• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DFW Brawl Thread: Batou Monthly, Feb 18th - Revolution 10, Mar 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
FF13 makes me angry. I'm like 9 hours in to it and there's still no free roaming and the leveling system purposefully stunts my character growth. I'm finishing it just to finish it at this point >.<"

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Brett: on the lookout for the deadly snow penises.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
FF13 makes me angry. I'm like 9 hours in to it and there's still no free roaming and the leveling system purposefully stunts my character growth. I'm finishing it just to finish it at this point >.<"
I gave up on Final Fantasy after playing FFX-2. I don't know.. FFX was a masterpiece and FFX-2 pretty much took everything I loved about that game and made a parody of it. It also seemed to make a parody out of the series in general. I really disliked what they did to Yuna, she was my favorite character and I loved how down to earth she was and they turned her into a joke.

This snow is crazy my HR certification class even got canceled. Lol i wanted to go to gamestop for the event Suicune too but i heard roads are dangerous now.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
heard its going down to 8 degrees tonight, the coldest its been in dallas in 15 years wow.

ICE27

Smash Apprentice
NNID
michael0275
Who knows the name of the guy that was wearing the tuex at phasE? I want the info he has on his SD card.

NeoBatou

Smash Ace
FF13 is pretty much a letdown.
Sure the graphics and story is kinda nice, but your being held by the hand during most of the experience.

At least in FF12, you had to really grind during the game, learn how to really do some of the tricks of the trade and the game wasn't too bad in the story department. The only reason people complain about the game is cus the battle system is "different".

I guess it's the same people who couldn't get used to playing Final Fantasy Tactics, which is a badmotherf**** game in it's own right.

Person 1: What is FFT?
Person 2: It's more math based if anything.
Person 1: Let's go back and get my refund lol

Math scares people x.x

*Tyson*

Smash Ace
Sigh.......more FF13 bash. That game was amazing. People look WAY to far into the whole linear thing. All Final Fantasys are linear in there own way. Sure this one more than others, but just because it doesn't have a world map doesn't really make it all that much different. Enjoy FF13 for what it is and don't compare it to the other titles. Is it different? Yes, very. But that's not a bad thing.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
Sigh.......more FF13 bash. That game was amazing. People look WAY to far into the whole linear thing. All Final Fantasys are linear in there own way. Sure this one more than others, but just because it doesn't have a world map doesn't really make it all that much different. Enjoy FF13 for what it is and don't compare it to the other titles. Is it different? Yes, very. But that's not a bad thing.
It reminds me of 10, but at least in 10 I could grind some levels and get ahead of the curve. My biggest beef with this one so far as that the game deliberately stops me from advancing any further than it wants me to.

Kind of like Crono Cross now that I think about it...

*Tyson*

Smash Ace
It reminds me of 10, but at least in 10 I could grind some levels and get ahead of the curve. My biggest beef with this one so far as that the game deliberately stops me from advancing any further than it wants me to.

Kind of like Crono Cross now that I think about it...
Grinding is lame anyways. All that does is make you way to strong when you get to bosses, thus making it really easy. Just give it a chance, you will have your time to "grind" all you want. It just may come later than you would like.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Anyone else not liking the power outages and no internet :(
Me! I was freaking out this morning when the power first went out. All my heating options are electricity based. I was sleeping with like a foot and a half thick layer of blankets when I went back to sleep.

ruin`

Smash Journeyman
fuck those people
u mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgHHEwFvIdE&feature=feedrec_rec-exp_stronger_r2-2r-29-HM_more

^^ MvC3 vid blew my mind. Key things to look at. Otg into super from a launch>magic series>tag in teamate>super.
Also, arthur combo that works lol.

Basically, that means you can transition from any battery champ into your meter burner from any successful combo. Which is huge imo, gives "campy" champs an incentive to be aggressive. Since if you do land the tag in, you refresh your team lineup and can change your roster around without having to DHC into a safe hyper combo super.
I imagine battery/Phoenix/Anti air teams can abuse this alot. Example would be felicia/Phoenix/Morrigan. Pretty COOL!

edit: tl;dr : offers more team comp viability

double edit: (4 billy) Tag in, not guaranteed ;P

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
Grinding is lame anyways. All that does is make you way to strong when you get to bosses, thus making it really easy. Just give it a chance, you will have your time to "grind" all you want. It just may come later than you would like.
I always like to get a little bit ahead of the curve early on so that the rest of the game is easy enough that I can enjoy it. I don't enjoy the act of grinding per se, but I definitely enjoy the benefits a little bit of early grinding provides.

Earthbound is actually a -really- good example of a game I like to get just a bit ahead on. Have you ever gotten Ness in to the 20s before leaving Onett? It's easy to do after you kill Titanic Ant, you can 'grind' free kills on the little ants and slugs that now run away from you so you get easy surprise attacks on them, plus you have access to a free repeating psi butterfly. It makes Twoson and Threed sooooooooo much easier. You can actually do the same thing again later on all of the Foppy in Belch's Factory all the way in to the 50s and be set for the rest of the game.

*Tyson*

Smash Ace
I always like to get a little bit ahead of the curve early on so that the rest of the game is easy enough that I can enjoy it. I don't enjoy the act of grinding per se, but I definitely enjoy the benefits a little bit of early grinding provides.

Earthbound is actually a -really- good example of a game I like to get just a bit ahead on. Have you ever gotten Ness in to the 20s before leaving Onett? It's easy to do after you kill Titanic Ant, you can 'grind' free kills on the little ants and slugs that now run away from you so you get easy surprise attacks on them, plus you have access to a free repeating psi butterfly. It makes Twoson and Threed sooooooooo much easier. You can actually do the same thing again later on all of the Foppy in Belch's Factory all the way in to the 50s and be set for the rest of the game.
Yeah, i have seen people do that, and i know it is easily done. That ruins the game IMO. I personally love a challenge and can't stand it when a game is really easy. Defeats the whole purpose if you ask me. By doing that, you make the rest of the less enjoyable. It's like oh sweet a boss!!! (5 hits later) "oh, thats it? hmmm lame" I would much rather get to a boss under leveled (which i normally do) and have a struggle. Then it's like you actually accomplished something. If anything, i like to do low level games, to make it more difficult. Like leaving Onett at around level 3 or 4. It's possible. Only get EXP from Titanic Ant and the Cops

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
Yeah, i have seen people do that, and i know it is easily done. That ruins the game IMO. I personally love a challenge and can't stand it when a game is really easy. Defeats the whole purpose if you ask me. By doing that, you make the rest of the less enjoyable. It's like oh sweet a boss!!! (5 hits later) "oh, thats it? hmmm lame" I would much rather get to a boss under leveled (which i normally do) and have a struggle. Then it's like you actually accomplished something. If anything, i like to do low level games, to make it more difficult. Like leaving Onett at around level 3 or 4. It's possible. Only get EXP from Titanic Ant and the Cops
See, I'm trying to get in to game design and I've put some thought in to that type of thing. What you and I are describing are just two of the options on how to play the game. Even then there are still hundreds of other options you could go by, each catering to a different type of player who likes a different type of experience when playing the game. I like to grind a bit to get ahead, you prefer the challenge of being a bit behind. Some other dude somewhere in the world has probably gone all the way to level 99 before even talking to Pokey. That type of open gameplay is one of the things that makes Earthbound freaking awesome, especially since it allows the player to make that kind of decision.

My problem with FF13 is that I don't even have that type of option in front of me. I can only go as far as the game will allow me to, which to me feels limiting and frustrating and completely un-fun. So far the game has only been "Here's the story, play it" and there hasn't been anything aside from that. This game is really crying out for a Gold Saucer type of area or some sort of way to go off the beaten path and do something that you don't -have- to do but you can benefit greatly from (like the events in Star Ocean 2 that allow you to get characters like Opera or Ashton).

On the other side of the coin, the story for 13 so far has been great. The way they're telling the story is kind of convoluted, which annoys me a bit, but other than that it's really enthralling and I find myself liking individual characters more and more as the game progresses. I'm definitely eager to sandbox a bit when it the game opens up and lets me run around, which is a good sign. As of right now I'm giving 13 about a 6 out of 10, but that will likely improve as the game progresses. I'll keep you updated :p

Edit - lmao @ Fogo

NeoBatou

Smash Ace
Pretty much what I had said before.....when your not giving other options on how to play a game, it's not as fulfilling...and as far as what I said before, if you didnt' grind in FFXII, your not gonna get very far with optional bosses and what not.

In other news, Batou playing Metaknight? We'll see. Many people are telling me to go MK or Marth.

mydadsacop123

Smash Apprentice
i do like a challenge from the bosses. I remember the first time i fought mondo mole he was destroying me and i won from my guts with 1 hp. then i read "oh u can paralyze him and he cant do anything":urg: i also liked magicant. solo ness with krakens everywhere aaaaaaa

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Batou- I'd try out Marth or Wario. You'll probably like aerial based characters more than Olimar or Snake.

NeoBatou

Smash Ace
Batou- I'd try out Marth or Wario. You'll probably like aerial based characters more than Olimar or Snake.
Dang DMG I haven't hanged out with you in a long time. We'll need to do that.
I've had tried thinking about using Wario...just the whole grab release thing is something I'll need to avoid but other than that he's pretty damn good IMO....

Well you would know since your Wario is legit :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom