• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK mains are pretty sexy | DK Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Wow seriously?
Donkey Kong is only my secondary and I decided to come and help out the Donkey Kong boards because he went down another whoping four spots, but I can see why now -_-...
It's so dead here! Where is everyone!?

daisho

Smash Lord
Yes... the DK boards are the second most dead boards in the game. Although there are some people who read them multiple times every day... (me)...

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
Yes... the DK boards are the second most dead boards in the game. Although there are some people who read them multiple times every day... (me)...
I do too lol, but yes we are very dead.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Whoa **** second most dead eh? Jeezo, I'm a regular for you guys now then...Donkey Kong is just that cool and underrated in the game.
Well if we all check it so much, why do I feel like most of the time nobody is posting...
Yeah exactly...we need more posters and less "lookers" -_-...

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
I post almost every time I come here which is a lot. It's dead on Saturdays because everyone is at tournaments trying to rep DK.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
I mostly check out the DK boards more than i post, which is during work. :p

I only post when i feel its necessary.

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
Backstab starts with b and ends with b?

On current topic: I'm not really knowledgeable enough to help the DK boards (not to mention new). The only people I really play are my friends, and we're not particularly good anyway. Although I'm working on getting to more tournaments, but no car + no cash = not so many tournies. =\

Poor DK.

daisho

Smash Lord
I'm so bad... I can't even get any better... I played wifi alot (like 40 aib matches) and then a ton against level 9 computers and then when I played my friend that I usually play I did just as well as I normally do...

Any tips?

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Switch up your play style. Its not good to do the exact same things when playing, especially when playing against the same person.

daisho

Smash Lord
Well I notice some problems with my game... I always am getting grabbed... it happens way too much. Also I often don't know what to do OoS. When he is behind me I Up B but he grabs me reliably. And I can't grab cause hes behind me. Also when I spot dodge a grab what should I do next. This guy ALWAYS grabs again and I know it will happen but I don't know what to do against it.

Do you guys use C stick for Bairs? If not, how do you space it so you don't get shield grabbed?

ook

Smash Lord
yeah I usually C stick to space the bairs.

Try ftilting or even uptilting OoS if he's behind you. Or you could just roll or jump to get out of the way.

When you spot dodge a grab... I dunno. try jabbing or dtilt, or grab him back.

daisho

Smash Lord
All those are too slow. I have to drop my shield and do that attack and all has to do is grab... I usually try to roll away but even that doesn't work always.

Thanks for the input.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Oos if hes behind you up tilt. If hes in front grab him.

If you get grabbed out of back airs, then space them better. By this i mean, when you hit him, always always always make sure you hit the opponent with your foot and only your foot. Once you get the hang of that spacing, try hitting him with your toes. Once you get this down they wont be able to grab you.

Also if nothing seems to work and you keep getting grabbed or hit when there near. Just double jump away or roll away.

daisho

Smash Lord
K thanks for the advice.

I'm going to my first ever tourney in 2-3 weeks. How should I prepare for it. This is the first time in my life i'm playing people that I haven't played before offline. I only play with one person offline.

ook

Smash Lord
Get there really early and play people.
Then stay as late as you can and play more people.

I guess just keep playing wifi against good people for now. It's not TOO different from offline, just... you can't powershield stuff as often.

daisho

Smash Lord
I also have ALOT of trouble doing Jump cancelled up B online. It takes away one of my main approaches so... Also, hard to do the Up B tech on Yoshis.

Thanks though.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
When they are behind you and you are blocking try jumping OoS to Bair. Even if you miss or they block it you can space yourself and it is faster than Utilt OoS if they aren't so close they're touching you. If they are Utilt would be one frame faster but it probably isn't going to make a huge difference. It takes some time getting used to it but it will only help your game if you learn how to do aerials OoS.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
When they are behind you and you are blocking try jumping OoS to Bair. Even if you miss or they block it you can space yourself and it is faster than Utilt OoS if they aren't so close they're touching you. If they are Utilt would be one frame faster but it probably isn't going to make a huge difference. It takes some time getting used to it but it will only help your game if you learn how to do aerials OoS.
THIS. Bair OoS all day.

crifer

Smash Lord
I mainly use utilt, if they are behind me... sometimes bair, but since its slower... idk,
retreating bairs are safe on block, I try them more as defensive...

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Lately ive been doing alot of

jumping then charging for 2 wind ups,

Cancel it then jump again,

Charge another 2 wind ups,

Cancel then come down with a forward air.

LMAO I know this sounds stupid, but when you do it it feels so awesome, like your being super technical. Also idk why, but i always hit with the forward air. I guess there so confused they forget to shield or something. Im going to start mixing it up with side b and down airs when i go off stage.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
That's actually a really good idea. Empty short hops make people wig out and charging a punch during it is just spending your time more efficiently. You could probably land a lot of stuff out of this.

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
Gonna be playing DK in 2v2 in a few days at a tourney, first time. Any tips specific to 2v2? Never really played it seriously before so I'm not sure what to expect... Aside from losing & probably killing my teammate :)

Also, what do you guys think of Delfino? I kinda like it but I'm not sure how it is for other characters =\

daisho

Smash Lord
Delfino is good. You have all kinds of things like tilt locks and walk off kills and water spikes. It also is good for B airing. I really like it.

blakinola

Constantly Delicious
If there's anything I've learned from playing vBrawl and Brawl+, it's walk, never run.

Always charge fsmash off the ledge.

Pound your chest after a win.

ook

Smash Lord
Gonna be playing DK in 2v2 in a few days at a tourney, first time. Any tips specific to 2v2? Never really played it seriously before so I'm not sure what to expect... Aside from losing & probably killing my teammate :)
Do you know about the 2v1 grab release infinite thing? if it's 2v1, just get a grab and keep pummeling them while your teammate stands on the other side and does the same when he breaks out. I'm sure you'll see people doing it.... it's game over if you get a grab in 2v1

Also try to stay off to the side and space, don't rush into the middle, or else you'll get combo'd really bad.

Also, what do you guys think of Delfino? I kinda like it but I'm not sure how it is for other characters =\
Ya, it's really good, as daisho said.

But if you ever fall in the water, make sure to do side-taunt as soon as you jump out.
DK is top tier on Delfino, simply because he's the only character in the game who can shake the water off. ;)
No one can handle a completely dry ape

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
Yes, it's really good, as daisho said.

But if you ever fall in the water, make sure to do side-taunt as soon as you jump out.
DK is top tier on Delfino, simply because he's the only character in the game who can shake the water off. ;)
No one can handle a completely dry ape
Mario's FLUDD move is useless against DK for the exact same reason. There's just no keeping a good ape down wet.

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman

I always forget to make use of the walls, but never forget to shake... I dry that way irl after all

crifer

Smash Lord
btw where is Bum???
I didnt see him place in tourneys since like 2-3 months....
did he quit? I heard he get tired of brawl?? wtf?

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
Haha nice match. Can't believe you got snake that last time, was cuttin' it close :p I'll probably be playing with Kirby too, unless he plays Marth.

You win or lose that set?

edit: Anyone know WTF i1337 posted in the Rate My DK thread? Most of what I see are white & red blocks... and they aren't even all even :(

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
^ LOL

TBH, double DK will only work if you actually combo with each other.

But most importantly, and this pretty much applies to all characters and players.

The two players have to be in sync with each other. IF not then trust me, Double Dk does not work as well as one would think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom