• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Did Nintendo put in the chain throw on purpose?

PKNintendo

Smash Master
XD.

Next they'll do, Marth's ''supposed infinite'' on Ness.

But then next week they'll learn that you can escape it with EIDI, and cover's Marth grab release to downsmash instead! XD

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
Eh? That isn't official Nintendo anything; it's just some guy's channel.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Put up by Nintendo. So he's either the host or he was paid to produce it. And it's on the Nintendo channel.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
I think he choose the content that was in the video. I'm not sure...

What do you make of it?

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Honestly I don't think the developers even knew what chain grabbing was then they made the game. In fact I don't think they even developed every move in the game to have a real use.

SSD

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai is the best troll ever.

"Okay team, let's give King Daydayday an infinite on several characters, and a long chaingrab on a large amount of others."

EDIT:
also lol at sonic getting killed repeatedly. Nintendo asserting their dominance over Sega.

cman

Smash Ace
Honestly I don't think the developers even knew what chain grabbing was then they made the game. In fact I don't think they even developed every move in the game to have a real use.
That's a legitmate argument for the first game, but they had to have know about it by the time they started making brawl. At the very least they should have seen the obvious ones like DDD's chaingrabs

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Nintendo and Sakurai didn't purposely do anything. They know too little about Competitive fighting games to. This is just some guy, possibly paid by Nintendo, to make a video about stuff.

I don't care if it's on the Nintendo channel, this stuff was mostly probably not written by Nintendo, Sakurai or any of their Casual gamers. After all, why would they even use the term "Blockstun" or even compare Perfect Shield with "Parrying in other games" (do you really think Sakurai & co even know about this stuff?!)?!

Also, according to the uploader: "That guy decided, Nintendo didn't decide what would be in the video ;)"

They probably hired some guys to play around a bit and write the dialogue in this video.

Not to mention that the video lies. It's not a True Infinite at all (except for on DK) since you cannot start at 0%.

BTW, anyone notice how the tag on that player looks like it's supposed to spell "Sirlin"? o_O

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Sirlin did all of his own research for the video. He was told nothing from Nintendo. On his forum he made a topic asking for info about Smash.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Wait.

Why did Sirlin made tutorial videos on a game he isn't good at?

Qzzy

Smash Journeyman
Wait.

Why did Sirlin made tutorial videos on a game he isn't good at?
A lot of people put effort into games they're not good at. But as far as i can tell, he doesn't even have an interest in the game.

Maybe he go paid?

XienZo

Smash Lord
I believe Nintendo knew of chaingrabs, (although this vid is obviously Sirlin's,) since of the hundreds of things they removed from Melee because they were unexpected, they didn't remove IC's desync. That probably would take way less time than to program than a new air-dodge system. It was also pretty obvious to anyone that IC's CG came directly from the desync, and it was one of the more potent ones(infinite on everyone except themselves not potent?). However, in Brawl, IC's desync system is basically the same, and I was quite surprised there was still auto-desync on grabs. Chances are, Sakurai, (or whoever did the IC's) knew that they would cause tons of CG johns.

Then why doesn't the CPU do this?
Snake's don't C4 recover even though it was clearly stated by Sakurai( who probably synced Snake and the C4's fall speed just so this would happen).

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i don't think nintendo had a direct influence on this.

interesting video though.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
This is Sirlin's voice.

It's Sirlin.

Cool.

Nintendo probably knew about CG's. They aren't hard to figure out or anything.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Perhaps they knew about some CG's, but Nintendo didn't mean to give certain characters infinites over others. They wouldn't have done that on purpose. They don't like competition.

Oh, and why are these videos from yesterday? He's a little late in making a tutorial, dontcha think?

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
He's going about it like it's a more traditional fighter.
Things like DI need to be explained before you get into "combos".
I can tell that anyone who follows this, is learning backwards.
As much respect as I have for the guy, he seems a little inexperienced to be making a tutorial series on Smash.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
As much respect as I have for the guy, he seems a little inexperienced to be making a tutorial series on Smash.
It's Nintendo. When have they ever asked a "Smash Pro" to help them out? Also, better Sirlin than Random N00b #1734.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Sirlin did all of his own research for the video. He was told nothing from Nintendo. On his forum he made a topic asking for info about Smash.
I see. It was Sirlin!
Awe, I was about to mention that after I saw SIRLN as his game tag.

Chis, you should make a note of this on the first page, because at this rate, you'll have people look at the first thread, look at the video, then repeat the same crap over and over again because the explanation was in the middle of the thread, and it'll be just like the 'ITALY BANNED MK!?" thread all over again.

:pit: ピット (Pitto)
:shiek: シーク (Shiiku)
:peach: ピーチ (Piichi)
:lucas: ルカス (Rukasu)
:zerosuitsamus: ザマス (Zamasu)

... If you're going to romaji, at least do it right.
that was bothering me too :laugh:

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
:pit: ピット (Pitto)
:shiek: シーク (Shiiku)
:peach: ピーチ (Piichi)
:lucas: ルカス (Rukasu)
:zerosuitsamus: ザマス (Zamasu)

... If you're going to romaji, at least do it right.
Why thank you for correcting me. I didn't actually check the correct Romaji. One thing, though. Ryuka is the official Romaji for Lucas according to some guy who PM:ed me and some Mother Wikis. Don't ask me why. It just says Ryuka. Maybe his name is just randomly Ryuka in Japan (my sig originally read his name as Rukasu, then I received a PM about it and corrected it).

And I don't know where you're getting the Kana for the names from, but you're probably making them up a bit (since you didn't know about the Ryuka thing). For one thing, in Melee, the Japanese cheer for Sheik by calling her "Shiiki" and not "Shiiku".

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Fair enough.
I just edited in a little more info. Please re-read it and reply as you see fit. Also, sources for the correct Kana? Because if I'm gonna make a global edit to most of the Romaji in my sig, I want it to all be correct.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
He didn't mention the word combo even once, I don't think.

And DI is actually pretty advanced.

And no...anyone following this is learning correctly.

He explained basic moves first then the basics of controlling space then defensive options.

He is doing great.

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
I just double-checked with the Japanese wiki page. You were right about Lucas but I was right about the rest, except Zamus who is technically ゼロスーツサムス(Zero Suutsu Samasu). Given how it's pronounced, though, it would definitely be 'Zamasu' and not 'Zamusu.' Also, Toon Link is トゥーンリンク (Tuun Rinku).

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I just double-checked with the Japanese wiki page. You were right about Lucas but I was right about the rest, except Zamus who is technically ゼロスーツサムス(Zero Suutsu Samasu). Given how it's pronounced, though, it would definitely be 'Zamasu' and not 'Zamusu.' Also, Toon Link is トゥーンリンク (Tuun Rinku).
Thanks for the corrects then and I'll make them all sometime tonight.

The whole point of using Romaji in my sig is to insert a very convoluted punchline in Toon Link's name. If you can't see it, I suggest you Google the word "Shota".

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think Nintendo paid Sirlin to do this video series. Why? Because they are starting to realize that a lot of people are still buying the game and that this game will have a long life BECAUSE of the competitive aspect of it and who better to host a video series to people who aren't familar with competitive Smash then the guy that most competitive gamers recognize across the board from Street Fighter to Star Craft? Honestly, why else would they release this video series almost 9 months after the game was released? Got to keep the gravy train rolling for the next Smash installment, you know.

Top Bottom