• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dial-A-Combo

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Just a little bitter about things, so whatever. For those of you claiming Brawl has no guaranteed combos, you're not trying the same thing, over and over, hard enough.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CPcXrYv1p-Y

Clips gathered from a bunch of random Brawl vids I found on Youtube and stuff.

DavidNguyen

Smash Rookie
Love the video, looking forward to your next one to prove all these brawl haters wrong.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Holy crap, I wasn't expecting to see myself in this XD.

Good stuff.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Love the video, looking forward to your next one to prove all these brawl haters wrong.
Actually, this is more to prove some people supporting Brawl wrong. It was said by people against Brawl there aren't ways to combo, which isn't true because you can, just spam a move over and over, lol. But somehow the Brawl people took this as "that means you have to think more!" which is also wrong. I don't have to think hard to hold forward and press A over and over.

In short, I'm sick and tired of people calling Melee a Dial-a-Combo game when such a description is MUCH more applicable to Brawl.

But entertainment is entertainment.

Dhaka

Smash Cadet
I see a few things wrong with the video in general. First, all the video really had to offer was IC and DDD chain grabbing. The shots with Luigi were terrible, because clearly the Luigi doesnt know how to use his down-B (plenty of reasons why to use that there, don't feel like explaining them). The shiek tilt combo...well yea its shiek...what did you expect? So take out the chain grab vids and the terrible Luigi player and all you have is the shiek tilt combo.

As far as the whole "Dial-a-combo" discussion goes, if chain grabbing is your only proof (talking to the guy who made the video) of "Dial-a-Combo" in brawl, then you have a weak case. I personally am not taking sides in this whole debate, because I <3 both games, but if someone wants to bash a game, bring better proof.

Edit: I'm a Luigi player and I have easily gotten out of DDD chain grabs and that olimar corner combo before by simply using the down-b attack as a defence... its not that difficult

Sanu

Smash Champion
Melee was dial-a-combo. Hit once and everything hits, and nothing your victim can do will change that

Have you ever heard of DI?...

Blatherskite

Smash Apprentice
I don't consider chain grabbing to be a combo, and I don't think many claim that there are no guaranteed combos, just that there are barely any at all.

Neb

Smash Lord
Good video, but egh...I dunno about the music selection. Aside from that, nice job, ._.v.

ryanmercland

Smash Apprentice
yea this vid sux, period. chain-grab is the most boring thing u can do and is even more boring to watch.
we see these kinds of vids way too much, and a lot of people dont consider chain-grabs to be combos.
u think people dont like brawl now eh? nice try.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I don't care if you like or don't like Brawl. There are way more chaingrabs for way more characters than there are for Melee. There are a lot more single moves that you can spam over an over for a combo. Calling Melee "automatic" compared to Brawl just seems wrong in that respect.

Also, the ICs chaingrabs are the most entertaining things I've ever seen in Brawl.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
yea this vid sux, period. chain-grab is the most boring thing u can do and is even more boring to watch.
we see these kinds of vids way too much, and a lot of people dont consider chain-grabs to be combos.
u think people dont like brawl now eh? nice try.
I smell a scrub.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Brawl fans like Brawl because it gets back to certain basics. You have proven your point, in fact I will even consent that melee is a far better competitive game.

I just like Brawl better because its in most aspects a better game with more characters, soundtracks, stages, better graphics, and simpler controls, minus a metagame based greatly on glitches in the software.

Never been a fan of chaingrabbing though, unless I'm Pika and your a space animal.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
^The Halloween Captain: Please don't say Melee's metagame was based greatly on glitches. Wavedashing and L-canceling aren't glitches. Brawl's not that distant from Melee when it comes to metagame enhancing glitches...

I respect the rest of your statement though.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
I agree with Meta. A glitch would something like Link's Super Jump. L-canceling, fast falling, and wavedashing were all programmed in.

But, I do agree that I like Brawl's character diversity. Even if they did nerf my Melee mains into the two worst characters (Ganon and Falcon).

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
There's still hope for Ganon. Read the Weekly Character Discussion Thread about him.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
EDIT: You edited your post so now mine doesn't actually make sense. Poor kid, I spent a whole 3 seconds thinking up this reply and I guess you just didn't like it enough to take it.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Thanks for the confirmation? Do you have any idea how many people I try to convince every day that I'm not good? : P

Next time I'll just quote you, maybe they'll listen to you more 'cause you joined a year before me.

ryanmercland

Smash Apprentice
whatever dude doesnt change the fact that this vid still sux.

u should quote that too

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
wow, ice climbers own... that chaingrab combo to death on pika was amazing.. very nice, gona try to get the hang of that

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Ankoku come play Melee with me. I'm sick of Brawl people bring my IQ down Halloween and that other guy being a prime example.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
KevinM I'll play Melee with you. I'm free on the weekends, and I'm planning on getting together with Zoso soon. Not to mention all three of us are in RI... Anyone else you know in RI that could join us?

Edit: Also, mind if I add you on AIM?

ES Lite

The Real Slim Shady
nice video, i was expecting combos that compare to melee, but that wont come for some time now, i guess right now, chain grabs is the way to go to dial-a-combo.

Bevo

Smash Apprentice
... The more research and time we put into Brawl the better it gets, and the more "we" (some of us) like it compared to Melee. It's like magic or something..

Jun.

Smash Lord
can someone please politely enlighten me on what is impressive about this vid or what this vid proves? It just seems like a spamfest

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
can someone please politely enlighten me on what is impressive about this vid or what this vid proves? It just seems like a spamfest
Some people are under the impression that Melee is "Dial-A-Combo", where you'd just pull combos out for 0% to death kills. With a few exceptions (ICs wobbling), this is not true at all. While there are few combos in Brawl that are more than 2-3 hits, there are some ridiculously cheap "combos" in Brawl. The point of this vid is to highlight that.

Amide

Smash Lord
While I disagree with the message, you got it across. Good job. At the same time, it would have a more valid message if the IC did good in tournaments.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
The point is, brawl has more "dial A" combos than melee ever had. People really need to stop saying melee has all these "inescapable combos," when brawl actually has more of them.

SilintNinjya

Smash Apprentice
personally, i like the fact that brawl doesnt have the combos connected so easily like they are in melee. no, brawl isnt perfect. but i do think its starting to get more interesting.

Corigames

Smash Hero
It's funny how many people aren't getting the point of this video. Good work Ankoku.
Quite so.

I've given up on humanity in it's infinite stupidity.

Anyway, the video was ok. Some low quality places and some of that stuff looked escapable, but the point, for those with an IQ over their controller port number, came across.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
personally, i like the fact that brawl doesnt have the combos connected so easily like they are in melee. no, brawl isnt perfect. but i do think its starting to get more interesting.
>_> You didn't watch the video, did you?
-DD

Top Bottom