• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Smash did introduce Fire Emblem to quite a lot of people in the West, but that doesn't mean it boosted the sales of the series. That wasn't the case.
In fact, Ike's games on Gamecube and Wii are the worst selling entries in the West IIRC. And those were obviously released after Melee.

FE started doing good on sales with Awakening, when Nintendo basically realize they had to ACTUALLY market their games and not only Mario and Zelda. That wasn't the only factor, of course, but FE doing good has barely anything to do with Smash.

As for that supposed DK game Nintendo is developing internally... If it's true they better include Dixie and K. Rool in it. Because knowing them I wouldn't be surprised if we get a "bland" DK game in terms of setting, enemies and visuals with only DK and Diddy.
I mean I love the idea of Nintendo doing a DK Country game but at the same time I fear for them making a New Super Mario Bros game with a DK skin with barely any difficulty.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

What are everyone's thoughts?
How about instead of linking the clickbait video and asking our thoughts you say what gets mentioned? Also, the fact this is the first I've seen this anywhere is telling me it wa uploaded 2 days ago

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
How about instead of linking the clickbait video and asking our thoughts you say what gets mentioned? Also, the fact this is the first I've seen this anywhere is telling me it wa uploaded 2 days ago
Papa is usually clickbait as sin but he actually went pretty in depth this time, the Reddit post also goes more in depth.

Essentialy they skip a number between CP11 and the bonus Mii costume we got for the ancient armor. Which implies that’s one thing is supposed to take that number instead.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Papa is usually clickbait as sin but he actually went pretty in depth this time, the Reddit post also goes more in depth.

Essentialy they skip a number between CP11 and the bonus Mii costume we got for the ancient armor. Which implies that’s one thing is supposed to take that number instead.
What gets me is that the reddit post could have been uploaded on April 1st in a US timezone, especially with how long it supposedly took to get this noticed, this is the kind of **** we see in the first week since

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
What gets me is that the reddit post could have been uploaded on April 1st in a US timezone, especially with how long it supposedly took to get this noticed, this is the kind of **** we see in the first week since
Ah. It's just a joke then. I guess this is everyone's first time having to deal with these for the whole week.

cashregister9

Smash Hero

What are everyone's thoughts?
Hmmm. This seems interesting but this has the stipulation of Websites being weird with how they handle things internally.

So, I know this is a Reddit post, but has this been shared yet?
How I'm interpreting this is you need a NSO subscription and then you would need to by games individually as well, and that is such an aggressively Nintendo move that I can actually kinda buy it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
How I'm interpreting this is you need a NSO subscription and then you would need to by games individually as well, and that is such an aggressivel
I mean, that's what the NSO vouchers were. Still bull**** NoA got rid of that, RIP to all the Americans but I still have access to that as a European

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I mean, that's what the NSO vouchers were. Still bull**** NoA got rid of that, RIP to all the Americans but I still have access to that as a European
At least when the vouchers were a thing the games themselves were not NSO exclusive, if I'm reading the rumors right the retro games would be exclusive to that service.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Not that I really believe the reddit post in question, but I will say is that a single bonus character without a stage, and minimal to no songs/spirits realistically does sound like the only content we could get after the second pass.

No idea whom it would be other than a first party fighter, though a Konami character would fit in to my half baked unproven Mirror Theory that all the third party characters added to Ultimate follow a reflection pattern (Konami, Capcom, Sega, Square Enix, Microsoft, SNK, Microsoft, Square Enix, Sega, Capcom, Konami)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Here's an idea: what if that extra slot is for a new Echo Fighter? Not likely, but I guess it's possible...
They did say no Echoes... in passes. Once you get to individual DLC that goes out the window I’d think
Eww clickbait video.

But seriously its interesting, I dunno if its a bonus fighter or a bonus mii or just them numbering the website oddly but a bonus fighter is definitely plausible and this is the first legitimate evidence that one might exist that I've seen.
Yo Papagenos

that self own tho :awesome:

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Hmmm. This seems interesting but this has the stipulation of Websites being weird with how they handle things internally.

How I'm interpreting this is you need a NSO subscription and then you would need to by games individually as well, and that is such an aggressively Nintendo move that I can actually kinda buy it.
Assuming it's all true:

Nintendo might at least attempt to justify it by giving discounts to N64 and onwards games on the NSO and generally treating NSO as an "exclusive club". While it would be a first for Nintendo to give discounts, Nintendo have given similar offers in Club Nintendo etc.

Which would still be rather scummy since the customer's paying twice (NSO + old game) for an older product, but it might make it more palatable for your average Joe / Jane since $20 / year isn't a lot (despite NSO's shortcomings compared to Sony's and Microsoft's counterparts).

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Eww clickbait video.

But seriously its interesting, I dunno if its a bonus fighter or a bonus mii or just them numbering the website oddly but a bonus fighter is definitely plausible and this is the first legitimate evidence that one might exist that I've seen.
Holy crap Lois, it's a source template | Peter Griffin At The Door / Holy  Crap Lois, It's X! | Know Your Meme

holy crap lois it's papagenos!

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Eww clickbait video.

Speak of the devil and he shall appear...

Though I will agree, this is the closest we've gotten to evidence of post-FP2 DLC.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Eww clickbait video.

I know this ain't the best place for this but.....

Yooo PapaGenos hello! I'm a fan of your channel and I think you are one of the more trustworthy Smash leak channels out there. I enjoy your content and always look forward to your videos, even if I might disagree with some of your points. But it's nice seeing you around here.

Anyway, I do think this is an interesting line of thinking. If we do get a bonus fighter, my money is on Waluigi as a standalone fighter. I always thought that Geno would be a good choice for a bonus fighter but that's not looking likely now.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yeah, after the Ancient Armor became the Pass bonus there's absolutely no reason to expect a Zelda character in this pass.

"But the Rex outfit!"

Not only did Pyra and Mythra come out during Pass 2, not Pass 1, but the Rex costume is literally base game content that was held off as a promotional bonus, as evidenced by it literally being in the base 1.0.0 version of the game for Spirit Battles. The Ancient Armor, meanwhile, was literally brand new content made for the second pass.

"But not all Mii Costumes are related to the characters they come out with! Byleth didn't come with Fire Emblem costumes, they had Ubisoft ones! Pyra and Mythra didn't have Xenoblade costumes, they had Capcom ones!"

You're looking at the situation backwards. This doesn't save Zelda. It kills Ubisoft and Capcom. We didn't get Fire Emblem costumes as DLC before Byleth. We didn't get Xenoblade costumes as non-base game DLC before Pyra and Mythra. Ninjara's costume came alongside Min Min, not before her.

But we did get Ancient Armor before a Zelda character. Ergo, a Zelda character isn't happening. A Capcom character isn't happening. Splatoon, Assassin's Creed, Undertale, Fall-Out, Cuphead, Bomberman...they're all not happening. And the sooner people stay consistent with what they think knocks a choice out of the running, the better. It'll only save you the heartache later on when, inevitably, none of these characters are the last two, and there's no third pass.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
The extra space in the website slots foretells something. The problem is we have no idea what it is. Once it's revealed we can all go "Oh, that makes sense" but until then I wouldn't get my hopes up about an extra fighter.

Remember back when Sephiroth was about to be presented and we couldn't figure out why he has so few slots reserved? The speculation went wild with him coming with only 1 or 2 mii costumes. It turned out that the Sephiroth boss event and early release were the cause of it. We just don't have enough information to make educated guesses about what this mystery slot could be.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Eww clickbait video.

Definitely interesting. Took a few minutes to try and replicate it here. Could always be an error in the system, but assuming it isn't, it might be a bonus for purchasing both packs, bundled along with Volume 2. Falls in line with what Nintendo did with Piranha Plant (you could purchase it separately or get it for free if you bought Ultimate early).

That said, I could see the contents of said pack - whether it's a fighter, costume, stage or whatever - being unveiled in a final Smash presentation along with CP11.

What I'm curious about is how that fits in the release timeline, especially if it's a character. I'm assuming they'd have no stage or Spirits, like PP, but I think this just might be why we still have December as a placeholder date even though Volume 2 appears to be far ahead of that schedule. So we'd get:
  • CP10: May/June 2021
  • CP11: August/September 2021
  • BONUS: November/December 2021

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Yeah, after the Ancient Armor became the Pass bonus there's absolutely no reason to expect a Zelda character in this pass.

"But the Rex outfit!"

Not only did Pyra and Mythra come out during Pass 2, not Pass 1, but the Rex costume is literally base game content that was held off as a promotional bonus, as evidenced by it literally being in the base 1.0.0 version of the game for Spirit Battles. The Ancient Armor, meanwhile, was literally brand new content made for the second pass.

"But not all Mii Costumes are related to the characters they come out with! Byleth didn't come with Fire Emblem costumes, they had Ubisoft ones! Pyra and Mythra didn't have Xenoblade costumes, they had Capcom ones!"

You're looking at the situation backwards. This doesn't save Zelda. It kills Ubisoft and Capcom. We didn't get Fire Emblem costumes as DLC before Byleth. We didn't get Xenoblade costumes as non-base game DLC before Pyra and Mythra. Ninjara's costume came alongside Min Min, not before her.

But we did get Ancient Armor before a Zelda character. Ergo, a Zelda character isn't happening. A Capcom character isn't happening. Splatoon, Assassin's Creed, Undertale, Fall-Out, Cuphead, Bomberman...they're all not happening. And the sooner people stay consistent with what they think knocks a choice out of the running, the better. It'll only save you the heartache later on when, inevitably, none of these characters are the last two, and there's no third pass.
I completely agree! Unless of course, a character I like has this happen, then Smash fans are hastily dismissing the possibilities, but only if it's the one I like
Honestly I feel bad for you man, there's no doubt in my mind that PMD was just completely skipped. Hopefully there'll be more PMD remakes in the future

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
You know what my theory is?

After the second pass, they'll release one bonus character: fighter #00, Master Hand.
If we get a playable Smash character

I'm going with Giga Bowser.

He be alot easier to balance & make playable than making Master Hand work in a normal match. (unless they make a brand new mode to just play as MH)

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If we get a playable Smash character

I'm going with Giga Bowser.

He be alot easier to balance & make playable than making Master Hand work in a normal match. (unless they make a brand new mode to just play as MH)
I kinda want that Master Hand mode, it’d be kinda like Galactus Mode in Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3. I wonder if you’d be able to use even clone puppets of the DLC fighters + Kirby and set their alignments (light/dark) as you please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom