• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Did anyone else choose their main for silly reasons?

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
I picked Zelda because she's an elegant character, I love magic, and I love all of her kicks. I also picked her because if I ever decide that I want to start going to tournaments, I will just practice Sheik to have a viable character in my hands.

justaway12

Smash Master
☻I chose Peach becuse people kept saying she was ditsy but I didn't mind it wasn't because I hated Peach (there was nothing to hate anyway) I just didn't mind until one day I realized that she was Marios girlfriend (I always knew that but I had never thougt about it much) then I realized Peach isn't ditsy Mario because could do MUCH better if she was ditsy so I thought you know what i'll play as Peach and beat up every single character (exept Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Link and Sonic), I wasn't planning on maining her I was planning on maining Mario but I sucked as him Luigi and Bowser and I was good at her. I initially thought of her being my secondry but she was too good so she was my main.☻

☻EDIT: Oh and it's also because she is a Mario character.☻

♠ ♣ ♠ ♣

Ugg

Smash Champion
I chose Diddy because I used to goof around with him in friendlies, then I actually watched some videos of some of the pros, and I thought "holy hell im maining this character"

I used Snake since the release of Brawl, mostly because I played and loved MGS games. I still use him to this day.

I'm taking on Peach lately. I use her purely because of her brawl fighting-style.

Nicole

Smash Champion
I chose Game and Watch because he is hilarious. I used to play around with him in Melee and just stand to the side chef-ing and taunting. I was trying to main Sonic for a few months, then I realized...Game and Watch, who I've always loved, is actually good?! So now I'm all GW, all the time.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
Well, I no longer main her, but back in SSB64, and in SSBM, I mained Samus because I liked Dragon Ball Z, and She reminds me of Frieza. Big Planet Exploding attacks, lots of little attacks, good in the air, powerful grabbing attacks, and the effect of being both girly and masculine (Samus's excuse is that she looks like a Robot, while Frieza's excuse is that he's gay :p) Samus seems to me just like Frieza!

But in Brawl, I met Sonic, Ike, Metaknight, and Pit, all who I liked because they are cool, and then I met Lucario, who absoultely kicks butt, and who's even cooler... but I still play with Samus, and I secondary ZeroSuitSamus (while gaining 50 bucks from all of my friends who thought Samus was a guy).

KO M

Smash Apprentice
Cant really say i have a main... well I guess Marth has been growing on me . In Super smash bros N64 I mained Kirby , in Melee I was a Fox user, xD shine spikes.. Now in brawl I guess you can say Marth.. but for silly reasons nope.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
I picked Zelda because she's an elegant character, I love magic, and I love all of her kicks. I also picked her because if I ever decide that I want to start going to tournaments, I will just practice Sheik to have a viable character in my hands.
Zelda IS a viable character now. I think she's quite good in Brawl. I'm starting to use her much more often now.

Well, anyway...

I picked Link because when I mained him in N64 Smash, it was because I thought he was the coolest character there. I mean...he had crazy attack range with that awesome sword, wicked looking attacks, that insane glowing blue boomerang, and a crazy mass area of effect spin attack. Honestly, I haven't ever completed a Zelda game in my life. I don't even OWN a Zelda game.

I still main him because I've gotten so used to him by now.

rehab

Smash Journeyman
I choose characters that make it my job to get inside and do big damage (or at least big pressure), but are good enough that I can overcome their (preferably few) bad matchups with experience. Experiencing pain and suffering while learning to stop sucking with them is optional.

SuperFudgeChoco

Smash Apprentice
Well when the game came out I played Samus as I mained her in Melee, but wow was I surprised by how much she had changed and I didn't like it. so I moved around til I found Lucas and was like "hmmmm this works". But as I messed around with other characters I found I was pretty good with DDK and Falco. When I got kicked out of college, I moved in with some friends and we all played Brawl. Well turns out one of my roomies also main Lucas, and I being a kind of player who HATES having copies of characters in the same game if it can be prevented. So I hunt for a new main, and about 3 months later I decided to settle with DDK with Falco as a second. Reason it took so long was cause while I realized I was good with them, I didn't think they could be main material. But I was very wrong. Anywhoo that's how I got my mains.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I chose Marth because he was the first one I cleared Melee's adventure mode with :laugh:.
However, I tried to main Pikachu in Melee and PT in Brawl due to me being a fan of the old Pokemon games, and Ivysaur being my 3rd favourite Pokemon.

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
despite Link pretty much sucking in all three games (not AS much in melee but still low tier) I stuck with him because i actually was good with him and because the LoZ series is too good.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Because Lucario has Aura. It was on the Dojo. I decided to main him, since Roy was gone, and I don't feel like playing as Kirby as much anymore. I think that Lucario's the reason I want Platinum...?

Yoshara

Smash Lord
I originally chose Ike 'cause I think massive sword users are awesome, but after a while I started playing Wolf instead 'cause he is just so badass, and he uses claws which are probably my second favorite weapon style next to giant swords.

Ange

Smash Lord
My original reason to pick Marth was because he looked good.

Yes, that is silly. <_<

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Well, Pichu is just so darn cute. Nah, but really...I main Peach because she is a fun character. And I don't exactly main Jiggly, but she's just up there with Pichu on the cuteness level. Right?

Vanst

Smash Apprentice
I've mained Falco since Melee and not because of a silly reason, but in Brawl I love maining him because he says "Hands off my Bread!" :p

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
tl ; dr version of why I main Toon Link:
I hated Young Link in Melee.

Smudge

Smash Lord
I choose D3 when I saw his update, my Girlfriend at the time said "Aww, he's was cute." I just remember going "Cute, he's amazing. Check the hammer!"

Since then, I've always played D3 (Despite me and my girlfriend splitting)

Scott!

Smash Lord
I came upon Marth by accident in Melee. I never really had a main in the original, though Fox, Samus, and Link were the closest. In Melee, I liked Link, and so when I saw another swordsman, I used him too. No idea who he was, but he was fun. When Roy showed up, I used him too, but I had more success with Marth. He and Link were two of my most-used, along with Zelda. I'm a Zelda-phile (the games), so I felt compelled to use the characters. Zelda clicked for me, since I became decently beastly at landing lightning kicks.

In Brawl, Link was painful to recover with, and my old staple, the spin attack, was less than useless. So Marth and Zelda are now my 1 and 2, purely by luck and just falling into them, rather than me ever actually choosing.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
I didn't see any Captain Falcons mains!

Even though he's bottom tier now, I played him in Melee and got really good with him. I stuck with him in Brawl because of how awesome he is! Eventhough he has been nerfed so much...

I've gotten really good with him and I can beat a lot of players with him now.

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
I choose Snake because I thought nobody else would be good with him... He seemed like one of those guys who would be good once you learn him, so I figured I would put in the time. Then I realized everyone uses Snake...

Spacecadet

Smash Cadet
I picked marth and wolf because marth is sexy sexy sexy, and Wolves are the definition of badassery.

And luigi. I don't know why, but there is very little more amazing than a pink luigi.

Commander Blizzard

Smash Apprentice
I chose Meta-knight only because he's awesome, but whether or not that can be considered 'silly' is beyond me, but I guess...

Most of my other mains were mained for rather silly reasons, as well..

ColinJF

Smash Ace
I chose my main straight from the top of the tier list.

Whenever I play a new fighting game, I first consult a tier list to decide what character to play.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
despite Link pretty much sucking in all three games (not AS much in melee but still low tier) I stuck with him because i actually was good with him and because the LoZ series is too good.
Likewise.

Also, when I saw Toon Link's "Retro" colors, I said I would play him. And I do.

Top Bottom