• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
so whats all this talk about hydras and stuff in the join game thread? it scares me and i dont want to /in until i know

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
*omg head explodes @ hando cameo*

A hydra is when two individuals make an alternate account and use it to play together as the same player in a game. So basically, the hydra account gets the role, and then the two players with access to that account share the role and play the game together as if they were one player.

It has its own unique perks to it but its just a different way to play the game really. Comes down to personal preference really.

If you'd really like to learn how to play the game but don't feel comfortable going it alone, finding an experienced buddy to hydra with can be a good idea so that you have like a coach-esque type partner to work with while playing the game.

Absolutely nothing wrong with just giving it a shot lone wolf style though. You'll learn a hell of a lot either way and will probably have fun either way too if you actually commit to your games.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
well, i know how to play. we play mafia at school when no one brings consoles to games club.

is there any difference in the game to playing it IRL?

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
As far as the game's core mechanics go, no.

If the way you play mafia IRL matches the rules that were described in that flash tutorial I sent you, then no, mafia is not played differently here than you play it IRL.

Every game of mafia though is unique, which is what makes it so fun. You'll encounter different roles with different powers in virtually every game you join. The number of town/mafia/independents will vary from game to game. Some games will have extra added mechanics on top of the basic mafia rules to spice things up a bit. But at the core, every game is the same, and that core is what I described to you earlier and then hopefully is what the flash tutorial mirrored.

Obvious mechanical differences from IRL mafia to forum mafia are the fact that all night abilities and kills are handled via PM directly with the game moderator. In IRL mafia you obviously have to have an honor system with the "everyone sleep, mafia wake up" type system of doing night actions. Also, voting is slightly different because votes have more permanence. Typically, in IRL mafia, you aren't voting for anyone unless you raise your hand an declare "Voting for X" (at least thats what I typically encounter) and you are no longer voting for someone once your hand goes down. In forum mafia, if you type Vote: Whoever you are voting that person at all times until you explicitly type Unvote: Whoever. This difference is important because it allows for things like alpha striking by the mafia in lylo situations. Simply put, your vote is more important and requires more caution because it sticks even when you aren't around.

Other differences are that you can't communicate with anyone privately that is in the game, about the game, unless you are specifically told you can do so. Sometimes this is different in IRL mafia where you can often just go up to someone and whisper with them about whatever. Doesn't happen in forum mafia. Everything you say can only be in the public thread for everyone to see, unless you are mafia (in which case you can privately chat with your partners) or a town mason (town role that lets you privately chat with someone else) or something similar.

Well, those are the only really big core mechanics shifts I can think of atm. If you really want to know exactly how the game is played here, just pick an on-going or recently finished game and read through the thread. There really isn't any better way to find out exactly who the game works than to just see the real thing yourself.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
ah, what a novel idea. im gonna just try to jump /in to a game, and check other threads to clear things up as i go.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Lesse here, since I missed out.

I run track, played tennis, played baseball until highschool which I quot from being burnt out. Ive been asked every year to play though, haha. I can Shuffle and do jumpstyle. I enjoy playing my music loudly from my car so all can hear. Im the guy with the two 15s in his back blasting dubstep. I make grandmas stare. I cliff dive, play lots of competitive FPSs. I no longer play smash at all, and own no system to smash on. I work a **** ton on top of school.

Im going to college for CS, Buzz made me change to it after he piqued my interest by mentioning it.

Uhhhhhhhh...

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
how do you shuffle? are you good like the guys on youtube and stuff? i want to learn how

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I hate playing scum.

I'm good at playing scum, but I hate playing scum. Not going to meta myself on the matter though.

EDIT: Everytime I see Tom's avatar, I want to go play more LoL. I need sleep, dammit.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
yea im just a riot

I hate playing scum.

I'm good at playing scum, but I hate playing scum. Not going to meta myself on the matter though.

EDIT: Everytime I see Tom's avatar, I want to go play more LoL. I need sleep, dammit.
ryker whats your summoner name duder

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
GSRyker

And that Riot pun made me groan.

Play with you next time I see you on, but I've gotta hit the sack. Dentist appointment tomorrow then work.

M.K

Level 55
God.....I'm crying right now listening to "Heaven: Candlelight Mix" by DJ Sammy.
I get these thoughts in my head, of the day when my parents are going to die, the day I die, the horrible things that could possibly happen, and I just can't keep them out of my head. I'm so blessed to have wonderful parents, and it's absolutely horrible to think that someday I won't have somebody to call, someone to hug, someone to be there for me when nobody else is. I....can't get the thought out of my head. Whenever I see my parents nowadays, I've just become overwhelmed with these thoughts that one day, I'll never be able to talk to them again. Maybe it's because I'm going off to college in a year, and they'll be all alone in their house once again, but it's just...oh god ;_;.

='( I'm like...shaking....does anyone else think like this? I'm so sorry for being a buzzkill but I just...I need to get it out of my head. >_< I can't....think of anything else.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I've used that one, Tom.

As for the buzzkill, enjoy it while you've got it. Don't drop out of contact just because you're going to college. You're tech savvy enough to get on SWF, then you're tech savvy enough to set up a webcam so you can still talk to mom and dad. It'll happen, but what are you talking about, "horrible things"?

M.K

Level 55
Just, you know, those inevitable things that people tell you to block out because they happen. The loss of a loved one, problems in life, terminal diseases, right now, I just feel like I couldn't handle any of it.
I'm never going to go out of touch with my parents. I love them so much, and it's where all of this sadness and despair stems from. Don't get me wrong, I'm not depressed or anything, but just the thought alone entirely scares me.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
: / I don't know what to tell you without getting into religious affairs that people on the Internet seldom want to listen to. Faith is what keeps me from being afraid of these affairs. Funerals are for the living. Yes, it'll be a terrible thing, but no, I won't let dread about it bother me now.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
"Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant never taste of death but once.
Of all the wonders that I yet have heard, it seems to me most strange that men should fear;
Seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come."

Julius Caesar (Act II, Scene II).

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
I dont mean to be curt, so I will elaborate... MK we all have those thoughts. Despite what they sometimes put me through, I love all of my parents, and I cannot currently imagine my world without them. However, I don't have to experience that grief. When I lost my first friend through death, I went through all of that pain and realized that I neither want nor have to experience that unless it is real. I spend a lot of time daydreaming in my own head, imagining situations that never happen, playing through conversations that never come to pass, and creating scenarios for myself so that I can imagine what it would feel like or how I would think or respond, but its absolutely unnecessary and totally nerve-wracking to do that when it involves the death of a loved one. The fact of the matter is that it will be hard, and you will move on, but you don't even need to think about that right now. Right now, in reality, you have all of these things that you cherish enough to worry about losing, so instead of worrying, cherish them. Worrying about it will only make you go through it more than once. Treat the people you love with care and respect and enjoy their company for the sake of their company. Stay in touch with your parents. Moving to college is an ambitious step towards your future independence and it is only normal to feel these things. You aren't the only one.

M.K

Level 55
: / I don't know what to tell you without getting into religious affairs that people on the Internet seldom want to listen to. Faith is what keeps me from being afraid of these affairs. Funerals are for the living. Yes, it'll be a terrible thing, but no, I won't let dread about it bother me now.
"Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant never taste of death but once.
Of all the wonders that I yet have heard, it seems to me most strange that men should fear;
Seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come."

Julius Caesar (Act II, Scene II).
I dont mean to be curt, so I will elaborate... MK we all have those thoughts. Despite what they sometimes put me through, I love all of my parents, and I cannot currently imagine my world without them. However, I don't have to experience that grief. When I lost my first friend through death, I went through all of that pain and realized that I neither want nor have to experience that unless it is real. I spend a lot of time daydreaming in my own head, imagining situations that never happen, playing through conversations that never come to pass, and creating scenarios for myself so that I can imagine what it would feel like or how I would think or respond, but its absolutely unnecessary and totally nerve-wracking to do that when it involves the death of a loved one. The fact of the matter is that it will be hard, and you will move on, but you don't even need to think about that right now. Right now, in reality, you have all of these things that you cherish enough to worry about losing, so instead of worrying, cherish them. Worrying about it will only make you go through it more than once. Treat the people you love with care and respect and enjoy their company for the sake of their company. Stay in touch with your parents. Moving to college is an ambitious step towards your future independence and it is only normal to feel these things. You aren't the only one.
You guys are seriously awesome, and yes, I need to live in the moment and cherish what I've got. There is no use worrying about something that is so far off. When it happens, it happens, and I can just deal with it then. i'm tormenting myself for absolutely no purpose.

Sometimes I just need others to tell me what I already know, deep down, but don't have the confidence or the ability to access it. I need to hear that everyone experiences this. Sure, it's kinda selfish that I require this, but it helps.

Alot.

I love you guys alot. It's so much easier to talk to people here about these kind of things. I think tonight is really a pivotal turning point in my thoughts.

ronEEke

Ronike|Evil Eye
I'm a bit more distanced in regards to my family but I can certainly understand where you're coming from. Recent health complications with one of my parents kind of shook things into focus for me, made me confront the reality that your loved ones are mortal, and the universe won't make special exceptions just because you love 'em. Made me confront it in a kind of direct way I never have before, I mean.

But they beat it. They beat it with the power of modern science and healthcare, and the odds were on their side. Who really dies in their early fifties from a naturally occurring process, in this day and age? That's what I told myself, and it proved correct.

Really, as detached as it seems, it's worth looking at the fact that, well, statistics are on your side. If your parents are fairly healthy, the odds of them catching a serious illness are low, and even lower that the illness would be untreatable. About as low as a freak accident -- which is pretty **** low.

I'm kind of rambling, but my point is just that there's a whole world out there, and though these things DO happen, and they can happen to anyone, the odds are pretty **** good that it won't happen to you. They are so slanted against that possibility, in fact, that you owe it to yourself not to dwell on it. You can't prepare yourself for this kind of shock, so why pregame on all the anguish it would cause?

Just tell yourself that the chances of something terrible happening are very, very slim, and that you love your parents, and that things will be fine. And if they aren't fine, you'll get through it, because that's what people do.

As for "down the road"... you're what, 17, 18? You are a puppy dog. I lost my grandfather a few months ago. He was ninety-one years old. He was ready and willing to go, because he cherished the fact that he lived as an independent, self-made man right to the end of his life. My family recognized this fact, and it made it surprisingly easy to deal with it. Death is always a somber occasion, but it isn't always a tragedy -- sometimes it is peaceful. Usually.

The odds favor it.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Kevin, it sounds like you and Hando should be friends. You would win as scum together. It would be the ultimate scum team.
Not if I'm indy *smirk*

Being mafia is only fun with the right scummates, something you can never rely on.

:059:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Not if I'm indy *smirk*

Being mafia is only fun with the right scummates, something you can never rely on.

:059:
I kill bad scummates by bussing them. So consistently I think if I ever kill a scum on D1 from now on I'll be lynched the next day XD

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
btw does anyone remember

how mango always

used to type

just mashing the enter

key seemingly at random

ahhh rapppeeeee

^_____________________^

Ronike

Smash Ace
My laptop seems to have bitten the dust... Feelin more than slightly depressed now... I'll try to finish my games, but expect my activity to pretty much hit rock bottom...

Ugh, I really hope I can get this fixed...

M.K

Level 55
Bahahahahahahahaha.

That picture almost makes up for the fact that Tom ditched me for pizza halfway through our conversation.

Fat ***.

Top Bottom