• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DFW Brawl Thread: Batou Monthly, Feb 18th - Revolution 10, Mar 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
oh my ****ing God I'm there purely on principle dude

I would try to go to Thanksgimping but I'm going to a Stars game the night before, no clue how late I'll be out :p

Denti

Smash Master
I can leave whenever infinity! What time do you think we'd be leaving?

Denti's carpool for Thanksgimping
1. Denti
2. Fogo
3. Batou
4. Infinity

One last spot! Anyone interested?

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
I really don't know dude, me and my sister are taking my dad to the game as a birthday preset for him. The game starts at 7:30, so I'll call and let you know as soon as it's over, but if you guys are willing to wait until late like that then I'd love to go.

So uhhh, I need a teammate for this weekend >.>"

Denti

Smash Master
Well I don't even know much about competitive melee, but I always like to chose a top or relatively high tier character. I always thought jigglypuff was cool but the only thing she looks like she is top for is her down B. Am I right?

edit: Isn't melee a character counter game? So shouldn't I invest my time into more than 1 character?

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Well I don't even know much about competitive melee, but I always like to chose a top or relatively high tier character. I always thought jigglypuff was cool but the only thing she looks like she is top for is her down B. Am I right?

edit: Isn't melee a character counter game? So shouldn't I invest my time into more than 1 character?
pick either fox falco marth(best char in the game) shiek.

the rest really dont matter and/or require more skill.

Practice tech skill. you can already read foes cause you play brawl. focus on tech skill right now.

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
Denti I fear you may be too campy for Melee lol

You need to do what Xyro said (though jiggz is very good too) and then start watching videos so you can learn combo strings and see what links with what. From then it's all about practice and making sure not to go on auto-pilot.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
It's too late for Falcon. Just go for Shiek or someone easy.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
FREE DORITOS FOR EVERYONE AT THANKSGIMPING!

Seriously..... I'm getting 100 boxes from Doritos on Friday so I will have a ton to give away. I also live down the street from the venue, so I can always come back for more.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
It's highly recommended that you use someone that requires L-canceling so that you'll actually learn how to do it properly before moving on to other characters. Also, don't make the same mistake other new players do...learn the basics before you go for the advanced or flashy stuff. Yeah, it's fun to perform flashy combos, but if you don't know how to L-cancel, space properly, or learn how to avoid edgeguards, you won't have fun when you're getting gimped out 0%.

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
It's highly recommended that you use someone that requires L-canceling so that you'll actually learn how to do it properly before moving on to other characters. Also, don't make the same mistake other new players do...learn the basics before you go for the advanced or flashy stuff. Yeah, it's fun to perform flashy combos, but if you don't know how to L-cancel, space properly, or learn how to avoid edgeguards, you won't have fun when you're getting gimped out 0%.
I learned backwards, and still placed top 10 at pretty much every tourney I went to. Do what you want Denti, just play smart.

Denti

Smash Master

Yeah I've been playing around and I like DK. I've figured out that he has nothing fast up close but he has a little bit of range and doing a grounded up B has priority over most things. Also a full hop fast fall dair over my opponent leads up for epic uair combos.

what are his weaknesses?

How do you L cancel?! lol

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion

Yeah I've been playing around and I like DK. I've figured out that he has nothing fast up close but he has a little bit of range and doing a grounded up B has priority over most things. Also a full hop fast fall dair over my opponent leads up for epic uair combos.

what are his weaknesses?

How do you L cancel?! lol
Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm no Melee player:

You press the shield button as you land a laggy aerial and it will cancel 50% of the landing lag. The easiest way to test it is to down air with Gannon as you fall to the ground and try it with and without L cancelling; you WILL notice a difference when you're successful.

Edit - Alternatively, this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeirvVJ5qTY

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I would not really try to pick up DK unless you are REALLY "connected" to the character because it's so much work. Pick up whoever you need to learn the fundamentals well, and from there go figure out who you are best with.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Denti, no joke, If you dont really care about competitive melee then go dk. if you really wanna get good and have a passion for melee.

Marth (best char in the game)
Fox
Falco
Sheik

These are by far the best chars this game has to offer.

If you HATE those, then try jiggs or peach but dont go any lower. The chances of winning drop alot after that unless you are outstanding at the game or a "exception to the rule"

Get wavedashing and L canceling down to 85% accuracy or more before ANYTHING else. YOU MUST learn to l-cancel and WD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom