• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKX31

Smash Master
If we get a playable Smash character

I'm going with Giga Bowser.

He be alot easier to balance & make playable than making Master Hand work in a normal match. (unless they make a brand new mode to just play as MH)
Only problem with Giga Bowser is...

He already is susceptible to the Sacred Combo.

2004 quality FTW. :4pacman:

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Yeah, after the Ancient Armor became the Pass bonus there's absolutely no reason to expect a Zelda character in this pass.

"But the Rex outfit!"

Not only did Pyra and Mythra come out during Pass 2, not Pass 1, but the Rex costume is literally base game content that was held off as a promotional bonus, as evidenced by it literally being in the base 1.0.0 version of the game for Spirit Battles. The Ancient Armor, meanwhile, was literally brand new content made for the second pass.

"But not all Mii Costumes are related to the characters they come out with! Byleth didn't come with Fire Emblem costumes, they had Ubisoft ones! Pyra and Mythra didn't have Xenoblade costumes, they had Capcom ones!"

You're looking at the situation backwards. This doesn't save Zelda. It kills Ubisoft and Capcom. We didn't get Fire Emblem costumes as DLC before Byleth. We didn't get Xenoblade costumes as non-base game DLC before Pyra and Mythra. Ninjara's costume came alongside Min Min, not before her.

But we did get Ancient Armor before a Zelda character. Ergo, a Zelda character isn't happening. A Capcom character isn't happening. Splatoon, Assassin's Creed, Undertale, Fall-Out, Cuphead, Bomberman...they're all not happening. And the sooner people stay consistent with what they think knocks a choice out of the running, the better. It'll only save you the heartache later on when, inevitably, none of these characters are the last two, and there's no third pass.
I'm not so sure about that; it seems like saying that the first wave of Smash 4 Mii costumes had Capcom costumes in it (Mega Man X and Proto Man), so that rules out all Capcom characters for Smash 4 DLC. (which wasn't the case, since we got Ryu after that)

On a similar note, the third wave of Smash 4 Mii costumes had Fire Emblem characters in it, but that clearly didn't rule out Fire Emblem characters from becoming DLC. It seems premature to rule out entire companies and first party franchises (such as saying that all Zelda characters are ruled out because of a single Mii costume that is a generic set of armour rather than being tied to a character) based on a few Mii costumes. (or in some cases, a single Mii costume)

Ruling out specific characters, I get (it seems safe to say that we aren't getting Monster Hunter, Heihachi, Geno, Travis Touchdown, Sans, etc.), but it's odd to act like it's absolutely guaranteed that we're getting no Capcom characters because Monster Hunter and Ghosts 'n' Goblins got Mii costumes, (I don't see how that rules out Ace Attorney, Devil May Cry, Okami, Darkstalkers, Viewtiful Joe, etc. - Capcom seems to add costumes whenever they want) or that every single Konami character was immediately ruled out the moment that we got a single Goemon costume.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Definitely interesting. Took a few minutes to try and replicate it here. Could always be an error in the system, but assuming it isn't, it might be a bonus for purchasing both packs, bundled along with Volume 2. Falls in line with what Nintendo did with Piranha Plant (you could purchase it separately or get it for free if you bought Ultimate early).

That said, I could see the contents of said pack - whether it's a fighter, costume, stage or whatever - being unveiled in a final Smash presentation along with CP11.

What I'm curious about is how that fits in the release timeline, especially if it's a character. I'm assuming they'd have no stage or Spirits, like PP, but I think this just might be why we still have December as a placeholder date even though Volume 2 appears to be far ahead of that schedule. So we'd get:
  • CP10: May/June 2021
  • CP11: August/September 2021
  • BONUS: November/December 2021
Something like that would allow Nintendo a chance to do a decent marketing push for the game in showing off all the various DLC characters come the holiday season, perhaps even tying into the third anniversary of Smash Ultimate's release by releasing a bonus fighter on that exact date.

Most likely this all means absolutely nothing, but it is fun to speculate about.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I kinda want that Master Hand mode, it’d be kinda like Galactus Mode in Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3. I wonder if you’d be able to use even clone puppets of the DLC fighters + Kirby and set their alignments (light/dark) as you please
Galactus Mode do support this, but idk, feel like the appeal of such mode can get old quite quickly.

A brand new fighter avaible in all mode would be better in the long run, tho nothing stop them to just have both.
Only problem with Giga Bowser is...

The Sacred Combo.

2007 quality FTW. :4pacman:
But what about...
TEH PH1R3?!!

We're really going back to the past here.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm not so sure about that; it seems like saying that the first wave of Smash 4 Mii costumes had Capcom costumes in it (Mega Man X and Proto Man), so that rules out all Capcom characters for Smash 4 DLC. (which wasn't the case, since we got Ryu after that) It seems premature to rule out entire companies and franchises based on a few Mii costumes. (or in some cases, a single Mii costume)
Smash 4 clearly didn't follow a format, remember, Smash 4 not only didn't have a pass, didn't include stages for every character, didn't have fancy CG trailers made for the characters and, get this, put out Mii Costumes whenever the hell they wanted instead of when characters dropped

Geno Boost

Smash Master
It would cool if the bonus fighter is the retro rep of smash ultimate
Remember we got 2 in melee :ulticeclimbers::ultgnw:
We also got 2 in brawl :ultrob::ultpit:
In smash 4 we got 1 :ultduckhunt:
In smash ultimate I don’t think we had one yet i thought we would have gotten Mach Rider or Sukapon or Harry (teleroboxer) this time also the fact we have wrecking crew and pilot wings and balloon fighter stages but without rep from those games kinda feels weird

Last edited:

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
In smash ultimate I don’t think we had one yet i thought we would have gotten Mach Rider or Sukapon or Harry (teleroboxer) this time also the fact we have wrecking crew and pilot wings and balloon fighter stages but without rep from those games kinda feels weird
Simon is retro. so is half of the hero too.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Has anyone actually verified the info or is everyone getting bamboozled?
I messed around a bit with the Nintendo website's region selector and apparently, Australia and New Zealand do use the same links. So that part makes sense.

What I'm curious is if someone can reach that page with all of the DLC just by navigating the website normally instead of using a direct link. Then we'd have confirmation, at least.

Something like that would allow Nintendo a chance to do a decent marketing push for the game in showing off all the various DLC characters come the holiday season, perhaps even tying into the third anniversary of Smash Ultimate's release by releasing a bonus fighter on that exact date.

Most likely this all means absolutely nothing, but it is fun to speculate about.
Definitely. It's more fun than most rumors, at least.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I mean given we had Terry and Banjo in the first pass, both of whom were as old or older than Game & Watch and Ice Climbers were relative to Melee, I think some retro representation can be claimed.

Last edited:

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
I messed around a bit with the Nintendo website's region selector and apparently, Australia and New Zealand do use the same links. So that part makes sense.

What I'm curious is if someone can reach that page with all of the DLC just by navigating the website normally instead of using a direct link. Then we'd have confirmation, at least.
If this helps, here's a link to the all dlc page

The numbers match up as far as I can tell

How is Piranha Plant numbered, I’m curious
Immediately before Joker
https://ec.nintendo.com/NZ/en/aocs/70050000008501 (Plant)
https://ec.nintendo.com/NZ/en/aocs/70050000008502 (Joker)
https://ec.nintendo.com/NZ/en/aocs/70050000008503 (Hero)

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
...Didn't we have Game & Watch games slowly even during Melee?

That said, Simon himself is barely used by the time of Ultimate, but yeah, his franchise is extremely active anyway.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Immediately before Joker
https://ec.nintendo.com/NZ/en/aocs/70050000008501 (Plant)
https://ec.nintendo.com/NZ/en/aocs/70050000008502 (Joker)
https://ec.nintendo.com/NZ/en/aocs/70050000008503 (Hero)
It could also be an individual DLC like PP then

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yes, try clicking on these links:
https://ec.nintendo.com/NZ/en/aocs/70050000018972 (CP11)
https://ec.nintendo.com/NZ/en/aocs/70050000018973 (Nothing)
https://ec.nintendo.com/NZ/en/aocs/70050000018974 (Mii costume)

Keep in mind that the numbers are mismatched between FP1 and FP2, so this is specifically related to FP2 in some way
Hm. And the Ancient Armour costume is the start of the second pack's Mii Costumes? That is a bit strange.

They have confirmed that there are only two fighters left though, so whatever it is, it's not a fighter. At most exciting, I'd guess that this is a stage pack.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
If I need to choose a bonus fighter, I would put Bandana Waddle Dee. He is a popular request (got 2nd place in Source Gaming 2019 poll) we haven’t had a new kirby fighter since Brawl (that was 13 years ago) and a there isn’t any fighter who uses mainly a spear. In addition, I think his design should be very easy as they can use Kirby’s model. Kirby’s 30th is next year though I think that doesn’t matters too much.

Also, he is a Kirby enemy just like Piranha Plant.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Might be a bit late to the convo, but regarding LoZ, I'm not really expecting it because of A: The Ancient Armor Mii, and B: The AoC Spirit Event. Yeah, we got Rex as a Mii and Pyra as a fighter, but Rex was practically a base game Mii and Pyra was in FP2. If we got a Zelda rep in the pass, it would be in the same pass as the Ancient Armor Mii but not in the same wave, and it'd feel weird to split up the Zelda content in the same pass when there's the big Zelda content pack, too. Same with the Spirits; I'd imagine they would be released with a BotW-themed pack, since regardless of game it's still part of the BotW sub-series. BotW is recent and heavily pushed, and if we get a Zelda pack it's probably for a BotW game. I'm of mind that any sort of post-launch content is a blow to a series, so I'm not really eyeing a Zelda rep at the moment.
TBF, Nintendo probably wants people to continue playing ARMS - ARMS was pushed by them akin to how Splatoon initially was pushed (and the planned ARMS comic suggests an initial attempt to establish a multi-media franchise). While ARMS didn't do all that well once the initial post-release months had passed, it retained enough of a playerbase to the point talks amongst Nintendo's executives likely went down like this:

"Okay, this game sold well initially and has an active playerbase, but most people didn't play past the initial months and the comic's in limbo. How can we get people interested in ARMS again?"
"Smash Bros."

It's worth remembering that promotional content can be meant for games which are a couple years old or even older, due to how some promoted games (e.g. ARMS, Splatoon, a lot of live service games) are meant to be these long-lasting franchises that get updated for a longer time than single-player experiences usually get.
True, but ARMS wasn't quite brand new at the time like Three Houses was. It was more like Robin in Smash 4 than Greninja; Something to help move the series along rather than timing them so they dropped when they were the hot new stuff.
i think ayumi tachibana is more likely since both of her games are releasing in the west in June or july right?

if fp11 comes out in october i can see stylist if her game comes out around october or november.
FDC's in May, actually.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think a lot of the 4th main/recurring first party characters (Dixie, Impa, Bandana Dee, Toad) would be decent picks for a bonus fighter because the would be less overall risky in terms of investment, even if I would lament the lack of stage or songs that they would otherwise bring.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Yes, but the question is: can you reach this link just by navigating through the New Zealand Nintendo website?

It does use a slightly different adress than other pages, so I'm wondering if this is just a general URL change that sometimes happens (TOS appears to use a single page no matter your region, for example) or if it's a sign of an elaborate prank.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
This is how Bill Rizer can win!

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Already assuming they gave up on Metroid Prime 4 because of development heck?
I mean, we were just talking about the current state of Level-5 yesterday, and that was started because Inazuma Eleven has been in the oven for so long, the house is about to burn down. Can you really blame them?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Already assuming they gave up on Metroid Prime 4 because of development heck?
It's been 4 years since the announcement and the last news was 'lol we restarted development' 2 years ago, I'm pretty ****ing sure it's dead now and it's up to Nintendo to prove me the **** wrong. Prime 4 was a hoax to sell Switches in 2017 to make people think they still cared about Prime

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Personally I think an Undertale character is still possible, but I guess the chance is slim unless the deal was made before FP2 was greenlit around E3 2019. I think Toby Fox was in Japan before then, though...idk if Nintendo would go back to him or not...man I just want Sans & Papyrus or Frisk & Chara :c

I at least think another Sonic character is possible, since the mii costumes definitely came before FP2 was greenlit if Imran Khan is correct about it being greenlit around E3 2019.

As for the bonus fighter/whatever evidence, here are my bets:
  • Metal Mario, maybe with Meta Crystal stage (Metal Mario would look different than just Mario with the metal box, having a different shiny gray texture matching his Mario Kart appearance or his render from that series; would have different stats and some different moves)
  • Old stages pack (pls Meta Crystal and Poké Floats)
  • Mii costumes
  • Bonus echo fighter(s)
  • Waluigi
  • Toad
  • Pokémon
  • Primid
  • Sandbag
  • Or, of course, we lose, we get nothing, good day sirs and mesdames

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm not so sure about that; it seems like saying that the first wave of Smash 4 Mii costumes had Capcom costumes in it (Mega Man X and Proto Man), so that rules out all Capcom characters for Smash 4 DLC. (which wasn't the case, since we got Ryu after that)

On a similar note, the third wave of Smash 4 Mii costumes had Fire Emblem characters in it, but that clearly didn't rule out Fire Emblem characters from becoming DLC. It seems premature to rule out entire companies and first party franchises (such as saying that all Zelda characters are ruled out because of a single Mii costume that is a generic set of armour rather than being tied to a character) based on a few Mii costumes. (or in some cases, a single Mii costume)

Ruling out specific characters, I get (it seems safe to say that we aren't getting Monster Hunter, Heihachi, Geno, Travis Touchdown, Sans, etc.), but it's odd to act like it's absolutely guaranteed that we're getting no Capcom characters because Monster Hunter and Ghosts 'n' Goblins got Mii costumes. (I don't see how that rules out Ace Attorney, Devil May Cry, Okami, Darkstalkers, Viewtiful Joe, etc. - Capcom seems to add costumes whenever they want)
I mean this is really simple to counter. Smash Ultimate isn't Smash 4. Smash 4's DLC cycle was slapdash and erratic, even down to the slot that would later be filled by Corrin being added mid-development.

Ultimate is its own beast, and is far more rigid and organized. The fact that the only hope for these franchises is using precedent from a past game is a pretty clear cut sign of doom.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It's been 4 years since the announcement and the last news was 'lol we restarted development' 2 years ago, I'm pretty *ing sure it's dead now and it's up to Nintendo to prove me the * wrong. Prime 4 was a hoax to sell Switches in 2017 to make people think they still cared about Prime
Well the Metroid Prime games are fairly large, and the typical dev cycle is 3-5 years long, so it's not really that farfetched for the game to still be in development since that announcement, even if things were going smoothly after that point.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Wasn't Dark Samus (& Chrom) choosed to be playable echo due their popularity in the ballot? Or just just being popular choices in general?

I swear I remember a detail like that when they were revealed.

Last edited:

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
It's been 4 years since the announcement and the last news was 'lol we restarted development' 2 years ago, I'm pretty *ing sure it's dead now and it's up to Nintendo to prove me the * wrong. Prime 4 was a hoax to sell Switches in 2017 to make people think they still cared about Prime
if they were to show gameplay now it would look horrendous, it still need's another 2-3 years in the oven. unless you want cyberpunk 2077 metroid prime.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Well the Metroid Prime games are fairly large, and the typical dev cycle is 3-5 years long, so it's not really that farfetched for the game to still be in development since that announcement, even if things were going smoothly after that point.
Fair enough, but consider the following: It's been 2 years and we haven't even seen a single piece of concept art and haven't heard anything since. This tends to be a bad sign

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
Hm. And the Ancient Armour costume is the start of the second pack's Mii Costumes? That is a bit strange.
No, the Mii Costumes’ numberings are, to put it simply, wack

Mii Costumes in the same wave have numbers that are close to each other but they aren’t ordered, Mii Costumes in different waves are just all over the place number wise

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Dark Samus is literally dead, Metroid Prime is dead until proven otherwise and was created by Retro, there's your Retro rep
i wouldnt regard 2000s era as retro pick for example Golden sun is dead but still regarded as more modern than :ultrob::ultgnw::ulticeclimbers::ultduckhunt: which were still absent in the 2000s era and 2010s era i wouldnt count cameos

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think its entirely possible that Nintendo was internally furious at MP4 having to be restarted and regretted showing off anything about it so early. So it could be they've decided that absolutely nothing is getting revealed to the public until they're completely certain its on its way to being finished on time.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Wasn't Dark Samus (& Chrom) choosed to be playable echo due their popularity in the ballot? Or just just being popular choices in general?

I swear I remember a detail like that when they were revealed.
They were specifically picked from the ballot, yes.

SKX31

Smash Master
Yes, but the question is: can you reach this link just by navigating through the New Zealand Nintendo website?

It does use a slightly different adress than other pages, so I'm wondering if this is just a general URL change that sometimes happens (TOS appears to use a single page no matter your region, for example) or if it's a sign of an elaborate prank.
The New Zealand Nintendo website huh?

Just don't tell Nintendo, or they'll go:

hey_what_can_i_say__except_by_lookiehereo0o_de082vp-fullview.jpg

:4pacman:

Also, added music because it fits:

Fair enough, but consider the following: It's been 2 years and we haven't even seen a single piece of concept art and haven't heard anything since. This tends to be a bad sign
While it can be a bad sign, it's also worth remembering that since we're talking a Prime game, it's very likely to be very large in scope. It's a central theme in all three Prime games so far, and I'd imagine that Retro would want as solid footing as possible before showing anything off. Valve is another good example of this philosophy - usually they don't show things off until they're 100 % sure it's ready, even if it takes 3+ years to get to that point. And Valve's projects usually tend to be large scale as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom