• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy will be the TOP 4 chars in brawl at high levels

RPK

Smash Lord
I do think that its Mk, Snake, Falco, Wario, and Marth...
Also Falco>>>>Diddy
Chain Grab, to spike, to falling Bair on your recovery for the gimp...Hella gay...

Jupz

Smash Master
Hmm hey F5.Phantom :D

Anyone I doubt wario will get much higher then what he is now. He is a good character but look at the characters above him. Diddy Kong, Marth, G&W, DDD, Falco. I doubt he is going to overtake any of them. He's simply not good enough even without the grab release. I can't see the top 4 changing but 5-8 could go any way I suppose. It will be interesting.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
i personally think d3, falco, snake, MK, GW, wario are higher than diddy

but thats just me

ADHD

Smash Hero
King dedede's game is all "dried up." He cannot get any better or produce much more strategies as people find more strategies against him himself. He will sink, when is the last time you saw a king d3 win a tourney? Also, don't ICs completely **** falco?

lain

Smash Master
I saw myself win two like a month ago. I either win tournaments or I place one spot below Anther and it's always last game ><

King DDD's strategies are too solid, and that's just the thing about him. Running around shieldgrabbing and bairing are his forte.

And yes IC's do completely **** Falco. I honestly think that Falco is a little overrated.

ADHD

Smash Hero
What are the characters other than MK that the footstool gimp works on?

Luigi has more than a 60-40 advantage on Diddy imo. It's easily his worst matchup.
Not if you know how to handle it. The thing is you have to completely play differently. Utilt is a beast and so is ftilt against luigi. As long as you don't let him get in close enough to jab you often he's not going to win :) Spam fair lol, literally.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
lol that's how I went even with Boss in one crew battle, spammed fair like there was no tomorrow haha. But every other time he's ***** me. You should play him to see what I mean, he's so smart and gets that up b kill at 40% so much lol. It's also incredibly hard to kill him.

Btw, what are the 10 characters that the footstool gimp works on other than MK?

ADHD

Smash Hero
lol that's how I went even with Boss in one crew battle, spammed fair like there was no tomorrow haha. But every other time he's ***** me. You should play him to see what I mean, he's so smart and gets that up b kill at 40% so much lol. It's also incredibly hard to kill him.

Btw, what are the 10 characters that the footstool gimp works on other than MK?
i posted a list just search 4 it

Roxas215

Smash Lord
I think diddy is at best 5th at worst tied with game and watch

Mk
Snake
Falco
Dedede
Diddy-Game and watch
Marth

I do think that diddy is the most versatile char in the game and every single diddy plays differently because diddy is a char that is totally controlled by the mindgames of the player. You can't make one strategy against diddy because every diddy is played differently.

ADHD who do you consider a worst matchup for diddy? Luigi or Peach? I can't seem to beat a good luigi then again i kinda suck without nannerz lol.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
I think diddy is at best 5th at worst tied with game and watch

Mk
Snake
Falco
Dedede
Diddy-Game and watch
Marth

I do think that diddy is the most versatile char in the game and every single diddy plays differently because diddy is a char that is totally controlled by the mindgames of the player. You can't make one strategy against diddy because every diddy is played differently.

ADHD who do you consider a worst matchup for diddy? Luigi or Peach? I can't seem to beat a good luigi then again i kinda suck without nannerz lol.
SOOOOOMEONE doesnt live near any warios lol.

CO18

Smash Hero
Mk,Snake,Wario,Dedede,Falco,Diddy. Thats the list right now.

Diddy will prob be top 4 like u said

DDD will go down, nothing new will be learned with wario but he can get around anything, diddy will just go up, i dunno about falco

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Lol, you'd be surprised, we're discovering tons of new things with Wario, mostly involving creative usage of the bike... and finding out that his moves have some stupidly huge range (his jab has same range as MK dsmash, roflcopters)

xoxokev

Smash Lord
Can you please explain "-Good shield options"...

the only things I can think of are:
1) Shield grab
2) OoS bair
3) Throwing/glide tossing a banana

I'm curious to know what else Diddy can do OoS

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
Do you really need much other than those?

Bair is really fast with fairly good range.

Shieldgrab is your bread and butter.

Tossing a banana out of shield can punish even a shielded Ftilt from DDD.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Well If you powershield the attack go for a smash.
But personally I usually just go for throwing the banana. For me, its the safest option.

cornxnuts

Smash Apprentice
SUNY Binghamton / Suffolk County, New York
I read everything you wrote Chrome. The main thing that I see between diddy's ascension to top tier-ness is banana game. Sure, a good diddy will know whether to have 1 or 2 out, and can control them. But is it not possible that people (At least at higher levels of play) will wise up and begin shorthopping airdodging to catch thrown bananas? Most people can already run->shorthop->airdodge to get naners on the ground, it's only a matter of time that they sharpen their reflexes and learn to do it against one's in the air.

Also, yes I do agree with some people being able to supergimp his recovery (sonic, peach, etc.) but i don't think it's that much of a problem. I usually DI up a bit, so i rarely recover from below.

Freezewish

Smash Ace
The list in my opinion:

Mk
Snake
Falco
Diddy
Wario
D3
Gnw
Marth
Olimar

Good warios are almost impossible to grab and his aerial mobility, recovery, and kill potential are all among the best in the game.

He is highly underrated. Top 5 in Brawl =o

ADHD

Smash Hero
Oos: Up b to charge it if they're going to throw it at their shield, up smash out of shield works well sometimes but its situational, bair, fair sometimes works, but diddy's banana game out of a shield is so good.....

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I read everything you wrote Chrome. The main thing that I see between diddy's ascension to top tier-ness is banana game. Sure, a good diddy will know whether to have 1 or 2 out, and can control them. But is it not possible that people (At least at higher levels of play) will wise up and begin shorthopping airdodging to catch thrown bananas? Most people can already run->shorthop->airdodge to get naners on the ground, it's only a matter of time that they sharpen their reflexes and learn to do it against one's in the air.
Since the game came out people always discredit Diddy by saying "well you can just use his bananas better than him". First, I almost feel like Diddy was designed to use bananas, his glide toss is the perfect length, his dash attack is the best for picking them up, his air attacks are all quick and can pick them up easy, etc. Second, though, is that it simply won't happen. The Diddy will always have better/more banana control than the opponent. That is what happens when you START with an item. You have the advantage by simply holding it, as the opponent is now forced to go by reaction/prediction, responses that ultimately are manipulated by Diddy Kong. While sometimes you will lose control of bananas, doing so for entire matches and such will only occur if you are bad with Diddy.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
I think at this point I'm the only one who truly understands how much new stuff there is for wario right now lol. Sowwy for not telling you about all of it yet phantom I'm trying to perfect it XD. But you are right theres a lot of stuff involving the bike and the OMGWTFBBQbroken tires. lool.

napZzz

Smash Hero
wario's better than diddy IMO.

And I think its possible to use diddy's nanners against him and not get punished. You just need to outsmart them, its not impossible

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I actually thought Wario would be top tier before Diddy. Wario really doesn't do bad at...anything.

white peachy

Smash Ace
Oos: Up b to charge it if they're going to throw it at their shield, up smash out of shield works well sometimes but its situational, bair, fair sometimes works, but diddy's banana game out of a shield is so good.....
True that man. Glide toss directly out of shield is so amazing it hurts. Or if they use a spotdodge after an auto-cancelled aerial, dribble back then glide toss back forward and punish. Too goodz.

I could be way off here but doesn't diddy just do better against tournament level characters (i.e. metaknight, snake, G&W, DDD, notMarth lol, etc...) than Wario? Both have limitations we all know that it just seems to me like Diddy would have a bit more upside tourney wise than Wario would regarding those matchups.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Diddy beats gnw, slightly loses to snake, beats DDD in some ways but can be argued (unlike wario lol), and does as bad against marth as wario does. I dunno about the wario vs falco matchup but for diddy it can be reduced to almost even if you know how to handle it.

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
Apparently if Wario "Air Camps" really hard, it's hard for DDD to win. At least that's what I've been hearing, I have yet to see it.

I think both characters will jump in the tier list. G&W is going to fall, his metagame isn't really developing. He is still a good character, but I think Diddy will overtake him.

I still think MK, Snake, DDD and Falco will be ranked higher though. Maybe Marth and/or Wario too, but I'm not sure.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Why are we talking about Wario so much?

Lets just see how things pan out. I really think Brawl can have a solid 5-6 character top tier. MK will always be just slightly above those below him, but I think the difference can be so small eventually it won't matter. Something like:
MK
Snake
Wario/Diddy/Falco/D3

After that Marth/Oli/GnW, but just barely.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Why are we talking about Wario so much?

Lets just see how things pan out. I really think Brawl can have a solid 5-6 character top tier. MK will always be just slightly above those below him, but I think the difference can be so small eventually it won't matter. Something like:
MK
Snake
Wario/Diddy/Falco/D3

After that Marth/Oli/GnW, but just barely.
Whats interesting is most Marth's might disagree with you. Many are starting to thinking Marth will fall to top mid and become a mid tier.

7ACE7

Smash Apprentice
Diddy Kong has a lot of potential and variety. As long as there are people like Ninjalink using him he will always be near the top.

Marth mid tier? But he has so many good matchups. And he has such good priority and range.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
I think it's more like he has a match-up set that people would kill for, but his worst match-ups are the commoners of the tournament scene and he isn't really exercising his stronger advantages nearly as often against someone like Pikachu, Kirby, etc.

At least, that's my own little theory. 60:40 can make fights tougher for Marth's opponents, but they're all perfectly winnable fights, and Marth has tons of those. Meanwhile, you have characters that just completely take out others, whereas Marth takes out characters who are already covered while still falling sometimes to the top tiers.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Diddy is basically all even (or slight advantage/disadvantages either way) match ups across the board though, probably more than most characters. Yes, Falcon won't beat Diddy, but characters like Zelda? Ugh. Heck, even Sonic isn't easy.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Diddy is basically all even (or slight advantage/disadvantages either way) match ups across the board though, probably more than most characters. Yes, Falcon won't beat Diddy, but characters like Zelda? Ugh. Heck, even Sonic isn't easy.
If Diddy truly is top tier, and ends up becoming super popular, us Lucarios will start having field days at tourneys. :D

Yeah! Go top 4! Make it easier for the Lucarios!

Top Bottom