• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Pretty much contribute successfully to the Poke Center Forums/learn and compete in tournaments and the metagame, and take part in the discussions around the PC.

Also, I grant it to people who are able to beat me in a Pokemon battle.
This makes it sound like any active competitive pokemon player on SWF who actively talks about competitive pokemon in the PC should have Pokemon Master status. Is that really the standard?

Ima movie guy, I love pretty much all non mmo, fps, or sports video games
Ronike your Bronike is showing

****ing *brofist* at this

@ Adum: Aight, I'll hit you up with my info the minute I can connect to Bnet long enough to get it. Don't count on being able to play with me at all though until December. Time difference here + ****ty proxy I'm on ****s that **** up hardcore.

M.K

Level 55
his makes it sound like any active competitive pokemon player on SWF who actively talks about competitive pokemon in the PC should have Pokemon Master status. Is that really the standard
Yeah, because like 99% of the time, those people will beat anybody else on this website at Pokemon. Hence, they are the masters of what they do. Hence, pokemon masters.
HENCE, if you want to be one, you've got to beat me or another leader.

Ronike

Smash Ace
Do you go all hardcore? I'm not talkin ev training, I mean breeding for ivs. And what level you play at? Ou's the one below legendary, right?

M.K

Level 55
Do you go all hardcore? I'm not talkin ev training, I mean breeding for ivs. And what level you play at? Ou's the one below legendary, right?
We don't actually do much in-game training. There are several online battle simulators that we can use that are much more efficient than anything else. Those that do train in-game, however, DO breed for IVs and EV train to the max.

There are five categories for Pokemon Tiers:

Uber: Just like it says, these Pokemon are too strong for standard play and are composed mostly of legendary Pokemon. You'll find the likes of Lugia, Ho-Oh, Dialga, Palkia, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, etc. here

Overused (OU): These Pokemon are the most widely used Pokemon in the entire game. They are considered to be the best of standard play and, likewise, the main battling Pokemon of any normal game. Pokemon like Starmie, Jirachi, Heatran, Scizor, Aerodactyl, Vaporeon, and Blissey are here.

Borderline (BL): These Pokemon are sort of used in the OU environment, but not really to any effectiveness. However, they are deemed too powerful for the UU environment below them, so they are "Borderline" OU/UU. Pokemon like Abomasnow, Porygon-Z, Gallade, and Honchkrow are here. These pokemon, sadly, see very very little usage.

Underused (UU): These Pokemon all have competitive viability, but are less able to take advantage of their perks than any other Pokemon in OU, maybe because of stats, movepool, or abilities. This is the MOST expansive tier, it is hugely diverse and considered to be less serious than OU, as the threat is not danger, but unpredictability. Pokemon like Hypno, Azumarill, Arcanine, Aggron, and Alakazam are here.

NeverUsed (NU): These Pokemon are, like it says, never used. They can be substituted into the UU game, but even there, they really pale in comparison. This is teh lowest competitive level of Pokemon. Pokemon like Dunsparce, Butterfree, Ledian, Hitmonchan, and Politoed are here.

I myself play Underused because I enjoy the diversity of the game.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hmmm interesting. Didn't really figure the rationale was to use the rest of the SWF community as the standard for comparison when determining mastery, considering most of SWF probably doesn't even know the first thing about competitive pokemoon.

Used to play a lot of competitive netbattle back in R/S/E. Haven't touched it for years though. No doubt the metagame these days is just as good if not better than it was. Maybe playing B/W will reignite my interest. *shrug*

Is there seriously any reason other than being a total *** who thinks spending more time doing something means you deserve advantages/makes you a better player, for playing competitive pokemon without a battle simulator that just gives you free ideal IVs + choices for EV allocation? Like seriously all that in game breeding bull**** is just a giant timesink for people who pride themselves on how big their mindless grinding epeen is.

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ima movie guy, I love pretty much all non mmo, fps, or sports video games (so I'm kinda screwed now...), and I love traveling.

Unfortunately, I have no money, so my free time tends to be used working or replaying old gAmes. I do occasionally program utilities for fun, and I've partially coded a vote tallier a few times. If I ever get it finished and debugged, I'll be sure to put it up here.

I used to do tennis and tae Kwon do before time and flexibility on the latter prevented me from continuing.

And yeah, that's me in a nutshell
Aw dude, a movie guy! What do mean by that? like you see everything comes out in theaters, or you go out of your way to find obscure movies (movie snob!)

M.K

Level 55
Hmmm interesting. Didn't really figure the rationale was to use the rest of the SWF community as the standard for comparison when determining mastery, considering most of SWF probably doesn't even know the first thing about competitive pokemoon.

Used to play a lot of competitive netbattle back in R/S/E. Haven't touched it for years though. No doubt the metagame these days is just as good if not better than it was. Maybe playing B/W will reignite my interest. *shrug*

Is there seriously any reason other than being a total *** who thinks spending more time doing something means you deserve advantages/makes you a better player, for playing competitive pokemon without a battle simulator that just gives you free ideal IVs + choices for EV allocation? Like seriously all that in game breeding bull**** is just a giant timesink for people who pride themselves on how big their mindless grinding epeen is.
Well, it's more or less just contribution to the discussion, as well as being pretty good at Pokemon battling. You definitely don't have to be a fantastic battler, but you need to make an impact in our own separate community.

You'll be mind****ed if you tried to come back into the metagame thinking of R/S/E. The metagame is....wow, so different now. Things like Snorlax aren't even good anymore....it's really crazy. If you want more information, Smogon is a good website...I mean, you probably know that and all, but the metagame isn't as easy to jump into anymore. It's fairly complicated, but also very fun.

And no, there really is no reason to do that. However, the Pokemon Community frowns upon PokeSav'ers, which are people who use devices on the internet to "create" a Pokemon with perfect IVs, perfect EVs, and moves of their choice to be used in Wi-Fi battling.

The standard is basically this: If you're on an online simulator, feel free to do whatever the hell you want because everyone is running perfect IVs/perfect EVs/any kind of moveset.

However, if you play in game, you better be **** sure you specify whether or not your Pokemon are Sav'd, because the "in-game" community really frowns upon that. It's the difference between breeding for 5 weeks to get that one perfect Totodile and clicking the "31 IV all" button on PokeSav.

And no, nobody really uses it as an epeen measure. In the Pokemon community, everyone is pretty much happy for you if you can breed the right Pokemon for the job, because they know how it easy it is to just "make" it, if they wanted to. It's not like "Ohhh, you got THAT Totodile? PSSHH, I HAVE A BETTER ONE". Well, no, it's more like "Wow good job that's pretty close to perfect!"

EDIT:

You know, a ton of people have asked me to like...show them around the metagame. If you're ever wanting to get back into it ( I know JF has asked me, and he's definitely learning alot! *thumbs up*) then contact me whenever you want.

We've actually got the Generation V Pokemon on the PC Server, so it's a great introduction to a FRESH START metagame!! ^__^

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
@adumb: I'll actually look around for some sort of martial art club at my school. If not ill check the filipino club lol

@mk: all i gotta do is beat a leader? mad easyy, im pretty sure i've beaten niiro a few times. and i beat someone in the tournament i'm in right now at the pokecenter. still in winners, gotta play kirbyraeg today (im gonna get messed up up XD)

but yea, i got that riddle practice

M.K

Level 55
I'm definitely going to host another Mono-type tournament for the 5th Generation.

It's going to be so kickass and I expect all of you "I would go into the PC but I don't want to be frowned upon by everything forever" mother****ers to be PRESENT and accounted for.

Last time we had a Mono-type tournament, I was Pure Rock. Lemme tell you that was fun.

Ronike

Smash Ace
Aw dude, a movie guy! What do mean by that? like you see everything comes out in theaters, or you go out of your way to find obscure movies (movie snob!)
Well if I could I would see everything I thought was interesting in theatres, but as I mentioned, no money.

I do like some obscure movies though [Equilibrium and Memento come to mind], but I tend to just find them on TVTropes and otherwise through word of mouth. Not snobby at all about it...

And MK, I think maybe I'd like a tour through meta game, I play poke seriously enough that I might think its fun...

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
I love the hardcore Pokemon game. Its what makes Pokemon so rewarding ^_^.

I play more in the OU level though. It's mad fun. Everyone should give it a go.

Niiro

Smash Ace
@mk: all i gotta do is beat a leader? mad easyy, im pretty sure i've beaten niiro a few times. and i beat someone in the tournament i'm in right now at the pokecenter. still in winners, gotta play kirbyraeg today (im gonna get messed up up XD)
I smell some bull****

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
@ MK: Yeah I definitely didn't expect to just walk back into pokemon and be like HEY GAIZ WHATS UP IN THIS THREAD and just be able to compete with top players again lol. If I did get back into it I'd probably start doing my research over the winter break, but here in the land of the rising sun I don't quite have the time to devote to that start up commitment.

Yet another reason why KevBro is awesome; he's a cool guy and doesn't afraid of continuously getting scum when he signs up for games. If I got scum that many times in a row I'd probably have to take a serious break from the game for awhile lmao.

@ Ryker: Alright dude come clean, who's your rat? =P

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Double post for lazy:

My friend informs me that there was a sequel to the Pokemon TCG for GBC that was Japan only. It was an advance game and may or may not have a trans patch (;|). The original was the ****. Should I track it down?

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
That's so ballin! Mine too. Well, mine's at 200 messages instead of 70.

That's great, cause I was at 69, and I get lazy and i didn't feel like deleting any

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Yeah, I got an upgrade to 200 as well, which is totally awesome. :)

Also, when is Escape 2 going to start?

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Welcome, Tom.
You last visited: Today at 01:45 AM
Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 3172.

i think my inbox can hold 10,000 or something

though i still routinely delete them all

Top Bottom