• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Just asking, does 2B and A2 have similarities to one another that you decided A2 to be that of a costume, does she like fight with the same weapon or something?
2B and A2 share the same weapons and fighting styles as one another, along with the same running, jumping, etc animations, which makes sense from a lore standpoint as all Type B models were based on Type A models.
They only have a few differences, such as their personalities and idle animations, and Prototypes like A2 featured a 'Berserk Mode' where she becomes more powerful before overheating, while Current YoRHa models feature a Self-Destruct mode where they blow themselves up. They both end up with only a single HP after doing so. I don't think either mode would be included for a moveset due to the detrimental after effects, however.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
A smidge off-topic, but posting anyway; if they ever add Master Chief (and/or, if MS is feeling generous, the Arbiter), I hope they incorporate the Reach assassinations into his moveset. They’re brutal, yeah, but they’d probably be among the flashiest attacks in Smash Bros. history. Just look for yourself. Maybe they could make pretty good throws?

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
A smidge off-topic, but posting anyway; if they ever add Master Chief (and/or, if MS is feeling generous, the Arbiter), I hope they incorporate the Reach assassinations into his moveset. They’re brutal, yeah, but they’d probably be among the flashiest attacks in Smash Bros. history. Just look for yourself. Maybe they could make pretty good throws?
I always thought the assassinations from Halo Reach, 4 and 5 could make for good throws for Master Chief, atleast the less violent/stabby ones. In that video, the one shown at 1:20 could make a for a perfect down throw.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Well, on a slightly unrelated note...

PicsArt_04-03-03.02.50.png
PicsArt_04-03-03.03.10.png

No idea if these are real or not, but they've been floating around. Detective Pikachu did well, so I'd sorta like this to succeed too. Might encourage Nintendo to delve into other franchises like Zelda or Metroid for feature films.

Well, here's something to spark a new topic:

So apparently, PushDustin was in a video with PapaGenos, and he mentioned that he thinks that Fighter 11 will be a brand new first party character so that the game "doesn't feel dated". However, as shown here, he doesn't consider Byleth, Min Min, or Pyra to fill that role. Thoughts on that?
While I agree that a more recent character is likely, Pokemon and BotW2 are the only games I can see as of now getting a character. I feel like those are the only two recent games that would offer a character with a realistic chance. There could be more depending on what other releases come put in the immediate future, but those two games are what I'd put my money on.

Last edited:

DynoStretch

Smash Cadet
Tbh who really would be a new 1st party character
Taking into account that Nintendo are the ones picking the roster...

I could see one of them being a Pokemon. There's three new games coming out this year (Snap, D/P remakes and Legends Arceus) so I could easily see Nintendo wanting another Pokemon to promote them.

Not sure which Pokemon though. If Nintendo is picking the mon itself they'd probably pick something safe like an eighth gen starter like Cinderace or the DLC mon Urshifu, neither of which I would be very excited about. A lot of people want to see a grass starter like Decidueye or Rillaboom but I think people just say that to complete the fire/water/grass starter trio, which to me always felt redundant since we have PT with Charizard, Squirtle and Ivysaur. I can't see it being another Trainer as that too would take away from PT's uniqueness. Best case scenario they'd let Sakurai pick the mon himself.

As for which one I'd want to see? As far as a 8th Gen rep goes Dracovish would be neat. It's pretty popular among the fans due to how broken Fishous Rend is, and it would be pretty unique in battle style since it has to relay on biting and kicking moves. Ash even caught one in the anime, so it has that going for it as well.

As for other potential first parties, there's Ayumi Tachibana from Famicom Detective Club. I've been told that at one point Sakurai wanted to add Ayumi to Melee but wasn't able to do to the lack of relevancy in America. Now with full blown remakes of two games she appeared in, coming to the states no less, it feels like this might finally be her time to shine.

Aside from that, I can't really think of any other franchise Nintendo would push at this point other then maybe Legend of Zelda... Mipha, Urbosa and Sidon are the most popular of the BOTW/AoC cast that isn't already an event spirit, but I think I'm just reaching there.

tldr; a new Pokemon and Ayumi.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
See, this is why I can't see a Zelda character happening this pass:

They made this the bonus for getting FP2. I just feel like if a new Zelda character was happening this pass, they would of saved this outfit for it. It'd be kinda like if Ninjara was made as the bonus outfit for FP2 even though Min Min's also on the pass. Or hell, remember how Xenoblade didn't get a character on the first pass after Rex git MiiToo'd?

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
The fighter's pass is primarily designed to incentives new players to consider purchasing Super Smash Bros Ultimate so I really can't see the remaining two fighters being first party.

Byleth and Pyra/Mythra were chosen by Nintendo to bolster the sales of their latest entries of Fire Emblem and Xenoblade Chronicles respectively whilst an ARMS representative was a means to get more people into ARMS.

Of course, I could be proven wrong but it's evident that the third-party characters is where the profitability lies with Smash Bros Fighter's Pass.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

They made this the bonus for getting FP2. I just feel like if a new Zelda character was happening this pass, they would of saved this outfit for it. It'd be kinda like if Ninjara was made as the bonus outfit for FP2 even though Min Min's also on the pass. Or hell, remember how Xenoblade didn't get a character on the first pass after Rex git MiiToo'd?
This isn't a character tho.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The fighter's pass is primarily designed to incentives new players to consider purchasing Super Smash Bros Ultimate so I really can't see the remaining two fighters being first party.

Byleth and Pyra/Mythra were chosen by Nintendo to bolster the sales of their latest entries of Fire Emblem and Xenoblade Chronicles respectively whilst an ARMS representative was a means to get more people into ARMS.

Of course, I could be proven wrong but it's evident that the third-party characters is where the profitability lies with Smash Bros Fighter's Pass.
Didn't you say you at least expected Porky? How the hell can you agree with this and believe the possibility of Porky at the same time?

Last edited:

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
Didn't you say you at least expected Porky? How the hell can you agree with this and believe the possibility of Porky at the same time?
Yeah, I still support Porky. But just because I support a character doesn't mean that I'm confident of their chances making it in the fighter's pass. I also want Medusa from Kid Icarus in Smash but there's not really a business incentive from Nintendo to add her.

DynoStretch

Smash Cadet

It also works the other way around, Smash Bros is a great way of giving games attention that they otherwise wouldn't have gotten. I'm almost certain Fire Emblem got more well known in the west due to Marth and Roy being in Melee for instance. That's why I could imagine Nintendo would want to include Ayumi to push Famicom Detective Club coming out soon.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
ARMS came with Mii Costumes from Splatoon, Byleth came with costumes from Ubisoft and Aegis famously had no Xenoblade costumes along for the ride. The most amount of costumes a first party series came with is ARMS with its singular Ninjara costume. I don’t see the Ancient Armor set as a dagger in the back of Zelda.
I mean, I don't think Splatoon and Ubisoft characters are happening either for that reason lol

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

People were saying the same thing about a XC2 rep because of the Rex costume and look where it got us.

The Rex costume seemed to be just a base game costume that they set aside for DLC. This Zelda costume, on the other hand, is made for DLC, but it's literally the least compromising thing possible because it's not even based on a specific character, just an item from that game. Or, if you want to look at it the other way around, it's based on Link, a character we already have.

I don't think it means anything.

See, people love to say that, and yet each Volume arguably only gave us a single character that arguably really expanded the playerbase ( :ultjoker: and :ultsephiroth:).

The rest were either first parties (:ultbyleth::ultminmin:ultpyra:) or had a sizable enough presence or following in the Nintendo fanbase so that I'm willing to bet a good number of their fans already had bought Smash and the Passes (:ulthero::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry::ultsteve:).

Sure, I don't see both of the remaining fighters being from Nintendo either, but I think people are trying too hard to justify why third parties have been more numerous in DLC.

Since we're on the topic, as for what PushDustin said... that's literally impossible for us to gauge, because every 2021/2022 launch that's getting some push from Nintendo is from a series that already "exposed" its characters to us in some way.

The next big Pokémon game is set in a previous region, the Famicom Club games are remakes (and thus would likely result in Ayumi as a rep - a character we already know), and Splatoon still has Octolings as a "clearer" second rep.

So I find it kinda hard for us to get another Byleth - as in, a character that's specifically tied to a yet-unreleased title and nothing else. And if we do, we literally couldn't predict that because we haven't seen the character lol.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
People were saying the same thing about a XC2 rep because of the Rex costume and look where it got us.
Yeah, and we didn't get a XB2 character the first pass. We only got one (two) in the second pass that was, you know, wasn't planned or greenlit back in 2018 when the Rex outfit and FP1 were in development.

In that sense, the best chance for a Zelda newcomer would be for them to greenlit a third pass at the last minute, which probably isn't going to happen.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
With DLC and updates extending a game's relevancy, I think Byleth counts as a "promotional" character a la Greninja. They were even described as such by Sakurai, "Someone from a game people are playing at the time." I agree with Push regarding Min Min and Pyra, though. 2-3 years after release is probably not "brand new."
TBF, Nintendo probably wants people to continue playing ARMS - ARMS was pushed by them akin to how Splatoon initially was pushed (and the planned ARMS comic suggests an initial attempt to establish a multi-media franchise). While ARMS didn't do all that well once the initial post-release months had passed, it retained enough of a playerbase to the point talks amongst Nintendo's executives likely went down like this:

"Okay, this game sold well initially and has an active playerbase, but most people didn't play past the initial months and the comic's in limbo. How can we get people interested in ARMS again?"
"Smash Bros."

It's worth remembering that promotional content can be meant for games which are a couple years old or even older, due to how some promoted games (e.g. ARMS, Splatoon, a lot of live service games) are meant to be these long-lasting franchises that get updated for a longer time than single-player experiences usually get.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
TBF, Nintendo probably wants people to continue playing ARMS - ARMS was pushed by them akin to how Splatoon initially was pushed (and the planned ARMS comic suggests an initial attempt to establish a multi-media franchise). While ARMS didn't do all that well once the initial post-release months had passed, it retained enough of a playerbase to the point talks amongst Nintendo's executives likely went down like this:

"Okay, this game sold well initially and has an active playerbase, but most people didn't play past the initial months and the comic's in limbo. How can we get people interested in ARMS again?"
"Smash Bros."

It's worth remembering that promotional content can be meant for games which are a couple years old or even older, due to how some promoted games (e.g. ARMS, Splatoon, a lot of live service games) are meant to be these long-lasting franchises that get updated for a longer time than single-player experiences usually get.
I really hope ARMS gets the momentum they were planning. It was leaked that there's an ARMS movie in development, and it looks to be quite decent. The biggest obstacle to it's release is if the game continues to be relevant.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Yeah, and we didn't get a XB2 character the first pass. We only got one (two) in the second pass that was, you know, wasn't planned or greenlit back in 2018 when the Rex outfit and FP1 were in development.

In that sense, the best chance for a Zelda newcomer would be for them to greenlit a third pass at the last minute, which probably isn't going to happen.
...Even though ARMS and XC2 were already in the backburner, due to timing reasons? Steve as well, because of how long the negotiations took.

It's likely they already had that costume ready by the end of FP1, but chose to set it aside for FP2 because A: Zelda is a popular enough franchise for a bonus Mii to be incentive enough and B: having the Ancient Armor as a bonus is the least compromising thing they could possibly do when it comes to future characters.

Would a Volume 3 be their best shot? Yeah, I agree. But at this point I think people are just moving the goalposts. If this was about, say, the Heihachi or Geno Miis I think you'd be more on the money, because these were actually made and released during Volume 2.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
These are some rumoured games to be released between second half of 2021 and first quarter of 2022 (potential delays by covid are possible):

• Super Mario Party 2
  • Fire Emblem 4 Remake
  • Donkey Kong (new 2D? platafform, supposedly its being developed internally at Nintendo)
  • Metroid 2D (new game, developed by Mercury Stream)
  • Xenoblade 3
  • Mario Kart 9

In addition to Pokémon Gen 4 Remake, Pokémon Legends, Zelda BOTW2 and Splatoon 3 (though i think splatoon 3 will be released by spring 2022).

IDK, at first I would have thought of a Xeno 3 fighter but we got Pyra/Mythra.

There is the chance of getting Dixie Kong playable to promote next DK game but i think that rumored game will only have DK and Diddy Kong as playable characters.

We need to pay attention is they will do a Famicom Detective Club spirit event or not.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Not sure about a Zelda newcomer. I'd imagine if it was specifically to tie in with BOTW2, the game might not even be out by the time fighter 11 is ready to be released since I can't see fighter 11 wait any longer than Sept/Nov so if idk Wild Zelda got into Smash, she'd have to release like a week after the game comes out. I suppose they could release her earlier since she's an established character and whatnot but everything else that comes with her will be mostly known from marketing. I'm mixed but not entirely convinced she has no chance. Not sure about the costume at this point.

Pokemon I'm thinking is less likely but also some aspects of it are more likely?? I think that the spirit event being released in mid November when we knew pass 2 was coming doesn't inspire me much especially since pass 2 was probably planned all the way back during Hero so the selection process must have been nearing its end. However, there is another Pokemon game coming out soon (BDSP) and a Gen 4 Pokemon in Smash wouldn't even have to meet ends with the release of the game since they're already established characters. It seems like a big wave of Sinnoh love is coming our way and while remakes generally aren't promoted in Smash, idk I could see it.

Anyway this is how King Boo wins.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
People are prematurely ruling out some of our options at the first sign of a possible deconfirmation, and I think that's come back to haunt people with some of the characters in this pass.

I don't know if the Ancient Armor will be in BotW2. I don't know if Egg Guardian and Young Impa will be in BotW2. Do I think it really matters? No, not really, because at the time all of these things were added, they were promoting completely different games. Yes, they come from the same Zelda universe, but that's where the similarities end. Why on earth would they be adamant about saving the Ancient Armor for the BotW2 pack if they don't even know for sure if it'll be in the game? Same goes for the AoC Spirits.

As for SwSh, it had a Spirit Event. It's been almost a year and a half since that Spirit Event, so if they really wanted to commemorate/promote the launch, Spirits are a quick and easy solution. It wouldn't even be a waste of time considering how they've recycled Spirits on two occasions now.

Both Zelda and Pokémon could easily end up empty-handed after F11, but some people are way too quick to move these games from the "Possible" pile of candidates to "Not happening".

Technomage

Smash Champion
Okay, here's my villain roster:

Veterans:
Bowser
Bowser Jr. (with the Koopalings as alts)
Piranha Plant
King K. Rool
Ganondorf Dragmire
Ridley
Dark Samus
Meta Knight
King Dedede
Wolf O'Donnell
Mewtwo
Robin (possessed by Grima)
Dark Pit
Wario
Sephiroth

Newcomers:
Waluigi
Ganon (blue pig from NES/SNES games)
Rocket Grunt (akin to the Pokemon Trainer; I haven't decided its Pokemon yet, though)
Black Shadow
Porky Minch
Edelgard von Hresvelg
Rhea

Hades
Plasm Wraith
Mr. Sandman
Mumkhar
Gray Fox
Dr. Eggman
Shadow the Hedgehog (if he's an echo, then I'd want one of his Spin Dash specials replaced with something else, even if it's a gun attack from that infamous Shadow the Hedgehog game)
Zero (possessed by Maverick Virus)
Inky/Blinky/Pinky/Clyde (as alts of one fighter)
Akuma
M. Bison
Kefka Palazzo
Father Balder
Dr. Coyle
Dracula Vlad Tepes
Gruntilda Winkybunion
Geese Howard
Heihachi Mishima

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
[/QUOTE]
Well, out of the five Nintendo characters in my prediction list that could be one of the final two fighters for Fighter's Pass 2, I think Luke from Buddy Mission: BOND kinda fit the description of promoting a "not dated" game.

This game was released in January 2021, and may be in development alongside other Koei Tecmo project like Fire Emblem Three Houses DLC (2019) and Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity (2020) giving this character a slim chance of being the fighter. Also, with the news of Hayabusa not being the frontrunner due to the many interviews, I feels that Luke who is co-owned by Nintendo and Koei Tecmo has a much better shot than the other KT properties.

In addition, I like the idea of a Corrin situation where the game is released first in Japan and later for the rest of the world (if a localization for other languages is possible). In a funny twist, just like Byleth whose game have the involvement of KT, Luke would be another character with KT connection to overtake the KT fighter spot.

What else do I like about this character? Oh right, the art style is drawn by Yusuke Murata who was the artist for Eyeshield 21 and the redrawn version of One-Punch Man. So, get ready for a fantastic animated trailer, and maybe a drawing of Luke alongside the other Smash fighters done by Mr. Murata.

Here, is this game opening
i think ayumi tachibana is more likely since both of her games are releasing in the west in June or july right?

if fp11 comes out in october i can see stylist if her game comes out around october or november.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I just want the next fighter to get here already and I hope it's not another first party character. Their third party choices are hit and miss but their first party choices have been consistently bad in my opinion.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
It also works the other way around, Smash Bros is a great way of giving games attention that they otherwise wouldn't have gotten. I'm almost certain Fire Emblem got more well known in the west due to Marth and Roy being in Melee for instance. That's why I could imagine Nintendo would want to include Ayumi to push Famicom Detective Club coming out soon.
smash didn't save fire emblem from selling like crap for the next decade, it only got big around 2013, smash bros has very little affects on game sales, DQXIS didn't do spectacular in the west, no more interest was shown to arms then before, the only time that mythical effect did something was when pyra and mythra released where xenobolade 2 started charting digitally again. it's the other way around, the franchises in smash only boost the sales of smash since fans of that game want it now, in japan when sephiroth was revealed smash sold 20k that week, it usually sells around 5-10k a week on average.

Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BigUglyMan-Doll
He's pretty much a Physical manifestation of all the Evil that is trapped in Hell. The form you see in the avatar is also be Evolved form, he used to be a Giant yellow fat thing before
That sounds like the blob of melted marshmallow Peeps that I ate back in freshman year. Made me sick for days.

Thanks for the explanation.
I only really ever watched DBZ (and anime in general) during the Majin Buu era, so I don't know a thing about anything that happened after Frieza, Cell, and Buu. You could have told me just about anything and I would have believed you.

"Oh, that's Jibjub. He was the villian in Dragon Ball Ultra Mega Lightning DX++ Hyper Ultimate 27. He travels 1 trillion years from the future to battle Goku and uses the Sword of Tamago to separate Goku's soul from his body and traps it in a jewel on his belt. To defeat him, Vegeta, Piccolo, Buu, and Hercule have to fuse to become Vegolobuucule and power up to super saiyan level twelve while riding on Shenron's back."

Last edited:

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
People are prematurely ruling out some of our options at the first sign of a possible deconfirmation, and I think that's come back to haunt people with some of the characters in this pass.

I don't know if the Ancient Armor will be in BotW2. I don't know if Egg Guardian and Young Impa will be in BotW2. Do I think it really matters? No, not really, because at the time all of these things were added, they were promoting completely different games. Yes, they come from the same Zelda universe, but that's where the similarities end. Why on earth would they be adamant about saving the Ancient Armor for the BotW2 pack if they don't even know for sure if it'll be in the game? Same goes for the AoC Spirits.

As for SwSh, it had a Spirit Event. It's been almost a year and a half since that Spirit Event, so if they really wanted to commemorate/promote the launch, Spirits are a quick and easy solution. It wouldn't even be a waste of time considering how they've recycled Spirits on two occasions now.

Both Zelda and Pokémon could easily end up empty-handed after F11, but some people are way too quick to move these games from the "Possible" pile of candidates to "Not happening".
Not really come back to bite me. Just because I'm analyzing a character via what I think are deconfirmations doesn't mean I don't want them. I'd long decided Steve just wouldn't happen because I didn't think Microsoft was a company that would be gracious twice but if you look at my signature, I couldn't be more happy to be wrong. Along those lines, I'm pretty onboard with a Zelda rep if it's not one of the triforce trio.

osby

Smash Obsessed
It's pretty weird that these arguments about whether or not DLC Spirits and Miis count as disconfirmations only happens to the first parties as everyone agrees it means they're out for third parties
Maybe it's because there is more precedent about non-playable content making into the roster for first-party characters? :ultminmin :ultpyra:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Maybe it's because there is more precedent about non-playable content making into the roster for first-party characters? :ultminmin :ultpyra:
There's still a difference between content that was made with knowledge of future DLC being made and content that was made without it, neither the ARMS base game content or the Rex costume were put into the game after the second pass got greenlit

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Speculating on who a potential promotional character could be is kinda pointless and boring when we really don't know much about when most games are releasing or even half of what's coming out, let alone anything substantial about what we do know is coming beyond Mario Golf, Pokemon Snap and Skyward Sword HD.

We can cross off those three for Smash because spin-offs not named Mario Kart are more likely to get spirits than anything more substantial and ports/remasters/remakes rarely ever get anything at all.

We don't know anything about BotW2 outside of that trailer we got in 2019.
For a BotW2 character you're positing the questions of "Will Sakurai revisit BotW Zelda after rejecting her?", "Will Sakurai use Dry Ganondorf?", "Will Sakurai really sell us another version of an existing character on the roster?" and "Just who else is in the game?"

Maybe BotW2 has an awesome new character they can use, maybe Lonk ****to is the perfect Smash candidate and Sakurai was made aware of this and they're FP11. But we don't know if Lonk ****to even exists so it's a dead end for now.

If we actually had a better idea about upcoming game releases there'd actually be a conversation to have about potential promotional characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom