play or interact with the characters in the game, most people in Minecraft don't play as nor interact with Steve, typically using skins of characters from games where they actually have an attachment to the characters there-in..like I play as Rosalina when I play Minecraft.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom